PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Carrying in WA after my CPL: What now?

VariableRecall
12-14-2020, 06:33 PM
As many of you well know, I'm a young, recent firearms owner that has received his Concealed Pistol License in Washington State.

I have a S&W Model 10-5 with a 4 inch barrel. It's not as Concealed Carry friendly as a snubby or a more compact semi, but I knew that when I purchased it. I have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Holster in Size 2, which does a very good job of keeping the profile of the revolver evened out. The holster sticks out about an inch from most jackets in my collection if I wear it.

While the holster is comfortable and makes for an easy draw, I would not call it wholly concealed. So, I honestly have NOT carried my firearm on my person besides inside of my house or the range.
This leads me to the questions I have regarding Concealed and Open Carry in Washington State.

From what I can tell from the state's website, WA is technically an Open Carry state. Is that true?
In my honest opinion, I don't exactly want to test that fact when I've got a lot of life ahead of me and I really don't want to become a bad example of firearms ownership.
My off-campus apartment lease has no stipulations regarding firearms, but I REALLY don't want to be the guy that becomes the reason why they would make restrictions due to my negligence.
Also, I know for a fact that firearms are not allowed on my university's campus, so I know that I should steer clear from there if I'm ever planning on CCing in there or any business that has such restrictions.
I'm currently living in Eastern Washington, but other than law officers, I've yet to see anyone else open carrying in my area.
It feels weird to say this, but even IF it would be perfectly legal to open or concealed carry, I'd still feel quite awkward having my firearm on my person outside of my home or the range. I really don't want anyone else around me to feel uncomfortable with the fact I'm legally carrying one.

Let's say someone were to get antsy, and call the police despite the fact I would be carrying in a legally allowed area. What would be the best way to resolve the situation? The awkwardness of the situation is escalated considering an officer would know there's an armed person in the area that they are called into. However, taking the initiative to disarm myself temporarily if I were on-foot would not only mean revealing the firearm to everyone else around me, but also could escalate the situation as well.

I'm thinking my best bet for that one is to remain calm and not expose the firearm to the public, and just keep my hands where an officer can see them throughout the kerfuffle.

I know full well that I shouldn't be going anywhere WITH a concealed firearm that wouldn't go without one. Still, are there any places in general that are open-carry or concealed carry friendly? Or, at least, most likely to be permissible with the idea?

I'd love to get some answers and tips on this one.

I've yet to try out an IWB holster, but I've yet to find one that is compatible with revolvers. There are soft IWB's out there that are for semis of a similar size, but I don't know if it would fit my revolver to begin with.

Hossfly
12-14-2020, 06:50 PM
I live in La. and don’t go anywhere without my firearm. If a sign is posted legally at entrance I just don’t go in there. But it has to be a legally posted, not hidden where its not conspicuous. If your carrying concealed and its not printing so someone can’t see it, it ain’t none of their business. If your caught in a situation that is posted and you just forgot they may ask you to leave, then I would leave. And never pull your weapon out and show anyone unless it a true LEO. I’ve been stopped for speeding and showed my permit along with my DL, no problems, and they didn’t want to see the weapon either.

gpidaho
12-14-2020, 07:18 PM
It looks to me that you are familiar with Washington state law so my advice to you is stay in accordance with these statutes and carry your weapon in a manner that you are comfortable with. The newness will soon wear off and having a firearm on your person will not feel much different than having a cell phone along. I share your reluctance to open carry in a city or crowded events. There's just no reason to make others uncomfortable or portray yourself as a want a be tough guy. Hunting, out hiking in the woods or around the ranch open carry has it's place. You are are quite correct in your assumption that your weapon should remain holstered and your hands out of your pockets when interacting with the police. I know of no better way to be shot than taking ANYTHING out of your pocket quickly in that situation. When the officer asks if there is anything on your person that he should know about, answer truly. They know the law and if you are within your rights , they are cool with it. Remember, they know the reason folks carry, they do the same every day. Gp

Der Gebirgsjager
12-14-2020, 07:45 PM
It sounds to me like you've got your head screwed on correctly about the situation. I think all new CHL holders are nervous at first, and feel like there's a flashing neon sign over their head that says, "He's carrying a gun!" with a big arrow pointing right at them.

