PDA

View Full Version : What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?

Murphy
12-23-2020, 09:52 PM
This isn't my first time to experience a shortage of ammunition or reloading components. I've been through several shortages and learned my lesson.

What has the current lack of loaded ammunition and/or reloading components taught you?

Murphy

BigAlofPa.
12-23-2020, 09:55 PM
It taught me how foolish folks are paying gouger prices. I went to the gun club today. And shot 100 rounds. And was thinking boy im glad i stocked deep since the last shortage.

M-Tecs
12-23-2020, 10:06 PM
Been playing this game since the early 70's. This one is nothing new so can't say I've learned anything from this one. Save your pennies and purchase in volume when prices are low.

I've been poor to the point I mostly lived mostly on rice and for a weekly treat (if I could afford it) I would get one 16 oz. bottle of Coca Cola on Friday night. Still always manage to put a dollar or two a week away for primers and powder.

Currently I have a neighbor that wants me to sell him powder and primers at last years prices yet he claimed he couldn't afford to be part of any off the large volume group purchase that I offered him when prices were low with free shipping and no hazmat. He spends $10 a day on coffee and $60 to $100 dollars a week in the bar. His and my priorities are different.

GhostHawk
12-23-2020, 10:23 PM
When you can, when price and budget allows, stack deep, wide and high.

When you can't, don't shoot as much. Save your stash for if you need it.

Jal5
12-23-2020, 10:44 PM

That says it for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mal Paso
12-23-2020, 10:58 PM
"What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?"

Nothing that the last shortages didn't. I started loading during a shortage and never forgot.

lightman
12-23-2020, 11:03 PM
I've probably not learned anything from this shortage. But I learned from the first one that I experienced many years ago.

Dekota56
12-23-2020, 11:05 PM
Well I am stocked up, for how much I shoot.
With the shortage there has not been any change here

gbrown
12-23-2020, 11:46 PM
I learned long ago, waste not, want not. When the iron is hot, strike. The supply is there, buy. Old adages I heard from parents and grandparents. I been doing this for a long time. Got out of it for a period, got back in it. Couple of buddies and I made volume buys of primers and j-bullets. Still got a lot of them. Ran across some unbelievable deals on stuff from time to time. Sold excess here and other places. Kept a lot of old, good molds. Have plenty of stuff. Don't need to load anything, just need more range time. Going to give a friend, one of the buddies in the volume buys, above, 700 SR primers. Got a couple bricks left.

dtknowles
12-24-2020, 12:19 AM
Nothing ever changes. I would never use my last box of ammo or my last tray of primers for practice. Keep a reserve. I have a case of .223 and a case of 9mm that I hope to never use. I have 240 rounds of 7.62 x 39 that I have no gun for that I offered for sale at a reasonable price with no takers. I guess it will hang around for a while.

Tim

trails4u
12-24-2020, 12:26 AM
I've learned I'm better prepared than maybe I thought I was. I've felt no panic whatsoever. I did, finally, actually do a real inventory just to see if I had any real needs. Found a few soft spots and immediately set out to trade what I had in excess for what I felt I needed to feel secure. Most were minor quantities.....but a couple did surprise me how low I actually was. All good now.

kevin c
12-24-2020, 01:19 AM
Personally? Nothing I didn't learn from prior shortages. But reading here has shown me that some folks won't learn but from bitter first hand experience, despite advice from those who have gone through the pain already. And I had my opinions reinforced about human greed, panic and hoarding.

I do feel for the brand new reloaders who had no chance to learn and those truly strapped for cash who had no resources to spare on stocking up. These last folks I might help out. The ones who could have been ready but weren't? Well, bluntly put, will they learn without the sting if somebody bails them out?

Cargo
12-24-2020, 01:42 AM
I was fortunate enough to start reloading in March of this year. The wife WAS against it, but she's ok with it now lol. I picked up a few revolvers and a couple carbines that were chambered in straight walled cartridges and started shopping HARD. Everytime I had spare money I was ordering something. I'm still shorter on jacketed bullets than I'd like to be and 10k more primers would be great but I can go to the range without having a nervous breakdown over dropping a box of ammo that's difficult or impossible to replace.

I tried to talk a couple friends into reloading but one didn't have time and the other said he couldn't afford it...

FLINTNFIRE
12-24-2020, 02:20 AM
The current shortage has taught me how little has changed for me as I stock up when I can and when it is available , A year ago a lady in the local gun shop informed me in her high and mighty tone that her and her husband did not load 9mm as it was so cheap , I laughed and said it is cheaper for those of us who cast and load , and my bet is she and her husband are wishing they had bought more or reloaded it .

Saw 40 s&w plenty in stock early in the pandemic when 9mm was gone and now it is gone to , funny thing is I did not need any and did not buy any , I buy for what I load and for future shooting , same with other staples and consumable items , why go out if you do not need to .

Plan in advance , keep enough of what you need or use , would wish that this teaches everyone to plan and prepare .

wildwilly
12-24-2020, 02:34 AM
Ain't taught me nuthin. I reckoned a long time ago that there'll come a time ...perhaps soon....that, out of desperation, it will take more than a twenty-dollar gold piece to buy a brick of 22lr, a 1000 primers, or a # of powder.

reddog81
12-24-2020, 02:42 AM
I started shooting on a regular basis in 2012 and was caught flat footed by the 2013 to 2016 shortage. My goal was to build a 4 year supply of components and I accomplished that last year. The new shortage has convinced my to build up an 8 year supply.

