PDA

View Full Version : Student reloading

wch
12-22-2020, 09:47 AM
College student doesn't have a lot of money to spend on reloading and I was wondering what cheaper options exist for him to look at?

EMC45
12-22-2020, 09:51 AM
Lee hand press and Lee tumble lube molds.

Ickisrulz
12-22-2020, 10:00 AM
Since this is the worst time ever to start reloading, I'd say hold off and save up money until things get back to normal.

pertnear
12-22-2020, 10:09 AM
Since this is the worst time ever to start reloading, I'd say hold off and save up money until things get back to normal.

Good advice, be patient right now.

I say buy a quality used press, dies & balance scale. This forum is a good place to shop.

bedbugbilly
12-22-2020, 10:24 AM
I agree with Ickisrulz - this is not the best time for a person to get into reloading. Prices of used equipment have gone up due to shortages as a result of Covid shutdowns. Components - especially powder and primers have pretty much dried up fo the time being. None of those things will prevent anyone who does reload and has some supplies from sitting down with them though and teaching them what they need to know and give them some hands on.

I've been trying tp help two different fellows get started - picking up decent used things that they will need but I have advised both to just "hold tight" until components start to become more available. Kind of hard to reload with no primers or no powder. It is an excellent time - and Im not being smart about it - to expose a person who is interested in shooting and guns of the joys of shooting a muzzleloader - especially a flintlock that doesn't need percussion caps which are also in short supply.

Hard times to help out a person who really has an interest in reloading and the desire to do it. Offer encouragement, if you can sit down with them and show them the basics - by all means take advantage of being able to help someone learn those things. Encourage him to put money away if he/she can so the when things finally start becoming available again, they will be able to get started.

Bazoo
12-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Check midsouth, search "powder" and use the "in stock" filter. Anything suitable, go ahead and purchase some.

Buy used equipment. Not on ebay, buy it here. Collect the gear as reasonable prices are found and by the time primers become available, it should all be had.

Buy ammo now by checking all the local stores that don't gouge. New gun people don't know the routine. Swing by academy every time you're in town and eventually you score.

richhodg66
12-22-2020, 11:15 AM
I'd start accumulating the equipment now and worry about primers as they come available. I have bought great old presses and dies for next to nothing at gun shows.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-22-2020, 11:23 AM
College student doesn't have a lot of money to spend on reloading and I was wondering what cheaper options exist for him to look at?

He needs a Grandparent with excess equipment ;)

sundog
12-22-2020, 11:28 AM
This is a good time to learn, and a good time to be a mentor. Important lessons shared include thrift and economy, a good time to slow down and learn all the basics (and nuances).

If you so desire to help someone, be their mentor, share a few supplies and it will repaid many fold in the future, mostly without you ever knowing. This is as much about character building as it is the art and science.

I guess that is all I have to say about that.

richhodg66
12-22-2020, 11:52 AM
He needs a Grandparent with excess equipment ;)

You sure got that right. I have so much stuff from my dad now, really need to start downsizing a lot of it.

richhodg66
12-22-2020, 11:53 AM

What specifically is he looking to load for and what does he want to do with it?

BamaNapper
12-22-2020, 11:54 AM
Agreed, it's not the best time to get into the hobby. But I'll second the Lee Hand Press when someone is on a serious budget. It's an investment in time instead of money. 50 rounds in an evening at the kitchen table is enough to keep someone shooting. And that hand press is not wasted money regardless of how big a bench he eventually ends up with.

If I knew someone in that situation I'd be willing to work with him to get him started. He could use my setup to cast up boolits to begin with, maybe in trade for a morning mining the berm to get him a stash of lead. And I have an extra powder scale sitting around. Primers and powder are hard to come by, but I'm pretty sure I could find some of those in my stash as well. My time spent shooting and reloading has dropped off because of the shortages. It would be fun spending that extra time getting someone else into the hobby.

Thanks for the thought. I believe I know someone like that.

farmbif
12-22-2020, 11:57 AM
even if you were to go rob a few b banks and some 7-11's you probably wouldn't be able to find primers and powder unless you happen to have a generous friend who is an avid shooter/reloader. and if you had such a friend he would be teaching you reloading skills cuz that's just the kind o people we are.

MUSTANG
12-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Best bet is for those who are experienced reloader - Teach/Mentor the new crop. Have the young ones ready to pick up Primers is they appear in Local Reloading Sources; as the Teacher/Mentor can - provide the tools, knowledge, guidance, and limited Powder/Primer/Ball. Encourage and teach the Younger/Neophyte to "Plan" their reloads, limit the reloads to a High Value area (no broad experimentation on numerous load component areas), and shoot with the intent of EACH SHOT COUNTS.