Common sense must prevail, and you must do your best to carry unobtrusively, but it's nice to know that if someone somehow spots your weapon and summons security or law enforcement that you have your permit to justify carrying it. You must never carry without the permit. One State south, in Oregon, it's taken for granted and treated as such that you do not have a permit if it isn't on your person or very close at hand. One thing you can do to counter some of your anxiety is to experiment with different holsters and carrying methods. Like Oregon, Washington has a long season of bad and wet weather, and a shoulder holster disappears well under a winter coat. I often carry a full sized semi-auto in an inside-the-pants holster. As the belt and pants pass around the outside of the pistol it does a lot to conceal the lump caused by it's presence, and to pull the butt closer to the body.

I'd be cautious about the appendix carry, as should the pistol discharge....well.....! But, it does conceal well and provide rapid access. Another to avoid is the small-of-the-back carry. If you are knocked down or slip on the ice and land flat on your back you may injure your spine. Crossdraw isn't that good an idea either, because if you are involved in a scuffle the butt of the weapon is conveniently located for removal by your assailant.

I got my first CHL in 1966, experimented with various carry systems, have a huge box of 2nd hand holsters to prove it, and learned that my needs were almost always met by strong side beltline carry, in or out of the waist band, and shoulder carry. As for open carry, it may well be legal in Washington, as it is mostly legal here, but unless actively hunting I wouldn't do it. Times have and are changing and the Lefties look for reasons to make trouble for gun owners. Sure, if you have your CHL you can justify possession, but why experience the hassle? I'm glad to hear that you obtained your license, and also happy to see that you're giving the situation some thought.

As time goes by you'll doubtless acquire more and different handguns requiring different holsters, but you'll eventually find that the carry methods remain basic, and holsters can be expensive.

DG

I consider this to be one of the best because it is very versatile. Inside the pants with a clip, outside the pants with belt loops, wear left or right side, has no front or back as the pistol can be inserted either way. Best part, they make them for either semi0-autos or revolvers, and they're usually $20 or less.

VariableRecall
12-14-2020, 08:09 PM
It sounds to me like you've got your head screwed on correctly about the situation. I think all new CHL holders are nervous at first, and feel like there's a flashing neon sign over their head that says, "He's carrying a gun!" with a big arrow pointing right at them.

Common sense must prevail, and you must do your best to carry unobtrusively, but it's nice to know that if someone somehow spots your weapon and summons security or law enforcement that you have your permit to justify carrying it. You must never carry without the permit. One State south, in Oregon, it's taken for granted and treated as such that you do not have a permit if it isn't on your person or very close at hand. One thing you can do to counter some of your anxiety is to experiment with different holsters and carrying methods. Like Oregon, Washington has a long season of bad and wet weather, and a shoulder holster disappears well under a winter coat. I often carry a full sized semi-auto in an inside-the-pants holster. As the belt and pants pass around the outside of the pistol it does a lot to conceal the lump caused by it's presence, and to pull the butt closer to the body.

As time goes by you'll doubtless acquire more and different handguns requiring different holsters, but you'll eventually find that the carry methods remain basic, and holsters can be expensive.

DG

I do keep my CPL card with me in my wallet any time I go out, so I'm able to present it at any time, just like the insurance for my car.

I also have a Fobus holster made out of Kydex with an adjustable angle option that I use for the range since it has a bit of stand-off from the body which is much appreciated when it gets warm after a good amount of rounds through it.

A shoulder holster is a classic and tempting option, but the prices on them are kind of ridiculous. I think I might try a low-cost shoulder holster to see if it works for me. Either way, looks like I need to experiment a bit.

I believe that I probably won't feel comfortable with CCing until I find a method of concealment that I can spend my entire workday at home wearing it without it intruding or being obvious.

I have spent a day or two at home with my Model 10 holstered with snap caps (And live ammo in my pocket just in case) and carrying it in the Uncle Mike's holster atop my right hand jeans pocket, and that worked quite well. I could quickly adjust the piece to transition from sitting to standing, and it never got in the way of household chores either.

