PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman MoldMaster Model 61

jcw1970
12-15-2008, 10:13 PM
anyone have one of these and are still using it? Just want to know how well it works. I picked one up to do smaller jobs.

HeavyMetal
12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I have one that I got in a yard sale 12 or more years ago.

I have it hooked up underneath an old Lee 10# bottom pour. I cast out of the Lyman and use the Lee to keep a reserve of alloy on tap!

Great Idea I stole from another member! For production needs with a lee 6 banger, or two, this works pretty good!

I have recently added a Lyman 20 # dipping pot that I got with a bunch of other casting stuff from an add I saw in the local newspaper!

I figure That I'll soon have a pair of 230 grain 45 cal 6 bangers on hand and I may well need to rotate between the three pots!

Calamity Jake
12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
The Model 61 was made by Saeco for Lyman, I have one of each the only difference is color and name and both will heat lead alloy above 900°.

John@JCDLESales
12-20-2008, 04:41 AM
I have one also and recently rebuilt it sans the heat adjustment knob I'm still looking for.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/MP5Guy/IMG_0003.jpg

montana_charlie
12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I found mine in an electrical repair shop in 1970-something. It had come in for a new thermostat, and the owner never returned. I got the pot for the price of the repair bill.

There was a ten-year hiatus when I never turned it on, but it works like a champ.
I have retired it (again) in favor of a dipper-only pot made by Waage...which also holds more alloy.
CM

Le Loup Solitaire
12-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Seasons Greetings. As stated previously, this pot was manufactured by Saeco for Lyman...in addition to their own model #24. These pots were among the best ever made. The quality was excellent and they were durable and long lasting. I have the Saeco version for over 30 years now and it is still going strong. There are posts already on record at this forum by members who have detailed the sources of parts if needed and the rebuilding of any aspect of functioning. I have maintained my own pot and on a couple of occasions have touched up the exterior with spray stove black 1200 degree paint marketed by Rustoleum, available at hardware stores, Walmart, etc. I keep the exposed cast iron crucible and metal parts wiped down when cold with an oily rag to avoid rust. It is one tough s.o.b. of a pot and I would hang on to it as it is hard to match quality wise nowadays. enjoy casting. LLS

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Ive got one thats as old as me. IVe also got two 20 lb lymans (the new design) and both have been rebuilt once and one just took a crap again. That old 10lb pot has more hours on it then a 80 year old ***** and it still works like new. I wish they built a 20 or 30 lb pot that was as good!!!

scrapcan
12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I have one also that seems to keep ticking. I had to fab a new plate for the leads as the isenglass that held the pins fell apart. It now has a new ceramic holder and the detachable cord is still detachable.