When the availability of Primer/Ball/Powder turns around, the Neophyte Reloader will be prepared to join the ranks at a lesser price point than current Lunar Trajectory Costs; and they will have learned "Planned Discipline" rather than bulk output.

Scrounge
12-22-2020, 12:15 PM
What makes you think there will ever be a better time to get into reloading? Any functional press will be better than no press. A vise can be substituted, if you're handy. Lyman 310 tools are getting to be rare & pricey, but Lee makes a somewhat larger hand press that can be had on Amazon for about $70. Yes, components are hard to get. This isn't the first time in history that has been true. Won't be the last even if Mr. Trump does stay in the Whitehouse for another term. For a college student a small & very portable set could be a great buy even at today's prices.

MUSTANG
12-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Perhaps time to re-energize the tried and true Whack-a-Mole reloader. I used these in the 1970's; easy to fit in a small space to take with me on overseas assignments. Did not realize that Lee still made the Whack-a-Mole reloading sets. Some seem to be available on Amazon:

.223: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-223-Rem-Loader/dp/B001TQ6YCW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-7

.308: https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-308-Win-Loader/dp/B013XRXXR8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-4

.44 Mag: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-44-Mag-Loader/dp/B00162TI4A/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-10

.38 Special: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-38-SPL-Loader/dp/B00162RS7O/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-18

.45 ACP: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-ACP-Lee-Loader/dp/B00162RSD8/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-19

.45 Colt: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90263-Classic-Loader-45/dp/B00162THL4/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-17

wyofool
12-22-2020, 02:30 PM
This is a good time to learn, and a good time to be a mentor. Important lessons shared include thrift and economy, a good time to slow down and learn all the basics (and nuances).

If you so desire to help someone, be their mentor, share a few supplies and it will repaid many fold in the future, mostly without you ever knowing. This is as much about character building as it is the art and science.

I guess that is all I have to say about that.

I'm doing it now with a lady who rides (horses) with my wife. A good time to learn.

country gent
12-22-2020, 02:31 PM
The Lee loader kit are still available the kit a scales, a mallet and a block of wood are all thats needed. Cut a medium sized piece of oak maple or hickory a8-so" in dia at a comfortable hieght for him to work sitting. This makes a quick solid bench to hammer on. First upgrade would be a cheap arbor press from harbor freight to replace the hammer. Then a hand primer , a powder measure and stand. He can grow with the equipment as he goes.

VariableRecall
12-22-2020, 02:56 PM
I'd certainly second the Lee Hand Press as a worthy tool to get started! It may be fairly slow, but I just prepare as much brass as I can ahead of time so that all I need to do is charge and seat/crimp when I'm needing more ammunition.

I'm new to this whole business as well and if it weren't for the generosity of the fine people on this forum, it would have been downright impossible for me to get started in these supply-dry times.

pcolapaddler
12-22-2020, 03:16 PM
I started using lee loader) whack a mole for 38 spl/357. Worked fine. I did set of a primer or two when repriming. That'll scare the heck out of you.

Some of these are getting harder to find and more costly. They're ok if you only want to do a single caliber and don't need much volume.

Graduated to lee hand press and still have it. A bit quicker and more economical than the whack a mole sets.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Gewehr-Guy
12-22-2020, 03:23 PM
If he is going to load for a rifle caliber a Lee Loader is sufficient to produce quality ammo, and it didn't dissuade me from a lifetime of reloading. I still enjoy using them on occasion. If loading for a pistol or revolver, I'd get an old press and scale, and a set of carbide dies, and find the fancy stuff later. Sometimes when learning a new skill, the less equipment you have makes you master it more quickly.

Wayne Smith
12-22-2020, 03:27 PM
Consider that I just came from the range and they want $40 for a box of 50 9mm! I just bought a thousand cases from a guy here just this month and paid just over $35 including shipping. Primers and powder I have and about 250 Berry's bonded bullets that I bought from Cabela's last month. I also bought 2 lbs HP38 from Cabelas this past month.

At those prices for ammo even overpriced reloading equipment is affordable!

Yes, if I knew a college student who wanted to learn to reload he'd be upstairs in my gun room doing so right now! He'd be using my equipment and learning what he likes and doesn't like about my setup. Then when he can afford his own he will have a knowledge base upon which to make reasonable choices.

wch
12-22-2020, 03:56 PM
All of these are great answers and suggestions!
Thank you!

Dimner
12-22-2020, 05:12 PM
a lee breech lock single stage would be my suggestion. It's only about 25 bucks more than the hand press if I recall. I have mine fastened to a 2x6 with lagbolts with the nuts counter bored. Then I just use hand clamps to clamp it to my desk in my home den/office. Would be just as easy to do in the dorms, or at your kitchen table of the apartment. With clamps it's plenty strong on any normal surface. That makes your setup totally portable. I remember college life. Move every 6-12 months. And even sometimes move as much the few years after.

I like having this setup because I can swap presses at my desk and be near the family/watch tv etc.

1 2"x6"x10"
2 clamps (C clamps are just fine)
1 Lee single stage breech lock
Lyman's Reloading Manual
Set of dies
Lee powder scoops
Brass
Bullets
Primers
Powder
Lee Case trimmer (if doing rifle)

That's about all you need for the very beginning.

If you are near SW Michigan I will give you 200 rifle primers to start with.

Even if you are going to save up some to get your desired setup, I would still start your quest to find primers. Finding a 100 at a time is just fine for someone starting, you will have enough in no time if you can find a few sleeves here and there.

As for the manual. Get the standard Lyman manual if you are reloading jacketed (it still has one or two tables of cast bullet data per cartridge). If you are going to cast, get the cast bullet version.

Chad5005
12-22-2020, 05:34 PM
You sure got that right. I have so much stuff from my dad now, really need to start downsizing a lot of it.

what will he be reloading for

Handloader109
12-22-2020, 05:40 PM
You can find powder. You just have to look and be able to drop the $ when you see it. Brass is easy, Bullets can be found, but kind of hard right now unless you cast., Primers are the big issue.
And, Yes, some of you guys do try and reprime spent primers. This is NOT what a newby should try..... Kaboom easy

country gent
12-22-2020, 06:06 PM
The other part of a colledge student reloading is he may not have room in the dorm or appartment for a full blown bench set up. The lee loader and everything needed will fit in a apprentice style machinists tool box and be well organized

JimB..
12-22-2020, 06:56 PM
What does he want to reload, and are you willing to at least give us a hint at his/her location?

Blanket
12-22-2020, 07:05 PM
outline what the newbie wants to do and his expectations as well as calibers or gauges, I have started many.

wch
12-22-2020, 07:30 PM
a lee breech lock single stage would be my suggestion. It's only about 25 bucks more than the hand press if I recall. I have mine fastened to a 2x6 with lagbolts with the nuts counter bored. Then I just use hand clamps to clamp it to my desk in my home den/office. Would be just as easy to do in the dorms, or at your kitchen table of the apartment. With clamps it's plenty strong on any normal surface. That makes your setup totally portable. I remember college life. Move every 6-12 months. And even sometimes move as much the few years after.

I like having this setup because I can swap presses at my desk and be near the family/watch tv etc.

1 2"x6"x10"
2 clamps (C clamps are just fine)
1 Lee single stage breech lock
Lyman's Reloading Manual
Set of dies
Lee powder scoops
Brass
Bullets
Primers
Powder
Lee Case trimmer (if doing rifle)

That's about all you need for the very beginning.

If you are near SW Michigan I will give you 200 rifle primers to start with.

Even if you are going to save up some to get your desired setup, I would still start your quest to find primers. Finding a 100 at a time is just fine for someone starting, you will have enough in no time if you can find a few sleeves here and there.

As for the manual. Get the standard Lyman manual if you are reloading jacketed (it still has one or two tables of cast bullet data per cartridge). If you are going to cast, get the cast bullet version.

Certainly appeals to me!

green mountain boy
12-22-2020, 07:53 PM
i would say to take the time to teach them right,on their own they will learn the bad habits.

David2011
12-23-2020, 03:23 AM
I would like to mentor new reloaders but finding any that are truly interested in learning is difficult. Over the years I’ve offered many times but very few have been willing to commit the time. We moved to an area where I don’t have any involvement in hunting or the shooting sports and haven’t made any shooting friends yet. The guys I shot with years ago before I left this area were all older than me and have since passed on. Until I know some people that could refer students to me I’m reluctant to invite anyone to my house, even if Covid wasn’t a concern.

dverna
12-23-2020, 08:01 AM
i would say to take the time to teach them right,on their own they will learn the bad habits.

From what I have seen, low volume reloaders who have very little experience over many years are the ones to watch out for. YMMV

I learned from reading books and that is one of the best ways. In any case, it is not rocket science to do it safely.

I doubt this person will be allowed to reload in a dorm. Too many snowflakes at colleges to allow that to ever happen.

Good questions about his needs...until that is known, we are shooting in the dark.

jsizemore
12-23-2020, 09:16 AM
Back in the day folks used hand dies and a mallet at the kitchen table. You could load wherever you happened to camp or practice shooting.

contender1
12-23-2020, 10:29 AM
I'm going to go a different direction here.

A person truly interested,, will benefit from a good instructor,, (mentor) and can become another member to our fold.

