PDA

View Full Version : SE Wisconsin gunsmith

30hrrtt
12-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Looking for a good lever gun smith in southeastern Wisconsin. I have a Winchester 94 AE in 44 Mag that is having some ejector problems. It is extracting the fired cases and then after partial extraction, ejector releasing from the case. I had the same problem when I bought it. I took it apart and put in a new ejector spring and it sort of solved the problem but the fired cases just barely fell over the side. That was 11 years ago and the problem of not ejecting lowly coming back.

beltfed
12-25-2020, 07:42 PM
YOu need to operate that rifle "smartly" , as in a fast opening of the lever so as
to throw out that empty
Also, the rifle Extractor may be worn and so it slips off the rim.
Maybe replace that extractor
beltfed/arnie

Prairie Cowboy
12-26-2020, 12:14 AM
A 94 Winchester uses a spring-loaded ejector, as you know. As such, empty cases should eject energetically from the action no matter how slowly you operate the lever.

Without seeing the gun it is difficult to determine exactly what is happening. However, it sounds like the extractor does not have a good bite on the rim of the casing during extraction. Perhaps it is positioned outward too much for some reason and can't hold the rim into the breech face until the casing clears the chamber. Or, perhaps the spring part of the extractor is weak or the claw is worn or improperly shaped.

The fact that empty cases just fall over the side also suggests two possibilities:

1) The loose fit of the casing in the breech face is allowing the ejector to extend prematurely before the casing leaves the chamber, meaning that it can not kick the casing out.

2) The ejector is partly stuck in its' channel and is not able to extend from the breech face properly, despite the spring tension that is pushing on it. If so then it can only impart a very small force to the casing, causing it to simply fall over the side of the action.

jstanfield103
12-26-2020, 09:36 AM
As Prairie Cowboy said. The ejector could also need a slight bend of adjustment. He is also correct it should eject firmly at any lever speed.