Chad5005
12-24-2020, 02:45 AM
it hasn;t taught me much,people will procrastinate getting ready and way over pay for stuff,greedy people will gouge others bad in time of need.we now have 7-10 million new gun owners and that scares me,cause 1/2 atleast have never shot a gun before

tankgunner59
12-24-2020, 03:46 AM
The same thing the last one taught me, like everyone else posted above. Buy what you can/need when it is available and adjust usage when it isn't. My only problem this shortage was that I bought a new caliber right before it started, and just got what I needed before it hit. I had to get help for some small primers I need for some of that ammo, but I finally scored a brick, which will be more than enough. So now I'm trying to help a local guy who needs a very small amount to kind of PIF.

rkrcpa
12-24-2020, 07:21 AM
I learned that I wasn't crazy for buying 1000 primers every time I went to the gun store.

john.k
12-24-2020, 07:35 AM
I always buy primers in the 10k carton to save a few bucks on the 1000 rate.....About a year ago ,LP primers were apparently overstocked ,and reduced a further $50 over the normal 10 k price......so I bought another 10k,and was wondering if Id ever use them all...(you can use LP in LR cases in most lever/BP guns.)

MrWolf
12-24-2020, 07:45 AM
I learned a long time ago that LIFE does not care if I am ready or not. I happen to be well stocked for my needs. I know I have dies and such that I have not used yet but grabbed them when I thought they were a good deal. I just picked up a Ruger 57 yesterday. No ammo available but I did grab some once fired brass and dies. From what I have read it is a pain to load for with the proprietary coating on brass. Was I foolish for buying stuff when I did? My Father keeps telling me to sell as I could make a small fortune. Could, but then what do I use? Everyone is different with different tolerance levels. Anywho. Good luck folks. Merry Christmas!

Blanket
12-24-2020, 08:37 AM
it obviously has not taught some anything

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2020, 09:20 AM
What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?

It didn't teach me anything but it reaffirmed what I already knew.

MOA
12-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Nothing. I learned my lessons back in the early eighties. Not so much due to politics but due to powder manufacturing plant explosions. Started putting stuff aside a bit at a time. Always going to be something.

Brass&Lead
12-24-2020, 10:26 AM
What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?

There are even more people that I though who do not understand why you need to prepare for life.

The ones just getting on the firearm bandwagon are having a tough time. Good for them! Hopefully they learn from it – probably not.

As will all things in life buy it cheap and stack it deep!

Gewehr-Guy
12-24-2020, 10:31 AM
The next hurdle we may face with ammo shortages after new buyers and Covid related disruptions, is possible import restrictions,raw commodity price increases, and more shipping and storage regulations. I doubt we will ever see the 2018 bargain prices again.
Plan accordingly.

Froogal
12-24-2020, 11:54 AM
It has taught me that when you live a good 100 miles away from any large city, there will never be any ammo or reloading components available to me.

remy3424
12-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Personally? Nothing I didn't learn from prior shortages. But reading here has shown me that some folks won't learn but from bitter first hand experience, despite advice from those who have gone through the pain already. And I had my opinions reinforced about human greed, panic and hoarding.

I do feel for the brand new reloaders who had no chance to learn and those truly strapped for cash who had no resources to spare on stocking up. These last folks I might help out. The ones who could have been ready but weren't? Well, bluntly put, will they learn without the sting if somebody bails them out?

Again, not the time for new reloaders to try to get into this. They will have to wait this one out. And those who are cash-strapped, maybe shooting isn't something they need to do in this environment. This is a hobby, what you spend your discretionary money on, hobbies are not for folks who are "cash-strapped"....my non-essential activities cease when I don't have money for it. Go to the library and check out a book or the interenet, lots to learn there. There are always choices we need to make, everyone's situation is different....and so the choices should be different also.

If you like to shoot and have the funds to do it (and are on this fourm), this "shortage" is of little consequence to you.

WebMonkey
12-24-2020, 01:09 PM
it has taught me:

if i have enough 'stuff' already, i'm a dirty rotten hoarder.
if i buy anything during a shortage, for any reason whatsoever, i'm a dirty rotten sheeple.
if i sell anything for a price other than what the buyer wants me to sell it for, i'm a dirty rotten price gouger.
if i decide, rather than the government/social justice, where to send my charitable gifts, i'm a dirty rotten hater.

it's like i don't live in a free country or something.

i'd like a refund on my life altering service in the army please.
that whole 'defend the constitution' thing didn't work out.
:)

dverna
12-24-2020, 01:51 PM
it has taught me:

if i buy anything during a shortage, for any reason whatsoever, i'm a dirty rotten sheeple.
if i sell anything for a price other than what the buyer wants me to sell it for, i'm a dirty rotten price gouger.
if i decide, rather than the government/social justice, where to send my charitable gifts, i'm a dirty rotten hater.

If it wasn't true...it would be funny. But you are not far off the mark.

On a slightly different vein..
I saw a car food line on TV. People "struggling to feed their families". Noticed all the cars were in really good shape...then I saw an Audi...then Mercedes SUV...WTH!!!

Then the little devil that sits on my left shoulder asked me, "Do you think they wasted all their money buying ammunition from the greedy hoarders" The voice of reason on my right shoulder answered back, "No, they are too smart to do that, they pissed it away on TP...ever heard of a TP drive?"

Ed K
12-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Once again reminded me of the economy of handloading (aside from load customization, etc.). Looking around at the panic and the price being paid by the public per squeeze of the trigger, I quickly hammered out a mental picture of what we as handloaders pay. Really the brass and the boolit are the most expensive components which we recover/recycle/scrounge, etc. The primer and powder are comparatively cheap (with admittedly a decent range on powder whether the round is a 38 wadcutter or 300 Win mag hunting load). So even though there is no inventory problem, I'm at the LGS chatting it up with the owner and instead of walking out without buying anything and since they were in stock I placed a box of primers on the counter @ $50. Outrageous some here may say! Well, the average price of my primer inventory is about $20-25/thousand. So I just willingly bumped my price by 2-3 cents per magnum pistol round? Yes and remember: the public was paying at least $1/shot before the pandemic! Now it's anybody's guess if they can even find it!

dtknowles
12-24-2020, 04:10 PM
it has taught me:

I think, you might think this over again. If people are free to criticize you or agree with you then you have successfully defended the constitution. What is the phrase so often used? "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it. -- Voltaire (1694-1778)"

Tim

ShooterAZ
12-24-2020, 04:12 PM
It just showed me that history repeats itself. Over and over again with the components, at each and every election cycle it seems. If you are complacent in these tumultuous times, you will most certainly get caught short on your supplies. I'm not suggesting that people horde beforehand, but just put away what you think you might need for the rest of your lives! Sadly, it's not going to be getting any better any time soon. This one's gonna be a real doosie I'm afraid.