VariableRecall
12-14-2020, 08:43 PM
It looks to me that you are familiar with Washington state law so my advice to you is stay in accordance with these statutes and carry your weapon in a manner that you are comfortable with. The newness will soon wear off and having a firearm on your person will not feel much different than having a cell phone along. I share your reluctance to open carry in a city or crowded events. There's just no reason to make others uncomfortable or portray yourself as a want a be tough guy. Gp

That's exactly what I feel as well. I'm fairly shy and not confrontational in the slightest. The last thing I'd want to do is interfere with someone's day.

Thanks to my CPL, I can have my firearm loaded and in my vehicle, so, if I would like to enter somewhere that isn't CC friendly, I could stow it in my ride while I'm inside.

I have a fairly cheapo plastic pistol safe that has a combination lock, for a little extra security for the duration of my absence. If the worst were to happen and someone would try to get access to my vehicle, they would have to break through the safe or try and clip off the steel cable attached to its body.

Bazoo
12-14-2020, 08:44 PM
There is no reason you can't effectively conceal a model 10. Check out azula holsters. I've not had one but they sure seem good for a real reasonable price. A pancake holster conceals real good. I prefer open top but that's a personal choice.

I carry a 1911 in a desantis dual carry II IWB. I removed the thumb break. Not sure if they make that model for a smith 10. I like being able to adjust the angle though.

As far as carrying, yeah everyone is nervous when they start. Each states laws are somewhat different. When approached my an officer the first thing you should say is "Hi my name is X and for my safety and yours I want to let you know I am carrying a concealed weapon". Cops are used to dealing with 2 types, law abiding citizens and criminals. They will very much appreciate you being up front about it from the very start than for them to notice the bulge after a few minutes conversation.

As far as open carry. Start at the gun store, when you're comfortable. I carry both open and concealed but mostly concealed. I'd rather not draw attention to myself.

quilbilly
12-14-2020, 09:02 PM
What De.G. said! Yes, our fair state is open carry but I don't recommend it except in the field. I needed my concealed carry permit one time over 40 years ago right after I got it and that was enough to keep it on my person permanently even if not carrying a pistol. I have even heard the opinion that the permit applies to larger knives like my folding hunting knife

CarlMc
12-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Dave Workman answered this question with a booklet called: "Washington State gun rights and responsibilities"
He has a web site you can buy his book from, but I wasn't able to find it.
His book is listed on Amazon and other places if you don't mind used. His latest edition doesn't include I1639, but the rest is absolutely outstanding and a must read for any WA state gun owner.
Everything else you hear here and elsewhere is second and third hand. Dave dives into each and every tidbit of the law, analyzes it, tells you what's been tested in court and what's not been tested.
Any WA state gun owner must have a copy of this book.
If you don't, make sure you are a member over at waguns.org; Dave has his own section where he keeps the members up to date with all the news and what it really means.
https://www.waguns.org/viewforum.php?f=59&sid=c8ee2eae4f504f8b1da110f3279bcdab

Three44s
12-16-2020, 05:05 AM
quillbilly,

A few years ago our CCW permits were reduced to CPL permits. The “W” stood for weapon, while the “P” stands for pistol only.

Best regards

Three44s

MrWolf
12-16-2020, 08:55 AM
When I first started carrying four years ago when I moved to a free state (unless you know someone getting a concealed carry in NJ is impossible). I bought an Overland (bison I think ) concealed carry vest. Was a bit expensive but looks great and nobody can tell what you are carrying. I used one of the non slipholsters for added trigger protection (first time carrying remember). Point is it buildt my confidence and now I do not even think about it carrying in the vest or in my front bottom cargo pants, IWB, or even OWB. We are a Constitutional carry state so open or concealed. I do carry in Virginia so am careful about printing but no where near as paranoid when I first started. I can wear that vest ten months out of the year if I wanted to out here. Good luck.
Ron

fn1889m
12-17-2020, 11:47 PM
You have a great revolver. Nothing wrong with a 4 inch 10-5. You should be able to pick up a longer coat or a wool/Pendleton over shirt that will cover the bottom of the holster and revolver. I live in WA also. It’s winter here. You won’t look out of place. (Also, look at getting a holster specifically designed for CC that rides an inch or two higher.)

Bazoo
12-18-2020, 12:10 AM
IWB conceals better of course but don't forget that most people have their eyes glued to the idiot box they carry. My wife and I was open carrying in the grocery store once. She had a hot pink kydex holster for a Ruger LCP. We check out and the clerk girl said, I like your phone case.

