PDA

View Full Version : Progressive press; which one?

Onty
12-23-2020, 02:28 PM
Considering progressive press. I would appreciate your help since my knowledge about them is minuscule, experience zero.

Anyhow, here are my requirements and wishes:

- Reloading 357 Magnum only, so I need complete setup for that round (for 44 Magnum, 455 Webley and rifle rounds I have Rock Chucker)
- Automatic indexing
- Powder checking station
- I do not need case feeder
- Would like (but not necessary) if standard dies could be used
- Decent quality, "best bang for the buck"

Considering my shooting, I will be reloading up to 6000 a year.

Thanks for advice.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

BUFFALOW RED
12-23-2020, 02:47 PM
I have a Lee touret
And a 650 Dillon
The Dillon is the way to go. Bought my Dillon used after 12 years loading it was loose I shipped it back to Dillon and they sent me a brand new one I was so impressed I bought a nother one.

country gent
12-23-2020, 03:19 PM
I have 2 650s on my bench one dedicated to rifle and one to pistol rounds. They are very good machines. I do recommend the case feeder as then one hand is working the press and the other placing bullets. I also recommend extra primer tubes as you can have tubes filled ready to go. 10 tubes allows 1000 rds to be laded and your about readyfor a break then while you refill the tubes. Change over kits are reasonable and the machine is easy to swap from caliber to caliber.

I have heard a lot of good comments on the hornady machine but never ran one myself.So cant really comment on it.

The nice thing with the feeder is small cases dont present a handling problem as the feeder does it for you. I load 380s on mine occasionally and its no different than any others. On the single station those little cases gave me fits handling them. 32, 380, 9mm 38, 357 are all the same to the feeder.

XDROB
12-23-2020, 04:01 PM
I have been using a Hornady LnL. It was the ONLY one on the shelf a week after Sandy Hook. I have been loading 45,9, and 380s. With great success. I do have Inline Fabrication led lights and Hornady Powder Cop to prevent under/over charges. So far no problems.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dikman
12-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Hornady get good reviews from users, as do Dillon, of course. I have a 650 and am very happy with it. Prior to that I had a Lee Loadmaster, my advice is don't buy one. When it works it's great but you have to be prepared to tinker with it. The weak link is the primer feed system.

Petrol & Powder
12-23-2020, 06:04 PM
DILLON - Done !

If you want automatic indexing you will need a 650 or a Square Deal B. The Square Deal uses proprietary dies so I feel one of the other machines is a better choice.

If you don't need automatic indexing, or you don't WANT automatic indexing - the 550 is the way to go. I prefer the 550 over the 650 because I don't find the auto indexing to be a useful feature (and yes, I've used both).

IMO, powder check is not needed. Pay attention to what you are doing and you'll be fine. In fact, the primer warning device on my 550 broke about 15 years ago and I threw it away; don't miss that either.

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a 550. The only thing better than a 550 is TWO 550's.

Moleman-
12-23-2020, 06:10 PM
I've had most of the lee progressive presses, a Hornady projector and a LNL-AP with case and bullet feeders. I still have both hornady presses and only a Lee hand press along with a RCBS single stage. While 6000 a year isn't a great deal to load I'd still look at either the hornady or dillon 650/750 for ease of use. For a powder check die I really like the double alpha electronic check. It gives a loud audible beep and light if the charge is high or low and is easy to set up and is adjustable for sensitivity.

Walter Laich
12-23-2020, 06:19 PM
I own SDBs from Dillon (5 so far)

If you don't have dies yet then the proprietary dies vs. other brands is a moot point--you have to have some no matter which way you go.

SDB will only do pistol so think 'down the road'--will you need rifle press some day?

Winger Ed.
12-23-2020, 06:30 PM
I like my Hornady AP. I've had a old Pro-jector, it was OK, but the new version is way better for primer feed,
auto indexing and the new generation powder dropping thing.

I also like the way the support bar in front is offset at a angle.
I don't use their powder cop, but I sit high enough to look down into auto-handgun cases to see for myself.
As deep as a .357 case is, I'd get the powder cop.

nueces5
12-23-2020, 06:35 PM
Hello! if i were to be sure i was only going to load 357 mag i would buy a dillon sdb
I have and enjoy the quality of dillon

chsparkman
12-23-2020, 06:42 PM
With Hornady you can use the dies you already have, and if you decide to use it for other calibers the changeover is quick and easy.

Petrol & Powder
12-23-2020, 07:49 PM
With Dillon you can use the dies you already have.

With Dillon you get a 100% guarantee.

With Dillon you get the best customer service in the industry.

With Dillon caliber conversions are relatively simple.

In regards to "thinking down the road", this hobby only leads in one direction - expansion of equipment, calipers, techniques and money.