bob208
12-24-2020, 04:15 PM
has not taught me any thing . l long ago I belonged to a organization that who believed in be prepared .

dtknowles
12-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Once again reminded me of the economy of handloading (aside from load customization, etc.). Looking around at the panic and the price being paid by the public per squeeze of the trigger, I quickly hammered out a mental picture of what we as handloaders pay. Really the brass and the boolit are the most expensive components which we recover/recycle/scrounge, etc. The primer and powder are comparatively cheap (with admittedly a decent range on powder whether the round is a 38 wadcutter or 300 Win mag hunting load). So even though there is no inventory problem, I'm at the LGS chatting it up with the owner and instead of walking out without buying anything and since they were in stock I placed a box of primers on the counter @ $50. Outrageous some here may say! Well, the average price of my primer inventory is about $20-25/thousand. So I just willingly bumped my price by 2-3 cents per magnum pistol round? Yes and remember: the public was paying at least $1/shot before the pandemic! Now it's anybody's guess if they can even find it!

I think you are not evaluating cost of a powder charge and brass right. A 300 win mag uses a 70 gr. powder charge of powders not often found in multi pound jugs. That powder charge used to cost about 25 cents. Brass for 300 win mag even if you paid a dollar a piece and only got 4 uses from each piece of brass would cost 25 cents. For some loads/cartridges bullets are most expensive but powder is the next greatest expense, brass and primers much less so. Casting bullets flips this on its head but I doubt that 300 win mag. gets a lot of cast bullets.

Tim

Evoken
12-24-2020, 05:17 PM
This shortage has taught me that it was both a crummy and great time to start casting my own boolits. I've been kicking it around for awhile now and started collecting things just about prepandemic. Started casting in august and found things I needed to be in short supply.
It has also taught me that I am clearly smarter than the average bear (not by much though, haha). When I added a caliber I immediately added dies and some components. Never loaded much 9mm due to it's cheap availability. I ran some just to know I can. Now guess what, I have 9mm shells when most people can't find it, so there. They all laughed at me, why have the tools to load 9mm it's everywhere they said. Who's laughing now suckers! Although I don't shoot much 9mm....

Ken

daengmei
12-24-2020, 06:09 PM
when you live a good 100 miles away from any large city, there will never be any ammo or reloading components available to me

22lr is the only round I have purchased locally and I live just south of Knob Creek Ky. You seem to know the keyboard so why didn't you order what you needed when it was available? Duh.

But you have a lifetime supply....I don't understand.

Jniedbalski
12-24-2020, 06:25 PM
I wasent worried at all at first. I have plenty of primers led,molds, powder . Then I went looking for my primers. Only found around 150 sp and 100 sr.I was really worded. Then I thought well maybe I didint have as many as I thought because I just loaded around 3000 sp rounds and 700 lp 45 and 500 223. Well then I found my stash. Forgot where I put them. Got enuf of all the primers sp sr lp Lr .

Jniedbalski
12-24-2020, 06:28 PM
I wasent worried at all at first. I have plenty of primers led,molds, powder . Then I went looking for my primers. Only found around 150 sp and 100 sr.I was really worded. Then I thought well maybe I didint have as many as I thought by because I just loaded around 3000 sp rounds and 700 lp 45 and 500 223. Well then I found my stash. Forgot where I put them. Got enuf of all the primers sp sr lp Lr . Now every body I know that loads is asking to buy some off me

cas
12-24-2020, 06:41 PM
That people are stupid and never learn and the "we" are our worst enemy.

Every one of the countless "this local walmart had shotgun shells", "Mid south has primers", "Midway has 9mm" posts that hits the internet does nothing but make the panic worse, but people won't stop making them.

Bazoo
12-24-2020, 06:57 PM
I learned something I already knew, but to a degree I didn't realize. That is that the government, governors republicans and democrats have enormous power over our lives. They lock you down and everyone obeys. I didn't realize just how much power they have. I don't feel free anymore.

Ed K
12-24-2020, 07:34 PM
I think you are not evaluating cost of a powder charge and brass right. A 300 win mag uses a 70 gr. powder charge of powders not often found in multi pound jugs. That powder charge used to cost about 25 cents. Brass for 300 win mag even if you paid a dollar a piece and only got 4 uses from each piece of brass would cost 25 cents. For some loads/cartridges bullets are most expensive but powder is the next greatest expense, brass and primers much less so. Casting bullets flips this on its head but I doubt that 300 win mag. gets a lot of cast bullets.

Tim

Tim, please consider you may have read my post too quickly while I'll consider I could have used a better wording.

Brass: Big expense but amortized over many firings in the low-medium pressure rounds common among cast boolit shooters
Powder: #grains/round more commonly 5,10,20 or maybe 40 in the low-medium pressure rounds common among cast boolit shooters
Primer: 5 cents/round in the year 2020 inflated scenario originally posted
Lead for Boolits: How effectively can you scrounge?

So I fire a lot of big-bore revolver rounds at mid-range+ pressure. Brass lasts at least 10 rounds. with Starline 44mag brass @ $200/1000 that is 2 cents/round. Twenty grains of powder @ $25/lb is 7 cents. Add 5 cents for that primer and we are at 14 cents before scrounging lead. MidwayUSA sells 44mag ammo in a range from just under a dollar/round up to $2.50!

The point was the 5 cent primer has no ill-effect on the handloader's advantage. True, economics don't show the same advantage when considering belted mags launching j-words and my mention of it was an attempt to point out not everything shakes out numerically the same as loading 38 wadcutters. Still, with a range of $1.20 (PRVI) to $3.80 per round at MidwayUSA for 300 Win Mag there is still a big savings in handloading for it and the inflated primer pricing has little effect.

chambers
12-24-2020, 08:28 PM
Been through multiple shortages, use an example of stock market: buy when things are cheap, sell when they are high( if you have excess). Being prepared for life's adventures is nothing wrong with, some people may call you a hoarder but better to be prepared than left out in the cold. It allows you to do what you want when you want.

