PDA

View Full Version : Took the Plunge Finally......

Dak47
12-23-2020, 06:22 PM
So, after waffling back and forth for a number years on jumping into the BP game, I finally did. I'm born and raised in BC so a front stuffer gives me no advantage for the hunting season, it is lumped in with the general rifle season. That and the maintenance fuss is what kept me out, but know fate has us on the Gulf Coast for 70% of the year for work and I have access to leases in South Texas and Louisiana...... I get it that the TVM line isn't completely historically accurate, but I just want a Flinter that functions well and looks the way I envisioned roaming the hills of the Okanagan as a kid with my 94 in hand.

Ordered the TVM Tennessee Rifle, swamped Colerain 1-56" twist, Chambers Deluxe Siler, double set triggers and Premium Maple stock. The 7 month lead time is a bummer but we are just getting a new place in Katy, so by the time we are settled...... Man, the accessories list to actually go shoot and keep it clean is extensive, it was fun to go thru all the choices.

I got the E.R. Walker - The Black Powder Rifle book. It seems like a reasonable and minimal fuss approach, still a solid guide for this sport?

Gtek
12-23-2020, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a great start! There are those that are not interested, and then there are those that dive in and the wow factor is not found. And then there are those that are picturing the next rifle in their head while there playing with the one they really like NOW. So is the second one a rock lock also or a cap?

RU shooter
12-23-2020, 07:37 PM
It will be a nice rifle , one thing to remember you don't need every gizmo and gadget to shoot and clean the pioneers carried almost all they needed to do that in one small leather bag and a powder horn to hold the powder .

Dak47
12-24-2020, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a great start! There are those that are not interested, and then there are those that dive in and the wow factor is not found. And then there are those that are picturing the next rifle in their head while there playing with the one they really like NOW. So is the second one a rock lock also or a cap?

Thank You! Unless keeping powder dry in the pan is a nightmare in the Gulf Coast humidity, I'd like to become proficient with rock locks and stick with them. Next one will be a smaller cal squirrel rifle, just for giggles and the Wife will want to try when she sees the 54 flash and belch smoke...... She even insisted on shooting my 416 Rigby that is my grizzly rifle in BC.

It will be a nice rifle , one thing to remember you don't need every gizmo and gadget to shoot and clean the pioneers carried almost all they needed to do that in one small leather bag and a powder horn to hold the powder .

Cheers to that! Trying to keep things to the brass variety and a nice leather possibles bag for hunting and then a range box for all the bulks and rods. One on the gizmo end of things, one that caught my eye, what do y'all think of a O ring flush cleaning tools? Seems like an easy out for cleaning but I have no first hand experience......

RU shooter
12-24-2020, 02:05 PM
I'm assuming the rifle your getting is a full stock with a pinned barrel ? That O ring clamp and flush thing may not be able to clamp onto your barrel while it's in the stock depends how much barrel is exposed on the other side . What I do for cleaning is take the lock off take a tooth pick stick it in the touch hole and fill barrel up with room temp water . Take the lock to the sink and scrub it with old tooth brush with water , go back to barrel filled with water dump half out and take your rod with jag attached with out a patch and plunge it into the barrel 10 or so times to agitate the water . Dump it out . Use the jag and patches wet with water till clean . Patch with WD40 to get rid of any water and then oil wipe off lock and oil lightly .

Wayne Smith
12-24-2020, 02:32 PM
I got a TVM 40 caliber flint a couple years ago - and like it. They suggest you wax the whole gun before you clean and clean basically as RUShooter wrote above. Mine is a 42" swamped barrel, and do invest in the wooden mailing box. The side of mine had a 1/2" deep punch in it would have punched through cardboard and into the stock.

I already had a bag and horn for my caplock, just transferred the flint stuff to it. Cut out a couple of powder measures from firewood. Track of the Wolf has everything you need including everything to make ram rods. You will need a longer cleaning rod than comes with the rifle. And no, if the o ring clamps to the outside of the barrel that won't work.