PDA

View Full Version : Hex barrel for a Marlin Ballard build

warren5421
12-25-2020, 09:43 AM
I have a "J.M.MARLIN NEW-HAVEN CONN. U.S.A. BALLARD'S PATENT. NOV.3 18?6" marked action that has a very bad barrel. The barrel is removed and cut to 28" and drilled for a .25-20 WIN liner, not chambered. Gun was a .40-63 Ballard. What barrel company would you go to for a octagon heavy barrel 32" bored for the .38-55 I think .375 dia. twist of 12-1 as I want to shoot 300 gr or heavier PB bullets. After getting the barrel who would you use to do the work of repairing/replacing or making parts for the action, mating and chambering the barrel. I know it will cost as have done it to other wall hangers. I am 75 and the gunsmiths I used are retired or dead now. This gun spoke to me, first time in 25 years, so I have to see what I can do. The action is the good one that Marlin made.

22cf45
12-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Green Mountain is a barrel a lot of us Ballard enthusiasts go to for octagon barrels like you want. They shoot very well. As I'm sure you know, Marlin Ballard's were made in both cast actions and milled, forged actions. I wouldn't put a centerfire barrel on a cast action. If your's is milled, you are good to go.
Phil

Deadeye Bly
12-25-2020, 11:10 AM
First off, it is not a hex barrel but an octagon barrel. Green Mountain has barrels with a 12" twist for the 38/55 cartridge. The have several size tapers from #3, #3 1/2, #4. with #3 being the lightest and #4 the heaviest. The 3 1/2 is the #4 size at the breech and the #3 size at the muzzle. Take a look at their website. Steve Durren at Johnson's Sporting Goods in Adrian MI is one of the best black powder gunsmiths in the business. He is not fast or cheap but you get what you pay for. If the rifle was originally a 40/63 it is most likely a forged action. Forged actions are solid under the barrel area inside the action. If yours is hollow in this area it is a cast action and not suitable for a 38/55.

pietro
12-25-2020, 11:34 AM

Good luck with your project - it's very fulfilling to satisfy one's lust, rifles no exception.

Ballard's are pretty neat, as SS rifles go.

Merry Christmas, all !

22cf45
12-26-2020, 12:42 PM
I have a couple of gunsmiths I use here in Missouri and will be happy to give you their contact info if you want it. Otherwise, visit the forum on ASSRA.com. We talk about these type things constantly.
Phil