PDA

View Full Version : My opinion of the .454

44man
12-15-2008, 12:16 PM
My friend has had one for years and has worked thousands of loads. I have helped him and shot many rounds from his gun. Accuracy that I like has never been there. Hunting accuracy ONLY that would limit range.
I just had the opportunity to work loads for one myself. The first thing I found is that loads need to be near or at max before they will even fire and a hang fire can appear at anytime.
There is no steady progression to tight groups as the charge is changed. When you think you have a good load, the next group will be all over the place.
Even with max loads, every recoil is different. Weak one time and wrist twisting the next. Fliers are common.
My opinion it that it is the stupidity of using a SR primer! I have tried about all of them now and even the mag primers do not change recoil feel or fliers.
Moving to the .460 case, it uses a LR primer and is what the .454 should use. If I had a .454, I would buy .460 brass and cut it down.
Has anyone done this? Please post results.

felix
12-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I agree with you 100 percent, 44man. The primer configuration between the current 454 case and 41 maggie case should be exchanged. ... felix

dk17hmr
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree, I like my 454 alot but I hate the idea of a SMALL RIFLE primer in it.

Is it a pressure thing?, is that why the 454 has small primer pockets?
I use Remington 7 1/2 Primers seem to work very well for me.

felix
12-15-2008, 01:16 PM
No, it is not a pressure thing per your thinking, but instead an abrupt force thing in the 41 Mag case pushing the boolit out of the case before consistent ignition of the powder. The bigger 454 case needs a much wider flame front to ignite the powder more consistently. The BR remmie primer typically has the hottest flame temp and that is why it works in the 454, but it provides too much force for consistent ignition using light weight boolits. The objective here is to select normal primers for a normal job in each case configuration. ... felix

454PB
12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
The various histories I've read on Dick Casull's development of the .454 Casull say it IS a "pressure thing".

I too have had some adventures with hangfires and squibs, but only with slow ball powders like WC 820, AAC#9, H-110, and WW 296. For the last couple of years, I've been experimenting with Lil'Gun, and have not had a problem.

For the average handgunner/hunter, you can produce all the usable power you need for game on this continent using faster burning powders like Bluedot. In my short barreled F.A. 83, 18 grains of Bluedot will push a 335 gr. Lyman 452651 out the muzzle at 1300 fps.

There is always the option of using heavy .45 Colt loads to avoid the small rifle primers. I personally don't practice that, but you can come very close to .454 factory ammo ballistics in that manner.

felix
12-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Very true. His early experiments used full loads with Unique-2400-Unique, a triplex scheme. He eventually used some concoction to stretch his cylinder holes on purpose, having the gun tied to a tractor tire for safety. If I remember correctly, the gun was entirely made of a common composition type of stainless which had only 5 cylinder holes. The stretch, after all said and done, amounted to about 0.001 at the pressure points. Bill Ruger obviously read the same stuff and was intrigued enough to make a 6 hole gun. In order to accomplish this feat, he had enough sense to obtain another cylinder metal which can do the job with like tire splitting loads as well as more sane loadings without any kind of permanent expansion. So, you can easily say the problem was "pressure" from what you have read. ... felix

bigdog454
12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I had the same problem with hangfires and squib loads, went to Winchester Small rifle primers and the problem disappeared. I don't know what primers you are using but I will no longer use ANY CCI or Federal SR primers in the 454.

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I dont like it for a differnt reason. I just cant see what it does that a good ruger 45 wont do with cast bullets. What more do i need then a 320 at 1200 and a ruger will easily do that. Now i do own one a fa 4 5/8s. Its an extreamly accuate gun as is my buddys whos is the same as mine but ported (Yuk) It will easily shoot one inch 25 yard groups and ive shot 3 inch 100 yard groups with it when my eyes work. One of the most accurate revolvers ive ever shot in my life was a ruger srh in 454. It would shoot loads it liked under an inch at a 100 yards with a scope and boys thats good for a bolt rifle!

As to it being finiky i dont agree. Mine and the ones ive shot did well with many loads. Ive got light medium and heavy loads that shoot great in mine. Just a matter of matching the powder to the application and keeping in mind when your doing it that its not a 44mag. Maybe years of 500s and 475s have helped me choose my loads right. What it is is very primer sensitive. Id bet that 3/4s of the accuacy problems people have with it are because there the type of loader that will only buy one primer and dont believe it makes a differnce to switch them. My first primer of choise in it is the ww and i try it first. the hands down worst primer in it and one thats not worth even trying is the cci bench rest primer. The absolute only time ive seen wild velocity swings and witnessed loads that felt differnt on each shot like you are was using cci primers and 110 or 296. Next time you give one a run leave that powder on the shelf and try some 1680 if you want something slow or if your looking for a little less velocity try some 2400. Id bet your tune would change. Another thing i dont understand is you are one that preaches std. primers with 296 something i have no luck with but cant get it to light off in a 454 with a small rifle primer which is much hotter then your fed std primers are. I know you never said in your post you were using it, i just took it for granted because you use it so much. I think 110/296 causes more problems with different guns when looking for accuracy then about anything. If you dont use max loads and hot primers it doesnt work and even when it works you can find a great load that drives nails and change that charge up or down by a 1/2 grain and it goes to hell. Many times ive loaded a bunch of it when i found a great load and went back a year later to load it again and either a change in lot numbers or just a minute change in my measure and i wonder how the heck i thought it was an accurate load. I used to swear by the stuff myself but i seldom use it anymore.

Me ill take a 475 or 500 hands down over a 454 but i surely cant make a blanket statement that there inaccurate or hard to load for.

FN in MT
12-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I've got a 6" FA M-83 in .454 with an auxilliary .45 Colt cylinder. I shoot far more Colts out of mine than I do Casulls. The Casull loads I did shoot were all 325 and 335 gr Cast with Rem 7 1/2 primers and Lil'Gun powder. And about 90% of those over my Oehler crono. I didn't notice any velocity swings, or differences in report or recoil. Many have suggested Lil ' Gun as THE powder for the Casull....maybe thats true.

I'm sure others here have far more experience than I with big game and cast slugs....but even a heavy .430" slug at a moderate velocity of 950 to 1050 fps shoots "through and through" on elk. And on deer one better be careful of any others behind the intended victim. I once did a very embarrasing "Two for One" shot with a .44 mag and a Keith slug.

With the .452" guns even a .45 Colt loaded to 950 or 1000 fps with the 325 or 335 gr LBT's is an amazing penetrator on big game. Thats why I shoot very few Casull loads out of my Freedom Arms. Unless the range is extended where the extra velocity helps flatten trajectory... I can't see the need for the full power Casull loads. Certainly not on close range deer and elk anyway.

Not posting this to argue with anyone...just wanted to finally ADD something around here other than asking questions.

FN in MT

44man
12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes guys I was using 296 and thought about trying a different powder but the gun is gone now. I was using WW primers.
The owner did not want to move down to .45 Colt loads so I didn't go that way.
No Lloyd, I will never change my opinion of std LP primers in the .44 or .45 and am willing to bet they would spark a .454 just fine although accuracy would be better with a LP mag primer or a LR. Yeah, I know rifle primers only in the .454 with top loads but that might be debatable too. My feeling is the accuracy point would be a lower load then max and a LP would hold fine.
I have shot .475 loads to the sticking point with LP mag primers and they don't even begin to flatten. Maybe less pressure then a .454 but you would think pushing a 460 gr boolit as fast as can be done would show a little sign on primers.
I have also had good accuracy in the .475 with fed 150 primers and 296 but the mag primer is more accurate. (Yes I did shoot a lot of them without a problem even with starting loads.)
I just do not think a SR primer has enough fire and cuts the versatility of the cartridge too much. Something that works with only one primer or a faster powder is too iffy.
I still think cut down .460 brass would work much better. I have not come up with a valid reason for the SR primer at all.
Why did they do that?

JFE
12-15-2008, 11:47 PM
My understanding is that the 454 was originally designed for LP primers but Casull found that primer pockets were expanding to easily. Casull then made packs of small steel rings available that were fitted in LP primer pockets in order to fit SR primers. Later cases were specifically made to fit SR primers. Fitting a SR primer results in a stronger case head and resists expansion under high pressure.

felix
12-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Now, that would make sense, but at the demise of better ignition. ... felix

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2008, 12:10 AM
I agree on the pressure thing. I think its an overkill but youve got to keep in mind that the first FA 454 loads were some extreamly high pressure loads some used duplex and triplex loads that were in my opinion about insane. I think if a guy kept in under 50000 youd never go lacking with a large pistol mag primer. What i have found though is that if the 454 needs to be run it needs heavy bullets. If you want 45 colt ballistics leave it at home and take a 45 colt. My light load is a 350 at 1400 fps out of a 4 5/8s gun. As to lil gun. I dont trust it. It gives wierd pressure signs and goes from mild to wild with a small increase in charge weight. It reminds me of blue dot in that respect. It also is very hard on forcing cones with top end loads and now FA wont even warantee a gun thats used it. The only thing i use lilgun for anymore is 32 mag 3220 and 50 beowulf loads in guns that have no forcing cone. It can be accurate and can produce amazing velocitys but its a more finiky powder to load for then even 110 is. Ive been playing some with 297 and it shows promise but still suffers from the same problems as 110. It needs to be run at top end velocitys or suffers from pour ignition. If i had to pick one powder to do it all in the 454 believe it or not it would be good old 2400. It can be down loaded accurately and can push a bullet as fast as needed on the top end for any game animal. Funny me defending the 454. A few years ago i would have been on your side but ive played enough with it to realize it aint a bad round if a guy runs it right. Like i said it will never replace my 475 or 500s but i doubt id ever part with it.

9.3X62AL
12-16-2008, 12:15 AM
No, it is not a pressure thing per your thinking, but instead an abrupt force thing in the 41 Mag case pushing the boolit out of the case before consistent ignition of the powder. The bigger 454 case needs a much wider flame front to ignite the powder more consistently. The BR remmie primer typically has the hottest flame temp and that is why it works in the 454, but it provides too much force for consistent ignition using light weight boolits. The objective here is to select normal primers for a normal job in each case configuration. ... felix

Felix--

That said, how does the 45 ACP do such good work with a shorter case and the same LP primer? Does the faster powder--in smaller amounts--in a smaller space ignite more readily/quickly and overcome the bullet push-out effect? 41 Mag bullets are roll-crimped, 45 ACP bullets go practically uncrimped. Help me out here, something isn't adding up.

FN in MT
12-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Lloyd.......Your absolutely right about 2400. I forgot to mention it as it did give me a few very accurate mid range loads. Then again so did 10 grs of Unique and a 270 gr Keith SWC.

FN in MT

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2008, 12:25 AM
As usuall FN im not much on the theroy stuff i just post on what ive experienced myself with my guns.

felix
12-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes, Al, absolutely correct. You always want ignition speed of be ahead of the push-out speed. Day to day accuracy requires it as a minimum spec for same. A taper crimp always has a better hold than a roll crimp on the boolit when everything is kosher in terms of fit. That is why 44man's elephant loads require visualizing the lube grooves after seating, and then have just enough crimp to maintain the same overall length on all rounds in the cylinder. In a lever gun, that amount of crimp won't be ever needed, but just enough to keep the boolit from going into the case instead of out of the case. I would prefer all crimp grooves to be square like folks like lube grooves. Also, that crimp groove would be square and shallow to mate to the factory crimp die when necessary for insane loads. ... felix

454PB
12-16-2008, 01:37 AM
To me, everything posted thus far is true. The .454 is a highbred, and not a good round for those that are not willing to put up with it's peculiarities. Though I have experimented with it extensively in my three revolvers and rifle, I certainly don't have all the answers. Like Lloyd, I only know what has and hasn't worked for me. As to forcing cone erosion, I have not seen it yet, nor any flame cutting of the top strap that I've seen in other high intensity revolver cartridges.

Lloyd, where did you get the information on the use of Lil'Gun voiding the warranty on Freedom Arms revolvers?

I know that using .45 Colt brass in their .454 cylinder voids the warranty, but I hadn't heard about the Lil'Gun.

shotman
12-16-2008, 04:11 AM
check the flash hole in the brass I found you need to drill them out on a win case

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2008, 08:38 AM
on another forum and if i remember it was right out of bob bakers post. If you conserned and really want to keep using it id give them a call and ask for yourself.
To me, everything posted thus far is true. The .454 is a highbred, and not a good round for those that are not willing to put up with it's peculiarities. Though I have experimented with it extensively in my three revolvers and rifle, I certainly don't have all the answers. Like Lloyd, I only know what has and hasn't worked for me. As to forcing cone erosion, I have not seen it yet, nor any flame cutting of the top strap that I've seen in other high intensity revolver cartridges.

