PDA

View Full Version : Going to retire her

chuck40219
12-20-2020, 07:53 PM
Forty years ago this last summer I bought a CVA nondescript 50 cal rifle. Have hunted with it on and off ever since. It has accounted for 27 deer by me and several more by the people I have given the chance to hunt with a muzzleloader. It has been abused and mistreated but has always been faithful when the shot counted. I have a friend that his family owned a sporting goods store and I was allowed to buy the gun at their cost so the gun owes me nothing. I have no ideal how much powder this gun has burned. On Saturday 12-19-2020 it has killed its last deer. A small doe. I thank you CVA and all the people that designed and built this little gun. You done good.

chuck40219

Brass&Lead
12-20-2020, 09:51 PM
Will it be put in a place of honor such as over the fireplace mantel?

bedbugbilly
12-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Forty years old and you're going to retire it? Heck . . it's still a "young'un" yet! LOL

The only CVA I have ever owned was one of their little .32 cal Squirrel Rifles. Strictly a Plain Jane but it was an excellent shooter and had no problems knocking tree rats out of the tree tops. It sounds like the rifle has served you well and hope that you either hang it in a place where you can see it and remember all of the successful hunts - or if you have children - pass it on to one fo them so they can continue to shoot it. It certainly served you well!

Shawlerbrook
12-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Great idea ! Gives you an excuse to buy a new rifle.

GARD72977
12-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Great story. I'm not a hunter so I have no stories like this........

chuck40219
12-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Just moved into a patio home with no mantle. Going into the safe after I get the stock waxed. Barrel and lock already clean and oiled. Will be waiting on the son to pick it up.

Most of my guns have name tags attached to who they go to when I am gone. The boy gets this one, along with others.

Chuck40219

chuck40219
12-21-2020, 01:09 PM
Great idea ! Gives you an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Having a hard time resisting as I have way more guns that need shooting now.

Chuck40219

chuck40219
12-21-2020, 01:18 PM
Great story. I'm not a hunter so I have no stories like this........

I may not be hunting much anymore. The cold here gets to me real quick. And then the problem of getting the deer out of the woods.

May just stick to target shooting from now on out.

Chuck40219

Kylongrifle32
12-21-2020, 06:09 PM
Aw come on now Chuck. Just get her out next October for early muzzleloader season. It will be sunny and 85 degrees here in ole Kaintuckee.

godzilla
12-21-2020, 10:16 PM
Growing up we had the CVA model above and a TC hawken. The TC was a nicer gun fit and finish wise but the CVA shot circles around it. in the end that's all that matters when meat is needed on the table.

MrWolf
12-22-2020, 06:30 AM
I may not be hunting much anymore. The cold here gets to me real quick. And then the problem of getting the deer out of the woods.

Chuck40219

Just need to rearrange how you hunt. If your own property it is a lot easier. I have "heard" of using a garage with an offset basement casement window, hung upside down. Wire from the wall holds the window open. A makeshift bed or cot in garage for laying down. Of course all depends on deer movement patterns and definitely have the backhoe ready. Good luck.

remy3424
12-22-2020, 08:27 AM
I am just impressed that you somehow kept track of the number of deer shot and when you acquired the rifle! Pheasant season, I generally keep one tail feather from each bird harvested, you must have a routine to keep track also....46 roosters so far this season. I wouldn't have a clue the number of deer I have harvested, yesterday added one more to the talley. My brain doesn't correlate dates, even years with events, other folks can tell you the year any event they can think of. Well done.

chuck40219
12-22-2020, 09:02 AM
I am just impressed that you somehow kept track of the number of deer shot and when you acquired the rifle! Pheasant season, I generally keep one tail feather from each bird harvested, you must have a routine to keep track also....46 roosters so far this season. I wouldn't have a clue the number of deer I have harvested, yesterday added one more to the talley. My brain doesn't correlate dates, even years with events, other folks can tell you the year any event they can think of. Well done.

I keep a log for each gun I own, for the 22lr target guns I know how many shots that gun has had through it sense I have owned it. As for the deer, I have a log listing what gun and what year and I have a photo of most of them. Used to keep a log on the groundhogs but lost that years ago. Sadly no more groundhogs around here to hunt anymore.

This gives me a way to remember what really happened.

Chuck40219

toot
12-22-2020, 09:38 AM
at 76+++, I now only shoot holes in paper targets. but been there & done that. a great story. and remember that retirement is a good thing, even for an old friend, your gun.

gumbo333
12-22-2020, 01:17 PM
Its part of you. Why change now?

Edward
12-22-2020, 04:51 PM

Chuck40219

Do like the injuns did ,where the meat hits the ground/make camp and smoke signal the others in the tribe (clean up in isle #5) Ed

Texas by God
12-22-2020, 11:30 PM
I would welcome one just like yours but in .54 caliber. I only have a Lyman Plains Pistol .54 is why. I've owned 3 CVA rifles through the years - they all shot great and were lightweight, a big bonus in my opinion. The $65 .50 cal Blazer that I had with the inline nipple and screen door spring lockwork would put 3 patched round balls in 3" at 100 yards. It accounted for a jackrabbit, a tom turkey, a javalina and a whitetail doe in one weekend for me. A nice sidelock like yours would get use here. Your son will cherish the family legend!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

nelsonted1
12-24-2020, 04:53 PM
I lived in KY for.20 years. I never.could get used to how blasted high the humidity staid. I'm from Minnesota and it gets way below zero but if its colder just add clothes. When its humid and 35 it sucks bad