PDA

View Full Version : Book on Boolit Lubes

GregLaROCHE
12-20-2020, 03:18 PM
Came across this book in a recent post.
“What You Should Know About Bullet Lubricants For The Black Powder Cartridge Rifle”
It looks interesting, but I would like to know how much good information is in it. I’m not a beginner in rendering fat and making my own lubes, but if there are advanced topics I may order a copy. Unfortunately, I am in Europe and it will cost me almost $50 to get it to me. Is it worth it?
Thanks

MOA
12-20-2020, 03:43 PM
Who's the author?? Who's the publisher? No email orderability?

GregLaROCHE
12-20-2020, 04:06 PM
The author is Paul Mathews. When you Google the title, it comes up for sale at Amazon, but when I search it in Amazon it doesn’t come up. It is also for sale at Track of the Wolf. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/329/1/BOOK-BL-BPCR

shaune509
12-20-2020, 06:17 PM
All of Paul Mathews books are good reads, but most every thing has also been covered on this site with some searching. I do have several of his BP cartridge titles that I ordered from Buffalo arms.
Shaune509

GregLaROCHE
12-21-2020, 07:01 AM
The cover of the book shows lye and linseed oil. I haven’t come across using those yet. I’ll search here to see if there’s anything about lye and boolit lube.

GregLaROCHE
12-22-2020, 07:55 AM
Has anyone seen this book?

Gewehr-Guy
12-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Yes , I have a copy of Mathews book, and he discusses the use of lye to saponify a bullet lubricant, to raise the melting point of the lube.

He also mentions using linseed oil in a lube recipe, and how it improved the texture of one of his harder lubes.

I paid a bit over $22 for my copy, and got some useful tips from it, but at 94 pages I might think twice before spending $ 50, but it is a good book in my opinion.