PDA

View Full Version : Japan Called And They Want My Wife’s Kubota Back!

Three44s
12-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Japan sold all their capable equipment to rest of the world and now they are digging out by hand!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Japan+snowstorm+traffic+jam&efirst=2&filters=tnTID%3a%229F9D2013-B9C4-4b08-8292-6F2FEE4355A3%22+tnVersion%3a%223837996%22+Segment% 3a%22popularnow.carousel%22+tnCol%3a%222%22+tnOrde r%3a%222c59b008-3ef9-4d88-8a33-1dfc4d4a2506%22&form=HPNN01

Meanwhile her tractor sits snug in the barn with the six way front mounted blade!

Three44s

waksupi
12-18-2020, 12:12 PM
This reminds me of being stuck in Murdo, South Dakota for a few days, along with hundreds of other people. We took refuge in the school gym with hundreds of others, all motels were packed, and many were stuck on the interstate. I had my cross country skis with me, and skied several miles of the interstate checking people in their cars.

Cast_outlaw
12-18-2020, 01:07 PM
Like Victoria I Here in bc in 96 when they got 4ft of snow in one night completely shut down the city after they listened to the global warming expert telling city council they would never see snow there again because of global warming

Petrol & Powder
12-18-2020, 01:10 PM
I saw that snowstorm report from Japan.

The Japanese are very resourceful and resilient people, they will deal with the problem and they will not whine while doing it.

LynC2
12-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Like Victoria I Here in bc in 96 when they got 4ft of snow in one night completely shut down the city after they listened to the global warming expert telling city council they would never see snow there again because of global warming

I bet a lot of people wish there was a bit of "global warming" err, climate change.

dverna
12-18-2020, 02:26 PM
I saw that snowstorm report from Japan.

The Japanese are very resourceful and resilient people, they will deal with the problem and they will not whine while doing it.

You got that right!!!

Petrol & Powder
12-18-2020, 03:15 PM
This report: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55359771 is from Honshu, the main island.
The northern island, Hokkaido, gets an enormous amount of snow and they are a bit better at dealing with it. A friend spent some time there and talked about the snow & winter there. He said they are very stoic and just carry on with what needs to happen. They don't shut down due to the weather.

dtknowles
12-18-2020, 05:37 PM
I don't remember the year but one December I was driving from Florida to Maine to visit my family for Christmas and somewhere on I-95 in the Carolina's there were a lot of vehicles off the road including a few jackknifed semi's and at least on on its side. I admit it was pretty treacherous, icy patches covered with a dusting of snow and then packed snow. Being from Maine and had learned to how to drive in snow after crashing into my share of snow banks I just kept on trucking. I think it was that same year on my way back to Florida, it was either on the Mass Turnpike or I-8X in Connecticut there was a foot of snow on the road and people were driving in the ruts. You couldn't pass because it was just too risky to leave the ruts and go out into the other lane. I guess if you had a big truck you might try it but I was driving a Chevy Nova. You could not stop and pull over and wait for a plow or you would get stuck. I think I drove that way for 30 miles before I got to plowed road.

Tim

Wayne Smith
12-18-2020, 07:17 PM
I remember driving from Fairmont, WVA to Front Royal, VA when I was in College at WVU after a snowstorm. LOML and I counted the vehicles off the road - and every one was a 4 wheel drive vehicle! No traction means no traction - two or four drive. When living in NH I drove a Mazda pickup - with studded snow tires and weight behind and never got stuck or slid. Driving in snow I had two rules - put it in second and don't take it out of second, and drive as if you have no brakes because you don't.

dtknowles
12-18-2020, 08:04 PM
I remember driving from Fairmont, WVA to Front Royal, VA when I was in College at WVU after a snowstorm. LOML and I counted the vehicles off the road - and every one was a 4 wheel drive vehicle! No traction means no traction - two or four drive. When living in NH I drove a Mazda pickup - with studded snow tires and weight behind and never got stuck or slid. Driving in snow I had two rules - put it in second and don't take it out of second, and drive as if you have no brakes because you don't.

yes, pretty much the worst thing you can do driving in snow is touch the brake pedal. Don't even take your foot off the gas pedal abruptly. I never drove a standard transmission vehicle in the snow so can comment about second gear.

