PDA

View Full Version : No cast bullet work for almost 2 years

Low$John
12-15-2020, 05:00 PM
I have heard so much about having strokes, i tried one out Jan 1, 2019, what a way to start a new year. Its true, a stroke is every thing i read about. Then again, it depends on the intensity, some in my group had it much worse.. Ill skip the pain part, that's been done well. I first noticed the left side of my body lost communication with me... To me, the few weeks of intense therapy was a lot like shooting a scene for the living dead. It was some time before i could dress myself to go home, never thought i would shoot again and was actually afraid to go into my gun/reloading room. I'm still clumsy and lost some sight in my shooting eye and I'm guessing 20 years older...
So today, I plan to continue with developing a load for a Stevens 311 double barrel using .695 cast round balls. I did get a load 2 years ago that work well in my pump Ithaca ds police special. I tried that load in the Stevens 311 and it shot vary well for what i assumed it would. Both barrels seem to hit four shots in the same area which gave me 2 inches at 50 ft, fine for me. I got this 311 for a Low$ fair price which was shortened to 20 inches other wise is vary clean. This is the first gun of mine i shot in 2 years..
I next hope to finish work on my Japanese/Winchester 1885 single shot carbine rifle which now has a 18 inch barreled 357 max chamber. I tried several cast bullets in it and they all shot well but never chose which ones would be the keepers. Works well with 38 special, 357 mag cases from wad cutters to 220 gr cast in the 357 Max. So many loading variables to try and such slow movements with this body I'm now living in. ;-)

1 finger typing is also fun
Low$John

PS It only took me 4 days to stop sticking myself in the face with a fork while eating.
Mayo clinic, fun place to visit, lots of attention but would not want to live there...

RedlegEd
12-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Hi Low$John,
Welcome back! While I can't speak from personal experience, I can relate. My wife had a cerebral aneurysm that left her with many problems on her left side, and I was right there to help her through it, so I know how hard it can be. My friend, you are an inspiration. You are coming back and working hard to get here...that takes guts and grit. I hope your recovery continues and you can once again enjoy the hobby. Please keep us informed of your progress.
All the best,
Ed

Murphy
12-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Sorry hear of your stroke Low$John. Strokes are a scary thing. It seems than can run the gamut from little to no symptoms other than a doctor noticing it during a regular exam, all the way up to the worse of situations to be in. I've had a couple of stints over the past 7 years. Then, a few years after that my cardiologist put me on a heart monitor for 2 weeks. AFIB had set in. As time passed, it grew worse (scary worse) and my risks of a stroke or worse grew along with it. I had a pacemaker put in this past September 22nd. I feel better, but mostly am a lot more at ease and less fear of a stroke. I admire you for not just giving up and pushing forward. People never cease to amaze me with their desire to overcome things, adapt and keep on moving. Glad you're back! Keep us updated on how your loading for the Stevens progresses.

Murphy

762sultan
12-15-2020, 08:39 PM
I had a stroke on New Years Eve 2010/2011 and have never fully recovered. But that may have slowed me down, it has not kept me from melting lead...making, sizing and loading a lot of cast bullets. You will do that too. Just don't give up. Even several hours a day or two a week will make your life a happy one. I hope you have a wonderful life partner as she will be of great help to you. She will be helpful in so many ways...like finding things you can't find...picking things off the floor you have dropped...a cup of coffee...and sometimes just giving you some space to enjoy your hobby. I know that you will have success.

Dirtshooter
12-15-2020, 09:22 PM
Low$John, sorry to hear of your ordeal, but glad you didn't give up. I have heard lots of doctors say that your mental state has a lot to do with any recovery. Have fun at your loading and shooting. Getting old ain't for sissies for sure. I am 68 and am still trying to figure out where 40 years went!! LOL Merry Christmas!!!

MrWolf
12-15-2020, 09:47 PM
Hang in there and don't give up. Good luck!

Teddy (punchie)
12-16-2020, 04:10 AM
God Bless John, don't give up, try and keep moving as best you can.

I get Migraines, sometime the side effects are a bear, I thank God, I can do, and do what I can.