And of course with Dillon you get that cool BLUE press, which everyone knows is the best color press. :wink:

DDriller
12-23-2020, 07:50 PM
I have a Hornady LnL. As chsparkman said caliber change over is quick.

XDROB
12-23-2020, 08:08 PM
And Hornady's customer service is excellent! I've called to get a part (I) broke. Sent it to me free of charge.

derek45
12-23-2020, 08:27 PM
DILLON XL650/750 by a mile

with the powder check system

mike4045
12-23-2020, 09:39 PM
I highly recommend Dillon, I started out with a 450 over 40 years ago, converted it to a 550, then recently sent it back for a rebuild and they ended up sending me a brand new 550b, damn awesome customer service!

Kevin Rohrer
12-23-2020, 09:51 PM
A question that is asked every week on one or more of the reloading forum sites.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?409439-Thoughts-on-Progressive-Reloading-Machines&highlight=progressive

dverna
12-23-2020, 10:28 PM
650/750 Dillon. Add the case feeder .

onelight
12-23-2020, 10:40 PM
If he wants a powder check die and separate crimp he will have to have at least 5 stations if he wants to do the process on the press.

Newboy
12-23-2020, 11:01 PM
IDPA and IPSC guys shoot thousands of rounds a year. In the IDPA yearly magazine, they list equipment. With a rare exception, they are using Dillon.

Think about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JimB..
12-23-2020, 11:32 PM
If you post your location in your profile someone nearby might invite you to become more familiar with the options.

I started with a Dillon SDB, added a used Hornady LNL, rebuilt the LNL, sold the LNL, bought a new 650 and casefeeder, bought a used 650 and casefeeder, sold the SDB, added bullet feeders to the 650’s.

Based on my experience, I’d start with the SDB. It takes proprietary dies, and only has 4 stations, but it is relatively small compared to the other options, and is easy to operate and reliable. With a SDB you’ll never double charge unless you disable the safety linkage or don’t clear the shellplate when you have a stoppage, there is no need for a powder cop if you pay attention as you’re seating the bullet by hand. If you later decide that you want another press you can sell it in hours for 75% of new or better.

Pete44mag
12-23-2020, 11:36 PM
I have the Dillion 550. If you want the powder cop I suggest the 650 because it be 5 stations. Dillion makes great machines and their customer service is #1 bar none.

Lagamor
12-24-2020, 08:48 AM
I have the 550 and I'm very happy with it, but sometimes I wish I had bought the 650 instead. I like to reload but sometimes it's a chore and the 650 would make quick work of what I do.

A friend has the Hornady LNL and likes it a lot. I don't hear much about RCBS Pro Chuckers but they look decent too.

Blanket
12-24-2020, 09:05 AM
for what your needs are a Dillon SDB, no powder check but can get a powder level alarm. Have owned several progressives , Star, CH, Hornady, RCBS. Dillon is the way to go

kevin c
12-25-2020, 06:38 AM
I've loaded six figures worth of rounds on my SDB. I'm quite happy with it, but would add to the advisories above that it doesn't do rifle cartridges and it's a bit tight for folks with large hands.

chambers
12-25-2020, 09:49 AM
Go with Dillon 650/750 since you may load rifle. Buy the case feeder. A lot of machine. I also have the Dillon SDB and love these little machines for pistol. Dedicate a machine and load away.

oldhenry
12-25-2020, 11:18 AM
I have two 550 Dillons: one set up for small primers & the other set up for large primers. I couldn't be happier. I'd pay extra not to have auto-advance: a personal preference. I don't need a powder checker because I look into each case before seating the boolit. I load rifle cartridges on a single stage. I have not the slightest
idea how many rounds I load in an hour so that doesn't factor into my choice. All I can say is the Dillon beats the heck out of handling the case 4 to 5 times per round to get a loaded round.

curiousgeorge
12-25-2020, 11:35 AM
I've got 3 Dillon 550 presses. For me Dillon the only way to go.

sigep1764
12-25-2020, 11:40 AM
I started on a Dillon SDB. I only thought I’d load 9mm, I was foolish! That is not to say the SDB wasn’t a good purchase. I loaded a ton of ammo on it. It did break and I thought I would have to send it in for service so I bought a 550C to tide me over. They sent parts for the SDB. I loved the 550 so much I kept it and passed the repaired SDB on to a new loader on this site for a fair price for both of us. You won’t go wrong with either and if you decide to do rifle, you should be able to move into a 550 with a very small layout of cash if you sell the SDB.

375supermag
12-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Hi...
My son and I run two Hornady LnL progressive presses...one for small primer, one for large.
They both work great.
I sold both of my Dillon 550s...they were superfluous to our needs.

Three44s
12-25-2020, 12:18 PM
I went with the Hornady LNL right after Sandy Hook.

It took a little bit of futzing to get it smoothed out but I have not used it a lot since.

I own it mostly in case I need to load a lot. You never know ........

I load a lot of rifle and many different cartridges so I liked the click in die change and not having to buy different dies.

The thickness of the head of the press and the bushing system makes Lee dies come up a little short in the body length on several calibers.

In real small cases like .380 auto there is a tendency to spill powders over the mouth with somewhat bulky powders (red dot) as the auto index can be a little jerky. It’s a two step indexing but it still is a bit twitchy. That loose powder always finds its way into the primer shuttle. As a result I had to grind the bottom of the nose of the part that delivers the primer.

Also the ejection was just a little grabby and a little polishing was in order.

I set up for .223 once and gave that up because of powder bridging in the Hornady drop section of their measure. The powder was the culprit, an old extruded number from Hercules (RL11).

I have experienced the powder measure unlocking as well as some dies. You need a fatter O Ring or the shim kit from Hornady if that happens.

Three44s

wildwilly501
12-26-2020, 09:23 AM
I bought the Hornady LNL AP when they first came available good price and at the time 1000 bullets.I have had all the little issues that people post about. The ones that required new parts Hornady sent quickly and free the polishing and enlarging shell plates so they would work I did myself.My machine is working fine now and has been for some time but the one thing I can't fix is the powder spilling when the case is over 2/3 full especially with flake powder.When I bought my LNL AP the price difference was greater never drank the Blue Kool-Aid but kinda wish I had.If I was buying today it would be a 750

Onty
12-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Thank you all for info.

A question that is asked every week on one or more of the reloading forum sites.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?409439-Thoughts-on-Progressive-Reloading-Machines&highlight=progressive
And thank you Kevin for this link. I didn't search hard enough.

Seems to me that Dillon is the way to go. A friend, dealer, has used (his own) Square Deal, but he strongly recommends going straight to new 750. He is also telling me to get case feeder. Well, I was watching another friend using 450 and 550, making something like 200-250 rounds in one hour, that is more than enough for my needs.

Kevin Rohrer
12-26-2020, 01:04 PM
Seems to me that Dillon is the way to go. A friend, dealer, has used (his own) Square Deal, but he strongly recommends going straight to new 750. He is also telling me to get case feeder. Well, I was watching another friend using 450 and 550, making something like 200-250 rounds in one hour, that is more than enough for my needs.

I used a 550 for 30-years and when it stopped working reliably and I got tired of replacing parts, bought a 750 w/o the case feeder. It works, but ended up getting the case feeder. Both have their bugaboos, but together, I can safely turn-out 400-rounds of ammo an hour. The 750 requires you to be more careful than the 550, but turning-out 100-rounds in 15-minutes is pretty kewl.

David2011
12-27-2020, 03:39 PM
One of my friends has a Hornady. He came to my house when his equipment was temporarily in storage. He was blown away by the difference between the Hornady and my Dillon, by far preferring the Dillon. You do want the 650 for a powder check station and you really do want the case feeder. I have both a 550 and a 650. Got the 550 in 1991 to load 38/357 and was shooting about 400 rounds per trip to the range at the time. The 650 is usually set up to load .40 S&W and it takes me 20 minutes to load 300 rounds with pre-loaded primer tubes.

USPSA has the same Dillon participation rate as IDPA; almost everyone that reloads in USPSA uses a Dillon.

Gunslinger1911
12-27-2020, 06:08 PM
Dillon 550 owner here, something like 25 years.

Suits my needs, is capable of 400/hr. I run it around 250-300/hr.

Now the 650/750 is a heck of a press - son in law just got one, we've been playing with it.
Kinda finicky on the setup, but jeeze Louise ! Once happy will really crank em out !
For 500 rounds or less, taking into account setup for calib - I can beat him with my 550. And he has the case feeder.
Haven't looked at conversion kits, but I assume 550 cheaper.
Only ding on the 550 is 4 station, unless you seat and crimp on one stage - no powder check. Not and issue to me - I trust my measure and try to look in the case as I put bullet in.
You will be pleased with either, Dillon rocks ! Cust serv is second to none.
I called one day for parts; yea, I ham handed it and broke stuff, admitted it to CS, "No worries Sir-parts on the way - what, no sir I don't need your cred card number, just your cust num for address - have a nice day".
Prob $50 in parts, gratis.
I heard thru a trusted friend; a friend of his had a 650 setup in his garage, wife had a boo boo, mashed it with her truck - hard.
He called CS, told the truth, told to "send it in, we'll look at it".
Got a call a week after sending it, "we're sorry sir, it's totaled", pause for dramatic effect, "we are sending you a new one".
Guy asks the lady "you did that on purpose, didn't you ?".
"Yes Sir, ......... have a nice day"

GT1
12-27-2020, 06:55 PM
6000 rounds a year is a pittance for something like a 650/750, that is 125 a week. Best bang for the buck would be the Lee classic turret. If you have the 1 hour each week to use it. Cheap caliber changes, good measures. Same exact patent for the dillon measure, as Mike Dillon paid Richard Lee for the rights to copy his designs.
However, if you want to burn money, and it is America and all that, if a 1500+ dollars worth of press makes you happy then go for it. It will take at least that much by the time you are all in. That goes for the hornady also, and don't get near a green one, that isn't rcbs' thing.
But, a 650/750 can knock out that 6000 rounds in a couple weekends and then sit for the rest of the year. I know this because I have one, also, that 650/750 won't run for squat without the case feeder.

chumly2071
12-27-2020, 11:32 PM
My first press was/is a Dillon 650, and evolved into 2 650s and a 1050 (and several single stage RCBS). 1050 is used for case prep on bottle neck rounds. I prefer loading on the 650(s). All the Dillons have case feeders. Love my blue koolaid.

Good friend had a Hornady LnL AP (he's a machinist, engineer, and had a manufacturing SOT FFL for a time), and he hated it enough he bought a 650 to replace it, and won't sell the LnL to anyone he knows. He loves his 650.

I'd jump into a 650/750 again in a heartbeat. Like all presses, they have their quirks too, but most have been related to my keeping them cleaned and lubed properly.

YMMV.

SOFMatchstaff
12-27-2020, 11:35 PM
I'm still loading on my (1983) 2nd Dillon, a RL450 with up grades, the 1st was a RL1000, still loading on it too. I have four 1050s, three Stars, and some 550s plus all the other single stage crunchers. Get a 550 and load away. When the demand for ammo gets to 20 to 30 K, then think about a big progressive.

"I have a Lee Touret" "Tourettes", LMAO mental picture of rapid fire swearing at the Lee, Hyyukhyuk got tears on that one..

Carrier
12-28-2020, 12:32 AM
I bought the Hornady LNL AP when they first came available good price and at the time 1000 bullets.I have had all the little issues that people post about. The ones that required new parts Hornady sent quickly and free the polishing and enlarging shell plates so they would work I did myself.My machine is working fine now and has been for some time but the one thing I can't fix is the powder spilling when the case is over 2/3 full especially with flake powder.When I bought my LNL AP the price difference was greater never drank the Blue Kool-Aid but kinda wish I had.If I was buying today it would be a 750

If you replace the case spring with a 2.5mm by 69mm inside diameter o-ring the powder spill issue will be gone. Before installing o-ring take a small amount of case lube or lanolin and put a very slight coat on it.

wildwilly501
12-28-2020, 08:55 AM
I'm trying to fiqure out why an o-ring would make a difference.Mine spills from the jerkiness/quickness of moving to the next station.I don't have a problem buying a o-ring just trying to see how it could help

Baltimoreed
12-28-2020, 04:57 PM
In the 70s I started on a Pacific ‘C’ press, then picked up a used rock chucker but then got a new Lyman T2 and a second T2. Then a pair of really good friends gave me Dillon 550b’s that they weren’t using. After a good cleaning I recently set up the second 550 for 300blkout only. I prime on press with both the Dillon and Lymans. Either would be ok for the op. It actually depends on your mindset, do you move the work to the tool or the tool to the work? If you are worried about spilling powder get a Lyman turret and move the dies, not the cases. I also like the 6 stations on the Lyman better than the 4 on the Dillon. I use Dillon 550 powder measures [the best] even on the Lymans . But have a micrometer RCBS measure for working up loads on the second Dillon currently.

Carrier
12-28-2020, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to fiqure out why an o-ring would make a difference.Mine spills from the jerkiness/quickness of moving to the next station.I don't have a problem buying a o-ring just trying to see how it could help

Because it takes all the jerkiness out. I can load 9mm with 8 grains of #7 and not spill any at all. Read this and it will explain it. I had a bit of issues when first doing it but after getting the right lube and the right amount on the o-ring it works like a champ.
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/283615-hornady-lnl-ap-powder-jump-fix/

wildwilly501
12-29-2020, 08:30 AM
Because it takes all the jerkiness out. I can load 9mm with 8 grains of #7 and not spill any at all. Read this and it will explain it. I had a bit of issues when first doing it but after getting the right lube and the right amount on the o-ring it works like a champ.
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/283615-hornady-lnl-ap-powder-jump-fix/ Thanks Next Mc-Master-carr order I be trying it

Burnt Fingers
12-29-2020, 04:14 PM
I tried the Hornady AP, I've owned three of them. Sold them all. I'm a Dillon guy now. I have a pair of 650's bolted to the bench.