Lloyd, where did you get the information on the use of Lil'Gun voiding the warranty on Freedom Arms revolvers?

I know that using .45 Colt brass in their .454 cylinder voids the warranty, but I hadn't heard about the Lil'Gun.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2008, 08:48 AM
in reality i find it no harder to load for then any other big round. If anything the 500 linebaugh with its huge case is even tougher to get to shoot with light loads. Im sure the smith 500 is even worse. Heck the 45 colt isnt any easier in my opinion. at least most of the 454 guns are dimentioned right to start with which cant be said of the 45 colt. None of these big cased round are going to be as user freindly as a 44 special. especially when you expect it to work on loads with pressures as light as 15000 and as heavy as 50000. There aint many rifle rounds that will do it without a bunch of extra work either.

44man
12-16-2008, 09:44 AM
I like the idea of 2400. Someday I will get the gun back after I cast another pile of boolits and will try it out.
I also have some once fired .460 brass to play with.
I was not looking for real hot loads, only the most accurate so I would have never reached 50,000# anyway. We just wanted to get more power then the .45 to make use of the case.
If the gun was mine I am sure that by following what many of you say, I could get it working.
My procedure is to start at the starting load and slowly work up until I get the tightest groups at which point a little more powder will start to open groups. Some boolits in my BFR's only get super accurate at the sticky case point and I have to give up some accuracy by backing down the charge. Other boolits show accuracy long before I reach a max load so that is where I quit.
If the powder will not give me accuracy at all, that is when I start to change things but so far 296 will do everything I want in the calibers it works in. Same as my 45-70 where 4759 is the absolute best.
It was a surprise that listed starting loads for the .454 (And even higher.) failed because of poor ignition.
In my opinion, those listed starting loads are more dangerous then full house loads and should be removed from the data.
If they found the LR primer pocket was expanding too quickly in the .454, why do they use it in the .460????? It only tells me they were pushing the cartridge to failure, way past common sense. I don't buy into that stuff! [smilie=b:
I don't care how fast a boolit is and I NEVER work loads with my chrongraph. I only use it after I find the perfect load and if velocity is lower, it is never increased as it is not needed.
The truth of the matter is that I am sure I could have found a super accurate load in the .454 with LP mag primers without reaching the point of failing primers, yet still utilize the case capacity over the .45. It is no different from the .475 over the .480 and should be treated the same way.
As far as Lil'Gun, I only tried it in the .357. After 12 rounds I could solder with the barrel, be a good way to start a fire if you get lost! :p That stuff is not going in any revolver I own. I don't care if it shoots one hole groups.

500bfrman
12-16-2008, 10:51 AM
In the 454 I used to have, but have no longer, I never had a problem with a hang fire. I never had a problem with it not wanting to fire. I never had a problem with erratic recoil. The recoil was always severe and always there. The pain was reliable. Lil gun was what I used most of the time, because that it what I heard to be best for it. It worked out well for me, while I had the gun. YMMV.

44man
12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
In the 454 I used to have, but have no longer, I never had a problem with a hang fire. I never had a problem with it not wanting to fire. I never had a problem with erratic recoil. The recoil was always severe and always there. The pain was reliable. Lil gun was what I used most of the time, because that it what I heard to be best for it. It worked out well for me, while I had the gun. YMMV.
I hear the same thing about 4227 in the .44. Guys love it but if enough experience is gained, they would find it is the worst powder to use in that caliber. Just going out and shooting a few rounds that shoot good is not a learning experience. A 5 round group will show great accuracy but go out and shoot 40 rounds on a hot day.

bigdog454
12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I too had found Lil gun powder to be erratic in the 454. like Lloyd, but I only tried it when it first came out and thought that maybe it was some of the stuff that had been recalled; I had used it up before I found out about the recall. My SRH 454 likes heavy bullets and 4227 powder, I'v had a hard time getting it to shoot 250 gr bullets, but when I start using 310 gr it settles down. 2400 powder shoots great both in my SRH 454, and my BH 45 Colt. If I could have only 1 powder I think that it would be 2400.

leftiye
12-16-2008, 07:41 PM
The .45 Colt case was always (until recently) too large when run at .45 Colt factory pressures. The newer 40,00 and upwards psi loads allow enough slow powder to be loaded for good burning. It may well be that making the case longer in the 454 Casull just pushed the older problem up into the higher pressure range. BTW, a 300 grain JHP with AA 1680 in the starting load (31 grains) is the most accurate thing I've ever seen in a pistol. 32 grains is much nastier, and begins to hurt my hands (woos).

doghawg
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I've only been tinkering with .454's for a couple of years and still have a lot to learn about this caliber but 2400 being lit by Win SR's is my first choice so far. I have little interest in wringing out the last fps out of heavy bullets anyway. For lighter loads with lighter bullets Win 231 has turned up excellent accuracy with surprisingly uniform velocity...again with Win small rifle primers.

Heavy lead
12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Here is my opinion on the 454, I have one a SRH that is accurate. I had another a Raging Bull that was as accurate if not more. I got rid of the raging bull because in was way heavier than I wanted a handgun to be and liked the weight of the SRH better. Here is my take on the 454, I'll probably keep my SRH as it's a good accurate gun, but I don't see the point of the 454, I think it is an unecessary round. Anything I can do with it, I can do with a 45 Colt in a Blackhawk, and I can get that in a Bisley model which I prefer anyway. If I want something more powerful IMO the 475 Linebaugh is a better cartridge with much less hassle. I much prefer my BFR 475 to my 454 SRH. If I had to do it over, I'd buy it in the 480, me thinks. What I really would like in a SBH Hunter Bisley 5 shot in a 475 or 480, I think that would blow the 454 SRH out of the water in both function and accuracy IMO.

500bfrman
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I hear the same thing about 4227 in the .44. Guys love it but if enough experience is gained, they would find it is the worst powder to use in that caliber. Just going out and shooting a few rounds that shoot good is not a learning experience. A 5 round group will show great accuracy but go out and shoot 40 rounds on a hot day.

I do not claim to have as much experience as you do in any many of shooting. But, I did shoot more than a five round group. I did shoot on hot days, cold days, etc. Again, no hang fires, nothing erratic. consistently punishing. but, whatever. to each his own. Just don't try and tell me what I did.