VariableRecall
12-18-2020, 01:30 AM
IWB conceals better of course but don't forget that most people have their eyes glued to the idiot box they carry. My wifeand I was open carrying in the grocery store once. She had a hot pink kydex holster for a Ruger LCP. We check out and the clerk girl said, I like you phone case.

Hmmmm yes. Certainly just a fashionable phone case!

2A-Jay
12-18-2020, 02:21 AM
There are a few tips I can offer you as a fellow WA CPL holder. As said IWB during the Late Fall and Late Winter/early Spring months when you would be wearing a heavy/medium weight Jacket or coat. Keep your Drivers license and CPL in a buttoned top shirt pocket instead of you Pants Pocket. If you are pulled over while Driving, Hands at 10 and two on the Steering wheel after turning on the Dome light, roll the drivers side window down, put you hands back on the wheel and stay that way as the Officer approaches ( he has already run your license Plate. In WA the fact you have a CPL comes up when he/she runs your plate. When he asks you for you license tell him or her you have a CPL and that you are carrying (tell him or her what and where you are carrying (that includes in glove box/center console or on your person. If the officer has no reason to have you step out of the vehicle IE Drunk Driving or Warrants they will tell you how they want to handle it. If they are just giving you a ticket of some sort they will likely just cite you then let you go on your way Just remember hands on wheel until the officer tells you otherwise. I carry everywhere I go. In if the premises have to post "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED the Business can tell yo leave if you don't leave the business can have you removed from the business by Law Enforcement Schools) are all NO WEAPONS ZONES (Technically even locked in you car or truck).

Remember MOST of WA is a Gun Friendly State (so long as you stay away from KING COUNTY AND Seattle.)

Wayne Smith
12-18-2020, 08:36 AM
I carry in the office (I'm a Psychologist) and wear a dress vest and a light Commander 1911 IWB and a pocket watch and chain. People focus on the watch chain and ask if it is really a watch and don't look beyond. I've been doing this for over 10 years and don't even think about it and am not conscious of it most of the time.

Ickisrulz
12-18-2020, 08:49 AM
IMO the most uncomfortable way to carry is IWB. It is horrible.

VariableRecall
12-18-2020, 04:06 PM
IMO the most uncomfortable way to carry is IWB. It is horrible.

Well, I've yet to try that method of carry, or the use of a shoulder holster yet. I can see the benefits of a shoulder holster since you can wear it with any type of pants. A vest or suit jacket can work to conceal it if you wanted as well.

I would say my Uncle Mike's OWB hip holster is very comfortable and has an less "threatening" profile in comparison to my Kydex Holster.

Here's two photos of me wearing it, one in a neutral pose,

and another with my arms at my shoulders in a "worst case" de-concealment.
Not sure why they turned out sideways. I think that it's present but doesn't really draw attention to itself.
What's your favorite way to CC?

gwpercle
12-18-2020, 06:50 PM
Check out Sneaky Pete Day Planner , I-Phone cases and other "sneaky" ways to conceal a firearm . I have a Sneaky Day Planner that is just the ticket . Get creative with how you carry ...there is more than IWB and OWB .

Louisiana has always been an open carry state with NO permits required .
The small business I ran for 40 years I allowed open or concealed carry... there are even some restaurants that give open carry discounts on your bill .
Louisiana isn't like the rest of the country ...yet .
Gary

FLINTNFIRE
12-18-2020, 07:36 PM
Wear shirts that are longer same with jackets or coats , no pistol exposed just like no plumbers crack , easy fix , I to hate IWB , I prefer a belt holster and I carry full size , no bulges or anything to show it is there , quality leather form fitted holster , belt snug and again a quality leather belt , loose fitting long t shirt or my german surplus jacket .

I remember our concealed weapons license I had one , gone it is only for a pistol now , I believe it is supposed to be on your person not in glove box and if you exit your vehicle it has to be hidden from sight and vehicle locked .

megasupermagnum
12-18-2020, 07:53 PM
You get over worrying about carrying in time. I swear the more you open carry, the more other people do. I normally conceal, but if I'm about to go somewhere like the range, or hunting, just wandering in general, you bet I open carry. Next day there is a good chance I'll find someone also open carrying. You can beat the reasons for any carry method to death. To me I conceal most of the time for one simple reason. I don't want those who do not like firearms to be uncomfortable. As weak as that sounds, you are always at a huge advantage when people like you.