Gator 45/70
12-24-2020, 09:05 PM
Nothing ever changes. I would never use my last box of ammo or my last tray of primers for practice. Keep a reserve. I have a case of .223 and a case of 9mm that I hope to never use. I have 240 rounds of 7.62 x 39 that I have no gun for that I offered for sale at a reasonable price with no takers. I guess it will hang around for a while.

Tim

You on bayoushooters?

Gator 45/70
12-24-2020, 09:22 PM
Kinda sad really,All these newb's coming into gun stores and buying just about anything and pretty much everything with no experience with a firearm...very little ammo and probably won't fire the thing,People are scared out there.
If you see a newb out there fumbling around with a new to them piece...Help them out a bit,Just for safety's sake.

dtknowles
12-24-2020, 11:34 PM
You on bayoushooters?

I have not been there for a decade. I kind of got mad at them when they got us kicked out of the buffer zone. I used to have that place mostly to myself for years. They spread the word and an unsavory sort abused it so it got posted/closed. I just checked my user ID and password still work.

Tim

Texas by God
12-25-2020, 12:22 AM
I’ve wasted ammo in the past, now I try not to. Today my youngest daughter shot about 40 mixed rounds of CB Shorts, Long rifle, Stinger, and one (1) Win. Rat shot from her new Ruger Wrangler and 4 rounds of .243 from her Stevens 200 and was ecstatic. So was I. She hasn’t fired a gun in a while but did great. My Remington 510 is getting used more than my Nylon 66 these days and the Red Ryder got reloaded. The only ammo I buy instead of reload is shotgun shells, 9mm, and of course .22 rim fire. Now I reload 9mm and shepherd .22s and shotgun shells so I won’t run out too soon. That’s how it has affected me.

john.k
12-25-2020, 08:08 AM
Bazoo,governments have much greater power than to keep you indoors for a few weeks........in years past ,people were exiled /locked up for life because they had TB or leprosy ,under the powers of governments to protect the health of the community...I recall a friend of mine from army days in the 1960s had an absent father ,in a TB sanitorium.......which had high walls and gate houses to stop inpatients getting out ,or outsiders getting in.

10-x
12-25-2020, 12:28 PM
Guess Im to old, been through much, all kinds of “ shortages”. Human nature is on full display coupled with the lack of knowledge of history. Sadly more and more folks will pay the consequences.

WebMonkey
12-25-2020, 01:00 PM
I think, you might think this over again. If people are free to criticize you or agree with you then you have successfully defended the constitution. What is the phrase so often used? "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it. -- Voltaire (1694-1778)"

Tim

what i referenced is not simply disagreeing with me.
it is pronouncing a politically/socially correct position and measuring me against it.
then proclaiming me a bad person.
then using the government or any other platform to 'force' me to comply.

no reciprocity of the quote you posted.
:(
(success or failure of the 1A doesn't cover the free trade arguments either)

so unfortunately, i'll have to disagree with you :).

Murphy
12-25-2020, 05:28 PM
I'm glad I started this thread. Shortages seem to bring out the best, and worse in people. Hopefully, others can learn from it by building up supplies once this one has passed. Having seen a few shortages, it has taken time but I have no concerns in regards to my needs for ammunition or reloading components, which isn't much.

As already stated by others in previous posts, some are just starting into reloading and casting and it's a rough go for them. They have my empathy as I have been there before. And then there are the others. They've seen this before, but failed themselves by not stocking up when things were at normal. Some will learn after this shortage, and as stated by some, others never will.

Murphy

frkelly74
12-25-2020, 06:21 PM
I think most of us saw it coming months ago. I learned last time to watch for the signs of changes in the political winds. My worry is that maybe I was too optimistic any way. I do believe it is going to get bad, It is not that bad yet.

Bazoo
12-25-2020, 06:22 PM
I learned I ain't got enough, though I've stocked maybe 3-4 years worth. Lack of money, not desire or knowledge being the reason I've not got more.

I've learned that it's better to have primer and no powder than the other way around. I've learned it's better to have plenty of primers and 22s for 8 guns than a limited supply for a dozen guns.

I've learned some of the people here have enough powder and primers to help those that for whatever reason are lacking, and that those folks will gladly sell but only at top dollar. I guess the lesson is there are very few that aren't ruled by the dollar.

I've learned that if you refuse to quarantine they will put an ankle bracelet on you and post a cop outside your house. Seen it on the local news.

Bazoo
12-25-2020, 06:24 PM
I don't think it'll get bad. I don't think it'll be a civil war or whatever. I think they'll post Biden in the big chair and eventually primers will trickle back through, just like the Obama years. Hope I'm right (not about Biden, but it not being bad).

El Greco
12-25-2020, 06:44 PM

Amen brother. It only happened to me once with Obama. Never again. Primers:Great. Powder: Great. Lead: great again. Ammo: fantastic. I’m not being ignorant, but when you get caught with your pants down, you learn. I was caught with less than 1000 primers and a couple of lbs of powder.

Dusty Bannister
12-25-2020, 07:56 PM
I think one of the lessons some might be overlooking is the value of bartering. That can negate the inflated prices yet still get what you need. Shopping smart during the times between the shortages is certainly a good idea, and reducing consumption during shortages is pretty much just common sense. Well, at least for some.

john.k
12-25-2020, 09:04 PM
Shortages are not caused by the shooters who always have 10k primers in store.....and do not need to rush any rumour of a few boxes...........No,shortages are caused by those who need 100 primers right now,and see 10k on a shelf and buy the lot knowing that many others will miss out due to their actions.

dtknowles
12-26-2020, 12:56 AM
what i referenced is not simply disagreeing with me.
it is pronouncing a politically/socially correct position and measuring me against it.
then proclaiming me a bad person.
then using the government or any other platform to 'force' me to comply.

no reciprocity of the quote you posted.
:(
(success or failure of the 1A doesn't cover the free trade arguments either)

so unfortunately, i'll have to disagree with you :).

