PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Christmas Eve - First time casting boolits ever - Success!

LEADLUBBER
12-25-2020, 02:43 AM
Just thought I would share with the team and ask any tips on things I could do better...

working with molds for a .480 Ruger in a Super Redhawk

I had my first bullet casting experience today, after only ever smelting ww and solder lead for ingots....

Working with my 7 year old son and we were casting with a brand new aluminum 6 hole mold, a leaky 10lb Lee pot without a working temperature control, just a manual on-off switch, and a hot plate.

The mold looked very clean and I didn't see any signs of oil, so I just tried to smoke it with a lighter, but of course, the lighter I had on hand wouldn't smoke the mold at all. I used some Sprue plate lube before warming the mold up on a high wattage hotplate I got on Amazon about a year ago.

I have a dinky round-gauge thermometer that goes up to 500 but will keep going around even further, so I was watching the wheel weight ingots start to melt at what was showing 500 or a little less.

First few attempts, the mold was not hot enough or the lead wasn't either....

Finally, got the mold warmed up somewhere around 300-350 (I think), but that is sort of a guess, because my infrared thermometer went wonky on me and was giving me readings all over the place from 200F to 1200F...

When the round-thermometer started showing somewhere around what I believe would be 700-750 (I think, because it only reads up to 500, but it kept going around), the bullets started to really fill out nice with no weirdness, if not a little frosty when I let it get a little past that temp range....

I would hold the mold over a little metal tray, and have my boy lift the lever to let the lead flow out as I worked the mold under, hole by hole, then I would have to tap the improvised-homemade flow-control bolt to get it to stop leaking after the mold was filled.

It seemed to take about 5 seconds to solidify and then I would have my boy cut the sprues off and I would then put them back in the pot while I told him to wait just a few more seconds until opening the mold and dropping the bullets in a 5 gal bucket with water in it and a cloth top with a slit to keep it from splashing.

Once we got a pretty good cadence going, we made quite a few boolits (over 120 or so), and I think there are less than a handful of duds, with lots of others that turned out very good to perfect.

I have a Miha MP-640 Mold for the .480 Ruger, but, I wanted to start on this aluminum mold first and get my basis of understanding and hopefully some success.

If Anyone has more tips and hints, it would be appreciated.... I am thinking now of making a cheap PID temp controller for the pot with directions from here, and re-doing the flow control rod tip, as it probably needs a seat cut in or lapped in with compound.

My son was very excited to get to do this with me today, and we really had a great time together making these lumps of lead.
He was very proud of our work and it made a nice memory during this Christmas holiday.

This has been a tough year for me with very bad health with spinal stenosis, and both of my hands getting arthritis, and then going completely numb and pins and needles of pain while typing, driving, and trying to tinker on stuff at my workbench; It required having both carpal tunnel surgeries back to back in the last 2 weeks and I had major issues because I waited too long.... Now I need a laminectomy that will only help some of my spinal issues...

In all of this, I still know how blessed we are and how lucky I am.

God Bless, Merry Christmas, and Happy Boolit making new Year to all!

TjB101
12-25-2020, 06:09 AM
Merry Christmas to you. I keep a candle burning near the pot to smoke the mold ... tends to do better than a lighter for smoking ... especially a candle with a longer wick.

DHDeal
12-25-2020, 08:29 AM
The "smoke the mold" trick is only a trick. A clean mold is the easiest to cast with. It was hard to get that idea through my head when I started as it seems to make sense that some sort of barrier needs to be between the mold and the molten lead. Oxidation takes care of that barrier and the oxidation forms from use. A new mold for me is the hardest to cast with. I clean all new molds as best I can with an ultrasonic machine but hot water, dawn, and a old toothbrush does a good job too. Then and only then if I'm having issues with fillout, I'll smoke it using a butane lighter. The smoke from a candle flame has wax in it. You're adding what would be a contaminant into the mold where you want no contamination. Use a butane lighter if necessary for a new mold.