I could never get the Hornady primer system to run 100%. My 650's just run and run and run.

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2020, 06:25 AM
if i was absolutely certain the only thing id ever reload is pistol id probably recommend a square deal. There as fast as a 650 with a case feeder and alot cheaper and a good press. If i someday might do some rifle progressive stuff it would be a 550 all the way. May not be the fastest but its WILL be the most reliable and versatile.

wildwilly501
01-04-2021, 06:17 PM
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/283615-hornady-lnl-ap-powder-jump-fix/ Bought O-rings from Amazon 10 for 10 Tried it today I spilled a lot less powder in 100 rounds then I usually do in 10 and some of that might have been checking charge weights little harder to get the case in and out compared to the spring

XDROB
01-04-2021, 11:14 PM
Bought O-rings from Amazon 10 for 10 Tried it today I spilled a lot less powder in 100 rounds then I usually do in 10 and some of that might have been checking charge weights little harder to get the case in and out compared to the springWhat did you lube it with? I don't have lanolin but have petroleum jelly. Or is that not good to use on rubber?

wildwilly501
01-05-2021, 07:55 AM
Hornady Unique case lube

Carrier
01-06-2021, 02:30 AM
What did you lube it with? I don't have lanolin but have petroleum jelly. Or is that not good to use on rubber?

The guy who wrote the article on using o-rings said not to use anything but lanolin or a case lube like Unique that I use.

Petander
01-06-2021, 01:45 PM
Good friend had a Hornady LnL AP (he's a machinist, engineer, and had a manufacturing SOT FFL for a time), and he hated it enough he bought a 650 to replace it, and won't sell the LnL to anyone he knows.

LnL here. I got it for free 15 years ago, just used it today for 38 Special. A friend bought two Dillons.

I don't use the primer system,it works but you WILL charge an unprimed case,spill powder (from the primer hole) under the plate and disassemble everything every 100 rounds. Pain.

There's no way to tell how many primers are still in the tube. Count? Hah. And 100 primers? Once you just got going you have to stop,changing the tube (if you have a spare) is hard,the whole thing is hard to reach... filling the tubes is slow and hard...

But it works fine with sized/primed brass. It WILL throw some powder from a case,you need to put a finger on it after you charge,before the press gives that tiny "shake"... Doable for me. Ammo is pretty good even though the rubber rings for those stupid quick detach mounts turn quality dies into Lees...

I'd never buy a LnL for any real price.

Hi end Dillons are real PROGRESSIVE presses.

wildwilly501
01-06-2021, 03:36 PM
There is a way to tell how many primers left.Should have been a white rod with the press.Goes in the primer tube on top of the primers.Shows how many left and helps the primers feed

Guardian
01-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Considering progressive press. I would appreciate your help since my knowledge about them is minuscule, experience zero.

My first question is, do you like the reloading process? Second is why do you think you want to go progressive?

I love the process of reloading! I like it as much as I do shooting. I made the jump to progressive because I am a tool junkie and already had several single stage presses and a nice turret press (Redding T7), but I thought I wanted more production. What I didn't realize prior to buying a progressive was:

1- a progressive press largely removes you from the operation. You are just a monitor and troubleshooter after the initial setup.
2- keeping a progressive fed requires an exponential increase in components if you are wanting to maintain the same amount of time per week playing with your reloading setup.

Both of these seem laughable, in retrospect, as it seems rather obvious. Neither of these items would be issues to those who view reloading as a chore and just want to get on to the next thing. Reloading was (and as often as I can make time for it anymore, is) a way to let the day's worries melt away while being productive. I don't "do nothing" very well.

A turret press allows the process to speed up a bit, but you are still very much engaged in each step. I particularly like not having to fiddle with dies, just change tool heads if the caliber I want is not in the current tool head. I can either load batches like is done on a single stage (if I know I have enough time for the whole batch) or I can choose to completely load one cartridge before beginning the next.

What is your tolerance level for tinkering and adjusting? If you want zero of either, I don't think a progressive is the tool for you. I don't care what brand/color it is, a progressive is a machine that requires adjustment and mechanical aptitude. What is easy to troubleshoot and adjust to me may be a nightmare to another, and vice versa.

Anyhow, here are my requirements and wishes:

- Reloading 357 Magnum only, so I need complete setup for that round (for 44 Magnum, 455 Webley and rifle rounds I have Rock Chucker)

I've never used a Dillon SDB, but I do have a dedicated progressive press (a CH MK IV) for 10mm. It stays set up for one load. If you know you are unlikely to get into other calibers that you'll want in volume or are willing to buy another dedicated machine later, that may be the way to go.

