PDA

View Full Version : Here comes winter...

375supermag
12-14-2020, 01:30 PM
Hi...
I live in southcentral Pennsylvania and winter has finally arrived.
Yesterday it was 58°F and windy. Overnight it began to rain and cooled off to the upper 30s with heavy rain. About 9:30 this morning it transitioned over to snow and it is starting to pile up. By noon, it was about an inch deep and it has covered the roads in front of The Estate.
Had the Labs out for a little run and they just loved the snow...me, not so much.

Wednesday the professional weather liars are predicting a snow event that may reach 2-3 feet of snow with high winds, drifting snow and widespread power outages.
Basically, the end of civilization as we know it.
My wife who has multiple weeks of vacation available to use, is stressing out about how she is going to get to work on Wednesday. Me??? I am retired and ain't going anywhere on Wednesday. My biggest concern is when I will decide to start running the snowblower. I just might stay in bed Wednesday...

RU shooter
12-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Hope it stays over on your side ! Weather channel is claiming 3-5 inch for us in south western Pa.

nseries
12-14-2020, 02:12 PM
I'm not ready for that!!!

Winger Ed.
12-14-2020, 02:25 PM
We had some sort of front come through yesterday and it got down to about 40.
I've had enough winter and cold weather for this year.
I'm ready for Summer to come back.

And there's hope.
After next week, we'll be getting closer to Summer every day, instead of farther away from it.

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Last Wednesday - Friday hit 68 in the afternoon. I sat on patio with a cocktail. Almost a foot of snow over the weekend. This morning's low was 14. High to be 35. Overcast. Winter is already here.

Deakota57
12-14-2020, 02:55 PM
We had mild weather the last few years. I think the last big snow we had in Greene County was in 87. That year we got 43 inches, snow drifts where as high across the roads as high as the locust post. Hope it isn’t as bad for you said, stay safe.

BigAlofPa.
12-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Weds-Thursday .Might be a bigger snow fall. My son went to put the plow on the ATV. He discovered the plow mount fell off. So the boys will be shoveling. I can't do much with my leg to help. I never thought recovery would take so long. Getting old is not for sissies.

bangerjim
12-14-2020, 03:48 PM
Yes it approaches. Here in the desert of AZ we are seeing highs in the low to mid 60's and lows down in the mid 30's.

That is "winter" in our neck of the woods.

Oh...............and normally mostly clear blue skies!

It is supposed to be a really rough one for the eastern US this season, per several weather sources and the Old Farmer's Almanac.

I will be right out there with you...................shoveling sunshine! HA.....ha! [smilie=s:

jdfoxinc
12-14-2020, 03:53 PM
Going to snow bird at my sister in laws in Tucson is looking better and better.

FISH4BUGS
12-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Here in NH we start to think a real snowstorm is anything over a foot.
Anything less and it is just a dusting.
Last storm was 8"....hardly worth mentioning.
We peacefully co-exist with winter up here.

gnostic
12-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Last night it went down to -7 and I have about 4'' of snow in my driveway. I'm at 6300 ft elevation, we get 100'' of snow and -26 degrees. It gets so cold it makes my eyeballs hurt. I'd crawl over broken glass to be back in LA....

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-14-2020, 06:11 PM
Last night it went down to -7 and I have about 4'' of snow in my driveway. I'm at 6300 ft elevation, we get 100'' of snow and -26 degrees. It gets so cold it makes my eyeballs hurt. I'd crawl over broken glass to be back in LA....

LA? Louisiana, Lower Alabama, Los Alamos, surely not Los Angeles.

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-14-2020, 06:13 PM
We had mild weather the last few years. I think the last big snow we had in Greene County was in 87. That year we got 43inches. That was bad enough. Hope it isn’t as bad for you said, stay safe.

Year before last we had 48" in two days. Took me 4 days to clear sidewalk and parking spot. I don't move so fast now that I'm past 66. Been dreaming of a snow blower for Christmas.

375supermag
12-14-2020, 06:18 PM
Hi...
We only had one decent snow last year here in southcentral Pennsylvania.
Might have been 6-8"...really don't remember.
The big one is apparently on its way for Wednesday...snowblower is tested, gassed up and ready.
I will test run the kerosene heater tomorrow just in case we have a power outage.

We get one of these epic end of the world snowstorms every few years. Civilization always seems to bounce back in a day or two.

FISH4BUGS
12-14-2020, 06:41 PM
Hi...
We only had one decent snow last year here in southcentral Pennsylvania.
Might have been 6-8"...really don't remember.
The big one is apparently on its way for Wednesday...snowblower is tested, gassed up and ready.
I will test run the kerosene heater tomorrow just in case we have a power outage.