That brass MP mold can be a tricky SOB if you don't KNOW the alloy temperature. No offense intended or implied here, but get a thermometer that goes up to what temperature you plan to cast to. I have a couple different Fluke infrared thermometers and while they are useful for many things, I haven't used them for casting. All I want to know is the alloy temperature down where I'm dipping from (in your case where you're pouring from). The mold, once preheated, tells me how happy it is by the quality of the bullets and how easy it is to cut the sprue.

asecertified
12-25-2020, 09:08 AM
LEADLUBBER Thank you for sharing that story with us. It brought back memories this Christmas morning of my oldest son and I casting bullets together for the first time. He was about the same age as your son at the time. He is now 47 years old. Yes my son and his sons are bullet casters also. We all try to get together a few times a year and sit around the casting pots to make those shinny projectiles. The last time we cast together my grandson brought his son to watch and learn the joys of bullet casting from his great grandfather. Yes those 10 cavity cast iron H&G molds are to heavy for these old hands and arms to handle anymore so the younger generation now owns them but I still enjoy the aluminum 2 and 4 bangers. Its amazing what family traditions we are handing down without realizing it. Merry Christmas Everyone

onelight
12-25-2020, 09:13 AM
Wow sounds like a good time with your son !
You did much better than I did when I first started I was more like Forrest Gump when he started shrimping cast all day and got 6 .
Welcome to casting .

charlie b
12-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Great memories.

I stopped smoking my molds a while ago too. Just keep them clean. Usually, if one of mine gets 'sticky' it is because of bad temperatures.

Those spouts on the Lee 10lb can get messed up quite easily. The bars are a weird shape. Do empty the pot and clean it all out. I've used the green scrub pads to clean them out.

Teddy (punchie)
12-25-2020, 09:35 AM
Olive oil season the mold. Like a cast iron skillet.

OS OK
12-25-2020, 10:00 AM
((( I would have my boy cut the sprues off and I would then put them back in the pot )))

Just my opinion but I think when you do this, put sprue cuts back into the pot each time... the sprues take oxidized metal from the skin of oxidized lead, tin & antimony on top of the melt down into the melt and that oxidized boolit metal gets into the casts, into the inside of them and on the surface and cause imperfections.

Merry Christmas, I made my memories with my kids 45 years ago the same way...precious memories now as I look back.

Thumbcocker
12-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Clay based cat litter on top of the melt helps with oxidation.

LEADLUBBER
12-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Merry Christmas Morning and Thanks for the kind words of advice everyone!

As for safety, I did want to also mention that we did the casting on the back porch on a table in a very light and luckily not-too-cold Colorado breeze yesterday, with my son and I wearing eye protection and leather gloves for both of us. The kid-sized little leather gloves were a great advent calendar gift yesterday morning!

We both washed hands and face well afterwards with soap and I feel we kept safety protocols enough to keep us in good shape and no burns.

LEADLUBBER
12-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Wow sounds like a good time with your son !
You did much better than I did when I first started I was more like Forrest Gump when he started shrimping cast all day and got 6 .
Welcome to casting .

That Gump comment made me laugh!

onelight
12-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Sounds like you were safe . Good job.

onelight
12-25-2020, 11:22 AM
Here is a video for parents during our current situation .
I have posted this before I hope it's not against the rules to post it again.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=One+Voice+Choir+All+Songs&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dOne%2bVoice%2bChoir%2b All%2bSongs%26Form%3dVDRSCL%26%3d0&view=detail&mid=68B18F8682EC4C8B220D68B18F8682EC4C8B220D&&FORM=VDRVSR

popper
12-25-2020, 12:23 PM
My son was very excited to get to do this with me today, and we really had a great time together making these lumps of lead.
Stuff memories are made from.
I drop sprue into a pan, then remelt and flux when the back is tired or pot drops to half. Avoids the little splatters and keeps the melt clean. Drop through sawdust or litter and that stuff goes into the bullets.
I smoke the mold if it needs it and use #2 pencil on the sprue plate, very little 2 stroke oil on the pivot.