- Automatic indexing

I agree. I find manual indexing to be aggravating; however, it does offer the user a means of controlling the rotational speed to mitigate powder spillage. I don't own one, but I have used a Dillon 550. The Dillon 650 is jerkier than the Hornady LNL AP, in my opinion, but my understanding is that there are aftermarket parts to address this. I like the half step rotation of the LNL AP, but it did take some adjusting of the pawls to get it running exactly how I wanted it. That was a one time adjustment and I've not touched it since.

- Powder checking station

This is what got me to the Hornady LNL and Dillon 650 debate. I thought I had to have this feature. I never use it for that purpose. I tried the Hornady powder cop die and decided it didn't really do what I wanted. I ended up needing the 5th space so that I could expand and powder charge in separate stations, but that is due to a personal preference thing with cast boolits. I find the Hornady powder through expander system is adequate for jacketed, but not for cast; so I use the separate expanding die. Point is, you might not find as much utility with the powder checking as you think. Some folks swear by it, but I find sufficient lighting to look in every case to be more important.

- I do not need case feeder

One of the nice things about the Hornady LNL AP is that the brass and bullet are input on the same side, allowing one handed feeding of both. I grab a case between my left thumb and second finger and a bullet between the same thumb and index finger and load them into the press in the same order. I also cut the boss for the case feeder off the subplate for my LNL AP because it got in the way of my hand feeding, as I have no plans to put a case feeder on it.

On a Dillon 650/750, you will want the case feeder. The bullet and brass enter the shell plate on opposite sides. It is inconvenient, at best, to load the short tube with a few cases and then place bullets for a few pulls and repeat. I do this on my CH, so I know the aggravation of which I speak. About the time you get in a rhythm, its time to stop and put more cases in. Do yourself a favor if you get the Dillon 750, get the case feeder.

- Would like (but not necessary) if standard dies could be used

If you're ok with a dedicated press, the Dillon SDB comes with the dies, so who cares. Otherwise, most other presses meet this requirement.

- Decent quality, "best bang for the buck"

This is the highly subjective part. DISCALIMER: I do not have brand loyalty within the reloading market. I do have brands that I have negative opinions of through my own experiences (Lyman customer service is an example). I also am predisposed to pulling for the underdog, so if anyone does something better than a Dillon I would be inclined to make note of it. The only Dillon product I own at present is a Dillon 600 primer pocket swaging tool.....and I wasted a lot of money trying everything else that was on the market at the time prior to buying it. I hate to admit that, but it is what it is.

JMorris tried to tell me years ago that the crux of any progressive is the priming system, and he was/is absolutely correct. There are things that I prefer about the Hornady LNL press: the half step rotation described above, the same side brass/bullet feeding described above, the bushing system for the dies, and the powder measure. But the Hornady priming system on my press, as delivered, was not up to snuff. It is now working after the replacement of the subplate and appears to have been a manufacturing defect, but it took a while to sort it out and I bought the replacement parts due to an unrelated issue (rust during a period of storage between homes)....Hornady didn't "provide" them or acknowledge that they had an issue. They seem to have fixed it with later sub plates and this may not be an issue currently.

Considering my shooting, I will be reloading up to 6000 a year.

I have no idea how many rounds I shoot a year. I don't even know how many I load each year. I have the records, just never cared to go through and figure it out. The Hornady has met my needs, but if I were back at that point in the decision process with foresight instead of hindsight, I'd probably make a different decision and have more blue on my bench. At this point, I can't justify the switch as what I have is doing fine.

Now, there are peripherals that may also become "necessities" once you step into progressive reloading, though not so much with straight wall pistol cases. I had to figure out a way to trim cases faster when I began running rifle rounds on my progressive. I ended up with a Giroud trimmer, but there were intermediate steps that costed time and money. Dillon didn't have their press mounted trimmer out at that time.

I probably never would have gotten into bullet swaging and casting had it not been for the progressive....I didn't shoot near as much then because it took longer to produce it. Oh well, there are worse habits I could have....

Any brands/models not mentioned are left out due to lack of personal experience with them. Sorry that got long winded, but maybe it will help someone.

Guardian
01-06-2021, 04:34 PM
There is a way to tell how many primers left.Should have been a white rod with the press.Goes in the primer tube on top of the primers.Shows how many left and helps the primers feed

Yep. Drop it into an empty magazine and make a mark on the rod with a sharpie and you'll know before it runs out. If you want a 5 primer heads-up and ain't good at spacial relations, put 5 primers in the magazine and draw another line. Repeat for as many indications as you want.

Petander
01-06-2021, 08:09 PM

I see.

Never had one of those but I have borrowed long knitting pin from my wife for that purpose. It still takes lots of attention to follow the primers... and tube change is not a pleasant operation. Some primers will go everywhere.

