PDA

View Full Version : Today's Homeschool Lesson

Woodbridge 30-30
12-16-2020, 05:28 PM
With the public school system being less than reliable right now, we've been homeschooling the kids this year. We had shot their crickets over the weekend, so for our first grader, today's lesson was how to clean guns! How's that for a practical life lesson?

dangitgriff
12-16-2020, 05:40 PM
That’s the homeschooling advantage!
Why send them back into the government indoctrination centers? Keep them home, and keep them safe.
R/Griff

Bull-Moose
12-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Teach them practical life skills.

fcvan
12-16-2020, 06:41 PM
I was home or Church schooling my kids 30 years ago. My grand kids are home/Church schooled to this day. The first lessons they received were in language, sign language. Little ones don't cry because they are frustrated when they can't tell you what they need. Simple things like 'diaper, juice, milk, please and thank you, simple things. Youngest grand daughter is also learning Spanish as her father is bi-lingual. Reading books for her are printed in English and Spanish, and we read both together.

The girls all share their learning tools such as books and videos. The kids often would rather watch 'Baby Signing Time' than Disney films, or Sesame Street. Grand kids range from 10 to 6 months. I am teaching the youngest grand daughter (4 y/o) guitar over the net, older kids are teaching guitar, piano, and wind instruments. I get to help teach simple science projects learned in the Boy Scouts, wife and daughters all are excellent cooks and seamstresses, and sewing is a way of life they are taught almost every week.

Common core curriculum is not utilized, we prefer education tools, not indoctrination tools. All my girls went to college and paid their own way, although I did pay for their first semesters. After that, they wanted to pay for their own way, and expressed that when you pay for it you work harder to get your money's worth. I'm not sure where they learned that.

Firearms instruction was never a part of their 'formal' education', it was a part of our way of life. All were around for the gun cleaning and such, all were encouraged to learn, all were given the choice to participate if they wanted to. I worked in Law Enforcement and carried off-duty all of their lives. The basic 'Eddie Eagle' was taught before 'Eddie' was a program, save the youngest daughter. She never attended an 'Eddie' lesson, except by me. I have been asked to teach basic safety to their children even though their Dads know the basics. The girls and their husbands said something about it 'sinks in better' when it's not coming directly from Mom or Dad. I disagree as I was taught by my parents, but we agreed that more instructor/role models is better. None of my grand kids have brought their kids to the range as their parents haven't asked. They are raising their kids, I respect their choice to wait until they are old enough.

Although it is not an every day thing, they have learned basic auto maintenance, budget and finance, and gardening. I suppose that is a part of 'home schooling' that should count. Grand kids learned 'Papa Waffles, 101' from an early age, and advanced waffles later. The Moms all bake fresh bread, nut/vegetable bread, pies and other yummy things.

My grand kids know vegetables don't come from cans, meat is 'kill it and grill it' and doesn't magically appear wrapped in plastic. Some did 4H, some just raised rabbits, chickens, ducks, and such, with me, and learned that you don't name their food, only pets. When older, they did think it was funny that my folks bought a 10 acre horse farm that came with a horse and 2 steers. The steers were named 'Tender and Tasty.' They were.

The my kids also heard the story about a Turkey my Dad bought at an auction because it was raised for Thanksgiving but the owners couldn't. Dad bought the Turkey and named him 'November.' That old Tom followed Dad around the barnyard like a puppy, and he would tell that bird 'come November.' Well, come November Dad couldn't do it either. The kids learned it was okay to let plans change, and that bird lived a happy life rather than just be dinner.

Every day has a lesson to learn, and to be taught. I learn from my grand kids more than they learn from me. The greatest lesson I have learned is that they love their Lord, and I never wanted that to come from me. That is their parent's responsibility and choice. Heck, I just learned I have a 17 year old grand daughter. My oldest daughter gained custody of her younger sister, as my first wife decided she wanted more kids and did embryo implants, not even her eggs. I gained custody of my older girls and fought for them when their mother . . . not going into that. History repeated itself.

Anyway, after being 'foster parents' to their sister, they sought and fought for adoption. After 4 years, it went through. I remember when my daughter first had her 'sister' visit, maybe 6 years old, she asked me 'what are you to me?' This went on for a bit until I told her 'Your sister is my daughter, you are her sister, and that means I love you too.' She has called me Papa ever since. She taught me about the unconditional love of a child who was technically not my kin, but was always considered as such. I told her she was family no matter what as we both share the same Heavenly Father.

You can learn much more from home than they teach in a public school. I'm not knocking public schools, I went to them. I also learned to read and write at 3, as mom was teaching my older brothers. I knew how to tie my shoes as well. I later came to know too many children who didn't know how to read until Kindergarten, write until 1st grade, and tie shoes because their lazy parents bought them slip on or velcro so they didn't have to bother with teaching their kids.