Disagree all you want. I agree that it is possible that some would be more likely fight to shut some people up than fight to maintain free speech. They probably did not take an oath to defend the Constitution. They probably want to change the Constitution, maybe repeal the first and second amendments.

I missed the part in your post where anyone or the government actually stopped you, forced you, to do anything. It seems it was all about talk. Oh, there is no free country. Countries restrict freedom, it is just a thing they do, we got a bill of rights because someone way back then knew that the country would take peoples rights away. It is what countries do. It is the Tyranny of the Majority in a democracy and it is just plain Tyranny in a Dictatorship. It is not so fun when you are on the wrong side of a Tyranny.

Tim

dtknowles
12-26-2020, 01:06 AM
I learned I ain't got enough, though I've stocked maybe 3-4 years worth. Lack of money, not desire or knowledge being the reason I've not got more.

I've learned that it's better to have primer and no powder than the other way around. I've learned it's better to have plenty of primers and 22s for 8 guns than a limited supply for a dozen guns.

I've learned some of the people here have enough powder and primers to help those that for whatever reason are lacking, and that those folks will gladly sell but only at top dollar. I guess the lesson is there are very few that aren't ruled by the dollar.

I've learned that if you refuse to quarantine they will put an ankle bracelet on you and post a cop outside your house. Seen it on the local news.

Quarantine orders are no joke. Break quarantine and an ankle bracelet could be the least of your worries. $1000 fine is pretty typical and if you are a risk of repeating, jail might be in the cards. It is not just for CO VID.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tuberculosis-isolation-world-tb-day_n_56eefba2e4b09bf44a9d9749

dtknowles
12-26-2020, 01:15 AM
I learned I ain't got enough, ......
I've learned some of the people here have enough powder and primers to help those that for whatever reason are lacking, and that those folks will gladly sell but only at top dollar. I guess the lesson is there are very few that aren't ruled by the dollar...

I think you owe some members here an apology. Some members here have given away ammo and primers, not for top dollar but for free. I offered to sell some ammo for less than the lowest advertised price I could find. I see a lot of things on Swap and Sell for top dollar all the time other times I see people willing to give stuff away for the cost of postage.

Tim

dtknowles
12-26-2020, 01:19 AM
Amen brother. It only happened to me once with Obama. Never again. Primers:Great. Powder: Great. Lead: great again. Ammo: fantastic. I’m not being ignorant, but when you get caught with your pants down, you learn. I was caught with less than 1000 primers and a couple of lbs of powder.

I could have gotten thru the Obama thing with 1000 primers, it did not last that long but then 1000 primers lasts me quite a while. The Obama thing wasn't really an Obama thing wasn't it because of an exposition.

Tim

Bazoo
12-26-2020, 01:45 AM
I think you owe some members here an apology. Some members here have given away ammo and primers, not for top dollar but for free. I offered to sell some ammo for less than the lowest advertised price I could find. I see a lot of things on Swap and Sell for top dollar all the time other times I see people willing to give stuff away for the cost of postage.

Tim

I gave it some reflection and I agree. I apologize for my remarks to all.

I also have realized there is, and been the recipient of, great generosity here.

Idaho45guy
12-26-2020, 01:45 AM
I learned that I consider most of my shooting and gun collecting to be a frivolous hobby that is now too expensive to afford.

I will always have my self-defense and "weapons of war" firearms, and plenty of ammo to service them, as those are essential. But going to the range and blasting away 100 rounds of now extremely expensive and hard to find ammo just for the fun of it seems a bit irresponsible to me, now.

David2011
12-26-2020, 02:15 AM
It has taught me that when you live a good 100 miles away from any large city, there will never be any ammo or reloading components available to me.

I’ve lived much farther than that from a large city and it never prevented me from buying components. The key was to keep up with the online retailers and buy what I wanted when they had it. I also bought enough to offset the shipping and hazmat charges. The last time I bought at an excessively high price was some primers iii 2009-10.

Again, not the time for new reloaders to try to get into this. They will have to wait this one out. And those who are cash-strapped, maybe shooting isn't something they need to do in this environment. This is a hobby, what you spend your discretionary money on, hobbies are not for folks who are "cash-strapped"....my non-essential activities cease when I don't have money for it. Go to the library and check out a book or the interenet, lots to learn there. There are always choices we need to make, everyone's situation is different....and so the choices should be different also.

If you like to shoot and have the funds to do it (and are on this fourm), this "shortage" is of little consequence to you.

This assumes that all reloading is purely for hobby purposes. Some cast and load to put food on the table and their posts have indicated that finances are tight. Some load for defensive purposes. It’s not all about hobbies.

I have a few close friends to whom I would sell at what I paid for components or even give to them. Generally, I sell things that I didn’t really want to sell for replacement cost. It’s the only way to protect the investment. I certainly wouldn’t sell to someone I don’t know well at below market just to be a good guy unless they were learning to load under my supervision.

M-Tecs
12-26-2020, 03:18 AM

During normal times most of the online suppliers offer free shipping and no hazmat a couple of times a year. For smaller orders I wait for the free shipping and/or no hazmat. If I can't wait I combine orders with friends to minimize the shipping and or hazmat. I do shoot and reload more than most so if I have an order of at least 32 pounds of powder and 10K of primers I will order that myself since the shipping and hazmat cost becomes minimal per pound.

For steel shot loads I order from Rogers Sports. In the spring they have a lot of free shipping and great prices. https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/Ammunition

I also shoot a lot of 17 HMR. Midsouth generally has the best sale prices https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

The only time I purchase local is when the cost is close to being competitive.

snowwolfe
12-27-2020, 08:31 PM
It’s taught me to re-evaluate what I use and need. Since moving out of Alaska I don’t use any of the “magnum” rifles and associated slow burning powders and LR mag primes. I have way to much IMR 4831, H4831, RL 22 and RL25. Am down to about 2,500 LR primers.
Still have a good supply of medium burning powders but will add another 25-30 pounds when conditions permit.

alamogunr
12-27-2020, 10:08 PM
I confess that I'm a hoarder. Although my compulsion extends beyond ammunition and components, those are the things I take most comfort from. In addition to over 2 tons of lead in various alloys(mostly COWW & SOWW) I've got enough powder, primers, brass in most cartridges that I shoot to use that lead. Although I didn't run out of .22 rimfire, I started buying when supplies again became available. I'll never live long enough to shoot all the .22's.

