PDA

View Full Version : DGW brass scope

jim 44-40
12-16-2020, 11:53 AM
Does any one know if the back elevation knob also adjust windage.scope is mounted on 45 cal TC Hawken. There are two tiny screws that hold the front dovetail but it can't move left or right very far without missing where the screws lock it into place.scope is 32 in long

jim 44-40
12-16-2020, 12:49 PM
Got it,if I had a brain. Of course you can't adjust windage from rear mount.dah

jim 44-40
12-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Got windage perfect, now have to figure out how to adjust elevation, shooting 4 in low at 25 yards. Can't find anything on YouTube only Malcolm scope instructions

elk hunter
12-18-2020, 10:43 AM
The DGW scope I have is intended to be mounted to the left of the centerline of the barrel with the bases screwed to the top of the barrel. This arrangement allows windage adjustment via the front mount/ring dovetail. Elevation is set via the large screw and locked with the lock nuts on the rear mount/ring. Without pictures I can't be certain if we have the same scope mounting system.

Good luck. Lets us know how it works.

jim 44-40
12-18-2020, 05:48 PM
Thank you for info, do you turn counter clock wise to hit higher. Also does the front of scope tube have to be loosened before elevation changes

elk hunter
12-19-2020, 10:35 AM
On my set of rings/bases the screwdriver slot on the elevation screw faces down and you need to loosen both lock nuts and turn the screw clockwise to raise the rear of the scope to raise the point of impact. The large set nut locks the ring to the setting screw and the lower/smaller nut locks the screw to the base. The nuts are locked to the screw by the incredibly tiny set screws in the nuts. The front and rear rings are beveled so that the scope only bears in the very center of the ring so as to allow the scope to move in the ring in a circular/angular manner. Depending on how tight you set the clamp screws the scope may or may not move in the ring. Be careful about over tightening the clamp screws as you may damage the scope tube.

The whole setup is rather crude and hard to set compared to modern scope mounts and is most likely a copy of those in use during the 1860's.

jim 44-40
12-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Got it,thank you elk hunter.you are right on with the adjustment procedure.