I learned that many folks didn't feed their kids breakfast, or pack them lunches, because the public school provided them free to everyone, not just the kids on aid. I learned that more money goes into the administration offices and the cafeteria, than the classroom. I learned to attend school board meetings, City Council Meetings, and County Board meetings.

My kids have probably attended more in their lifetime than I have. I have never had ordinance passed to limit smoking near public playgrounds, but one daughter has. I never had extra stop signs placed near schools, or speed limits changed near schools, or campaigned for a 'quiet zone' for the Fourth of July Parade route (no sirens, black powder rifle discharges, firecrackers) for seniors and developmentally disabled persons affected by harsh noises. My wife and daughters have. I learned to be proud of my family, and hopefully they learned that pride of them from me expressing that to them.

Every day of life is a lesson, even the last. On that day we learn that we were born to die, but we learn our spirit will live on because on that day it will.

Brass&Lead
12-16-2020, 07:06 PM
That sounds like a fine lesson. Don’t forget to include nomenclature, spelling, math (reloads per box, cost per round) , science (measuring length, weight, diameter of rounds), history, etc.

gbrown
12-16-2020, 08:11 PM
One of my early lessons in Pedagogy, the "art" of teaching, was the Parent is the first teacher. I don't know where the people in charge get their ideas, but those in charge of textbooks have to be blithering idiots. That from a retired educator of 23 years. Less American values and more inclusion of fragmented values from every nook and cranny. I agree that others should be included, but how many others?

gbrown
12-16-2020, 08:18 PM
BTW, I really like the OP, that's a great lesson. The suggestion on weights and measures is also great. One of the life skills I push with my grandchildren is the kitchen and cooking.

Woodbridge 30-30
12-16-2020, 08:58 PM
Yup, our kids spend a lot of time with us in the kitchen also. Along with other things that they wouldn't get in public like saying the pledge of allegiance each morning, reading an analog clock and knowing how to make change.

Winger Ed.
12-16-2020, 09:07 PM
Good on ya!
You learn the most important things in life outside of a school.

Reminds me of the scene in "Porky's":
The bad guy- Porky had it all settled in his mind that his daughter was going to marry the big, husky, High School kid.
He got all dreamy eyed, and looked off, saying, he couldn't wait for a grand kid-
so he could teach him important things- like how to cheat at cards, and beat people.

bedbugbilly
12-17-2020, 10:31 AM
Good for you! Kids need to learn basic and practical life skills and they sure as heck won't get them in the public schools unless it's a fluke.

My wife taught over 30 years - 3rd and 4th grade and then moved up to 6th grade. She's been retired now for 14 years. We have often talked about if she was still teaching and she admits that she would probably find a different career due to all of the guvment regulations and intrusions as well as all of the political correctness.

I taught shop for a few years - jr. and sr. high - 40 some years ago. I always tried to make kids see the relationship of what I was teaching them - whether it be woodworking, metalworking, drafting, etc. of how it would apply later in life. They even were taught math and geometry without even knowing it when we did sheet metal layout, etc. I got out of teaching and later, went to grad school. At the time, I also did some longterm subbing in high school - teaching Government and a class hey called "life skills". Those are a thing of the past. Shop classes faded away in favor of "technology classes" - i.e. computer skills. No wonder the kids of that time can't fix anything, can't do basic math to figure out how many lineal feet of molding or square feet of flooring they need to redo their house to keep the wife happy.

We never had kids . . . but the time you spend with your kids - working with them and teaching them good solid basic skills of life will not only benefit them later in life but also create a greater bond with you and memories that can never be taken away from them. We all learn through our failures and through experience and what better way than to have sit come from our parents whether it be in cooking, cleaning house, sewing, balancing a checkbook or being able to work with tools and trouble shoot and be able to fix things.

reloader28
12-17-2020, 10:55 AM
ALOT of kids became home schooled around here last year. Parents are flat fed up with the commie indoctrinate crap.

EMC45
12-17-2020, 10:59 AM
We've homeschooled ours for 10 years now. my 18yo is dual enrolled (college/senior year) and my 15 and 13 yo are doing just fine too. I always tried to mix in my hobby (shooting, loading field dressing etc.) with their learning.

MrWolf
12-17-2020, 05:58 PM
fcvan - Good for you and nice write up

poppy42
12-17-2020, 06:40 PM
I truly give you folks who home school a lot of praise. If I had tried to homeschool my sons, neither one of them would have reached adulthood! A man's gotta know his limitations. LOL

WRideout
12-17-2020, 07:06 PM
My wife and I are doing distance learning with our seven year-old granddaughter, Lily. The technical aspects of virtual school leave a lot to be desired. In the meantime, I have been building a shed and working on various maintenance projects around the house. I have shown Lily how to read a tape measure, cut wood and hammer nails. One day I described triangular bracing to her. She thinks I know everything, which is a real ego boost.

Wayne

gbrown
12-17-2020, 11:20 PM
WRideout-- well done. That's what we need to do, teach them life skills. Junk taught in schools is of little use later on. How much were we taught we never used?

MaryB
12-19-2020, 03:15 PM
One of my early lessons in Pedagogy, the "art" of teaching, was the Parent is the first teacher. I don't know where the people in charge get their ideas, but those in charge of textbooks have to be blithering idiots. That from a retired educator of 23 years. Less American values and more inclusion of fragmented values from every nook and cranny. I agree that others should be included, but how many others?

While I was educated in the public school system(back in the 60's and 70's when it actually taught...) I learned a lot more form my parents and grandparents/great grandparents. Great grandparents taught the appreciation of other cultures(Sorry GG Nelson but I am NOT eating lutefisk, yes I tried it at your house... BARF!). With my family coming from Germany, Norway, Ireland/Scotland/England/Canada, Native American I got a real mix of cultures and their biases...

Three44s
12-19-2020, 03:28 PM
I have a lot of Norwegian in me but not enough to appreciate Lutefisk!

Three44s

Hick
12-19-2020, 09:33 PM
That sounds like a fine lesson. Don’t forget to include nomenclature, spelling, math (reloads per box, cost per round) , science (measuring length, weight, diameter of rounds), history, etc.

Excellent. When I moved out here in Nevada and went back to teaching math I was supposed to teach the students about mean, standard deviation and all that stuff-- plus why it was important. The first attempt went nowhere. So that weekend I took the 30-30 out to the range with a new load and measured velocity for 15 rounds. Come Monday I took the data into class (lots of kids who were from shooting families), explained the load and asked them if the load was any good. After a lot of arguing they decided they needed some math way to evaluate the load-- so then I retaught them about mean and standard deviation and extreme spread and all that. They got it and enjoyed it!

The funny thing is that we all know how kids forget stuff-- but a year later I was out at the range checking velocities on a load and one of my former students showed up with his family. The young man came over and watched my measuring velocities. First words out of his mouth were "How's the Standard Deviation?"

robg
12-20-2020, 11:31 AM
history so they dont repeat it.

hithard
12-20-2020, 10:41 PM
Excellent. When I moved out here in Nevada and went back to teaching math I was supposed to teach the students about mean, standard deviation and all that stuff-- plus why it was important. The first attempt went nowhere. So that weekend I took the 30-30 out to the range with a new load and measured velocity for 15 rounds. Come Monday I took the data into class (lots of kids who were from shooting families), explained the load and asked them if the load was any good. After a lot of arguing they decided they needed some math way to evaluate the load-- so then I retaught them about mean and standard deviation and extreme spread and all that. They got it and enjoyed it!

The funny thing is that we all know how kids forget stuff-- but a year later I was out at the range checking velocities on a load and one of my former students showed up with his family. The young man came over and watched my measuring velocities. First words out of his mouth were "How's the Standard Deviation?"

Brother...your so on the money with showing the application of said lesson. Seems like the last ten tears worth of electrical apprentices I've felt with never thought the would use math.consequently they are pretty much useless until they learn it....i don't let them use their phone.

gbrown
12-20-2020, 11:36 PM
I was taught by people who came up in the 30's and 40's, people who were raised in the Great Depression and WWII. Many of my coaches and teachers were people who went thru D Day, and some of the great battles of the Pacific. I don't know for sure, but I believe my German teacher 10-12 grades, was a Jewish person who saw things and fled before the Holocaust. Many years later, I ask her to record her memories to words, but she did not. Our Superintendent of the school district was a Colonel of an Infantry Brigade at Okinawa. Wow! Educated by the Greatest Generation. What can I say. Plus, I was educated at home by 2 people that came up HARD through the Depression. I am who I am because of them, very thankful of that. Thank you, Kathryn and Frank! It is what it is, Maybe my children and grandchildren can catch on, don't know.

dangitgriff
12-21-2020, 07:36 AM
The post-WWII-era of America ended at the turn of the new century.
The 20th century was America’s century.
The 21st century will be the Chinese century.
The business of America is war; the business of China is business.
Remember when it was the other way around? Most people born after 1990 do not.
R/Griff

dangitgriff
12-21-2020, 03:29 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201221/46797137cef5747e1f6138ed6cc82082.jpg

Frosty Boolit
12-22-2020, 10:17 AM
I was beaming with pride as my 8yo and I butchered a doe this year. I showed him all the pieces parts as we took her apart and explained how deer are similar and different to other animals. I also gave some native american uses for parts that I regretfully threw away. Also, we ate butter fried onions and mushrooms with tenderloin medallions medium rare. 😁

Woodbridge 30-30
12-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Good to hear that you involve them in the butcher process. Mine show a lot of interest in it and seem to appreciate that food can come from time spent in the woods. I'll even catch them at the dinner table when it's their turn to say grace, completely on their own accord, thanking God for "daddy's deer meat" on nights when we're having venison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk