PDA

View Full Version : Kimber fit

Half Dog
12-24-2020, 06:46 PM
I have a full sized Kimber 1911 CustomII in a 9mm and I really enjoy shooting it. I need some input about the grip though. For the grip to feel ideal, for me, I believe the grip would need to be extended toward the trigger. Perhaps I’m the problem but I wanted to ask your opinion what I can get or how to get more skin contact with the grip for someone with longer fingers/hands.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bazoo
12-24-2020, 07:22 PM
Fatter grips and or an arched mainspring housing. 1911s normally have a short trigger with an arched MSH, or a long trigger and a flat MSH. An arched MSH with long trigger gives the longest trigger reach. I'd try pachmayr American legend grips or classic wrap around grips for a bit more grip size.

Personally a flat MSH and a long trigger is too long for me. I prefer A1 configuration, arched MSH and short trigger.

Forgot to mention, you can shim the grips for a temporary test to help you figure out what you need. Cardboard from a cereal box will do bout right and be easy enough to make.

MrWolf
12-25-2020, 06:50 AM
My problem with grips is slightly different in that I have some nerve damage in last three fingers. I have found a Hogue grip helps. It seems to me to increase the grip width which may do what you are looking for and they are not that expensive. May even be able to return it if not what you are looking for. Good luck.

12-25-2020, 09:13 AM
I have average sized hands-large glove size. I like setting a 1911 up with arched main spring housings, and a standard, medium reach trigger. There are some grips available that have a wrap around front section. They are made of rubber. Gold Cups, and Delta Elites used to come with them. https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/signature-grips-prod9764.aspx