IWB is worth trying. I have yet to meet anyone who ever did it for more than a short while before giving it up. I've never known anyone who carries IWB every day for years on end. I must have given it a month or two, and 3 holsters before I realize I hated it. If I'm wearing jeans, I use an OWB holster strong side. Sometimes I'll pocket carry. I made a decision to choose holsters that worked with the clothes I already wore. I wasn't about to become "vest guy" at 21 years old just so I could conceal a handgun. Most of the year I wear nothing but a T shirt, and there are holsters that allow you to conceal medium frame revolvers under a T shirt. I far prefer my 3" SP101, but I can just about conceal my 5" barrel GP100. The bottom of the holster shows when bending over. A 4" K frame is doable.

VariableRecall
12-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Check out Sneaky Pete Day Planner , I-Phone cases and other "sneaky" ways to conceal a firearm . I have a Sneaky Day Planner that is just the ticket . Get creative with how you carry ...there is more than IWB and OWB .

Louisiana has always been an open carry state with NO permits required .
The small business I ran for 40 years I allowed open or concealed carry... there are even some restaurants that give open carry discounts on your bill .
Louisiana isn't like the rest of the country ...yet .
Gary

Those Sneaky Pete Holsters are quite nice! A little more oriented to subcompacts and compacts but they are quite stylish!

12-18-2020, 08:06 PM
Get your legal questions answered from your State Police or similar agency. Most frequently I carried my model 10 (20 yrs. +) stuck inside my pants waist under the belt. It got so natural I would frequently forget it altogether. Do RIG it every day before you go to bed. When working plain clothes, I would wear a shoulder rig depending on what was called for, for that day. Concealed means concealed, so act accordingly. Private property rules are the purview of the owner, so do as requested. If this means not patronizing the joint, don't give him your money, and go somewhere else. Good luck and use your head. You'll be fine.

MrWolf
12-18-2020, 08:22 PM
Wearing a nice vest during cooler months is an easy way to get used to daily carry. Plenty of nice ones to choose from. Everyone is different and thankfully you get to choose what suits you. Some of those vests are pretty sharp for a younger guy. Good luck and do what YOU are comfortable with, not what a bunch of older folk think.

VariableRecall
12-18-2020, 08:43 PM
Get your legal questions answered from your State Police or similar agency. Most frequently I carried my model 10 (20 yrs. +) stuck inside my pants waist under the belt. It got so natural I would frequently forget it altogether. Do RIG it every day before you go to bed.

What exactly do you mean by RIG? Take it out of the holster and secure it?

Bazoo
12-18-2020, 09:49 PM
MSM, well here I am. I IWB carry daily, have for years. About 3 years or so. I carry a 1911 A1 in a Desantis dual carry II with the thumb snap removed. It took some adjustment and trial and error to get comfortable. I carry it pretty butt forward similar to the galco fletch holsters angle. And I carry it at the 3:30 position. I find it more comfortable than OWB so far because I've been able to adjust my angle to suit me. If I can find or make an OWB holster to match the angle then it'll probably be more comfortable. Honestly I forget about it most of the time.

CarlMc
12-18-2020, 09:57 PM
Get your legal questions answered from your State Police or similar agency.

I have to say this, but police are some of the least informed when it comes to gun laws. Truly sad. You pretty much have to be a gun guy to have a decent chance of remembering all the laws. Even worse when various citizen's initiatives with stupid authors confusing the hell out of things.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010
at the top click the 9.41.040 to get to the next section. It goes for quite awhile

Bazoo
12-18-2020, 10:01 PM
I personally don't open carry much unless I'm with others also open carrying. First is it's just easier to let my shirt fall over it. And second is I don't want the attention. Be ready to answer questions if you open carry. I've had everything from "what's that a 9mm?" to "I want to carry a gun, how do I get a license" to "are you a cop?". The wife had someone ask her once "why are you carrying that gun , you afraid someone's gonna get ya?". Had an old man come up to me once and say "you know your hammer is back", I replied "the safeties on".