Tim

Wayne Smith
12-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Second gear - starting off in first is too abrupt, you will spin. If you are going faster than second gear provides you are driving too fast for conditions.

Finster101
12-19-2020, 09:53 AM
I am more than happy that my Kubota has never seen snow.

gbrown
12-19-2020, 10:08 AM
I was in the D.C. area the winter of 2003,04, it wasn't bad, but had a few days of snowy, icy days. Going into work was a long, fairly steep hill with an intersection and light at a busy intersection. Going down that part, you had to judge speed, time and distance so you didn't slide into the intersection and end up being broadside or sliding into the car in front of you. Pretty scary situation. I was familiar with driving in snow and ice from driving in Germany and Oklahoma. Had an automatic transmission, but used it like a standard. Couldn't wait to get out of that place and back to God's country where we don't see that white stuff.

Three44s
12-19-2020, 11:22 AM
I am more than happy that my Kubota has never seen snow.

Oh, come on now! Be a sport!

LOL!

You get one twice as big as you think you can get by with, add the loader with skid steer quick change, the third valve circuit for the front, 4x4, the deluxe cab, block heater if it goes deep minus F, treat the fuel and top it of with a six way blade with hydraulic angle. ..... and you are set!

If you are in wind prone areas like the Midwest you probably will be more inclined to add a blower instead.

We had a hard late developing winter in 18/19 here in Central WA and my wife got fed up even in her Subaru, so she went tractor shopping in the summer of 19.

We wanted a good blade and a grapple to handle fire wood logs. We settled on Blue Diamond and are they ever built!

So we started with a skiff of snow fall of 19 and never got more than a measly two inches all winter long!! All dressed up and no party!

Three44s

Petrol & Powder
12-19-2020, 11:42 AM
"...........All dressed up and no party!"

Have a spare tire, working jack and a lug wrench and you'll never have a flat tire [smilie=s:

Let the air out of that spare tire and drive 2 miles down the road and your odds of having a blowout go up considerably.

Finster101
12-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Three44s I have the front loader, a finish mower, box blade, four wheel drive and I'm looking at a 3 point fertilizer spreader. A snow plow or block heater is not in my foreseeable future. They are fantastic tools though.

dtknowles
12-19-2020, 05:13 PM
I was in the D.C. area the winter of 2003,04, it wasn't bad, but had a few days of snowy, icy days. Going into work was a long, fairly steep hill with an intersection and light at a busy intersection. Going down that part, you had to judge speed, time and distance so you didn't slide into the intersection and end up being broadside or sliding into the car in front of you. Pretty scary situation. I was familiar with driving in snow and ice from driving in Germany and Oklahoma. Had an automatic transmission, but used it like a standard. Couldn't wait to get out of that place and back to God's country where we don't see that white stuff.

I had traveled to the DC area for work around 2015. I was driving to the plant after a snowy night and noticed the traffic was unusually light. I got work and the parking lot was empty. They had declared it a snow day but nobody thought to let me know. It did not even occur to me to call to check. Seemed like a typical snow storm nothing serious.

Tim

Three44s
12-19-2020, 08:28 PM
Three44s I have the front loader, a finish mower, box blade, four wheel drive and I'm looking at a 3 point fertilizer spreader. A snow plow or block heater is not in my foreseeable future. They are fantastic tools though.

Well if I was in Florida, I believe I’d pass on that winter stuff as well! LOL!

Good luck on your search for a spreader. I suppose the likely used internet based sources?

Best regards

Three44s

LaPoint
12-19-2020, 08:43 PM
It's been cold enough here, 12F overnight, that the lakes are frozen but no snow. The worst single day snowfall I remember was Halloween of '91. I was working the 1800-0600 shift, driving an Chev Caprice RWD squad car. We got about 18" of snow during my shift. I got pretty familiar with operating the snow shovel (grain scoop) that night. I now have a Case IH 595 (54 hp tractor) with a 7' snow bucket & 78" rear mounted blower. I have it all ready to go so I doubt that we'll get much snow.

robg
12-20-2020, 11:28 AM
going down hill on ice is the worst,you definitely cant stop even at tick over in 1st gear .

missionary5155
12-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Best view I ever saw on snowy roads was watching some 53 ton sleds in Germany back in 1973. Hard rubber treads on the M60A1 tank made for lots of fun without the sun in January.

rockrat
12-20-2020, 03:37 PM
Moved to Colorado about 30 years ago, from Oklahoma. I remember well the ice storms there and don't miss them at all!! Remember heading to work on the ice and was going maybe 15 and tapped the brake to slow down for the stop sign about a block away. Slid the whole block and tapped the back of a pickup. We got out and looked. My front bumper hit his where the hitch ball would be and scratched his paint and scratched the front of my bumper. He looked and said that I came out worse than he did and told me to have a good day and left.

Have a small JD with a bucket and bought a blower for the back of my Massey, after a bad winter. Think I used it the next year, but haven't had the heavy snows we used to get and the JD has been enough. A blade on the front, instead of the bucket, would be nice at times.

Three44s
12-20-2020, 11:21 PM
Oh yeah! A front blade is sweet!

Best regards

Three44s

Finster101
12-20-2020, 11:56 PM
Best view I ever saw on snowy roads was watching some 53 ton sleds in Germany back in 1973. Hard rubber treads on the M60A1 tank made for lots of fun without the sun in January.

Yeah Boy! Been there, done that, still have the olive drab Tshirt.

Thin Man
12-21-2020, 04:42 AM
LaPoint, I was in the twin cities during that storm. Wife and I had to get our daughter to the U of M hospital (now called Fairview?) for life saving treatment to save her from leukemia. We survived both the storm and the cancer. The mistake I made during that time was that I did not slow down long enough to buy a few of the "I Survived the Storm of '91" t-shirts that were being pushed. Your post brought back many memories, thanks.

gordie
12-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Kubota has a big plant here in N. Ga.
looks like a good place to work... if i was younger.

Three44s
12-23-2020, 12:03 PM
Kubota has a big plant here in N. Ga.
looks like a good place to work... if i was younger.

When my wife wanted her own tractor we tried to talk her into buying a larger older American tractor. She insisted on a smaller new 4x4.

We looked over the field of brands and as a farmer who’s cousin farms and owns a lot of small 4x4s including Kubota, the choice was simple.

Kubota!

I am a JD fan in the bigger ones, older Case tractors as well. But in the small ones, the New Holland/LS tractors stand out with their pivoting front axle but I shied away because our local dealer is a dead head and the tractors are made in S. Korea. I worry that Kim Nut job could turn them into a zoo or worse.

Engine wise in the small tractors hardly anybody uses their own engine except Kubota. JD uses Yanmar in their small tractors which is a tremendous power plant but they also make the three points to fit only their special equipment, not standard category 1 or 2 or the like!

With Kubota everything is KUBOTA and tough as nails. We have a great dealer as well.

The fact is that there is no real American small tractor. The fact that Kubota is assembled in the US was comforting!

Three44s

remy3424
12-23-2020, 12:14 PM
This reminds me of being stuck in Murdo, South Dakota for a few days, along with hundreds of other people. We took refuge in the school gym with hundreds of others, all motels were packed, and many were stuck on the interstate. I had my cross country skis with me, and skied several miles of the interstate checking people in their cars.

Used to have a place to shoot prairie dogs out by Murdo, until the plaugue cleared them out, stayed in town there. Loved eating the pancakes for breakfast at the diner! At a town just east, Vivian maybe?, we found a restraunt called the "Busted Nut", they could cook a steak! You didn't leave that place hungrey.