PDA

View Full Version : BP Loads For The Mdl. 1892?

Good Cheer
12-19-2020, 09:55 AM
Anyone here using black powder loads in their French Model 1892?
Over powder cards?
Lube wads?

Mk42gunner
12-19-2020, 08:55 PM
The few BP loaded handgun rounds I've loaded, I never messed with an over powder wad rifles yes, but not handguns.

Use a good BP lube, a soft boolit, and fill the case. Worked for me.

Robert

Battis
12-20-2020, 12:33 AM
I've used Unique and Bullseye in my French 1892, but BP is next. I use BP in my 1893 Reichrevolver without cards or lube wads (beeswax and paraffin lube).

Good Cheer
12-20-2020, 08:23 AM
The one mold in hand, it has one small lube groove, the reason for considering a lube wad even in such a small case. One thin piece of felt dipped in melted lube? Or just a tiny pill of lube on top of a wax paper disk? Don't know for now.

http://i.imgur.com/M9adKNL.jpg (https://imgur.com/M9adKNL)

Battis
12-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Years ago, I started lubing my BP guns - long and short - in an unusual manner. I spray PAM down the barrel (or a cheaper store version). It's not for everyone but it works well for me. The problem is that you must completely clean the gun after shooting or the PAM might get sticky. It works very well on the cylinder pins/arbors of my Colt Paterson and Remington .44 (neither has a grease groove in the arbor). Again, it's not for everyone.

bedbugbilly
12-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Good Cheer - I don't have the pistol nor load the cartridge but looking at your photo of the boolits/cartridges - I would experiment and see what works best. There's not much of a lube groove but you might try finger lubing the groove and when you seat the boolit, the casing will scrape off the excess and then you can just wipe it off. I usually use that method for my 38s and 45s that I load with BP. The seating die will get a little lubed up but that's easy enough to clean up.

I would think that your lubed thin felt wad added to the finger lubed groove might add enough too if the finger lubing was sufficient. I'm guessing those boolits are not huge so I wonder how it would work if you used a thin pre-lube soaked felt wad and then put just a small piece of lube in the middle of it and used that to stick the felt wad to the bottom fo the plain based boolit before seating the boolit?

It will probably be a case of trial and error. I'm kind of working with the same thing with a heeled boolit in a 38 Colt Long right now for use in a conversion cylinder on a .36 cal. '58 Remington. The mold I have casts a nice 150 grain RN boolit with a single lube groove (exposed when loaded as it is "outside lubed") but I question if the amount of lube issuing to be sufficient to keep the fouling soft over repeated firings. If it isn't, my thought was the same as yours about using a felt wad soaked in melted lube to put under the boolit and over the BP.

Keep posting please as I'd love to know what you come up with that works the best for what you are doing.

Jim

Mk42gunner
12-20-2020, 07:53 PM
At a wild guess, the 8mm French Ordnance of whatever its proper name is won't hold more than 12 or 15 grains of FFFg. I think just lubing the groove may be enough, with a good soft BP lube.

Its not like you are trying to keep the fouling soft from 70 or 80 grains of powder in a rifle.

Robert