Then there is the folks that used to run the gun store in town. They insisted open carry while legal, would land you in a confrontation with the police. They said there used to be an old guy in town that always carried a peacemaker. So the cops couldn't stop him because it was legal, but they asked him to look at his gun. When he produced it for show and tell they arrested him for brandishing. I don't know how true that is, Or the details.

The point is, open carry will draw the people of all sorts. Though I've never had someone scream "he has a gun!"

I also don't have any bumper stickers on my car or wear gun relocated clothing.

megasupermagnum
12-18-2020, 11:27 PM
MSM, well here I am. I IWB carry daily, have for years. About 3 years or so. I carry a 1911 A1 in a Desantis dual carry II with the thumb snap removed. It took some adjustment and trial and error to get comfortable. I carry it pretty butt forward similar to the galco fletch holsters angle. And I carry it at the 3:30 position. I find it more comfortable than OWB so far because I've been able to adjust my angle to suit me. If I can find or make an OWB holster to match the angle then it'll probably be more comfortable. Honestly I forget about it most of the time.

My guess is you are much skinnier than me. My body is perfect for a revolver OWB, it is like they were molded just for me.

As for comments when open carrying. If I had to put a number on it, I would probably say I do it 10-20 times a year. Not very often. I can't remember a single comment I have ever gotten. Seeing others open carry, I can't recall anyone ever being asked anything either. While not common in rural MN, open carry is very much accepted here. You probably would not get the same result in Minneapolis.

Bazoo
12-18-2020, 11:33 PM
VR, you can try IWB carry by making a simple holster from a string. It's called an OSS string holster. I looked but couldn't find a video or pictures with my limited searching capacity with the phone. Long story short you take a piece of shoe string or cord about 8" long. Tie the ends with an overhand knot to make a loop. You pull the loop behind your belt and back through itself so it attaches to your belt. Then the resultant loop is your holster. You stick your barrel through that and down into your waistband. You experiment with the initial size of loop so the resultant holster loop is small enough that the cylinder doesn't go into it.

It's a good way for an expedient holster. The OSS used it so if they had to ditch their gun they didn't have a holster on which would give them away if caught.

Bazoo
12-18-2020, 11:36 PM
I am fat sir. I Never looked, so it's possible I have it tucked behind a fat roll unknowingly.

VariableRecall
12-18-2020, 11:44 PM
My guess is you are much skinnier than me. My body is perfect for a revolver OWB, it is like they were molded just for me.

As for comments when open carrying. If I had to put a number on it, I would probably say I do it 10-20 times a year. Not very often. I can't remember a single comment I have ever gotten. Seeing others open carry, I can't recall anyone ever being asked anything either. While not common in rural MN, open carry is very much accepted here. You probably would not get the same result in Minneapolis.

I'm 6 foot 1, 270lbs. Definitely want to lose some weight but I'm probably going to be bulky rest of my life. I'd say my current OWB holster fits me nicely, but the length as you see from the two photos that I've posted earlier that it sticks out a bit. I don't think I would pay much attention to it but the scary parts of the Model 10 are almost completely concealed under the holster.

Here's my Model 10's profile outside my body but inside the holster. almost the whole revolver is sheathed in the holster, which is exactly what I want out of a holster that provides protection to the piece inside.

Bazoo
12-19-2020, 12:31 AM
Those uncle mikes holsters are better than nothing but they suck for comfort compared to a fitted leather holster. The weight of the gun is not distributed well with the UM holster, and it flops around too much. More butt forward cant is much easier to conceal too, the UMs is too vertical.

megasupermagnum
12-19-2020, 12:59 AM
Yes, those holsters are more outdoor style, meant for open carry, they hang low. I like holsters that slightly cant the butt forward, and ride higher. I like the cylinder of the revolver right over the belt, that is where it fits me perfect. My legs are bigger, and I have some love handles, but I have a cylinder sized spot at the belt line. I'm 6'5" 315 pounds, ex football player. Not full on fat, but not thin at all. I have a spot just behind my hip that is perfect. I'm left handed, I would call it about 8 or 8:30. That would be 3:30 or 4 for a right hander. I think I was born with a spot molded just for a revolver. I carry my Sig P220 too, but my favorite holster for that had a thick layer inside, so it is sticking nearly 1/4" off the belt. My revolvers I like to hug real tight.

