PDA

View Full Version : Henry Single Shot in 357 Max

wch
12-25-2020, 11:32 AM
Has anyone rechambered the Henry from 357 magnum to 357 Maximum?
If so, how'd that work for you?

NSB
12-25-2020, 11:42 AM
Mike Bellm and a few others have been doing this since they came out. Many of them went right from Henry directly to Bellm to have it done. This saved on shipping and having the end user only pay to ship one time. I have a couple of single shot max’s, but not a Henry. From what I have read on line from people who bought them they worked fine. There’s no reason for them not to, it’s a pretty simple process to lengthen the chamber from mag to max. One of my guns, a Winchester Low Wall (Miroku) had it done and it shot extremely well. If you’re thinking of having it done, don’t give it a second thought.

rockrat
12-25-2020, 01:34 PM
Did my Ruger #1 357mag. to 357max

Hamish
12-25-2020, 01:45 PM
If Mike Bellm were to screw up a rechamber to Max and let it get out the door, there would be no end to it across the internet, until Hell froze over,,,,,,

dverna
12-25-2020, 01:49 PM
There is a long thread by Megasupermagnum (IIRC) on the single shot Henry. Mixed reviews from what I recall. Some issues with the trigger.

I am interested on a single shot .357 but do not want a break open or I would give one a try. I expect a good gunsmith would be able to tune the trigger but it may be a crap shoot. Some fellows here had better luck than others. MSM seems to be pretty knowledgeable and I would PM him before moving forward.

Here is link on the trigger recall:

https://www.henryusa.com/recall/

I am too ignorant to judge if the modifications the gentlemen talked about on the thread would have made the situation better or worse.

cwlongshot
12-25-2020, 10:25 PM
I never met Larry Bellum. But I have read allot and he has his haters. On GBO he was one who could not be mentioned when Bill ran things.
Its a very easy process. You can watch on the utube.

I have done a number of them. Be sure that you can get a RIFLE reamer and see what the throat it cuts.

I have done a few guns before they was ever even shot...

357 Max generally IMPROVES the accuracy if the Magnums fired from it. 38 's shoot well in mine but not as well in some. You can also shoot DW cases.

The Maxi is a dandy caliber well suited to close and moderate range big game. .358 bullets can be fired safely.

Too bad Hornady discoed the SSP 180 it was THE MAXI hunting bullet for many folks. The 200 FTX is working well as would many cast bullets. Respectable velocities have been atainable
Well in and even exceeding 35 Remington ballistics in some barrels.

Good luck

CW