PDA

View Full Version : Load needed 375 ruger plain base

clearwater
12-21-2020, 10:32 AM
While I have a hunting load with a heavier gas checked boolit, I am looking for data for a cheaper practice load with a 240 grain plain base projectile.

have unique, reloder 7, IMR4320, IMR 4895,

Silvercreek Farmer
12-21-2020, 11:47 AM
I'd probably start at 9-10 grains of Unique then work up until accuracy falls apart. This is just a guess, use at your own risk. You might experience primer backouts, and shoulder set back at these levels. Drilling your flash holes a bit larger should remedy these issues.

clearwater
12-21-2020, 03:57 PM
I would like to run the load with enough pressure to not worry about drilling flash holes. Would like to use the Unique up as it is my oldest powder (cardboard canister).
I checked and also have some new Bullseye. See some recommendations for 10-13 grains bullseye for the 375 H&H by Ed Harris.

What do you think.

charlie b
12-21-2020, 11:13 PM
These guys had some data on it.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Larry Gibson
12-22-2020, 02:16 AM
See some recommendations for 10-13 grains bullseye for the 375 H&H by Ed Harris.

Best advise. It's where I started with the 375449 in my own 375 H&H. The 375 Ruger case has a sufficient amount of shoulder that drilling flash holes may not be needed especially if your rifle is a CRF?

clearwater
12-22-2020, 01:02 PM
See some recommendations for 10-13 grains bullseye for the 375 H&H by Ed Harris.

Best advise. It's where I started with the 375449 in my own 375 H&H. The 375 Ruger case has a sufficient amount of shoulder that drilling flash holes may not be needed especially if your rifle is a CRF?

It is a Mossberg, so a push feed. I think I will try the Bullseye and the Unique (12-16 grains Harris mentions) and alternate brass use. Will report back when I get a chance at the range.

(A $300 rifle that shoots $100 ammo) I bought it as I wanted a medium bore to try and it has become the deer camp backup and carried on elk hunts when it is sloppy snow with rough terrain. So far with cast loads shoots minute of deer, it is very light to carry and I enjoy shooting it with the lighter loads.
Things I don't like so much is the length of pull is long when wearing heavy clothes and the front plastic sight is fragile.

richhodg66
12-22-2020, 01:10 PM
It is a Mossberg, so a push feed.

(A $300 rifle that shoots $100 ammo) I bought it as I wanted a medium bore to try and it has become the deer camp backup and carried on elk hunts when it is sloppy snow with rough terrain. So far with cast loads shoots minute of deer, it is very light to carry and I enjoy shooting it with the lighter loads.
Things I don't like so much is the length of pull is long when wearing heavy clothes and the front plastic sight is fragile.

That 10 grains of Unique is a good starting point with almost any centerfire rifle case bigger than a .30-30.

I have been fighting the urge to buy one of those Mossbergs in .375 Ruger in a local shop. I have been shooting a .38-55 a LOT the past couple of years and having a bolt gun that would use the same bullets and be able to really shoot powerful loads with them would be cool.

FWIW, that Lee bullet mold for the .375, plain based with a slight bevel and about 250 grains, has been a good bullet for me and is real cheap to get into since it's a Lee mold.