PDA

View Full Version : Only being able to reload a couple thousand.

Overalls87
12-25-2020, 01:30 AM
If you were only capeable of reloading a couple thousand rounds of 38 special. Would you be happy or want for more? Mind you. You are only capeable of loading 500 lswc and 500 lswchp???

Overalls87
12-25-2020, 01:32 AM
I've said it wrong too. Only be able to load 1000 rounds of ammo...

dverna
12-25-2020, 02:07 AM
I would kick my *** for being that stupid.

kevin c
12-25-2020, 05:50 AM
Need to know a bit more to make a constructive comment....

GasGuzzler
12-25-2020, 06:45 AM
WTH? :killingpc

Brass&Lead
12-25-2020, 07:24 AM
Over what period of time?

farmerjim
12-25-2020, 07:41 AM
I have more than that in the room with me now.

AlHunt
12-25-2020, 07:56 AM
If you were only capeable of reloading a couple thousand rounds of 38 special. Would you be happy or want for more? Mind you. You are only capeable of loading 500 lswc and 500 lswchp???

You mean for today, right? I could probably squeak by with 9mm, 357, 44Mag, 38 S&W, 10MM, 30-06 and a few others if I only had a thousand 38 to get me through the day.

toallmy
12-25-2020, 08:00 AM
With a limited number of primers , you should consider loading only as needed . Unless all you load with small pistol primers is 38s .

DHDeal
12-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Why only 1000? Because of lack of components, time, or storage. I believe many are confused by the thread being either a question or a statement.

If it's a question, then no 1000 is not enough and if it's a statement, then you already know 1000 is not enough.

GhostHawk
12-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Load what you can when you can, when the spirit moves you. And then SIT on those loaded rounds.

When you go to the range instead of shooting 100, shoot 20. And call it good. Make each shot count.

A thousand rounds is a lot of rounds unless your competing. If you are this may be the time to take a break.

onelight
12-25-2020, 09:05 AM
With a limited number of primers , you should consider loading only as needed . Unless all you load with small pistol primers is 38s .
I am with this I normally try to keep 1 to 3 , 50 cal ammo cans full of loaded for the stuff I shoot the most and am down to 7 to 8k pistol primers so am not going to be refilling my cans as I normally would . So I can pick what to load if I start getting low . And also going to reduce # of rounds per range trip if we don't start getting primers at a reasonable cost in the next few months.

Cargo
12-25-2020, 09:14 AM
If a person had a .38 and the means to reload a thousand rounds, they would still be in a better position than most.

Personally, I would hope for more and would still add on whenever I could.

I've drastically reduced our reloading except for what we need in order to conserve resources.

Teddy (punchie)
12-25-2020, 09:17 AM
Yes too many need to shoot 1000 and 1000's more. Did it make them a better shot? In my opinion making a better shot come with muscle control not shooting more and more just to make noise. Learn fast shoot fast and blow ammo. Learn slow, control and learn to shoot right then learn faster, control of muscle. Last one I got took to range a shot 3 times at 25 yds. 3" high 3" to left, 1.5 inch group. It was place into hands of buddy to shoot a few more. No need to make more noise. Most don't even shoot a 9mm at 25 yards.(75 ft.) If I'm 3" off center at 25 yds. that is good enough. Why do I need to blow through more ammo. Practice pointing that firearm not just making noise. I point, not aim most pistols now deer hunting that one I aim.

I see time and time again people talking about not shooting at a running deer. Joke around is don't have Teddy shoot at a standing deer. Now if its running and he shooting its dead, LOL, This comes after 20 years ago at 35 yds, missing a nice 18-20 inch 8 point, drilled a tree, then even messed up again looking the wrong direction, going after him, he was standing the other direction. So one of the guys I hunt with seen me take a 85 yd shot on a deer, on a flat out dead run across a pipeline, dead deer. First thing I do is shoulder a gun, shoulder it more. Now darn ducks in the wind that a whole in the air, I shoot a lot of air.

charlie b
12-25-2020, 09:20 AM
I don't shoot my pistols a lot, only to keep my skills from being too rusty. So, no, I don't have 1000 loaded, and never will.

I keep enough supplies around to make a few thousand.

