PDA

View Full Version : Leupold disappointment

sghart3578
12-18-2020, 01:40 PM
I was recently looking for a low power scope for my lever gun. In the past I have always had good luck with Leupolds. I have an old Vari-Xll on my model 70 that has been worked pretty hard but still works.

I saw the new Freedom line and bought a 1.5-4X variable. I will skip to the end. It refuses to hold zero. The knobs are mushy also. I burnt up a lot of ammo in frustration.

I dug out an old Weaver K2.5 and the rifle is back to shooting 1.5-2 MOA all day long. I should have just put the Weaver on from the start but I wanted a 4 power. Even if Leupold repairs it I won't have any confidence in it.

I can't recommend the Freedom line from Leupold.

Steve in N CA

M-Tecs
12-18-2020, 02:08 PM
Call Leupold with the serial number under the turrets. Lots of Chinese fakes in circulation.

https://www.leupold.com/service-support/resources/counterfeit-warning

zarrinvz24
12-18-2020, 02:42 PM
You could probably pickup a gently used K4 for less than what you paid for the new Leupold. I know I'm in the minority on this, but the old scopes with all steel internals are IMO vastly superior to the junk that is sold today. To get something in the same quality ballpark as the older scopes you are going to need to spend a significant amount of money.

bmortell
12-18-2020, 02:55 PM
i have a freedom line in 3x9 the knobs do feel mushy but it works and gives a clear image. other than the mush im happy for the money

Petrol & Powder
12-18-2020, 03:03 PM
Call Leupold with the serial number under the turrets. Lots of Chinese fakes in circulation.

https://www.leupold.com/service-support/resources/counterfeit-warning

/\ YEP
My thoughts exactly.

If it's a real Leupold, they will make it right. If it's a fake (very possible) you're out of luck.

Leupold's reputation is being tarnished by counterfeit products.

sghart3578
12-18-2020, 08:01 PM
You guys are all correct of course. And I will check and make sure that the scope is not a counterfeit.

"You could probably pickup a gently used K4 for less than what you paid for the new Leupold. I know I'm in the minority on this, but the old scopes with all steel internals are IMO vastly superior to the junk that is sold today. To get something in the same quality ballpark as the older scopes you are going to need to spend a significant amount of money. "

That is true and I have already started looking for one.

I had an older Bushnell Banner 4X (Korean made) mounted on another rifle. I took that off last night and zeroed it this morning on my lever gun. It is very nice but I am partial to the Weavers.

"If it's a real Leupold, they will make it right. If it's a fake (very possible) you're out of luck.

Leupold's reputation is being tarnished by counterfeit products."

Do you guys know if Leupold will refund my money? I bought it from Amazon so maybe they will give me my money back.

Thanks for your time fellas, you guys are always there for me. I appreciate it.

Steve in N CA

MrWolf
12-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Amazon should if you can prove to them it is a fake. They would not appreciate comments that they are selling fake products.

besk
12-18-2020, 08:44 PM
I bought a fake one by mistake. Not having used or kept up with scopes for many years, I purchased it at a good price that was attractive.. Then realized that it couldn't possibly be genuine. It is in a box on a shelf. I am using an old Weaver 2.5 instead.

zarrinvz24
12-18-2020, 09:14 PM
You may need to file an A-Z guarantee if this was not sold and shipped by Amazon, but on the stuff they sell it’s normally pretty easy to send back for a refund. This time of year they offer really long return windows for the holidays as well. A word of caution for the future, Amazon frequently is what’s called a ‘gray market’ seller, and many companies that are known for their warranties refuse to honor it for products sold by Amazon.

megasupermagnum
12-18-2020, 09:18 PM
You guys are all correct of course. And I will check and make sure that the scope is not a counterfeit.

"You could probably pickup a gently used K4 for less than what you paid for the new Leupold. I know I'm in the minority on this, but the old scopes with all steel internals are IMO vastly superior to the junk that is sold today. To get something in the same quality ballpark as the older scopes you are going to need to spend a significant amount of money. "

That is true and I have already started looking for one.

I had an older Bushnell Banner 4X (Korean made) mounted on another rifle. I took that off last night and zeroed it this morning on my lever gun. It is very nice but I am partial to the Weavers.

"If it's a real Leupold, they will make it right. If it's a fake (very possible) you're out of luck.

Leupold's reputation is being tarnished by counterfeit products."

Do you guys know if Leupold will refund my money? I bought it from Amazon so maybe they will give me my money back.

Thanks for your time fellas, you guys are always there for me. I appreciate it.