VariableRecall
12-19-2020, 01:10 AM
Those uncle mikes holsters are better than nothing but they suck for comfort compared to a fitted leather holster. The weight of the gun is not distributed well with the UM holster, and it flops around too much. More butt forward cant is much easier to conceal too, the UMs is too vertical.

I can agree with the vertical orientation being a little uncomfortable. For $20 instead of $70 or something it's doing a great job! The Fobus Holster that I have is the type with a belt-loop and it's clearly designed for duty belts instead of pants belts, but I can take the shifting around for a little extra stand-off when it gets hot.
I'd agree about the butt-forward cant as well. The Belt-loop piece can be oriented in any direction you could very well want. It's a tad oversized since it could fit Rugers and other slightly larger revolvers, but I think it was a good purchase. It's a little more competition holster than concealment.

Bazoo
12-19-2020, 01:13 AM
I'm 6'5" and 360. When I was 270, I was pretty buff. Lord for those days again, but I'd had to have missed a lot of fine meals, and that ain't something that suits my fancy.

VR, I gave it some thought. You could use your current Uncle mikes holster for a temporary IWB holster experiment by attaching it to your pants inside via safety pins. That way you could experiment a bit in your home and see if IWB suits you before purchasing.

Another thing you can do, which I have done with my wife's uncle mikes holster. Put the holster on a string for a bandoleer holster. I used a rifle sling but you can substitute paracord. All you'd do is find a length of cord that goes over your head and shoulder and put it through the holsters belt loop, tie the ends together to make a large loop. It flops some but it will give you an idea if you like that mode of carry. You could also use it as an alternate under coat holster to a shoulder rig.

Murphy
12-19-2020, 01:31 AM
I can't answer the original post in regards to the law's of the state in question. I can say this though. I've carried handguns on and off for close to 50 years now (started in my senior year of high school). You'll hear the term 'holster box' and a whole lot of us have them, if they've been carrying long enough.

Several things dictate how well one can conceal a handgun on the person. The handgun itself of course being the first issue. Some of the small, compact 380's & Micro 9's are extremely easy for most to conceal. Where as a 2" J frame 38 Special would stand out like a sore thumb. Next to size is the season of the year. Handguns I can easily conceal during winter months, there's no way I could during summer months. We dress around our handgun to keep it concealed. And lastly, we're all configured a bit differently. A person of size (this means love handles hanging over your belt), can tuck a small handgun inside the waist band and the excess body size covers it. Thus the holster box. One goes through numerous holsters trying to find what works best for them. Good luck.

Murphy

Bazoo
12-19-2020, 01:54 AM
That's exactly right Murphy. I've been carrying concealed something like 12 years. Tried many different things.

I've carried smith and wesson 4006, 642 j frame, glock 22, 1911 in both 5" and commander, keltec pf9, bersa thunder 380, Ruger GP 100 in 357 and Super blackhawk 4 3/4" 44 magnum. The latter, I made a pancake holster for and it conceals okay for a fat man.

I've tried IWB, OWB, small of the back, and pocket carry. I've carried in a fobus paddle holster, galco combatmaster, several IWB holsters, Springfield armory brand copy of the galco, cowboy Cheyenne holster. The pf9 had a clip like a boot clip so no holster needed.

It took me a while to figure what works for me, and what's comfortable. I find 3:00-3:30 more comfortable than anywhere else. I also find it more concealable with a bit more butt forward cant than most holsters have.

megasupermagnum
12-19-2020, 12:25 PM
I almost forgot about the belt. For light guns, you can often get away with a standard belt. In your case, I think you will benefit greatly from a gun belt. Check out 30dollargunbelt. That is a brand. The $30 leather belt from them would work well. I have the slightly more expensive steel core model, and do not regret it at all. There is very little sag, even with full size N frames and Redhawks. The extra width also spreads the load. You don't have to cinch them so tight. They really are worth the money.

Bazoo
12-19-2020, 03:43 PM
I agree, I am wearing a galco cop belt. I need to replace it as it's soft.