PDA

View Full Version : Barrel examination after shooting .22 RF jacket bullets

pertnear
12-24-2020, 12:22 PM
I did an advance search but I couldn't find any threads about this. Forgive me if this has been discussed before & perhaps point me to the proper post if this is an old question.

I swage .224 cal bullets using recycled .22 RF jackets. Can anyone comment on the effects of shooting many hundreds of these through a rifle barrel? I know PD shooters go through hundreds of rounds on a good day & perhaps some use these bullets. Seems like a lot of shooters have bore-scopes these days too & can comment.

Is the brass/copper fouling similar? Are barrels harder/easier to clean? Any positive/negative effects?

TIA...

bigjake
12-24-2020, 01:43 PM
Thats a good question. The brass is soft, the cases were annealed before they were swaged. Im sure that the brass isnt going to wear down the steel but when it comes to sticking to the rifling I dont know which is worse, copper or brass, which is copper and zinc mixed.

akajun
01-19-2021, 08:05 PM
What wears a barrel is powder gasses not the bullet. Most wear is in the throat where the gasses are most hot and they escape around the bullet some in the jump of the throat
Then slightly at the muzzle some where the bullet leaves the barrel and the gasses rush out.
In fact you can keep wearing out a barrel and chopping an inch off the chamber and re crowning and keep shooting it till there is nothing left
The most wear I’ve seen in the middle of the barrel is the lands loose their sharp edge which may actually be a good thing.
I doubt Rimfire jackets will afffect anything

wywindsor
01-20-2021, 07:58 PM
The brass case of a 22lr is softer and has more zinc. Which is easier on the barrel.