Green Frog
12-25-2020, 11:18 AM
This confusing question has stirred up much more heat than light? Why are you limited to 1000 rounds? How long will this limitation apply? What are you going to use the loaded ammo for? Do you have access to other components so you can change the ratio at will? Are you losing access to reloading equipment or running out of components that are deemed irreplaceable? So many questions, so little information about the parameters of the question... :groner:

As to the question, "... would you want for more?" This would require answering some of the questions in the previous paragraph. I know people who own 38 revolvers for whom 1000 rounds would be a lifetime supply with lots to pass on to their children. At my advanced age, 1000 rounds would make me happy... for at least 10 trips to the range with my K-38 and Model 60. :mrgreen:

Froggie

bangerjim
12-25-2020, 01:06 PM
I have over 2,500+ cleaned, primed (B4 shortage hit), and ready-to-load 9mm cases.....ready to go.......as I need them! Same with my other favorite cals. I would never load 1,000 of anything, unless it was for a machine gun!!!!!!!

With the ridiculous primer shortage going on right now, you may want some of those precious primers for another cal?

Load a few hundred and shoot them. Then load some more! Don't marry yourself to just one boolit weight and profile. I have 5 different ones just for the 9mm guns. And tons more for all my other revolvers, pistoles and rifles in 223/30/38/40/44/45. A couple hundred is all I ever load at any one time with just one boolit weight/profile. Change around my place is constant!

Some like to brag about having a massive stockpile of read-to-go ammo stashed away. I have enough (just ask the wife :veryconfu )! I just like to keep loading options open for new and different challenges done the road.

Good luck on your choices.

banger :guntootsmiley:

Petander
12-25-2020, 01:40 PM
When you go to the range instead of shooting 100, shoot 20. And call it good. Make each shot count.

This is what I do. I shoot almost every day but often only half a box.

Conditor22
12-25-2020, 01:48 PM
I've said it wrong too. Only be able to load 1000 rounds of ammo...

Our question is WHY are you only able to reload 1,000???

Overalls87
12-25-2020, 03:45 PM
Alright guys. As of right now I can load over 5k. It's technically a hypothetical question because we don't actually know what lies ahead of us. Due to shortages. But if said 1000 rounds was all you were going to load for the foreseeable future. Would you still be content with that or want for more?

Bazoo
12-25-2020, 03:53 PM
This is what I do. I shoot almost every day but often only half a box. I'll bet you're a fine shot too. I used to do exactly that. I got good quick. Did it for two or three years. At the time I could hit an empty shotgun hull off hand at 25 yards with a 22 pistol.

As per the OP. Guess it pends on your needs and such. I don't shoot 38s much, a thousand will last me a couple years. I'd be worried if it was my main caliber.

onelight
12-25-2020, 05:19 PM
To maintain what I shoot I need 100 to 200 twice a week but I don't have to shoot that much I just like to , some of those are 22lr .
My shooting improved when I limited myself to 50 or less a session like Petander mentioned mine was 2 or 3 times a week.

45r
12-25-2020, 08:58 PM
1000 rounds of 38 is enough for now.
I'd save the rest of your resources till things settle down.

Green Frog
12-25-2020, 09:27 PM
The kicker lies in your question, "Would you still be content with that or want for more?" I would say the universal answer here would always be "Want for more!" Any time someone puts a limit on anything we would want, the natural reaction is "More please." It's just human nature.

Froggie

reddog81
12-25-2020, 09:44 PM
I wouldn’t be content with 1,000. But that’s why I have more components stockpiled than that.

LabGuy
12-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Depends on my plans. Sometimes I shoot 1k 38 spl in a week, sometimes it last a year.

onelight
12-25-2020, 10:22 PM
It all depends on how much you want to shoot and or how often you want to reload that cartridge and what supplies you have available.

fatelvis
12-26-2020, 02:19 PM
Honestly, we are all making these decisions right now ourselves, taking into account our own needs concerning SD, competition, informal target, plinking, hunting, etc., and how many components we have. I don't know your circumstances, but If you arent loading for competition, and for informal practice, I would say using 20% of your primers for common use would be acceptable. After all, for most people who shoot every other weekend, or once a month, 1000 rounds is a lot of ammo, and should last quite a while, and you would still have 80% left in reserve.