Right now I'm concentrating on supplying my sons and grandsons with practice ammo. May take me awhile but plan to supply each with a 50 cal ammo can of handgun ammo for the guns they currently own(I'm slow). I own many guns they will own someday so they don't need ammo for those right now. At my age, I'm not sure when they will acquire those guns but it won't be before the next panic, I hope.

Dave18
12-27-2020, 10:30 PM
Was the surprising numbers of shooters and reloaders that never seem to learn from the past, then expect people to sell them stuff dirt cheap even in the middle of a shortage,, 🙄

Harter66
12-27-2020, 11:03 PM
Shortages ....... Learning .

It refreshed my memory , my family is like that .

I don't anywhere near enough jacketed bullets .......not really a big deal but I'm not all warm and fuzzy about it .

I have to buy some more primers I have , with recent inheritance of tools and supplies , about 5# more powder than primers .

Brass isn't as common as it used to be but there are folks out there that don't think in terms of X amount loaded + Y amount for periodic shooting + Z stocks to reload = 75% of A inventory on hand .

Refresher #2 .
The middle of a train wreck is not the time to add a new cartridge especially if you can't make the brass out of something you have a 25% over A + 25% inventory .

Tools are good to have for stuff you don't have because you just never know when you're going to add a cartridge ......... Or make brass .

Refresher #3
There's no such thing as an excess of 06' family brass if you own anything with a .471-.475 head and rim .

If you think you have enough you should probably have at least one more of each .

During the 09' mess I parted with several pounds of powder that I bought because the shop was locking the doors . I could have tripled maybe quaded my money but I instead sold it for the marked price which was probably 135% of what I had actually paid but probably under market value by 10% .

I went to 5+ toy stores in the area in the last few weeks . 12ga is available if you're not fussy about shot sizes .
RF nope . Any common cartridges , nope . Components ...let's say the dust had back filled the the boxes voids to a point that it's questionable as to whether or not there was stuff on the shelf .

I'm not really a hoarder but I have enough groceries to hold me for 2 months , 4-5 if I suppliment with yard/local flora and fauna and not lose any weight .
At this point range days are more dependant on time , the desire to go , and gas money than inventory A and I don't see that changing in the near future .
I don't think any of it is enough and I don't know how I could make it mobile so it's looking more like a tick digging in every day . More because I'm reaching the age of come and get it , if you make it past the bear trap you can have it , but it's going to hurt a lot .

dverna
12-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Was the surprising numbers of shooters and reloaders that never seem to learn from the past, then expect people to sell them stuff dirt cheap even in the middle of a shortage,, ��

Yep

So little shooting is necessary, and so they are whining about not being able to have fun. The older complainers are the worst and most pathetic because they should know better. I have and will help those who deserve help....but that is based on my judgement.

If someone has a half a dozen or more guns and no primers or powder, they have made poor choices...and not for just a few months.

A person “needs” a .22 rifle, CCW pistol, 12 ga and CF rifle....and four year supply of ammunition and/or components for each. Anything else is a want

BTW, today I sold 40k primers. Every buyer was happy to pay $90-100/1000. The minimum order was $1000 so I did not have to deal with people who think $60/1000 is outrageous or want a couple of hundred. 2 of the 3 buyers want more if I decide to sell more.

What I found refreshing was that each person was above average. All were competitive shooters who knew their stuff and one was buying for a commercial reloader. Not one person complained about the price and two asked me if they could purchase more.

If I had posted those prices on this site, I would have been ostracized by a handful of the resident whiners. I saw that happen a few weeks ago to two guys here...lesson learned.

Stop complaining about cost. Stop or reduce your shooting for now. Prices are high due to the market. Wait it out, or get out of the sport if you are unable or unwilling to plan for shortages. Those who planned are under no obligation to fund your fun at the range. If you get pissed off with reality, vote for Democrats so no one else can shoot either.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-28-2020, 12:34 AM
This current ammo shortage has taught me nothing.

Side note: has anyone seen the current fleabay auctions on Lee's Turret Presses?

trails4u
12-28-2020, 01:11 AM
I gave it some reflection and I agree. I apologize for my remarks to all.

I also have realized there is, and been the recipient of, great generosity here.

Bazoo…. I don't think you owe anyone any apologies, and don't get baited into it. Yeah...some here have sold for a profit(including me), some have given freely(including me), some have been recipients of amazing gifts(including me) and some have traded fair and square(including me), etc, etc.. You didn't say EVERY person here was in it for profit....you said some, which will hold true for any assembly of people, anywhere, anytime. Don't apologize for being human..... WE do all share that here.

Bazoo
12-28-2020, 02:55 AM
Bazoo…. I don't think you owe anyone any apologies, and don't get baited into it. Yeah...some here have sold for a profit(including me), some have given freely(including me), some have been recipients of amazing gifts(including me) and some have traded fair and square(including me), etc, etc.. You didn't say EVERY person here was in it for profit....you said some, which will hold true for any assembly of people, anywhere, anytime. Don't apologize for being human..... WE do all share that here.

Thanks. I felt ill about my comments. At the least I should have kept my opinions to myself. I've sold for profit. I bought a couple gym mirrors once, for 15 dollars. I resold them for 170. Course we wernt in the middle of a mirror shortage.

Guess I feel that we reloaders should stick together and help one another.

Money isn't my motivator in life though.

M-Tecs
12-28-2020, 03:11 AM
I use the same policy that I have always used in panic buying times when I am asked to sell some of the supply I have built up. If I sell it will be at the current replacement cost OR it will be a loan to be replaced at an agreed time. The exception in small quantities to true friends. If they need a box of ammo to go hunting or for self defense I just give it to them.