44man
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
I do not claim to have as much experience as you do in any many of shooting. But, I did shoot more than a five round group. I did shoot on hot days, cold days, etc. Again, no hang fires, nothing erratic. consistently punishing. but, whatever. to each his own. Just don't try and tell me what I did.
What happens with the 4227's in the .44 is an increase in velocity as the gun gets hotter and hotter. You will not notice a whole lot at close range but go shoot an IHMSA match with them. As you go from target to target you will hit lower on each one until you are in the dirt.
By the time I got to the last ram I had 16 more clicks on the rear sight then my first ram and still hit the ground 50 meters short.
Primers that looked normal with the first shot just got flatter and flatter as I went along.
I was using a moderate load of 23 gr's with the 240 gr bullet. I went down to 21 gr's with no change in what it was doing so I jumped to the same load everyone else was using, 25 gr's. It was worse and I could not finish the match.
Now knowing which guys were using 4227, I checked scores after each match. Most done well to get 10 hits.
Just changing to 296 allowed me to shoot a bunch of 39's and 40's, also Ohio state with 79 out of 80, production international class, RSB.
Ask me if 4227 will ever go in my .44!!!!!
It worked like a charm in the .357 Max, not showing any problems at all.
But like I said, shoot a few groups and it is accurate. Take it hunting and you will never know the difference. But put your .44 to work and you will use the rest for fertilizer.

BOOM BOOM
12-18-2008, 12:23 AM
HI ALL,
MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
I don't own a 454, But my friend Ted does, & it is one of the most accurate handguns out of the box he has ever owned, or that I have seen shot.
It just may be the gun not the 454, it is an impressive round.
I am happy with my 44, would love to have a 454 but am not rich enough to have more guns to play with. darn!!!:Fire:

motorcycle_dan
12-19-2008, 12:29 AM
New to me 454 Casull Super Redhawk. Happy with the ammo that came with it. Some WW JFN factory ammo should make quick work of a white tail this weekend.

Gun also came with some reloads. They list a 240 JHP with 35.5 gr of H110. They bark with quite a report and seem to recoil more. Plus don't group as well. I haven't shot it enough to confirm this but feel they were not on call as well.

I'm looking at purchasing a mold to cast for this revolver and begin reloading. Some questions.

1. Looking for suggestions on a pretty good cast bullet with gas check. The Lee is the only thing I've seen that makes sense.

2. Looking for powder suggestions. I normally use H110 in .44 and .500 S&W. From some other posts this may not be an ideal powder for the .454 Casull. What is a good powder for cast bullets from the high end of .45 colt to mid range 454 Casull.

3. I will be spending some quality time pushing pb across a chronograph with this Rooger. I'll share data with this list as I get it. Gotta be honest and say it will likely be warmer weather before I get around to it.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd Smale
12-19-2008, 09:26 AM
dan if your looking for an inexpensive mold buy yourself a rcbs 300swcgc its a great bullet. If you are willing to spend a tad more the ballistic cast 320 and 350 lfngc molds are great bullets. Ive got a buddys super redhawk here right now and that gun is scary accurate. The load it likes is the rcbs bullet cast out of 5050 ww/lino with 27 grains of h4227 and a ww primer. Its got a 2x leupold on it and ive personaly shot inch and a half 100 yard groups with it and have seen my buddy shoot groups under an inch. I hate to say it with all my high dollar custom six guns but this srh is the most accurate revolver ive ever shot and hes got a 480 srh that is dammed near as good. I think there uglier then sin but everytime i shoot one of his i get the itch to buy one.

44man
12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
dan if your looking for an inexpensive mold buy yourself a rcbs 300swcgc its a great bullet. If you are willing to spend a tad more the ballistic cast 320 and 350 lfngc molds are great bullets. Ive got a buddys super redhawk here right now and that gun is scary accurate. The load it likes is the rcbs bullet cast out of 5050 ww/lino with 27 grains of h4227 and a ww primer. Its got a 2x leupold on it and ive personaly shot inch and a half 100 yard groups with it and have seen my buddy shoot groups under an inch. I hate to say it with all my high dollar custom six guns but this srh is the most accurate revolver ive ever shot and hes got a 480 srh that is dammed near as good. I think there uglier then sin but everytime i shoot one of his i get the itch to buy one.
The only thing I know about 4227 is that it is very cartridge specific and your load looks very good. I use a lot of the powder but NOT in the .44. (It sucks in the 45-70 too with poor accuracy.) I lean away from it in the .45 Colt too but never worked it enough. I also don't know what Lil'Gun does in the large cases. It scared me off because of the heat.
I agree about the SRH 100%. The .44 I had would hold 1/2" groups at 50 yd's and I shot a lot of pop cans at 200 yd's. Sadly, I needed money and a friend talked me out of it. I think it is the most accurate gun Ruger ever made. I will forever miss it. In his hands, he shoots tight groups off hand at targets, even from a tree stand. But put a deer in front of him with his buck fever and all the trees are in danger! :bigsmyl2:

leadeye
12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
+1 on the RCBS 300g SWCGC. It is my all purpose high power boolit for 454 and 45lc. Works well in the NHR 45lc.

Lloyd Smale
12-19-2008, 08:30 PM
my buddys gunshop has had a 44 mag sitting there for about a year. It temps me everytime i go in there. I know its ugly but i also know without even shooting it that it would be a tack driver and someday soon these old eyes arent going to work with open sights. Ive got a couple contenders but i just cant get excited about them anymore
The only thing I know about 4227 is that it is very cartridge specific and your load looks very good. I use a lot of the powder but NOT in the .44. (It sucks in the 45-70 too with poor accuracy.) I lean away from it in the .45 Colt too but never worked it enough. I also don't know what Lil'Gun does in the large cases. It scared me off because of the heat.
I agree about the SRH 100%. The .44 I had would hold 1/2" groups at 50 yd's and I shot a lot of pop cans at 200 yd's. Sadly, I needed money and a friend talked me out of it. I think it is the most accurate gun Ruger ever made. I will forever miss it. In his hands, he shoots tight groups off hand at targets, even from a tree stand. But put a deer in front of him with his buck fever and all the trees are in danger! :bigsmyl2:

454PB
12-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Another mould I use and have had excellent results......Lyman 452651

Lloyd....what's ugly about this???

http://www.fumpr.com/images/6p14hlt2osqrr9r9fujk.jpg

unclebill
12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
you guys will laugh but i like this load for plinking.
a .454 plinker?
yep!
250-255 Grain Lead SWC .452 dia.
TrailBoss 6.7 gr. 862 fps Start
TrailBoss 9.0 gr. 1,011 fps MAX

p.s.
i have never had any of the problems with ignition you folks have mentioned.
they have always just shoot for me.

