PDA

View Full Version : Die adjustment comparator measuring tool.

Bazoo
12-19-2020, 06:48 PM
I have occasion when I adjust my lock ring to move the die up and down to adjust for the same bullet and crimp to different case lengths. Example, 44 magnum trimmed to 2.275 or Hornady cases trimmed to 2.255. Another example would be if I use my dies in several different presses.

So I thought, If I had a tool similar to a case shoulder comparator, that would index on the lock ring I could measure and reset the die quickly and repeatably.

So compounding on this idea, what then would work well for such a task? It would need to be a cylinder I suppose, maybe a piece of PVC pipe with 7/8" inside diameter. It would need to have the ends parallel. Maybe a category conversion pull bar adapter for a tractor? I aint got one to measure.

Anyone have other ideas or do something similar? Know of anything ready made that would be perfect?

1hole
12-19-2020, 09:34 PM
Your idea could work but you're just trying to work around varying case lengths; you could do it but that's kinda clumsy and slow. I think you would love a case trimmer; Lee's trimmers are fast, they work quite well and they don't cost much.

NikA
12-19-2020, 10:05 PM
If I'm understanding correctly what you want, shim stock cut with a round punch set should work. I've made thicker ones akin to the spacers included in RCBS .38/.357 and .44S/M sets out of large washers cut down then precision sanded to the correct thicknesses, but for 20 thousandths I would look at precision shim stock and the correct size punches.

Bazoo
12-19-2020, 10:12 PM
I have a lyman universal trimmer as well as their EZEE trim, which is nearly identical to the lee trimmers. I mentioned I use 44 mag brass in both standard length and hornadys short length, both trimmed.

I also use the same set of dies across a couple presses, with ideas to get a couple other presses. I'm trying to work around the trial and error method of setting my belling die and seat/crimp die when changing either brass lengths or presses.