PDA

View Full Version : Does this look weird to you?

rjz5400
12-18-2020, 07:33 PM
I had my concerns when I smelted this batch. It seemed like I was getting some weird looking ingots especially if I tried to pop the out of the mold hot.

I heat my batch slowly and I sort every single WW that goes into the pot.

Did I miss one/some? This is today's work, I like to fill my pot and let it cool so next time the melt is faster. See pics.

I cast today some 124 lee tc bullets, they usually end up at 126gr after pc

I got very good fill out, maybe 10 total throw away bullets out of 2500. They were mostly from pouring errors and not filled bases.

Well it seems I can't upload the pic of the pot, it has crystals in it and a weird texture on the coolest surface. I'll try to take another

Dusty Bannister
12-18-2020, 08:54 PM
If the alloy is a little too hot when pouring ingots, they might look frosty or perhaps even a little sort of galvanized on the surface. I do see a few dribbles down the side of a bullet, and a air bubble in the base of one bullet. Which are casting errors as you mentioned. If the ingot was still a little mushy and still hot, it might take on a rough finish instead of producing the same smooth surface as it would in full contact with the mold.

"Does this look weird to you?" Not a very clear question and certainly not very specific about what you think is unusual.

What are the castings weight range, and are they of similar diameter compared to other casting sessions. That could be a clue what to specifically look for.

243winxb
12-18-2020, 10:47 PM
I would guess a high percent of antimony? Bullets lighter & larger in diameter then other alloys.

rjz5400
12-18-2020, 10:50 PM
These ingots were a couple brinels harder than the rest of my lead, based on the pencil lead test, more hb than b

Once cooled and dry I can weight and measure them a bit but I didn't separate the odd ingots from the rest long ago.

It's this crystal and flaky texture that makes me suspicious. This is the biggest photo I could upload of the cooled lee pot after my casting

Stephen Cohen
12-19-2020, 06:36 AM
Looks a bit like like some alloy I had at one time and I had to flux the living daylights out of it, mine was contaminated with some form of garbage and kept bringing this sooty grey metal to surface which I believe was Zinc or maybe antimony. I scooped it all out and it cast quiet well for shotgun slugs. Regards Stephen

Teddy (punchie)
12-19-2020, 08:40 AM
I had what I'll call cottage cheese (small type) on top Not knowing what it was, this was taking off and remelted when going back over dross; its was melted at high temp. Hardness was maybe a little higher, but bent and acted like good range lead. Was not zinc like I thought. Still it gets set aside so I can use it or just make fishing weights out of it.

rjz5400
12-19-2020, 06:26 PM
well i got some interesting things to think about including a PM about trying some acid on the lead cast bullets to see if it reacts, showing zinc?

it was very cool here so that bottom pour pot probably cooled very quickly as it is around 30 here and breezy. the molds filled out well with very little defects and after they have cooled measure fairly consistent at 356 357 and weigh on track at 124 125gr.

I will try to clean them even more next time but I have been pretty regularly fluxing my casting pot, even though my ingots are pretty well clean to start

Thanks for the thoughts!! and if i do acid test ill update.

bangerjim
12-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Up to 5% Zn will not ruin boolits - - - - per my extensive experimentation over time! ONE zinker does not "ruin the whole batch" as some fear and bemoan on here!!!!!

Add some Sn (2% is what I ALWAYS use) if you cannot get your alloy to behave the way you want it to. Raise the temp 1st....that many times cures a myriad of problems.....before adding the Sn. You may not need the increase of expensive Sn to your mix.

If you got a bit-o-zinc in there, do not fret about it! The above points will solve 90% of you Zn contamination problems. I have done it in the past with excellent results.

banger :guntootsmiley:

Stephen Cohen
12-19-2020, 07:51 PM
Up to 5% Zn will not ruin boolits - - - - per my extensive experimentation over time! ONE zinker does not "ruin the whole batch" as some fear and bemoan on here!!!!!

Add some Sn (2% is what I ALWAYS use) if you cannot get your alloy to behave the way you want it to. Raise the temp 1st....that many times cures a myriad of problems.....before adding the Sn. You may not need the increase of expensive Sn to your mix.

If you got a bit-o-zinc in there, do not fret about it! The above points will solve 90% of you Zn contamination problems. I have done it in the past with excellent results.

I have known many who used a little zinc to harden the alloy as it is cheaper than tin. Regards Stephen

bangerjim
12-20-2020, 04:50 PM
I have known many who used a little zinc to harden the alloy as it is cheaper than tin. Regards Stephen

Intentionally adding Zn is somewhat akin to adding Sb to harden your mix. Sn lowers the surface tension and makes the alloy flow into nooks and crannies easier, hence why it was abundant in linotype. It takes a LOT of Sn to add the equivalent hardness increase as Sb does. There is a chart somewhere, but I cannot find it right now. Sb (in a pre-mixed alloy!) is the best way to add hardness.

Remember, Zn will lighten your boolit weight just a bit, so a possible powder load adjustment may need to be addressed. And probably a higher casting temp. :cbpour: