View Full Version : hollow point cast bullets

porthos
12-16-2020, 08:47 PM
what is the purpose of cast hollow points. is there a benefit other than for hunting??

Winger Ed.
12-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Just the expansion factor.

They are so much more tedious to cast, I don't mess with 'em just for target shooting.

Finster101
12-16-2020, 08:51 PM
The mushrooming affect adds to the transfer of energy as well as creating a larger wound channel.

bmortell
12-16-2020, 08:59 PM
more useful as velocity gets on lower side where you cant get a soft flat point to expand

Targa
12-16-2020, 09:08 PM
I casted my first hollow points a couple of weeks ago with an MP mold. The cool thing about it is that the mold comes with a pin for solid flat points, which is great for my revolver and lever action rifle and three different hollow point pins which I have loaded up for home defense.

megasupermagnum
12-16-2020, 09:26 PM
what is the purpose of cast hollow points. is there a benefit other than for hunting??

Yes there are other benefits. They are lighter, which means more bullets per pound of lead. It usually isn't a huge difference, but it is there. Not all of them are tedious to cast, but the good casting molds sure cost money. A good 4+ cavity Cramer/inset bar style mold casts hollow point bullets as easy as a solid bullet. Hollow points also alter the balance of the bullet. There are a lot of bullets that are more accurate as a hollow point than a solid. Many jacketed target bullets, like the Hornady HAP is a hollow point because they are more accurate, and are not intended to perform on anything besides a target range. I've heard more than one bullseye shooter say that the H&G #68 is more accurate as a hollow point, and those guys would know.

sigep1764
12-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Just the expansion factor.

They are so much more tedious to cast, I don't mess with 'em just for target shooting.

Hey Winger,
I understand the older removable pin hollow point molds were difficult to cast with. I have never cast with a Cramer/MP style mold, but my NOE RG style molds cast like a dream. They drop easily, have virtually no part lines and expand quite well in the proper alloy. Which molds gave you troubles? I don't doubt your experience at all. All of our experiences are different. Just wondered how and why and what types gave troubles.

bangerjim
12-16-2020, 09:34 PM
The new BRASS 4 and 5 cavity molds with changeable pins are a dream to work with. The old single removable pin molds are not worth messing with. If I can't cast 4 to 6 boolits at at time, I don't bother. I cast and shoot HP boolits in 9mm/38/45 cal. All have 3 or four different pin selections including solid. Nothing like getting 4 molds for the price of one! The boolits drop out like rain from the quality molds.

Lighter weight = less alloy. Better expansion. Cool looking especially when PC'd.

Never any problems casting with modern design multi-molds

USSR
12-16-2020, 09:50 PM
what is the purpose of cast hollow points.

To do this.

Don

Winger Ed.
12-16-2020, 10:05 PM
Hey Winger, Just wondered how and why and what types gave troubles.

I've had .357 and .44 HP, Iron, single cavity molds. They were RCBS or Lyman, I forget which , but probably RCBS.
I never had any trouble with them, it was just that in the time it took pulling and putting the pin back in to make one boolit-
I could drop at least four from a solid design boolit with a two cavity mold.

Even with that, its no big deal,,,,, until ya start casting a few hundred, one at a time.
(That's where the tedious part comes in)

I never intended to hunt with them, or any handgun, and for me, the hollow point thing wasn't really necessary.
I made a few hundred, had a good time with 'em, and they were quite accurate;
but then sort of drifted away since they were slower to produce without a need, or particular desire for them with my application.

Targa
12-16-2020, 10:11 PM
I would say you have the hollow point thing dialed in about as good as it gets Don.

BNE
12-16-2020, 10:33 PM
All of the above is true.

The coolness factor alone is enough for me!

BNE

USSR
12-16-2020, 10:35 PM
With hollow points, it's all in the alloy.

Don

GLynn41
12-17-2020, 12:05 AM
even with a HP Keith from NOE hps are easy, new custom molds are just the same with flat points or cup or hollow points.

beagle
12-17-2020, 10:36 AM
Another added benefit is that most hollow point bullets tend to be more accurate. The less weight in the nose seems to shift the weight of the bullet back toward the base and this tends to make them more aerodynamic in flight. I can't prove this but of all the moulds I have modified, this seems to be proven by test results./beagle

USSR
12-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Nice to know, beagle. Thanks for weighing in on that.

Don

Mal Paso
12-17-2020, 02:50 PM
MP Hollowpoint Molds are as fast to cast as solids and More Fun!

The Keith I use is all about penetration. A hollowpoint is less likely to penetrate walls and kinder to steel targets. That's what I tell myself, gotta use them up somewhere. Did I say they are fun to cast?

fredj338
12-17-2020, 03:48 PM
With hollow points, it's all in the alloy.

Don

Actually alloy & HP design. A good HP design can produce great results over a broad alloy range.

gwpercle
12-17-2020, 06:42 PM
even with a HP Keith from NOE hps are easy, new custom molds are just the same with flat points or cup or hollow points.

The old single cavity Lyman mould with the separate hollow point plug was the epitome of slow tedious casting ... It was such a job to cast a decent supply of HP's with that set up that after my first one ... I never bought another . Cast HP boolits for handguns just wasn't that necessary .
The NOE set up is pretty neat ... but weren't around in the 60's - 70's ... Wish they had been !
Gary

DHDeal
12-18-2020, 12:43 AM
I cast for my revolvers with either Accurate Molds or MP Molds. Other than having to flip the MP's when dropping the bullets, they aren't much slower than the Accurate Molds. They do drop perfect HP's as soon as they are up to temperature.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I can not say the HP's are more accurate than the LFN designs from Accurate, but you could starve on any difference.

Larry Gibson
12-18-2020, 11:53 AM

With cast bullets the increased terminal effect of the HP for hunting and PD is the reason.

Super Sneaky Steve
12-18-2020, 08:37 PM
I cast pure lead hollow points for my .38 spl. They have a much better chance at expanding over jacketed boolits.

https://i.imgur.com/eu6juGz.jpg

Beagle333
12-18-2020, 08:49 PM
I love HPs. They are just cool and shoot better (imho), and I like the look and performance at lower speeds. If they had made commercial HPs back when I started, I would have never cast my own. But you could only get solid bullets back then from the vendors.

Tripplebeards
12-18-2020, 08:49 PM
I get better accuracy with HP cast vs solids. I also like kinetic energy transfer. A hard cast non expanding solid provides none unless bone is hit. Imo a solid hard cast is like shooting an animal with a FMJ.