PDA

View Full Version : My 10mm’s are slower than my 38-40...

shooting on a shoestring
12-22-2020, 09:36 PM
By late morning I found myself with a few hours to run to the shooting range. Temperature was in the mid 60’s heading for the low 70’s, south breeze. Oh I love winter in Central Texas!

Decided to travel light, leave chronograph at home with the bench rest stuff, shooting mat, notebook, no working up loads, just time to go shooting for FUN. Grabbed the 10mm’s, ammo, paper plates and dueling tree.

For guns I use as defensive tools, I like to take them out occasionally for exercise, make sure magazine springs still work, make sure I’m still familiar with them, today was a good day for that.

I set up a paper plate chest high at 5 yards in front of me, another 15 yards to the side, the dueling tree at 20 yards between them. I just wanted to do some move and shoot practice with the defensive loads in each gun to see if they would have performed had I needed them. They all ran as they should.

My standard 10mm intruder deflators are Sig V-crown 165 grain JHPs with enough Blue Dot to get 1350-1400 fps depending on which gun they’re in and what the temperature is. I use the NOE 165 RF at the same velocity to replicate the JHP load for practical practice.

First up was the Ruger 10mm Night Watchman, stock except I replaced the plastic chevron panels with checkered Rosewood from Altamont. Gun ran fine, but I found I was struggling to hit quickly. It just seemed that I was very slow with it. I didn’t remember being slow with it before.

Next was the Springfield XDM 4.5” stock except I added night sights. Striker fired polymer pistol should be really fast right? Nope still slow moving between paper plates and 4” dueling tree flags. No use shooting faster than I could hit.

So I hoped the Sig P220 DA/SA might pickup the pace with its weight. Nope. I did hit well with that first long pull DA shot, but often missed with the 2nd or third SA shots. Still struggling for any speed. Just was slow getting hits.

I could tell I needed a break after close to 200 rounds to drink some water and have a snack. Just stuffing those rounds into magazines is work even with an Uplula helper. Revolvers are so much easier to reload than magazines.

As I was walking to the pickup for a bottle of water I remembered I had the Colt SAA in 38-40 in it. So I grabbed it for kicks and there was my speed! Ok, probably still real slow compared to anyone shooting in competitions, but I could hit much faster than with any of the 10’s!

Now the 38-40 was shooting Accurate 40-172E with Herco at 1050 fps. So it was not the horse power of the 10’s, but it also didn’t have the shock absorbing recoil springs and slides of the reciprocators. And the SAA sights are tiny on the 3rd Gen Colt.

I don’t think this proves anything other than I need to buy a shot timer so I can measure how much real difference there is between my slow shooting 10’s and my less slow SAA.

I also did some one-handed shooting holding a flashlight in the other hand. The SAA was much slower shooting one handed, but so were the 10’s.

I guess I’m a little disappointed my performance with the 10mm’s was noticeably worse than with my SAA.

dverna
12-22-2020, 11:29 PM
For what it is worth, I shoot my Colt SAA’s faster than a semi-auto....for the first 5 shots

It takes longer for a slide to cycle than thumbing back the hammer.

But I carry a Glock

jdfoxinc
12-23-2020, 12:02 AM
Get a shot timer app for your phone.

sparkyv
12-23-2020, 09:08 AM
Well, you are sending those V-crown 165 grain JHPs downrange with authority, and Newton's laws haven't gone by the wayside...that equal and opposite response has influence somewhere...looks like in the muzzle flip. The 38-40 is more comparable to the 40S&W so I'd expect a little less recoil vs. the 10mm. That 10mm is an awesome caliber.

RJM52
12-23-2020, 01:04 PM
Wouldn't beat yourself up too much if you haven't done this for a while... You are also running the most powerful 1911 loads available other than maybe a .45 Super or .460 Roland...

If you are doing this for defensive practice I would suggest you change your targets to full size realistic targets placed 3-5-7 yards away and spead out just like it would happen for real.

Then do a run from the holster, hiding the gun behind your back and from low ready....

Shot timers are great...I've had a Competition Electronics for 20+ years and it is still going strong...

Bob

shooting on a shoestring
12-23-2020, 03:13 PM
dverna, thanks. Good to know you’ve seen the same thing. Maybe the lesson here is it’s hard to beat the Colt SAA.

jdfoxinc, I never heard of nor thought about such a thing as a phone app. Thanks.

Sparkyv, yep. Agreed.

RJM52, Good thoughts. I appreciate it.

Yeah I think I’m coming to realize I can turn any fun event into an opportunity to measure, collect data and analyze. So, I do think I’ll get a shot timer and generate some data....

I’m not a warrior type. But I refuse to be anybody’s victim.

It seems like I need to up my game a little with my 10mm’s. Or...I might be more effective with a lesser caliber. Or maybe I should consider the SAA further... Yep I need more data. Time to get a timer and another notebook.

35remington
12-23-2020, 05:58 PM
Given the cyclic rate of a semiauto handgun is less than 0.05 second it’s pretty hard to imagine anyone cocking a hammer faster than that. That means that firing a shot and cocking the hammer has to occur in less than 0.05 seconds, or half a tenth of a second.

Quite possible for an individual to prefer a revolver, but cocking the hammer faster than a slide cycles nobody can do including Jerry Miculek.

shooting on a shoestring
12-23-2020, 09:14 PM
Yep I concur. But it’s not just cocking the hammer vs slide cycle. I could wiggle the trigger and dump 5 rounds faster from my 10’s than from my SAA. But I can make 5 hits faster with my SAA than my 10’s.

35remington
12-23-2020, 09:40 PM
Yes, no argument there. But maybe more practice is needed with the 10mm as others have suggested. Since the gun is cycling itself for you perhaps this distracts your attention from the matter at hand a bit...I dunno.

MrWolf
12-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Maybe you just started warming up late? I know it takes me longer to warm up and 60's are still cool to me as I get older. Just tossing out an idea. Good luck.

onelight
12-24-2020, 12:57 PM
For me I shoot best what I shoot the most .
When I change it takes me a a bit of shooting to get back to my best.
There is a reason for the old saying "beware of the man with just one gun"

Wayne Smith
12-25-2020, 10:10 AM
Try dry firing each and see which points most naturally. It is likely that your hand/body fits one style better than the other and that natural pointing ability makes much of the difference.