rockshooter
12-27-2020, 05:57 PM
I like stocking components but not loaded ammo. I keep in mind the problem my widow would have disposing of a lot of reloaded ammo. Components are much easier to dispose of in that case.
Loren

onelight
12-27-2020, 06:05 PM
I am wanting to leave a good supply for my kids and grandkids along with the guns.

mvintx
12-27-2020, 07:42 PM
I consider a thousand rounds a nice round number to keep on hand for an unknown future. Our comfort levels are all different from one another and if a thousand is what you like, then by all means do it. Put 'em in a couple of GI ammo cans with a note as to the boolit and powder weight and the date you loaded them. They'll be a nice find for your heirs if you don't need them beforehand and I pray that we don't.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-27-2020, 07:53 PM
I load one. I am happy. That is all.

Petander
12-27-2020, 09:10 PM
Any time someone puts a limit on anything we would want, the natural reaction is "More please." It's just human nature.

Froggie

Very true.

1000 rounds might get spent in two active range trips with AK / AR / Pistols. I've sold most of my "brass spreaders"...

On the other hand,my typical (almost daily) winter revolver trip uses 25-50 rounds.

MT Gianni
12-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Kinda like if aliens abducted your child would you buy orange juice. It assumes far too many thoughts not known as facts.
Yes if I could only reload IK 38's it would go well with what I have stashed.

Iron369
12-27-2020, 09:46 PM
I’m not going to reload 38’s. I wouldn’t use my resources for that. But that’s because I don’t shoot that caliber for anything other than fun. I don’t carry revolvers. If I’m going to use primers, it’s going to be practicing with something I may use.

remy3424
12-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Very true.

1000 rounds might get spent in two active range trips with AK / AR / Pistols. I've sold most of my "brass spreaders"...

On the other hand,my typical (almost daily) winter revolver trip uses 25-50 rounds.

You retired fellas have it made!!! If I make it to retirement, I will get to shooting more then.

David2011
12-28-2020, 08:30 AM
You retired fellas have it made!!! If I make it to retirement, I will get to shooting more then.

I thought that, too. I’m busier in retirement than I was before retiring and unfortunately it’s farther to a range. That was a choice made to live close to my aging parents so no regrets.

avogunner
12-28-2020, 08:52 AM
I like stocking components but not loaded ammo. I keep in mind the problem my widow would have disposing of a lot of reloaded ammo. Components are much easier to dispose of in that case.
Loren

I load as needed mostly because reloading is my hobby and I enjoy it but also this ^^. Right now, my wife would have bidding wars on the components I have on hand an could liquidate it pretty quick. Of course my master plan is to have it all shot up before that time happens :2gunsfiring_v1:

Semper Fi

jeepyj
12-28-2020, 09:04 AM
38 spl is my go to so I'd have to say not enough and I would want more. Even though I have a reasonable amount of back stock the unknown of how long this shortage is going to last makes myself and others in our circle shoot a bit differently. As in more precision work, more single shots, sprinkling in more .22s. We've even been playing card games and darts. What counts to us is the fact we're still getting out most every week to enjoy the comrardery, sharing stories and enjoy a coffee.

kenton
12-28-2020, 04:18 PM
Kinda like if aliens abducted your child would you buy orange juice. It assumes far too many thoughts not known as facts.
Yes if I could only reload IK 38's it would go well with what I have stashed.

Yes, but only heavy pulp/grove stand style. With that amount of emotion I don't think I could bear drinking, let alone purchasing, thin textureless orange juice.

fredj338
12-29-2020, 01:54 PM
This current shortage is one reason I dont keep 1000s of rounds of loaded ammo. I like being flexible on what I have on hand. I load for 25 calibers. If I put all my primers into say 9mm, then I wont have them if i want 357sig or 40 or 357mag.

fredj338
12-29-2020, 01:55 PM
i like stocking components but not loaded ammo. I keep in mind the problem my widow would have disposing of a lot of reloaded ammo. Components are much easier to dispose of in that case.
Loren

^^this^^^

AlHunt
12-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Alright guys. As of right now I can load over 5k. It's technically a hypothetical question because we don't actually know what lies ahead of us. Due to shortages. But if said 1000 rounds was all you were going to load for the foreseeable future. Would you still be content with that or want for more?

If there's ammo or components in the world that I don't possess, then I'm not content. I'm operating right now on the assumption that the situation is not going to improve and will probably get worse.