PDA

View Full Version : Well I've never seen that before..

jonk
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Shot the 1891 Argentine over the weekend, with jacketed bullets. (Gasp)- have to because of a rough bore. Though I have been slowly improving in my paper patching efforts and some day they may do well in it... Still she shoots pretty well though.

Norma brass. Gun headspaces well. Incipent case head seperation obvious, with one even cracked.

Dies adjusted to touch the shellholder as I use this brass in 4 guns.

So I got to thinking... I don't keep track of how much brass has been used, I use it until it is defective in some manner, unless I'm shooting it in a match gun. But thinking about it... I got this stuff USED in 2001, fired ?X when I bought it. I've probably shot it 4-5 times a year for the past 7 years...

Gee you think 28-35 + times fired brass should be a little suspect? :) That's some good brass!

Buckshot
12-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Shot the 1891 Argentine over the weekend, with jacketed bullets. (Gasp)- have to because of a rough bore. Though I have been slowly improving in my paper patching efforts and some day they may do well in it... Still she shoots pretty well though.

Norma brass. Gun headspaces well. Incipent case head seperation obvious, with one even cracked.

So I got to thinking... I don't keep track of how much brass has been used, I use it until it is defective in some manner, unless I'm shooting it in a match gun. But thinking about it... I got this stuff USED in 2001, fired ?X when I bought it. I've probably shot it 4-5 times a year for the past 7 years...

Gee you think 28-35 + times fired brass should be a little suspect? :) That's some good brass!

...............Especially of fired all those times in various rifles back and forth :-) I've got a bunch of LC45 brass with some boxes having over 30 firings. But they HAVE been annealed, normally neck sized only, and shot strictly with cast loads. Still not bad!

................Buckshot

EMC45
12-16-2008, 06:15 AM
I too fire until some type of failure shows itself.

Calamity Jake
12-16-2008, 09:51 AM
With the execption of pistol brass, all other brass is dedicated to one gun only.

jonk
12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
With the execption of pistol brass, all other brass is dedicated to one gun only.

Yes, I've been slowly heading that way myself. For 30-06, no problem. Or other common calibers. But for some of the more obscure ones that would require ordering more brass, or more intensive work in forming brass, I haven't quite gotten there yet. :)

mike in co
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=jonk;448004]

QUOTE]

this lead to early death of your brass.... size for one gun. anneal and it lasts a long time.

this method over works the brass, leads to early death.

get containers with diff colors and/or big labels........size and sort by the gun.

i have 45acp form 1917/1918 sill in use...but it aint rifle brass....

mike in co

jonk
12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I have some rifle brass from the early 1900s that I still use with light loads.

For some calibers I have Lee collet neck dies. For others I only size the neck to the base, and nothing beyond that. (Leave sizer out a few turns).

Again, for the argentine the issue is brass. I've got some Norma, that I got when that was all that was available. I've made a fair amount from 8X57 and 30-06 brass, but that usually requires neck turning. Which is very slow. Yes, I could get some GRAFS or PRVI but I'm a cheap bugger and buying that when the 06 works is not something I will do quickly. I ususally shoot 30 rounds per trip per caliber, so that would be 120 rounds of Argentine brass... meaning I'd have to make another 60 (I have 60 now).

Oh I'll get there, but too many other projects to have fun with for now. :)

bcp477
12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
I also use my brass until failure (or until some major defect appears). I do not segregate my brass based on age, no. of firings, etc, either. I have a lot of cases that have at least 20 firings as of now. I do anneal my cases, but not more often than maybe every 8 to 10 firings. I think that the major issues here are simply the loads used and the chamber in which they are fired. Obviously, lighter loads in a tight chamber will produce longer brass life - no revelation there.

Crash_Corrigan
12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I have thousands of .38 Special brass. I have had the cases with split necks and loose primer pockets whcih I cull out and mash with a pair of pliers as health is more iportant than getting one more firing out of a piece of brass.

I also have thousands of .45 ACP brass which I regularly exercise. I have never seen a split .45 ACP casing. Loosened primer pockets where the primer almost falls out are common on older cases. These get pinched and tossed when detected.

The same is true with 9 MM brass and I shoot a lot of it.

I tend to keep velocity down along with recoil and this leads to longer case life. Rifle brass is also treated with reverance and the rounds are loaded not to stress the casing nor the shooter.

I have a cutom built Mauser actioned Sweede which will probably never have a J Word bullet thrown down the barrel as long as I have it.

Anybody got a good load with Unique and a ww cast 120 gr spire pointy boolit?

No gas check, it came naked which is ok with me!

leadman
12-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Jonk, I have been using Remington 270 Win. brass to form brass for my 2 1891s. Don't have to neck turn these. I haven't tried military cases, they might be thicker.
What are you using to form your cases from?

jonk
12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Mostly military 30-06. Mix of LC and greek stuff. A few old F A cases from the 50s.