The outer tube needed a support bracket right from the start so I built one. And the metal tubes sometimes make me feel a little uneasy... you know... IF the primers go off in that double metal tube...

LnL is not a complete failure. It's a solid press. But you tweak a lot and load 15 min, tweak again and load 15 min... it's not very relaxing reloading,watch that baseplate bolt turning loose etc....

Pre-sizing and priming makes LnL okay to me. But it's not "progressive" reloading.

wc870
01-06-2021, 08:11 PM
another one here for the Dillon camp, 3 550's and a square deal, love em all. no complaints and great customer service.

selmerfan
01-07-2021, 05:11 PM
Dillon. No questions asked. I use a Dillon 550 because I don't want the auto index and I have never wanted it. If you do want it, I know that there are 650s popping up in the used market because of the 750s popularity. I've never used the 650 or 750. It sounds like the 750 is the 650 with the 550 priming mechanism. I just LOVE my 550 and the only thing better would be two 550s.

Big Wes
01-09-2021, 09:36 AM
I have three Dillons SDB, 550B, and a 650 great presses

XDROB
01-09-2021, 11:23 AM
To WildWily,
There is a way to tell how many primers left.Should have been a white rod with the press.Goes in the primer tube on top of the primers.Shows how many left and helps the primers fee.

I either got a white rod or made one. I put a black mark on it to let me see when I was getting low.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

farmbif
01-09-2021, 11:30 AM
unfortunately everything is out of stock and who know when you might be able to get anything at normal price. I'll just keep using the old presses that I have for now.
Dillon has not raised prices and its a 2 to 3 month wait right now. I did a search for a new Hornady and all I found available was one on amazon for $2300, that was a couple days ago, someone probably bought it to go along with the $1250 box of primers.

XDROB
01-09-2021, 11:34 AM
The guy who wrote the article on using o-rings said not to use anything but lanolin or a case lube like Unique that I use.So I got the orings from Amazon. Looking around for lanolin. Without having to buy a large amount. I've found that there is another use. Sore nipples on breastfeeding women. So I'm sending my wife to Walmart to see if she can find a small enough tube of what I'm guessing pure lanolin.

On another note, How much do you use to lube the oring? Just barely covering it?

Carrier
01-11-2021, 01:04 AM
So I got the orings from Amazon. Looking around for lanolin. Without having to buy a large amount. I've found that there is another use. Sore nipples on breastfeeding women. So I'm sending my wife to Walmart to see if she can find a small enough tube of what I'm guessing pure lanolin.

On another note, How much do you use to lube the oring? Just barely covering it?

Hornady Unique or Imperial case lube works if you have any. The sore nipple stuff will probably work as well just put a very small amount on your finger and rub the o-ring with enough to make it shine. In this case less is better..

XDROB
01-11-2021, 09:15 AM
Thank you for that answer. I don't do any rifle reloading so have not had to buy any case lube. Also I was trying to stay as close to (Vince) who I think is the original poster some time ago. Wanted to use lanolin. So looked it up on the Google and found that the most common use was for women with sore nipples because of breastfeeding. So off to Walmart to get a small tube of it. Actually the wife did(she was already going). It is Supposedly 100% and Even came with a travel sized tube. In case I want to setup another station somewhere else. Haha

onelight
01-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Thank you for that answer. I don't do any rifle reloading so have not had to buy any case lube. Also I was trying to stay as close to (Vince) who I think is the original poster some time ago. Wanted to use lanolin. So looked it up on the Google and found that the most common use was for women with sore nipples because of breastfeeding. So off to Walmart to get a small tube of it. Actually the wife did(she was already going). It is Supposedly 100% and Even came with a travel sized tube. In case I want to setup another station somewhere else. Haha

All I can say is setting up another station where that is needed may get you in some real trouble at your primary station :)

David2011
01-14-2021, 01:37 AM
What did you lube it with? I don't have lanolin but have petroleum jelly. Or is that not good to use on rubber?

On my Nikonos underwater cameras the recommended lube for o-rings is pure silicone grease. It only takes just enough to make the o-ring shiny.

jeff423
01-14-2021, 11:10 AM
My first press was/is a Dillon 650, and evolved into 2 650s and a 1050 (and several single stage RCBS). 1050 is used for case prep on bottle neck rounds. I prefer loading on the 650(s). All the Dillons have case feeders. Love my blue koolaid.

Good friend had a Hornady LnL AP (he's a machinist, engineer, and had a manufacturing SOT FFL for a time), and he hated it enough he bought a 650 to replace it, and won't sell the LnL to anyone he knows. He loves his 650.

I'd jump into a 650/750 again in a heartbeat. Like all presses, they have their quirks too, but most have been related to my keeping them cleaned and lubed properly.