Steve in N CA

You are certainly the minority. Scopes today are phenomenal. I'd take today's Tasco over a vintage Weaver every time. The glass is clearer, they hold up better, the adjustments are more user friendly, they are actually water proof. If you bought your scope on Amazon, I'm almost certain they will refund your money. It is usually a very simple procedure to start a return, choose "defective item", they give you a free shipping label you print off, and you send it back. Once received, you get your money back.

I always loved the Leupold VX-1 1-4x, so much so that I bought 4 for myself, 1 for my brother, and 1 for my dad. I also got the VX-1 4-12x. I needed another this year for a shotgun, and found the VX-1 discontinued, replaced with the 1-4x VX-Freedom. Reviews show just about everyone found them as good, many claim they even used the VX-2 quality glass in them. Mine is every bit as good as the VX-1's. I'm not an optic snob, so I don't know or care if it is ever so slightly clearer, but it is pretty much a VX-1 with new styled turret covers. I love the adjustments on both the VX-1 and VX-Freedom. They are adjusted easily by hand, nice and easy clicks. Mine have held zero with the extreme recoil of some stout shotgun slugs.

tomme boy
12-18-2020, 10:34 PM
Amazon has about a 30-45 day return window if you want to return it. You better hurry up if that is what you are going to do.

Lloyd Smale
12-19-2020, 07:55 AM
ive got one freedom 3x9. Is it a bad scope? Nope but what it isnt is what leupold claims it is. A scope targeted right between the old vx1 and vx2. More like in-between the crappy rifleman and the better then a freedom, vx1. id take a last generation vx1 any day over a freedom. Just as good opticaly and better mechanicaly.

Buzz Krumhunger
12-19-2020, 08:30 AM
“Leupold’s reputation is being tarnished by counterfeit products."

Do you guys know if Leupold will refund my money? I bought it from Amazon so maybe they will give me my money back.“

Are you asking if Leupold will refund your money for a fake you bought? I don’t think so. They don’t have your money to refund.

Teddy (punchie)
12-19-2020, 08:33 AM
Boy sounds like don't buy and let them set.

I have normally think way ahead and look for deals. Better to get and run the number off scope.

I bought a Burris and they told me the day, price and yes it's one they will cover it would ever fail.
Unless it's user damage, I have a few where the gun hit the ground and outside damage that no
one will cover that.

dangitgriff
12-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Teddy is right, as soon as you can get the serial number off the scope, run it by Leupold’s 800 number:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201219/60db9f41933ec3b7d9d2e533664d6291.jpg

megasupermagnum
12-20-2020, 10:31 PM
ive got one freedom 3x9. Is it a bad scope? Nope but what it isnt is what leupold claims it is. A scope targeted right between the old vx1 and vx2. More like in-between the crappy rifleman and the better then a freedom, vx1. id take a last generation vx1 any day over a freedom. Just as good opticaly and better mechanicaly.

What was better mechanically? I'm looking at my VX-1 and VX-Freedom 1-4x's side by side, and I can't see much difference. The turret caps are different, but the turrets look like they came off the same assembly line. I have no way of knowing what is inside the scope. Both hold zero's with heavy recoil.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2020, 07:43 AM
tracking and repeatability when you shoot a box. Mine is as much as 2 inches off at a 100 yards when i shoot a box. Clicks just seemed crisper too in the older ones. The new freedom kind of feels like the redfields that kind of have more of a plastic feel to the adjustments then a positive metalic click. not saying there bad scopes. MANY 200 dollar scopes wont pass this test. but my vx1s and vx2s would.

megasupermagnum
12-21-2020, 02:15 PM
That is a test I have never tried myself. Since I don't have target turrets, I never worried about it. I do love my VX-1's.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2020, 04:12 PM
Ya in the big picture i dont use my turrents on those kinds of scopes either. But i like to check it because a scope that does well just gives me confidence.

Drm50
12-21-2020, 04:42 PM
I started buying scopes in 60s. Mostly bought Weavers. They were the most popular at the time although Redfield & Leupold were more expensive. I just started selling off my collection and have peeled many Weaver K series scopes off rifles they have been on since 60s. I just took two K3s off guns to sell. One off a Sako 375H&H bought in 1968 and other off a Rem 870 12g bought 1966. I might put small tune up before season but have never had to make any major adjustments. In fact I’m putting one of these K3s on a Ruger #3 in 375Win today. If I am buying new it will be Leupold and a straight power.

nicholst55
12-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Amazon is flooded with counterfeit merchandise, which makes me very reluctant to buy from them - at least for a big purchase. If the item you're ordering isn't shipped directly from Amazon, caveat emptor. They are offering an extended return window during the holiday season; check it out on their homepage.

barnabus
12-22-2020, 06:20 AM
the Freedom scopes are junk and thats why walmart sells them.