But,, many casual shooters,, and especially those on tight budgets,, may NOT be the type to get into serious reloading. But,, knowing how people do it,, many of those same people THINK they want to reload.
That said,, the "whack-a-mole Lee kits will most often scare them. I have had that said to me often by newbies. OR,, they will not put forth the effort (work) to make good ammo.
That will turn that person away from reloading & possibly away from shooting.

I am in instructor.
When I teach,, my first class with students,, I tell them that it may NOT be for everyone. I also advise them to be frugal, study & buy carefully,, and to buy the best they can afford. And that they can find top quality,, at less than retail pricing,, if they have one main thing that's required for reloading,,,,,,,,,,,,, PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I advise them to buy a couple of manuals FIRST.
Then,, STUDY!

From there,,, then they need to evaluate what calibers they wish to load for AND what purposes the ammo will be used for.
STUDY some more.
Look at the current living arrangement. A college dorm is much different than a permanent 6 bedroom home with a shop. Space & requirements dictate the next direction.
Figure out WHERE you will be reloading,, and can you dedicate a specific space to that alone?
Next,, the equipment can be studied & purchased used in many different places. One place to consider,, make friends & family a specific list of items necessary to be used as a gift guide for Christmas, Birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Letting someone else buy an item,, and you can benefit.

I equate it all to a brain surgeon. They start out as a student, then an intern, and then an assistant,, before they lead the surgery team.

We who have the years of experience,, especially over a variety of calibers & types,, combined with the necessary equipment,, can make the difference.

gbrown
12-23-2020, 10:34 AM
I started reloading with my best friend when I was 16. Very few people reloaded at that time. At least we were not aware of them. It was read the manuals, follow the instructions, and be careful. My buddy bought a 357 magnum, used the Lee reloader, and loaded some up. Went to the range and we shot his handiwork. Flames shot out of the muzzle and cylinder. It was just at dusk. I told him, it didn't seem right. He went home, checked his work, called me and said he messed up, he misread the load data, and had loaded 1 grain over max. Luckily, it was a S&W Highway Patrol, well made. Went a long way in reinforcing/branding reloading safety to 2 novices.

Wayne Smith
12-23-2020, 12:27 PM
The other part of a colledge student reloading is he may not have room in the dorm or appartment for a full blown bench set up. The lee loader and everything needed will fit in a apprentice style machinists tool box and be well organized

That is exactly why I said he'd be upstairs in my house doing it - not allowed on college campuses and probably not allowed to have the gun there either. Unless he is rich he might even be shooting my guns until he can afford to buy his own.

10x
12-23-2020, 01:01 PM
Perhaps time to re-energize the tried and true Whack-a-Mole reloader. I used these in the 1970's; easy to fit in a small space to take with me on overseas assignments. Did not realize that Lee still made the Whack-a-Mole reloading sets. Some seem to be available on Amazon:

.223: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-223-Rem-Loader/dp/B001TQ6YCW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-7

.308: https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-308-Win-Loader/dp/B013XRXXR8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-4

.44 Mag: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-44-Mag-Loader/dp/B00162TI4A/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-10

.38 Special: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-38-SPL-Loader/dp/B00162RS7O/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-18

.45 ACP: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-ACP-Lee-Loader/dp/B00162RSD8/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-19

.45 Colt: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90263-Classic-Loader-45/dp/B00162THL4/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=lee+loader+kit&qid=1608659981&sr=8-17

That is how i started in the 1960s. A reloading press was way beyond my budget. It strained my budget to buy the lee classic kit for 30/30 and bullets powder and primers. But the savings over the years allowed me to shoot more.
A lee 150 grain mold, Unique® powder, a tray with lube, and the whack a mole 0.309" bullet size die dropped the cost of a 30/30 round to under $0.045 gas check included.
I have since spent a small fortune on feeding my acquisitions. There is no way I could afford to shoot with out reloading. And cast bullets. My 9.3x57 eats cast bullets like a fat girl eats chocolates

I am currently looking for a Lee Classic kit in 8x57 so I can ream it out to 9.3x57,
Lee is cutting back on production of their basic kit and that is a very bad business move in these challenging economic times.

Three44s
12-24-2020, 04:25 AM
When supplies are more plentiful, the rainy day Reloaders will go back to factory ammo.

Three44s

remy3424
12-24-2020, 11:20 AM

/\ What he said. He is a colege kid, he has no time and money for this hobby at this point of his life. Do him a favor and just let him use your equipment for now, if he has any time. Maybe it will stick and once he has a job (money) and maybe some free time he can start buying his own equipment. If you want to be his Santa, give him what you don't use..or once the gunshows fire-up again, pick-up some used equipment.