YMMV.

My experience was similar. I bought a LNL, had problems, worked with Hornady - they were great but could never get my problems resolved. I returned it (and paid a restocking fee) and bought a 650 with the shell feeder and have never looked back. My LNL was an early one and may have been an anomaly, but it was problematical and I got rid of it.

MOC031
01-14-2021, 11:37 AM
This is probably getting boringly repetitive, but... Dillon XL650/750, WITH the case feeder. If you don't get the case feeder, I doubt you will have any more productivity than the 550 when you're still inserting cases by hand. Although you will have extra stations to work with.

First progressive was a turret press. Then bought a 550 when they were the new kid on the block. I was shooting a lot of PPC when the XL650 was announced, and again bought one of the first ones when they became available. I have no idea how many .38 Spl, 9mm, .40 S&W, and now 5.56 I have loaded on my XL650 in the decades since I bought it, but in hours saved it has paid for itself many times over. No issues.

It had the jerkiness that could spill powder as the cases moved to the next station when loading 9mm with bulky powders that filled the case close to the mouth. The inexpensive kits available out there will fix that in short order.

An XL650 is overkill for loading 6K a year as the OP specified. BUT... I know far, far more handgun reloaders who have progressed to loading more and more rounds per year, than I do guys who are still reloading the same number as when they bought their press. Starting at an XL with case feeder makes increased reloading output seamless - and the time saved can be spent casting or shooting instead. It might not seem like much per session, especially at 6K a year type levels, but it adds up over the years.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2021, 06:47 AM

make sure what your buying is anhydrous lanolin. Not water based. Its basicaly imperial sizing wax at 10 times cheaper prices. I bought a 2lb tub of it 15 years ago because it was the key ingredient in felix lube. Used about half of it to make lube but today do pc and that tub is still lubing all my rifle cases and its the best lube ive ever used and ive used all of them. I think i paid 30 bucks back then for that tub. What i do is just put a few hundred cases in a shoe box and put a small dab in the palm of my hand and work my hand through the brass. Ive never had a stuck case doing it that way even with small base dies. Now ill tell you theres other good lubes. I like lees and rcbs's and imperial but im paying for there deluded lanolin in fancy packaging. here you go. probably a life time supply of case lube for 18 bucks

gbrown
01-15-2021, 12:27 PM
I have 2 Dillon, 550B and SDB. One for rifle, one for pistol. I was loading pistol on the 550 until I acquired the SDB. Was great, but the SDB is better for pistol, IIMHO. Get it adjusted, get going, verifying powder throw from time to time. 650 or SDB? Your call, just the volume of reloading you need, and what you want to pay.

thorswhisper
02-19-2021, 03:47 PM
For pistol reloading, an old Dillon 450 works just great and can be had fairly cheaply. Very simple machine. Allows you to set your own pace. Well as least that was the case a year ago. These days things have gotten crazy expensive not matter what if it pertains to reloading.

farmbif
02-19-2021, 04:00 PM
just think that with the way supplies are right now if you had ordered a new Dillon after Christmas it would probably be delivered right about now according the delays they posted on web site. other manufactures who knows when you might get something available.

TN/TX99
02-21-2021, 04:40 AM
I like my Dillon 650; it works!

XDROB
02-21-2021, 10:00 AM
I ended up with a Hornady LocknLoad AP press. Was the only one left on the shelf at my local Cabela's the week after Sandy Hook. So can't talk to any others. I learned to like it. I had to stop reloading because of health issues a few years ago.

But I'm back and getting back into it. Have been talking to Randal Bragg from Bragging Rights Tools and have purchased his alignment tools. Looking forward to getting this press working like a swiss clock.

William Yanda
02-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Do you want to join the Blue tribe. the Green tribe, or one of the Red tribes?

tbpollard
02-22-2021, 04:49 PM
I have a lee loadmaster, and for the price it's excellent. That being said, there's a laundry list of modifications I had to do in order to get it to run how I liked.

lesterktm
03-02-2021, 04:28 PM
I have a lee loadmaster, and for the price it's excellent. That being said, there's a laundry list of modifications I had to do in order to get it to run how I liked.

Same here. Have 2 loadmasters and now have them running really well. Lots of mods. Many thanks to Mikes Reloading Bench, his knowledge and products really helped make this press run smoothly.

It seems to me every USA made press manufacturer has excellent customer support. I would also say Lee's support is second to none. On multiple occasions I have contacted them for products I broke admittedly through user error (eg. decapping pins) and they laughed and sent me 3. I tried to buy them and they wouldn't let me. Great people there.

I would love a Dillon when I can afford it. Although I like the look of the upcoming Frankford Arsenal FX10. That might be my next press...