PDA

View Full Version : Reading "Hatcher's Notebook" Cover to Cover

alamogunr
12-15-2020, 01:11 AM
Cold weather has arrived in Tennessee. I'm too old to enjoy getting out unnecessarily so I have decided to embark on reading Hatcher's Notebook from cover to cover.

I've had the book for nearly 20 years but only skimmed parts of it at a time. I'm almost a third of the way thru it and am finding, not only good information, but much history about our military arms. Wish me luck on finishing it.

samari46
12-15-2020, 01:25 AM
I've a fairly extensive firearms library and "Hatcher's Notebook" is one that never gets too old. Frank

Gewehr-Guy
12-15-2020, 07:45 AM
I have a fairly extensive gun library, but no Hatcher's Notebook, time I get one.

JoeJames
12-15-2020, 07:52 AM
Don't over look two other books by Hatcher: The Book of the Garand, and the Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers.

pworley1
12-15-2020, 08:02 AM
https://ia801307.us.archive.org/1/items/Hatchers_Notebook/Hatchers_Notebook.pdf

StuBach
12-15-2020, 08:36 AM
Thank you for the book to add to collection. Always like finding new firearms books to add to Gun Library.

zarrinvz24
12-15-2020, 09:45 AM
You learn something every day, I had no idea there was a third work available. Do you know if the textbook of pistols and revolvers had been recently reprint?

alamogunr
12-15-2020, 10:04 AM
Just for the heck of it, I checked Abebooks. There is a bookseller in Memphis, about 80 miles away, that has a new copy of the NRA edition. I know that what is inside is what is important but I can't pass up one of those leather bound editions if the price is not completely out of reason.

So now I have "The Book of the Garand" on the way.

tdoor4570
12-15-2020, 10:38 AM
Now that it's getting cold here in Colo. with snow on the ground, need to curl up in the recliner and finish reading Hatcher's notebook along with a few other ones I have collected .

JoeJames
12-15-2020, 12:09 PM
You learn something every day, I had no idea there was a third work available. Do you know if the textbook of pistols and revolvers had been recently reprint?Yes, I already had a Kindle version of Hatcher's Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers (which was fairly reasonable), but I went ahead and got the reprint in quality paperback format from Amazon.

Alstep
12-15-2020, 12:13 PM
I bought his Notebook over 50 years ago, and every time I pick it up I learn something more. Absolutely fascinating work.
There's also a 4th book; "Textbook of Firearms Investigation, Identification and Evidence". Just as interesting as his other books. As said above, his books never get old. His writings are just as relevant today as when they were written.

lightman
12-15-2020, 03:40 PM
A good read by a great writer.

gwpercle
12-15-2020, 04:55 PM
I'm doing the same thing with a reprint of the 1936 book "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads " by Elmer Keith.
I bought it awhile back but just read bits and pieces ... I'm going front to back and taking notes.
A lot of information gets turned sideways and misspoken on the net .
The reprint is under $20.00 on Amazon ... the soft cover is under $10.00 , for such a reasonable price it's worth having on your bookshelf .

I remember reading Hatcher's Notebook about 1975 ... checked it out of the Public Library ...!!!
A very interesting read .
Gary

john.k
12-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Find an early edition with proper binding......mine(bought new) has the glue type binding and all the pages are falling out.

Ole Joe Clarke
12-16-2020, 07:26 AM
I have read Hatcher's Notebook several times, with the exception of the charts in the back. Interesting stuff.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

GhostHawk
12-16-2020, 08:24 AM
https://ia801307.us.archive.org/1/items/Hatchers_Notebook/Hatchers_Notebook.pdf

Thank you sir!

alamogunr
12-16-2020, 11:50 AM
I just finished the chapter "Receiver Steels and Heat Treatment". A lot of the technical details on heat treatment was over my head but now I have a better understanding of the problem with low serial number Springfields.

Wayne Smith
12-17-2020, 08:54 AM
I have the NRA Library hardback volume - I assume they are still available?

alamogunr
12-17-2020, 09:54 AM
I got my copy of Hatcher's Notebook and a couple of others from the "used" book vendors. They were all in almost unread condition. Weren't cheap even at that though.

If you are asking if they are available thru NRA, I don't know.

Found this when I Googled NRA Library:

https://www.leatherboundtreasure.com/p/firearms-classics-library.html

Wayne Smith
12-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Those are them - I bought some of them through the NRA. Not the whole library!

alamogunr
12-18-2020, 11:02 AM
I just briefly scanned the list of books at the link I posted for the NRA library. I guessed that I have at least a dozen of the titles listed just not the fancy bound edition. Most on that list don't fall into my areas of interest.

waksupi
12-19-2020, 12:46 PM
https://archive.org/details/Hatchers_Notebook/mode/2up?q=Hatcher%27s+notebook

alamogunr
12-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Preparations for Christmas delayed my reading of "The Book of the Garand". It is extremely interesting to me. All the background of the design and adoption of the Garand as the main battle rifle of U.S. military was more involved that I had imagined. The competing designs were interesting as well. Hatcher also included some of the politics involved, both in the design and the preparation for manufacturing.

I am finally to the portion of the book that explains the operation of the rifle in detail. General Hatcher had a knack for explaining technical details so even I could understand them.

abunaitoo
12-28-2020, 04:38 PM
I know I have that book someplace.
Have many book I haven't gotten to.
Just buy them when I see them for a good price.
Books are great.
Nothing like holding, and reading, a good book.
Last one I finished was "A Dogs Way Home".
Good story.