PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloader Deer

dk17hmr
12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
I went out tonight in the blowing wind and close to 0 tempertures with the intention of filling my doe tag. I saw 6 deer total and am pretty sure they were all does. The first deer I saw came out about 10 minutes after I sat down in my ladder stand and milled around in our grass field for a few minutes then walked to the edge of a little island of trees and bedded down, about 95 yards away from me. I kept my eye on it and it looked like it was there for the long haul. About 40 minutes later I caught movement to my right side in the thick woods, then more movement, total 5 deer, 3 large does and 2 yearlings only about 50 yards away but fat chance taking a shot through all the limbs and brush. I made up my mind if I got the a shot which one I would take, she was limping very hard. All 5 deer got within 15 yards of my stand but with that many eyes I wasnt going to try and raise my rifle. Well about 5:15 I had a good shot at her about 35 yards, except she was on my right side, meaning I would need to take a left handed shot. I raised my rifle cocked the hammer aimed and fired...only my rifle didnt fire, the deer stayed put so I recocked the hammer and fired. All 5 deer took off, gimpy not as fast as the others, I calmed myself down and sat back for a minute, oddly enough the deer that was in its bed out in front of me was still in its bed. I climbed down walked over to where she was when I shot found some blood and hair so I got my cell phone out of my pocket and called the house to see if my dad was home yet. Mom awnsered the phone and asked if I needed help with the deer she had just herd the shot, told her which stand I was at and to send dad out. While dad was on his way out I reloaded my muzzleloader incase she needed another shot because at the point of impact there was hair but not very much blood. About 5 minutes later here comes my dad and we start trailing about 30 yards down the trail there was enough blood that we shut the lights off and didnt have any trouble following it. She went about 150 yards and piled up.

The 58 caliber round ball entered a little far back but came out right behind the far shoulder taking out one lung and a few ribs. Rifle is my H&R Huntsman, load was 80gr of RS powder, Hornady round ball, prelubed cotton patch, and a CCI no.11 Magnum Musket cap. Not the biggest deer I have taken but I feel good about fixing its leg problem.

Not the best pic but better than no picture.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCF0033.jpg

Heavy lead
12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Cool, she'll eat good, wouldn't made it throught the winter either. Cold here in the mitten, isn't it?

dk17hmr
12-15-2008, 11:08 PM
It is pretty cold its about 3 degrees right now. This deer is actually a 1 1/2 old, we are thinkin she got hit by a car, earlier in the year. I think the broken knee might have effected her feeding because she really isnt that big maybe at the most 85 pound dressed weight. There were 2 other deer that were bigger than much bigger but I knew this one needed to be taken out of the deer population.

357maximum
12-15-2008, 11:19 PM
way to wackem Doug...:drinks:

MT Gianni
12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice going Doug. Watch for any infection pockets near the old wound. They are tough animals but healing takes time. Gianni

waksupi
12-16-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm chilled, just reading the story! Congratulations!

missionary5155
12-16-2008, 06:11 AM
Good morning Congradulations !!! Nothing like a 58 and round ball...

dk17hmr
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I am very impressed with the 58 caliber and round ball. I ussally shoot a 50 caliber and sabots, this is the first year I have owned the 58 so I figured I might as well try it out. I skinned this little doe last night right away while she was still warm it -2 outside right now didnt want to have to do that today. The entrance hole in the hide was a perfect cirlce and the exit was far bigger than I would have expected. The angle of the shot was enough that ball hit the liver and traveled through the far side lung.

That 58 is a hammer, I will probably just use my 50 caliber now for rabbit hunting, 58 is going to be my main big game muzzleloader.

OBXPilgrim
12-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Doug, please tell me wear more clothes than that when you're deer hunting in that cold. I'm going to be froze to the bone just looking at all that snow & reading about 0-3° temps.

Nice lookin Huntsman & way to clean out the weak ones.

357maximum
12-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Doug, please tell me wear more clothes than that when you're deer hunting in that cold. I'm going to be froze to the bone just looking at all that snow & reading about 0-3° temps.

Nice lookin Huntsman & way to clean out the weak ones.

Good thing he did not mention the wind chill factor here then eh?

6pt-sika
12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Congrats !!!!!

Never fired a 58 before ! Largest to date has been a 54 !

Did see a pretty nice TC Big Boar the other day that I might have to reevaluate !

That ones a 58 and would be perfect for the "proposed" primitive season in Virginia hopefully next year !

6pt-sika
12-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Geeeezzzz it was in the twenties here in central Virginia a couple weeks ago and I was wearing all the hunting clothes I had and after a couple hours still getting cold !

Wouldn't do for me to hunt the UP :-(

NSP64
12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Good shootin! 58 cal ---- Kind of makes up for using that plastic gun earlier in the season.[smilie=1:

:kidding:

dk17hmr
12-16-2008, 11:39 PM

Actually that is what I wore out hunting. I wear UnderArmor instead of long johns, teeshirt, sweatshirt, blue jeans and wool socks. My coat is a light UnderArmor windproof almost like a spring jacket, my camo pants are from a Chem1 suit, and Red Ball pack boots. I can sit all day in that set up, I wear the same thing ice fishing when the wind is blowing and temps are below zero

We did have more snow close to 14" but it got above 32 degrees and rained, that knocked most of it down.

Another thing about UnderArmor (UA), on the walk out to my stand I work up a sweat, the UA wicks the sweat away but keeps my body heat close to my body.

dk17hmr
12-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Good shootin! 58 cal ---- Kind of makes up for using that plastic gun earlier in the season.[smilie=1::

I figured it might. Still have 1 more buck tag that doubles as a doe tag for archery season so I might still try and take one more.

Pioneer2
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Whatever would you do in Alberta in -40F ?................-3 ain't cold..................too funny...............Harold

home in oz
01-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Good Shot!

Mostly do my muzzleloader hunting in Kansas in SEPT.

Shot a buck on 22 SEPT last fall.

Nice not to shiver whilst waiting for the crackle of leaves in the woods!

waksupi
01-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Tip o' the day. When it is minus 40, don't put your lips on your muzzle, and blow down the barrel. Saw a guy do that once. Everyone ELSE thought it was funny!

StrawHat
01-16-2009, 06:37 AM
The last deer I shot was with a 58 PRB, it certainly has the right amount of power to do the trick.

The Huntsman is a good looking rifle.

Glad it worked for you.

bcarver
01-16-2009, 09:57 AM
I can't understand why people live up so far north. It is 26 degrees in Mississippi and I am avoiding going outside.
I haven't seen snow on the ground in years, never shoveled the stuff. No snow blower. No icing the sidewalk.

dk17hmr
01-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I can understand why people live so far south. I was down in Jacksonville Florida the first week of November, its was about 70 degrees and I hated it....short sleves, short pants, just plan sucked. A week after that I was at deer camp in the west end of the U.P. temps were right around 20 degrees and I was much happier.

I think the cold keeps people away, which I am ok with. Down in Jacksonville it took us 40 minutes to get the 4.5 miles to the post office, at home here it takes me 5 minutes to get the 5 miles to the post office. Ill take the cold any time.

piwo
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Firstly, Congrats on the score! The thrill of shooting large game with muzzleloaders is something I'll never tire of. You paid your dues in the weather, and got the result. NICE!

and a CCI no.11 Magnum Musket cap.

There was a thread some time ago discussing this, and it fit's into my findings. I have never, ever, ever had a simple #11 cap fail to fire, and the only delay fire I ever encountered was due to me forgetting to snap a couple caps off before loading (to clear out any solvents that might be hiding). I have talked to several guys who have had the magnum caps not go off, or not set the charge off (the later not making much sense, but that's what they've said).

I mostly shoot my flint now, but I still shoot my double barrel percussion shotgun with a stout load, and will never use anything other then the standard #11's.

Congrats again!

northmn
02-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Living in MN I find that it really does not get cold until about -10. Then it gets ahrd to dress for the weather and sit still. My biggest gripe this winter has been the butt deep snow that keeps me from doing those things I planned on. You have reinforced my own experiences with ML's. If you want more power than a 50RB use a bigger bore. I am currently working up a 58 on an English styled hunting rifle in Flintlock and am looking forward to trying it. Hope you continue to enjoy the sport.

Northmn

elk hunter
02-16-2009, 03:26 PM
dk17hmr;

Congratulations and thanks for doing the right thing on the doe. A hunter with ethics is welcome in my camp anytime.

Regards,

Elk Hunter

dk17hmr
02-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Used the Magnum Musket caps because thats what the gun shop had on the shelf. :)