Lloyd Smale
12-20-2008, 06:46 AM
I guess its a matter of taste. I know alot of guys that drewl on them and think my bisley vaqueros are ugly.
Another mould I use and have had excellent results......Lyman 452651

Lloyd....what's ugly about this???

http://www.fumpr.com/images/6p14hlt2osqrr9r9fujk.jpg

44man
12-20-2008, 09:02 AM
A gun that shoots is NOT fugly! I have had some of the most beautiful guns brought here that need to be in a box to hit the sides! [smilie=l:
Look at my Marlin .44, nice little gun but I need to put a pipe wrench on the barrel and wind up the twist! :takinWiz:

Thumbcocker
12-20-2008, 12:00 PM
44 Man: FWIW I have had good luck with the 429244 sized .431 over 18.0 of 2400 in my Marlin. Lubed with gas check it's about 270 grns. Good 100 yard accuracy.

High Desert Hunter
12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
I had the 454 in a SRHK, and it was the most accurate handgun I have ever shot, I hardly ever shot it after moving to the lower 48, so I let it get away for a 1911. I have a few 45 Colts, and here they serve quite well, as does a 357 for general purposes, but now for accuracy I shoot my SBH in 44, which is scary accurate as well. MY 454 would shoot everything but really light stuff well.

Dave

freedom475
12-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I bought a FA 83 when they were the "New Best Thing" The pistol was awsome compared to the 44 or 45colt.

My 12inch gong at 300yrds was a sure hit off the bags

I never cared much for cast in it. It was made to be a screamer. Designed for 60,000+ pressure rounds and that is where she liked to run,. Mine came with a blue reloading info sheet from FA and most of these loads were way hotter than any data you can find today. All of the loads were for there Heavy jacketed bullets.

If you used the Extra heavy jacketed FA 260gr JSP . run them just over 2000 FPS with H110 and Rem BR primers the gun is capable of very long shots with very little hold over.

If I tried to use heavy cast or XTP's the gun would not shoot near as accutate and as soon as you got above heavy 45colt loads there was no telling where the next round was going....This was real apparent at 200 and 300 yrds.

For shooting high velocity with a hogleg the 454 is hard beat...if you want to shoot heavy boolist buy a 475L

LIL-Gun=is THE best powder.....In a 22 hornet.... Has no place in large bore handguns...This stuff can be quite scary and unpredictable.

44man
12-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I think you are correct about heavy jacketed loads being best. But the owner wanted some cast boolit loads. The problem is a lack of info and I never had time or enough components to keep working with it.
The cartridge just needs to be loaded hotter then I loaded it to.
I hope to get it back some day.

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
a jacketed bullet will never touch one of my big bores! thats sacreligous!! A 350 grain cast bullet at 1400-1500 fps will do more killing then any jacketed bullet out of one at any speed.

High Desert Hunter
12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Mine really liked 335gr cast bullets from the Bullshop, thanks Dan.

Dave

freedom475
12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
a jacketed bullet will never touch one of my big bores! thats sacreligous!! A 350 grain cast bullet at 1400-1500 fps will do more killing then any jacketed bullet out of one at any speed.

I knew posting the Jacket info was not going to go over well.[smilie=1: I didn't say it would kill better, it is just more accurate. Especially when the 454 is loaded like its designer intended...60,000+ is a lot of pressure.

Loyde, can you really get a 350gr. boolit to 1500fps out of a 454??? a FA ???

When I tried to do that with 335 LBT's It blew the cases in half...I ejected little 45acp length cases and the front portion left with the boolit.:mrgreen: Wasn't to long before I blew the ejector off and when I sent it back to FA they told me I had Stretched the barrel and was just a few PSI from stripping the barrel threads and blowing the barrel off :holysheep...this was scary stuff.

Before anyone questions this info, FA told me that this Is the failure point. On all guns that they intentionally broke, they blew the barrels off before the topstraps went.

The 454 was designed around Heavily Jacketed bullets of weights between 240 and 260 gr. and a working pressure of 60,000.

I agree with you Loyde, Fat Heavy boolits kill better....I now own a 475 and I run it at about 1250fps with 400wfn's and 430wln's boolits. The 454 is now long gone and probly won't be replaced.:castmine:

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2008, 11:24 AM
im sure it would. One of my working loads does 1400 from a 4 5/8s barrel with a 350 that casts out about 340 out of 5050 ww/lino. Problem is with recomending loads like this is that just switching to another brand of 350 lfn might change everything and every gun acts differntly and has a differnt level of pressure it will take. For an example my linebaugh built 475 would shoot a 400 behind 27 grains of 110. Bump that up a grain and it would lock up solid and you were beating brass out. my buddys will take 28 with the same bullet and the cases about fall out. One other thing you need to be careful with is powder selection. If you trying to push a heavy cast up to those speeds leave the faster powders on the bench. Once you approach 1300 its time to call 110/296 the fastest powder to use. Stay away from the finky ones like lilgun and only because 44man has told me hes had problems with it i would not tell anyone else to use 4227 although i have. Id also recomend a mag primer at these levels to insure your not going to get a hangfire although again i havent had the problem. It is possible you experinence secondary ignition. Bottom line is its something to play with but certainly not needed a 350 at 1200 will kill anything the same bullet will at 1500.

44man
12-22-2008, 11:25 AM
The more replies I get here has to make me stick to my guns! The case should have a large primer pocket! :Fire::Fire:
Why have a caliber that needs to be loaded to 60,000 psi for the primer to work? Super tight case tension and a crimp that cuts boolits in half does not make anything easy or useful. :(

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
i dont feel its all that detrimental but i too would prefer it if for no other reason then its a pain to have to swap a dillon to load them.

Harry O
12-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Very true. His early experiments used full loads with Unique-2400-Unique, a triplex scheme.
... felix

Actually, his Triplex loads were 2gr of Unique next to the primer, then 25 grains of 2400 in the middle, and 4gr of Bullseye under the bullet. It was all compressed when seating the bullet to keep it from shifting. He used a Large Rifle primer. The Unique was to iqnite the compressed 2400. The Bullseye was to give the bullet an extra "kick" before it left the barrel. He used a 235gr JSP which gave 2,101fps from his gun at an estimated 60,000psi.

454PB
12-23-2008, 12:04 AM
FWIW, when I bought my first .454, it came with a box of F.A. factory loads. These were loaded with a 300 gr. jacketed bullet. My F.A. has a 4 3/4" barrel.

These factory loads were fired across my Oehler chronograph, and 10 shots averaged 1472 fps.

Since then, I've loaded and fired many thousands of rounds, 99% of them my own cast boolits. The majority of those were either the Lyman 452651 (330 gr. GC) or the Lee 320 gr. GC. I've come to the conclusion that light boolits are not suitable with the slow burning powders. However, The heavy GC boolits work great with H-110, WW296, WC 820, and Lil'Gun. 1400 fps. is not hard to reach, even in the short barreled F.A.

I have seen many posts condemning Lil'Gun for use in the .454, but have had nothing but good results, superior performance to H-110 and WW 296, and no "pressure spikes" or barrel heating. With all normal disclaimers applying, I have found that my maximum charge weights of H-110 REDUCED by 1 grain for Lil'Gun will produce 75 fps. more velocity with identical apparent pressure and equal or better grouping. I do not recommend running any .454 at full throttle all the time, and I don't do it myself. However, my interest is in experimentation and learning the capabilities of the cartridge and guns. I finally lost some of my first F.A. brass to mouth splits, it had been fired 16 times.

I've posted here before that my favorite general use recipe uses Bluedot and either of these 320 to 330 gr. boolits at 1300 fps.

Your results may vary.

Whitworth
12-23-2008, 08:34 AM
If I can recall, the SAAMI spec on the .454 is 62k. I believe CorBon has some factory loads that go 70k. A 350 grain bullet at 1,500 doesn't seem like a stretch to me. Do you remember the onld Winchester 300 grain loads (they don't offer them any more) -- the ones with a semi-jacketed flat-point? 44man and I cronographed some of those last year out of my SRH .454 and they went 1,625 fps on average.

dk17hmr
12-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I personally like the Hammer Bullet. 325gr big flat nose at 1600fps or so...whats not to like. H110 works and I have used 2400 with success. IMR 4227 seemed to leave alot of powder in my barrel, I might revisit it though.

Heres my 454, with 2 groups I shot with WCHP's.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCF0022-2.jpg

44man
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I personally like the Hammer Bullet. 325gr big flat nose at 1600fps or so...whats not to like. H110 works and I have used 2400 with success. IMR 4227 seemed to leave alot of powder in my barrel, I might revisit it though.

Heres my 454, with 2 groups I shot with WCHP's.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCF0022-2.jpg
How far, Doug?

dk17hmr
12-23-2008, 07:35 PM
25 yards I guess.....I dont know why I would be showing that pic off at that close of range. Maybe because it was a new bullet I tried out.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29876&highlight=454

unclebill
12-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I had the same problem with hangfires and squib loads, went to Winchester Small rifle primers and the problem disappeared. I don't know what primers you are using but I will no longer use ANY CCI or Federal SR primers in the 454.

you guys have confused me(easy to do)
i have only loaded about maybe 700 .454 casull rounds.
and never had any of the problems you folks are talking about.
i have never HEARD of these problems with the .454 until i saw this thread.
i use CCI,WIN, and FED primers.

maybe i just havent loaded enough to run into these problems?

454PB
12-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Or maybe you did everything right! I had loaded many thousands of rounds before I had an actual squib and boolit stuck in the barrel. But, I had hangfires after only a few hundred rounds using 250 gr. jacketed bullets and AAC #9. I now stay away from the slow burning powders when using "light" boolits.

unclebill
12-24-2008, 08:47 PM
i keep using IMR4227 and i have tried a few with TRAILBOSS

XBT
12-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Like unclebill, I have never run into any problems with the .454. I haven’t experimented with it too much, but have tried several different primers. I am currently using a CCI small pistol magnum primer and enough 2400 to push a 255 grn. plain base boolit to 1500 FPS. A moderate load to be sure, but it does all I need.

targetshootr
12-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm going to sell my 6" FA whenever it comes back from Jack Huntington. It has an extra 45 colt cylinder with lots of extras but the older I get the more wussified I get.

unclebill
12-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Like unclebill, I have never run into any problems with the .454. I haven’t experimented with it too much, but have tried several different primers. I am currently using a CCI small pistol magnum primer and enough 2400 to push a 255 grn. plain base boolit to 1500 FPS. A moderate load to be sure, but it does all I need.

that must be it.
i dont experiment.
if it aint in one of my load books.
it dont happen.:-?

45r
12-25-2008, 03:01 AM
i SHOOT MOSTLY MIDLOADS WITH HS-6 AND GET RAGGED HOLE GROUPS.i USE REM AND FED PRIMERS AND NEVER A PROBLEM.NEVER A PROBLEM WITH 296 OR H-110 FOR HUNTING LOADS.MAYBE I GOT LUCKY BUT MY 454 SHOOTS MORE CONSISTANTLY WITH A WIDER RANGE OF LOADS THAN MOST OTHER REVOLVERS I'VE SHOT.MINE SHOOTS 2 INCH OR BETTER SOMETIMES AT 50 YARDS AND THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME FOR SOMETHING THAT KICKS HARD.mY 454 WOULD BE THE LAST REVOLVER i'D PART WITH.

44man
12-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I should have been more clear because I thought all of you knew what an accuracy nut I am. But first, the man wants to use the slow powders and to load on the heavier side.
Yes, I have gotten 4 shots in an inch at 50 yd's on occasion but mostly they average 2" to 3" but the big problem is that there are always those fliers, sometimes 1 sometimes 3 that I attribute to poor ignition.
Of course I could go to a faster powder and make it work, I just don't like the idea of limited versatility. I also worry about a slow powder in adverse weather conditions. I see what happens just getting down near a starting load listed as safe. By loading to max, ignition is more positive however it is still not shooting as it should.
I think my feelings about the small primer are valid. I have some .460 brass here and someday I will get the gun back to test them.
I have to cut one and measure the brass thickness.
Many of you say you have no problems but I also read about many that do. I would say it is split 50-50 and the jury can't reach a verdict.
I think the gun deserves some experimentation. I see no reason to load funny loads so primer pockets expand either. Brass should last forever.
I am not happy just because the gun goes BANG! [smilie=1:

Johnch
12-25-2008, 05:23 PM
After reading 44Man's ideas of using 460 brass shortened to 454 length

I was thinking I have 50 or so 454 odd ball cases
I might try reaming a few of those to take LR primers

And see if what the LR primer will in my Ruger SRH

I mainly load it for hunting
So the 3-4" 100 yd groups I normaly get are more that good enough
As 99% of the deer I shoot are 75 yds or less

Oh BTW 44Man
You said you shot in the Ohio IHMSA state shoot
When ?
Was it at Elmore CC a number of years back
If so we probely met , as I helped run the line and shot ( not real well , but normaly )

John

45r
12-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I'VE SHOT THE 255GC SAECO,250 RCBSFP,270SAA,300GC,AND A MTN MOLD315GC AND 305PB IN MY 454 AND HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO MAKE ANY OF THEM SHOOT BAD.MY 454 WAS MADE IN 1978 AND STILL HAS NO LOOSENESS WHATSOEVER.i WOULD USE 2400 OR VIT N-110 INSTEAD OF 296 IF I WAS WORRIED ABOUT IGNITION PROBLEMS.i NECK SIZE,USE A REDDING PROFILE CRIMPER AND A SINCLAIR PRIMER POCKET UNIFORMER AND TRIM TO EXACT LENGTH.i DIDN'T HAVE THE TRIGGER WORKED ON SINCE IT USES RIFLE PRIMERS AND MAYBE YOU NEED A HEAVIER SPRING ON THE 454 YOUR USING.i'M A ACCURACY SHOOTER ALSO AND THE LINE BORING ON THE F/A GUNS HAS ME WANTING ANOTHER SOME DAY BUT i DON'T THINK i'D FIND ONE ANYMORE ACCURATE THAN MY 454 AND THE MID-LOADS ARE EASY TO HANDLE AND 45 CAST BOOLITS ARE THE WAY TO GO IMHO.i WOULDN'T GIVE UP ON THE 454,YOUR A FINE SHOT AND YOU'LL GET IT SHOOTING WELL EVENTUALLY AND THE 454 WILL DO ANYTHING FROM MILD TO WILD.EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET HAS BEEN HARVESTED WITH ONE.i LIKE RUGERS AND S&W'S ALSO BUT THEY WILL SHOOT LOOSE BEFORE A F/A WILL.

waksupi
12-25-2008, 07:54 PM
45r, please turn off the caps.

44man
12-25-2008, 08:32 PM
After reading 44Man's ideas of using 460 brass shortened to 454 length

I was thinking I have 50 or so 454 odd ball cases
I might try reaming a few of those to take LR primers

And see if what the LR primer will in my Ruger SRH

I mainly load it for hunting
So the 3-4" 100 yd groups I normaly get are more that good enough
As 99% of the deer I shoot are 75 yds or less

Oh BTW 44Man
You said you shot in the Ohio IHMSA state shoot
When ?
Was it at Elmore CC a number of years back
If so we probely met , as I helped run the line and shot ( not real well , but normaly )

John
I shot Ozark, Youngstown, Lima, Bellfontaine, Quantico, piedmont and Jackson center. I think my last shoot was about 1992. I loved it until I moved here and travel was getting too much plus costs kept rising.
I don't know where Elmore is!

45r
12-25-2008, 09:27 PM
sorry about the caps,i'm not to good with computers sometimes.

Johnch
12-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Elmore is just outside Toledo by 20 miles

I also shot Lima, Bellfontaine and quit about the same time
SO we might have crossed paths

John

44man
12-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I am sure we did John. I went to about every shoot. I used to hate the drive from North Ridgeville though.
The shoots I liked best was when they had something on a Saturday. The Amish would have yard sales on the trip home with some of the best baked goods you ever seen. DEEEEP dish fruit pies, etc. Then we would stop at their cheese factories to buy huge chunks to go with the bread. We lived high on the hog back then! :drinks:

unclebill
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I should have been more clear because I thought all of you knew what an accuracy nut I am. But first, the man wants to use the slow powders and to load on the heavier side.
Yes, I have gotten 4 shots in an inch at 50 yd's on occasion but mostly they average 2" to 3" but the big problem is that there are always those fliers, sometimes 1 sometimes 3 that I attribute to poor ignition.
Of course I could go to a faster powder and make it work, I just don't like the idea of limited versatility. I also worry about a slow powder in adverse weather conditions. I see what happens just getting down near a starting load listed as safe. By loading to max, ignition is more positive however it is still not shooting as it should.
I think my feelings about the small primer are valid. I have some .460 brass here and someday I will get the gun back to test them.
I have to cut one and measure the brass thickness.
Many of you say you have no problems but I also read about many that do. I would say it is split 50-50 and the jury can't reach a verdict.
I think the gun deserves some experimentation. I see no reason to load funny loads so primer pockets expand either. Brass should last forever.
I am not happy just because the gun goes BANG! [smilie=1:

I am not happy just because the gun goes BANG!

it sounds like with at least a few of your experimental loads they DONT just go BANG!:mrgreen:

and that is the problem!!

bearcove
01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Have you tried seating bullets for light loads deeper to reduce case volume. Like a 38 wadcutter reduces vol. If you seat lighter bullets at a normal coal you make the problem worse.

Heavy lead
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I have a 454 and have had another. Frankley I think it is a typical example of an answer to a non existant problem. In reality I would be happy if the 454 I have now and the previous one had been just chambered for the 45, nothing can be done with the 454 that can't be with the 45 in the correct revolver IMO. If I really want a boomer, I much prefer my 475, and in reality I'm suprised it is not more popular. I wish Ruger would have chambered the Linebaugh instead of the 480 and offered it in a 5 shot regular redhawk and bisley blackhawk instead. I think they missed the boat on it myself. As far as that goes imagine a shortened x frame 5 shot in the 475, I'd buy one tomorrow.

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I share your opinon in that to me the 454 isnt much of a step over a 45 colt in a large framed ruger. For the increased muzzle blast and recoil you get in improving on the 45 colt the actuall killing power of your load doesnt increase much. As to ruger making a mistake i dont quite agree. The 480 is an excellent round. To me its a step up from a 454 and does it with the recoil and muzzle blast of a stout 45 colt load. It can easily push a 400 to 1100-1200 fps and thats where i run my 475s at anyway. It would be much simpler for ruger to make a single action 480 as they could use the same cyl. blanks they use for everything else and the frame wouldnt need to be opened up for the longer cyl. of a 475. This would not only be easier on ruger but would make the gun lighter to boot. Id come running if ruger would make me a 4 5/8s bisley vaquero in 480!!
I have a 454 and have had another. Frankley I think it is a typical example of an answer to a non existant problem. In reality I would be happy if the 454 I have now and the previous one had been just chambered for the 45, nothing can be done with the 454 that can't be with the 45 in the correct revolver IMO. If I really want a boomer, I much prefer my 475, and in reality I'm suprised it is not more popular. I wish Ruger would have chambered the Linebaugh instead of the 480 and offered it in a 5 shot regular redhawk and bisley blackhawk instead. I think they missed the boat on it myself. As far as that goes imagine a shortened x frame 5 shot in the 475, I'd buy one tomorrow.

44man
01-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I have to agree Lloyd, the .480 is all you need. It is a great caliber. However, I think the Vaquero and SBH would need a major design change to increase the cylinder diameter.
I bought the .475 BFR and will never look back, it is my favorite oversize Ruger! :mrgreen: It is scary accurate and drops deer like they were struck by lighting. I shot .480's out of it and although pleasant, accuracy sucked with my twist rate. The SRH is proper for the .480.
I agree that the SRH could have been a .475, 5 shot, but would also need a twist change although a converted, .480 to .475, still shoots good but has a boolit weight limit for top accuracy.
Accuracy in the BFR just starts with 400 gr boolits but the SRH tops out at about 420 gr.
My opinion is that both calibers have a place in the gun safe. I love them both.
The easy solution if you want a .475 is to buy the BFR. No custom work needed to be able to shoot beer cans at 200 yd's from the bench. Ditto with the SRH .480.
I just don't want to compare them, that is wrong, they are both great calibers in their own right. :Fire:

500bfrman
01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I have to agree Lloyd,

your opinion is noted.

454PB
01-10-2009, 12:39 AM
You have to remember that Dick Casull was experimenting with a beefed up .45 Colt while Elmer Keith was pushing everyone to come out with what turned out to be the .44 magnum. There was no .475, 480, 460 or 500 S&W. Back in those days, his original design produced 50% more energy than the .44 magnum. The question is, was it needed?

My other passion is motorcycles, and I wonder why anyone would want a Hayabusa.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2009, 09:26 AM
yup. If not a guy could ask why rifle development didnt stop with the 3030.

Heavy lead
01-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I would most certainly be happy with a single action Ruger in the 480, I don't necessarily have any beef with this cartridge at all, I just think it might not have been as successful as the 475 could have been, everything now has to be big to sell. Heck the 454 looks like a creampuff to the 460. The 460 is just something that I do not want. If I'm running that kind of pressure I want a closed breech weapon, but that's me. One thing I'm not fond of with the 454 either. I have the BFR in the 475 as well, and would buy another in a heartbeat. I'm probably going to buy another and have someone shorten the barrel to 5.5" as mine (in 7.5") is scoped. It is a great cartridge. I guess my point is and was not to dis the 480, cause I'm sure it is fine being it's just a hair shorter. I just don't think it was a good marketable idea for Ruger. Kinda like the 284 Winchester(one of my favorites) a great idea, just not a market success.

trappst
01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Noob here but this thread caugth my attention. Keep in mind I'm just getting started with casting (why I joined) but I've been shooting my Ruger SRH 454 for a couple years now.

I have not seen any of the ignition issues that have been described. I have used Rem. 7.5 BR and Fed GM205M primers although the Rem. usually provides better velocity spreads.

My hunting load (deer) is a Hornady 300g XTP/Mag (sorry, casting setup isn't ready yet) with 25.5g 2400 in starline brass and a Rem 7.5 BR primer. This load gives me 1480fps and is fairly easy to control......especially when 20+ feet up in a tree stand!!!! I also found an accurate load at about 27.5g but it's a handfull and I didn't see the need for the extra ooomph for whitetails.

I just loaded some 265g CPB WFNGC bullets on top of Trail Boss a couple nights ago. If the weather ever improves, I'll let you know how that goes.

I've got a fairly large supply of WW's and range bullets that were free so it's time to get away from the jacketed stuff!! :mrgreen:

unclebill
01-11-2009, 11:31 PM
i love that trailboss.
i load .454 also

Heavy lead
01-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Welcome trappst, I have a SRH as well and have not experienced ignition problems, but always used WSR's with 296, I am going to try some 2400, I'm thinking this might be a great powder for it.

marsofold
02-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I bought a 454 SRH so that I'd have a double action 45 revolver with the maximum safety margin of pressure tolerance. My loads are for 255-grain SWC bullets over either 9.5 grains of Trail Boss for 1100fps plinking or with the same bullet over 27.3 grains of Accurate 5744 for 1400fps hunting. Both well crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. The loads were deliberately picked for a volume of 2.05cc, almost filling the case so that double charging would be impossible. The 5744 leaves a little bit of unburned powder behind in the barrel, but otherwise is fine. Although other powders could push the bullet faster, I prefer moderate pressure loads that fill the case and stay under 1400fps to avoid using gas checks. And the gun has a one-ragged-hole ghost ring rear sight to accommodate my aging eyes.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Hullo, Good subject, informative, I have been shooting my F.A. 454 since 1994 I think I have tried a lot of powder/primer combo's . I have setteled on a 320 cast boolit & 2400 with rem sr primer in the casull cases & 320/blue dot/ 45 colt cases
with large pistol primers ww.

I worked my way through the flash bang powders..h110, 296 etc. got tired of the fireballs with the 45/8 bbl on my pistol.

I mostly use the 45 colt cases these days, as I can get all the fps & recoil i need from them.

I have never noticed the problems that some have had..luckey I guess, but I don't shoot lite boolits in this gun nor lite loads.

I think the small primer pocket is bs also, main reason I have gone to the 45 colt cases, I like the idea of the cut down 460 case, but it probably cost a lot more than just using good 45 colt brass
Thanks for sharing..

targetshootr
02-21-2009, 11:42 PM
If I remember correctly, FA says using 45 colt in a 454 cylinder can create a serious pressure spike when you go back to shooting 454.

44man
02-22-2009, 12:22 AM
If I remember correctly, FA says using 45 colt in a 454 cylinder can create a serious pressure spike when you go back to shooting 454.
Not if you clean the chambers! [smilie=1:

dubber123
02-22-2009, 12:31 AM

And I bet it's sold alot of extra $300 .45 Colt cylinders for F/A...