If I loan components when the agreed upon replacement time comes I don't care if the borrower pays $10 per thousand thousand primers/$10 pound for powder or a $1,000. Someone's lack of planning/willingness to sacrifice doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.

I drive a 15 year old truck for a reason. I don't go out to the bars like most of my friends for a reason. I don't purchase reloading components for resale and for me too afford them I sacrificed not having something else.

Through the various panics I have been asked to sell components at least 50 times. I have loaned a couple of 8 lbs of powder for a year that were replaced a year later, I have given away some for friends in need and I have made some trades but in all the times asked no one has wanted to pay the current replacement cost.

Some have not been happy with me but they are the same ones driving a new vehicle every year, have all the fun toys and are always dropping lots of money the bars and restaurants. They have different priorities than I do.

jessdigs
12-28-2020, 03:45 AM
I learned that 25k primers is not enough. I’m going to up my game to a few hundred K. I’m set on brass, lead, powder, projectiles, and such, but I will buy more powder and more primers for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ebb
12-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Some people are never going to learn.

JoeJames
12-28-2020, 01:00 PM
I am right proud I saw the handwriting on the wall back last Spring and started getting back into casting, not that I had ever done near as much as I do now. I figured that reloading components would be the first casualty. I was in pretty fair shape on everything except for the pistol bullets I shoot more of than anything else" 32's, 38's, and 44's. Just cast a goodly amount (by my standards) of 44's yesterday.

sparky45
12-28-2020, 06:50 PM
Stockpile THEN sell high.

WheelgunConvert
12-29-2020, 01:28 AM
Every shot matters.

Even if you aim for perfection, you might have to settle for great.

KCSO
12-29-2020, 04:31 PM
What ammo shortage? I have a whole closet full ! Did I miss it again!

In 1975 I started putting away 22's when they came on sale. Last shortage I was shooting ammo marked 7.50 a carton and now I am down to 12.99 a carton. My centerfire ammo is all cast except for duty ammo and that is supplied. But I keep a years worth of food on hand too. Remnants of Grandparents who lived through the 30's.

sparky45
12-30-2020, 02:09 PM
What ammo shortage? I have a whole closet full ! Did I miss it again!

In 1975 I started putting away 22's when they came on sale. Last shortage I was shooting ammo marked 7.50 a carton and now I am down to 12.99 a carton. My centerfire ammo is all cast except for duty ammo and that is supplied. But I keep a years worth of food on hand too. Remnants of Grandparents who lived through the 30's.

Absolutely the right thing to do.

FISH4BUGS
12-30-2020, 02:22 PM
What shortage?
I learned from the last one.
Invest your money in more components than you need and stock up.
What shortage?

Monobill
12-30-2020, 02:32 PM
I'm still have .22's my father purchased in 1960's. They were from a going out of business sale, he bought a couple cases. I still have a few bricks left. I recall at the time my Mon protesting on why he was buying so many. I have never been out!

wv109323
12-30-2020, 05:26 PM
Up my stock of primers, and lead when prices are normal.

Jim22
01-01-2021, 01:44 PM
Doing pretty well with factory ammunition. Been reloading for sixty years. Just recently got back into bullet casting. Components are hard to find but not if you make your own.

TonyR
01-03-2021, 02:17 PM
This is the first shortage I’ve experienced other that the .22 shortage a few years back but I wasn’t really effected because I never shot .22.

I’ve always made it a point to snag ammo when I can so coming into this shortage I have a couple thousand rounds of the calibers I shoot. The issue I’ve predicted is, the supply is going to run low soon as I shoot quite a bit and don’t just stockpile my ammo.

I made the move to get into casting and reloading in early December which was probably late in the game but now I have just about everything I need to start casting bullets. Hopefully this will keep me stocked up going through the shortage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higgins
01-05-2021, 07:00 PM
I didn't learn a lesson because of a shortage, I learned it because I'm cheap. Years ago I got into military rifles, and of course ended up with an 8mm Mauser, No.4 Lee Enfield, and a Finnish Mosin Nagant. I finally tried foreign military ammo because at the time it was so cheap and plentiful. Of course it is almost always corrosive primed in those calibers but I learned how to clean after using it and I have never had any damage to a rifle that I can see, although a borescope might reveal otherwise. Whatever the case, my rifles have remained accurate after many hundreds of rounds of foreign milsurp ammo.

I gained a new respect for foreign ammo years ago. After scrounging for whatever ammo they can find, I suspect that a lot of shooters will find that brands of imported pistol and rifle ammo they never considered using are good ammo if you stick to known brands with complele labeling.

I am seeing individuals selling foreign military ammo that is know to long-time milsurp shooters to be corrosive as either "noncorrosive" or "recent manufacture". I am shooting 8x57mm Yugoslavian military ammo loaded by PPU in 1978 that is very accurate, quality ammo but it is loaded with a corrosive berdan primer. Be careful what you buy. Driven by high prices, I believe people are going to start selling and buying ammo they know very little about.

Blanket
01-05-2021, 07:41 PM
never affected by the shortages but my 50 year old Saeco bottom pour took a crap this morning. Went to look for something more modern and seems casting equipment is in short supply

MT Gianni
01-05-2021, 07:45 PM
It has taught me that the story of the ant and the grasshopper was true.

john.k
01-06-2021, 03:02 AM
Ammo shortage doesnt affect me,.....but down the supermarket yesterday ,whole frozen vegetable section is cleaned out......I thought maybe fridge failure,nope says assistant,we've been cleaned out of frozen vegs....Just happened for no apparent reason.....there is no virus here ,no state lockdowns ,no local lockdowns....so why is all the veg gone?

nueces5
01-06-2021, 07:04 AM
I was talking to a friend in the Range yesterday. He has a partner who lives in the US, with whom he talks weekly.
We did not understand the causes of shortages in a country with a large production like yours. Here we are used to that, and I have 22 ammunition for two or three years. Primers for one year, and also powder.
Has anyone been able to buy primers from large pages like brownells or midway? or those companies have not sold for months?

