PDA

View Full Version : New use for my spotting scope...

44Blam
12-21-2020, 11:05 PM
Got a pic (using my phone through the scope) of Jupiter and Saturn...

cwtebay
12-21-2020, 11:08 PM
It's going to be awesome!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Larry Gibson
12-22-2020, 12:55 AM
Watched it tonight through my Kowa spotting scope. Was awesome, could see Saturn's rings and 4 of Jupiter moons.

Winger Ed.
12-22-2020, 12:57 AM
That was pretty cool.
My neighbor has a decent size star gazing telescope, we could see it well and 4 of Jupiter's moons too.
They were faint, but we could sort of see Saturn's rings as well.

fn1889m
12-22-2020, 01:26 AM
It’s snowing here in Washington. There is supposed to be a meteor shower later tonight as well.

MrWolf
12-22-2020, 06:18 AM
Could not see the Christmas star due to heavy cloud cover last night. We tried.

robg
12-22-2020, 08:57 AM
as usual cloudy and raining here.

murf205
12-24-2020, 11:03 PM
Watched it tonight through my Kowa spotting scope. Was awesome, could see Saturn's rings and 4 of Jupiter moons.

I watched it through my Kowa as well Larry and it REALLY made me realize that I need a much better tripod! It was quite an experience though.

charlie b
12-25-2020, 09:40 AM
In the 'old days' I could not afford a 'good' tripod. When looking at second hand shops found a surveyor's tripod. Heavy, bulky, but sturdy as a rock. Made an adaptor plate for the scope.

Now days they probably cost as much as a new one.

onelight
12-25-2020, 09:45 AM
In the 'old days' I could not afford a 'good' tripod. When looking at second hand shops found a surveyor's tripod. Heavy, bulky, but sturdy as a rock. Made an adaptor plate for the scope.

Now days they probably cost as much as a new one.
That's a good idea ! I have a tripod for a Lazer nice and heavy and will push into the ground much less likely to blow down I it used for grading . I need to make me an adapter for my spotting scope.

fcvan
12-25-2020, 02:35 PM
I am not much into star gazing, though I used to be. I bought a Spotting Scope a few years back, and took the grand kids whale watching off the N CA coastline, pretty convenient as they live a block from the bluffs. The tri pod it came with was junk, a taller tri pod I have is too flimsy for the coastal breeze and therefore worthless. My brother is an avid photographer and has several commercial tri pods that do fine.

I bought an adapter that holds my iPhone, and the shutter can be set for voice operation. Mi primary use is for viewing targets at 100 yards, taking pictures instead of saving targets. I shoot through a chronograph and log my shots. Later, I can edit the photos by adding the data to the image.

I have used the scope for star gazing, just don't get out enough to enjoy that. My brother and I have gotten back into HAM radio this past year, concentrating on portable/remote operation, perfect for some star gazing as well. Running digital modes allows more hands free time for star gazing and radio operations. More trips planned for better weather and camping away from noise (RFI) and light pollution. Warm fire, cold iced tea, a crackling radio, and the spotting scope. Well, that and my Brother's telescope.

charlie b
12-25-2020, 03:44 PM
I used to like tracking satellites. But, takes a good traverse and elevation mechanism or a motorized mount. Many could be viewed with the eye or binos. The medium size ones took a good set of optics.

murf205
12-27-2020, 07:32 PM
That's the problem with "range" tripods. Once you get the spotter fixed onto the target AND focused, you are usually good to go. But, celestial objects appear to move and when you try to re-focus or move the spotter, the wiggles set in and when you magnify all that with a set of old worn out eyeballs...well, you get the picture. I am just thankful to have a decent spotting scope.

charlie b
12-27-2020, 10:13 PM
Which is why astronomical telescopes frequently have 'equatorial' mounts so star motion can be controlled with just one knob instead of using both azimuth and elevation.