PDA

View Full Version : Quest for a needle in a haystack

LRRifleman
12-22-2020, 06:50 PM
Greetings!

Ever have one of those moments where you want to kick yourself for NOT buying something that you DIDN'T need, just in case you might need it after it's been discontinued?

Now that I am looking at putting together some "Skeeter" loads in 357 and 44 Special, I have dug out my old Hornady Pistol Powder Measure, the one with the interchangeable brass/bronze bushings that threw predetermined volumes of powder.

Well, long story made short, there are a couple of bushings that I could use that I don't have. Fortunately, I have some duplicate smaller cavity bushings that I can sacrifice in order to make the larger cavity bushings that I could use.

My question is, is there anyone on the forum that has this powder measure and could provide the cavity inside diameter for bushings: 10, 14, and 16? I realize it would be unrealistic to find someone here that may have these bushings laying around and would be willing to part with them!

Can anyone provide the ID for the above bushings?

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

Shawlerbrook
12-22-2020, 06:55 PM
Don’t have what you need as I am still in search of some more bushing for these handy little tools, especially the larger ones. Might want to get some of the nylon 1/2” spacers at the hardware store and do a little experimenting. Wish someone would make a run of the brass ones.

gmsharps
12-22-2020, 06:59 PM
I have some of these bushings. I’ll check in the morning and see what I have.

Gmsharps

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2020, 07:02 PM
Shawlerbrook has an excellent idea.

You could use a cheap material to make a mock-up of what you need.

An alternative would be to simply do the math for the volume of a cylinder and using the known values you have, predict the needed volumes (diameters). You could then "sneak up" on the required internal diameter to throw the charge weight of the powder you are using. It shouldn't be that difficult if you have known values for smaller charge weights of the same powder.

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2020, 07:05 PM
maybe this will help:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?55180-Hornady-Pistol-Powder-Measure-Bushing-sizes

onelight
12-22-2020, 07:21 PM
I don't have any idea what they look like , but could they be made with a 3D printer ?

LRRifleman
12-22-2020, 07:33 PM
I don't know if they could, or if I would trust something printed on a 3D printed that would be dispensing gunpowder. These bushings are cylinders 0.498" in diameter that are 0.499" tall with a central cavity of a predetermined diameter that dispenses a specific volume of powder.

LRRifleman
12-22-2020, 07:39 PM
maybe this will help:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?55180-Hornady-Pistol-Powder-Measure-Bushing-sizes

This post introduces a fantastic idea, and a few helpful dimensions!

pworley1
12-22-2020, 07:57 PM
I make most of mine because some times the jump between bushings is more than I like. I drill a hole with the nearest smaller drill bit that I have and then open it with a tapered reamer. I can easily make 1/10g increments this way.

mdi
12-23-2020, 12:54 PM
These appear to be the same bushings as my Pacific (now Hornady) Pistol Powder Measure. The numbers do not correspond to the older bushing numbers (1-22?) but the present numbers represent ID. May help...

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-presses/reloading-press-accessories/powder-bushings-prod39316.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hornady+powder+bushings&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

country gent
12-23-2020, 03:03 PM
I find it easier to use a larger size bushing and line with tape making the cavity smaller to what I want. Works well and dosnt actually change the bushing from original. Graingers Mc Master car MSC all sell 1/2" brass bushings with various sized holes. Buy the 1/2" dia X 1/2" long with a 3/16" hole to start then open bore up as needed. A set of taper pin reamers makes fine adjustment easier as the reamer can be ran down a little deeper to slightly enlarge the cavity as needed.

These bushing are a great little project for the little mini lathes also. 1/2" brass or aluminum round stock a parting tool center drill drill set and taper pin reamer set

richhodg66
12-24-2020, 09:38 AM
I know I have one of the measures and some rotors in my Dad's stuff, whether I can find it quikly remains to be seen. Seems like they work like an RCBS lil Dandy, which I use whenever I can.

Ole Joe Clarke
12-24-2020, 09:55 AM
Here ye are. FMYB, free machining yellow brass material.

The outside diameter is .500 +0 -.003 or so. It need to be a few thousands undersize so it will be a slip fit in the bar. The length is also 1/2" +0 -.005. Drill the hole to about .230 dia and the drill and ream/polish to the size you want.

Have a blessed and merry Christmas!

Leon

https://i.imgur.com/j3aPyt5.jpg

Wayne Smith
12-24-2020, 10:34 AM
Two types of Pistol Power Measures - and I don't know if the OP is asking about the one with the slide that almost all the other posts here are addressing or if he is asking about the one that has a round rod that has a cavity in it and the rod slides horizontally into the measure like the RCBS measure? This always needs to be clarified in these threads.

richhodg66
12-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Two types of Pistol Power Measures - and I don't know if the OP is asking about the one with the slide that almost all the other posts here are addressing or if he is asking about the one that has a round rod that has a cavity in it and the rod slides horizontally into the measure like the RCBS measure? This always needs to be clarified in these threads.

The brass round rods are what I was thinking he meant.

Shawlerbrook
12-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Because the op asked for information on bushing size, I assumed he meant the 1/2”x1/2” round ones for the measure in old joe clark’spost. Could be wrong, won’t be the first or last time.