CoolHandMoss
01-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Has anyone been able to buy primers from large pages like brownells or midway? or those companies have not sold for months?

I have been checking regularly and have not seen a one.

trapper9260
01-06-2021, 08:29 AM
This whole thing did not teach me a thing. You get what you need and stock up when price is down and keep cast your own and use what you load wisely and let the rest go by. I bought some 22lr after Trump got in office when the price came down because I do not reload them now I am set on every thing also what I need to reload all primers if need to. I warn some on it all they did not want to hear it and now they ask me about if I could teach them. Some also ask me about casting too. I will only to some not all depends on who it is .

gwpercle
01-06-2021, 09:01 AM
It has taught me the value of casting and reloading for every firearm I own and the need to stay well stocked in powder and primers . The shortages run in cycles ... tied to political happenings .
Every 4 to 8 years look for and expect shortages ...
Now that you know there will be more shortages and you will have a few years before the next one .... Be Prepared !

I'm 70 years old and probably have a lifetime supply of powder and primers stashed away...but will I buy more when they become available and go on sale again ...Heck Yeah.... You can never be Too Prepared !
Gary

SeabeeMan
01-06-2021, 09:30 AM
I learned from the last 2 shortages (I'm 37, the 08 election was the first one of my adult life) and am doing well. I'll continue to built stocks with an eye to the future.

My biggest lesson from this one is that I should have more common things on hand even if I don't shoot that caliber. For example, I'll be grabbing 40 S&W stuff just to have on hand to help friends and family out.

I also realized that many who espouse their love of the free market and capitalism lose their mind when it come to something they need going up in price due to reduced supply.

mdi
01-06-2021, 12:53 PM
A couple "shortages/panics" ago I learned to keep a prudent reserve...

SeabeeMan
01-06-2021, 03:08 PM
A couple "shortages/panics" ago I learned to keep a prudent reserve...

Wow, you're right! Might be time to see what I have for extra Lee molds laying around.

barnabus
01-07-2021, 06:40 AM
that i hate all democrats

Butler Ford
01-07-2021, 08:28 AM
Nothing

MOA
01-07-2021, 08:50 AM
That no matter how much you have, going forward from today it might never be enough.

Ickisrulz
01-07-2021, 09:14 AM
I'll tell you what past shortages have taught me. Things will get better and eventually go back to normal. That's when I do my buying.

Woodbridge 30-30
01-07-2021, 09:44 AM
To not buy a gun in a new to me caliber

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

fcvan
01-07-2021, 10:46 AM
I grew up reloading with my Dad, back in the mid 1970s. As a young adult, I bought my first pistol. a S&W 459. I bought 1 box of factory to qualify with, and 500 pieces of once fired. I bought dies and a mold, but borrowed Dad's press for a few months. Over time, I bought my own gear. I was young, new daddy, things were tight. My wife (at the time) was not a fan of my reloading, or my career in Law Enforcement. There is a reason she became an ex-wife, but she learned that my hobby fed itself without diving into our monthly budget. I cast for friends who paid me in primers and powder. That was the mid 1980s.

I can remember when raising kids made reloading second fiddle, so much so that I needed to crank a box or 38 SP just to qualify with my off-duty weapon, the 45 ACP was not allowed at the time. Iv'e had a gun on since 1985. Things changed to where I could carry the 1911.

My Wife, the one for life, bought me a Glock 22C, and I didn't have dies or molds. Between my brother and I, we qualified quarterly with our Glocks for quite a while before casting an loading. We had more money than time and had run through 2000 rounds of factory without knowing it. Then 2008-2009 we decided to start loading 40 S&W. His Son-in-law bought SP primers as $50/1K, not us. We waited until $30/K was more normal, but even then sparingly. Things cooled down to where powder and primers were normal at $22.50 was the norm.

Flash forward, I loaded every empty case, bought primers by 5K lots, and powder in 8lb jugs. Lead supply has always been steady. Once fired brass was mostly free from idiots at work who fired for off duty and left their brass on the ground. I won't say how much is stacked up, loaded or components, just that 3 households are set for life and more.

I haven't cast or cranked a lever in 5 years, no need, I have only 2 coffee cans of empties created over 3 years, just qualifying and training since retirement. I used to fill a coffee can every week just for grins and giggles. My Nephew is a shooter and hopefully he will get my brother off the couch more often so we can do more shooting. Nephew has a 9mm, but looks like he wants a Glock 40, and a 9mm drop in barrel w/mags to shoot both. I kind of went silly with buying barrels and mags for the Brother's Glocks, Wife's Glocks, and mine, back when I worked more overtime than should be reasonable. Crime does pay, mostly for crime fighters.

Did I learn anything from the latest or previous 'panic periods?' No, I learned from being the kid of dust bowl kids, raised to value a buck to make life comfortable on a budget. I learned to never let my hobbies interfere with making my kids go hungry or without clean clothes. I know I have more guns/gear/etc. than I do HAM Radios, but most of either were gifts from my Wife when we could afford such things. Sometimes we were strapped, mostly medical bills, but we are doing quite well.

Everyone is healthy for the most part, usual stuff like in-laws with cancer. Not our bill, just the Wife driving her Mom to doctors several days a week. Dad in law lives with us full time and pitches in with utilities and his green thumb gardening. 7 grand kids, all interested in out outdoor and shooting hobbies, timing is dependent on their parents. We still have youth tools in 22 lr and archery from when our kids were kids, and many cartons of 22 lr, from the 1990s when a brick was $8 or so. I Love shooting 22 lr, but I can't reload for it. Heck, I can cast and load .223 cheaper, 9mm cheaper still. Favorite plinker is an AR 15 in 9mm, but had to relocate everything 'black and fun' out of CA before I retired, even though I was trained and used (our version of SWAT) black and fun things. CA has always been stupid, CO is getting stupid, TX is looking better every day . . .

anothernewb
01-07-2021, 10:53 AM
That no matter how much you have, going forward from today it might never be enough.

nailed it

Gator 45/70
01-07-2021, 01:44 PM

Where's the LIKE button....