PDA

View Full Version : Coated cast iron?

WestKentucky
12-16-2020, 08:34 PM
I bought a small Dutch oven today at Goodwill for the purpose of processing scrap. The cast iron is coated with some sort of porcelain paint. If I can’t use it for casting purposes that’s fine as I have other uses for it, but before I toss it in the fire, I figured I would ask the masses if that will create a problem?

Winger Ed.
12-16-2020, 08:52 PM
If its old school, that's not really paint, its more nearly a glass coating.
I wouldn't worry about it.
If melting Lead busts it off, no big deal, the flakes will just float up and can be skimmed off with the other trash.

leadeye
12-16-2020, 08:55 PM
If its old school, that's not really paint, its more nearly a glass coating.
I wouldn't worry about it.
If melting Lead busts it off, no big deal, it'll just float up and can be skimmed off with the other trash.

^ This. The porcelain should hold up to anything but being hit hard. Like Winger Ed says, think along the lines of glass.

WinchesterM1
12-16-2020, 08:56 PM
It’s an enamel coating I use a lot of the skillets coated with it, it’s pretty durable

rancher1913
12-16-2020, 09:25 PM
if its lecreuset(spelling) its very valuable.

WestKentucky
12-16-2020, 09:58 PM
if its lecreuset(spelling) its very valuable.

It’s no-name and that’s probably why I paid $6

WestKentucky
12-16-2020, 10:12 PM
I can’t post a picture. I want to show off my goodwill haul! I got the Dutch Oven, a full size mini muffin tin for ingots, and a riser apparatus that has a nice wide base and 4 legs to raise the Dutch oven up about 4 inches, so when I build my fire I can take coals under the Dutch oven to get heat on the bottom as well as the sides and melt quickly with a firm base so that there’s little risk of tipping over and losing a pot of lead! Maybe I can find links to the stuff...

Winger Ed.
12-16-2020, 10:18 PM
^ This. The porcelain should hold up to anything but being hit hard. Like Winger Ed says, think along the lines of glass.

I never learned anything about the process,
but I always imagined it as being along the lines of the way they paint on the glaze for pottery, then cook it.

gwpercle
12-17-2020, 08:17 PM
If it's in good shape ... I would cook with it .
Cast iron with a Enameled Finish is sweet !
Gary

beagle
12-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Glad you posted that. The management has one that's messed up and I guess I'll have to take it off her hands. I was wondering about the coating when she mentioned it./beagle