PDA

View Full Version : Bullplate Sprue lube silly question

Patrick L
12-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I got my Bullplate in the mail today. That was fast, about a week or so snailmailed all the way up there and back. Thanks!

I realize this stuff is supposed to be the cat's meow for aluminum molds (that's why I got it) but is it meant to be used on iron molds as well?

Dale53
12-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I use Bull Shop Sprue Plate lube on ALL of my moulds (even my wonderful H&G moulds). They all need a bit of lube and they ALL get it.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
i use it on iron molds too. They dont need the lube on the face of the spruce plate or even the top of the blocks but it helps keep the lead from sticking when you get to hot. It does help on all hinge points and alignment pins though.
I use Bull Shop Sprue Plate lube on ALL of my moulds (even my wonderful H&G moulds). They all need a bit of lube and they ALL get it.

Dale53

Calamity Jake
12-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Yap use it on iron and alum alike. Just DON"T get it in the cavities.
When you get ready to lube a hot mold with it, before you open the bottle shake it couple of times then wet your Q tip with what is in the lid and then only just a little, a very little, because it goes a long ways.

Dale53
12-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Contrary to what most may think, use of Bullshop's Sprue Plate lube on iron moulds is VERY helpful. Following directions (Calamity Jake's suggestion on using it sparingly is "spot on") is quite important. I use it on top of the mould, top and bottom of the sprue plate, and the alighnment pins and cavities (NOT the bullet cavities:confused:).

Lead will NOT stick where the lube is used. This helps the sprue to "pop off" the sprue plate and if you open the sprue plate too soon, you can just wipe the lead off the top of the mould (sometimes I get a bit impatient). All of these little things add up to time and aggravation savers.

The aluminum moulds need to be lubed to keep from wearing the mould out (once, when I had only been casting for a little while - I flat wore out an aluminum mould in one session - lead wipe stuck to the bottom of the sprue plate and wore a groove in the top of the VERY soft mould). This was a TC maxiball mould and ruined it for further use.
Of course, this was operator error and one that I DIDN'T repeat.

Lee's two cavity moulds don't seem to want to close cleanly (some find that setting the mould on a flat surface helps them to align properly as they close). Aluminum to aluminum tends to gall. The lube prevents galling and allows the moulds to smoothly close in perfect alignment.

Just remember, you want JUST a film of the lube at the various points (alignment pins and sockets, top and bottom of sprue plate, top of the mould, and hinge bolt). Keep it out of the cavities. I apply then immediately wipe it off with a clean q-tip. I apply when the mould is up to heat and apply while the bullets are still in the cavities (helps to prevent getting the lube in the bullet cavities).

So, I use this excellent lube for all of my moulds.

Dale53

mooman76
12-16-2008, 10:19 PM
I put some in my Lee dipper. Lead would stick around the pour spout making the pour a little messy and it wouldn't pour even. The lead didnt stick as much after that and it pours smoother now.

quasi
12-17-2008, 12:45 AM
I have found Bullplate to be an excellent laxative.

2muchstuf
12-17-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm on my 2nd bottle, never knew you had to shake it!!!!!
Learn sompin new every day if you keep your ears open.

In all honesty, my 1st bottle went into boolit lube, almost gone now.
Can see no reason to change, it's been working fine for what I've been using it for.

When I look into the 2nd bottle, it still looks like it's full almost a year later.

Good stuff, no dought in my mind.
Never tried it for a laxitive though I can't see why it wouldn't work.

No_1
12-17-2008, 06:02 AM
You have to shake it? I did not know that either. Sometimes I forget to do the obvious.

Robert

Calamity Jake
12-17-2008, 10:02 AM
You don't have to shake it, I posted that for instructions to get some inside the lid and then use some of the lube in the lid for treating the mold, you could just turn it up-side-down a couple of time and do the same thing.

Just don't take the lid off while holding up-side-down [smilie=b: :bigsmyl2::kidding:

No_1
12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Just don't take the lid off while holding up-side-down [smilie=b: :bigsmyl2::kidding:

Or leave the lid off the bottle while you are applying it to your moulds, handles, whatever you are using it for or you will find the fastest way to use/loose a whole bottle of the stuff. At my bench it seems like the lidless bottles attrack elbows [smilie=1:

Robert

pjh421
12-17-2008, 11:52 PM
I read somewhere that it helps prevent colon cancer, so I never cast without it.

Paul