We get one of these epic end of the world snowstorms every few years. Civilization always seems to bounce back in a day or two.
Yup....we will probably be on the northern edge of the same storm as it passes out to sea south of us on the MA coastline and over the Cape. 6" or so for us.
A mere dusting...... :)

jlm223
12-14-2020, 06:45 PM
Well I am in Indiana, just got the snow blower out and fired it up and let it run for a bit, just wanted to be ready!

cwtebay
12-14-2020, 09:27 PM
-11 this morning. 6.5" fresh snow. I'm loving this, truly sick of seeing new migrant idiots complain about the roads and weather. Hope it's -45 tomorrow with 30" of fresh snow!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Texas by God
12-14-2020, 11:49 PM
Winter comes and goes every few days here between December and March- if it comes. I love this time of year.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

samari46
12-15-2020, 01:29 AM
Supposed to go to about 30-35 degrees overnight here in Louisiana. Unusual to get that cold this early in winter. used to be swimming in the pool at Christmas. Still have a couple work coats from the job in plastic bags just in case. Frank

MrWolf
12-15-2020, 07:25 AM
We had snow yesterday morning, maybe an inch if that. 3/4 mile down the mountain and nothing. Got a picture of the snow line on our mountain. Looks nice. Expected to get 12-18" tomorrow and Thursday. Normally I would have just made sure had enough food and stayed in for a week or two as I am retired. Girlfriend moved in this year and is off tomorrow and has to work Thursday. Spent yesterday getting backhoe and such ready so I can get her down to the main road 3/4 away. Fun. Good luck folks.

RU shooter
12-15-2020, 10:52 AM
You down around the Berkeley springs area Mr Wolf ? Pretty country

rbuck351
12-15-2020, 12:01 PM
I live in Eureka MT 10 miles from the Canadian border And we have an inch or so of snow and temps in the 20s to 30s range.

375supermag
12-16-2020, 12:27 PM
The apocalypse has begun.
It started snowing just before 11:00AM...weather liars are going crazy with dire predictions for the destruction that will ensue. And as we all know, dire predictions are the very worst kind.
I am trying to control my "excitement" in anticipation of shoveling snow and running the snow blower tomorrow morning.
Not much sense in doing anything today with the high winds they are predicting...anything I clear today will be drifted over again by morning. I will just wait until it ends and clear it once and hopefully that will be enough.
Any help cheerfully offered won't be refused though I doubt any help cheerful or otherwise will be forthcoming.

RU shooter
12-16-2020, 12:58 PM
Started here at 10:30 about an inch so far roads were getting slick already when I took the wife to work just now it was 26 F when it started . And your right the weather people on the idiot box are just giddy since they actually have something to talk about .

MrWolf
12-16-2020, 01:25 PM
You down around the Berkeley springs area Mr Wolf ? Pretty country

About 30 minutes from it straight up Rt 9. I much prefer where I am near Morgan County but in Hampshire. It is beautiful to me out here. Here is a picture from about a mile from my place. I am in the snow area.

gnostic
12-16-2020, 07:18 PM
LA? Louisiana, Lower Alabama, Los Alamos, surely not Los Angeles.

Unless you live in LA. CA. you won't get it. The weather, the beach and smell of the ocean, riding a sportbike up the coast highway at 3am. Most of what you see on the news doesn't effect the people that live there. The lot my house, that I foolishly sold, has 33 trees on it. Don't believe what you see on the news, it's BS like everything else they have to say....

tankgunner59
12-16-2020, 07:47 PM
It's been in the 20's this week here in West Central Illinois. I want to know where OUR snow is!

BigAlofPa.
12-16-2020, 08:22 PM
My son got the plow mounted. I plowed twice today. Trying to keep the snow they push over when plowing the street at bay. Our cars are on the side walk for now.

375supermag
12-17-2020, 12:24 PM
Hi...
Well...the latest end of the world snow storm has come and gone here in southcentral Pennsylvania.
What was initially predicted to be an apocalyptic disaster of biblical proportions ended up just being a middling snow storm.
We got about 8-10" depending on where I measure it.
My son got up at daybreak and ran the snowblower, clearing the driveway and walkways around The Estate. I went down and helped clear off the vehicles and shoveled the steps in the front and rear of the house. We both worked together to clear the deck. Took about an hour altogether.
The township came down the cul de sac about 9:00 AM and thoughtfully dumped about two feet deep three feet wide hard packed snow at the end of my driveway. My son went back out and cleared that in fairly quick order.

Looks like we survived the latest end of civilization snow storm and none the worse for it.

BigAlofPa.
12-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Were done snow removal too. Took about 4 hours. I plowed the whole block out. Our block is the only one with a clear street lol.

BJK
12-17-2020, 02:15 PM
We're in the fringes of it now (central Maine). Have maybe 1.5" of extremely light fluffy snow (17°F) and it appears to be easing up. The wind is starting now. Good, it'll blow it off the roofs so that it doesn't get any deeper up there.

We're ready for a power outage but I would be extremely surprised if we got one.

Deakota57
12-17-2020, 02:29 PM
8” here in Greene Co. Pa.

dogmower
12-17-2020, 02:36 PM
I used to live in Blairsville, PA, kind of up in the mountains (hills, we'd call them in Arizona). One Nor'easter blew in in late march, 1998. No snow on the ground when I went to bed. When I got up to go work, I dropped a yardstick in the snow and it disappeared! We got 38 inches of snow in14 hours.
When I lived in Guys Mills, PA (about an hour south of Erie), we AVERAGED 13 feet of snow per year, with a peak year (?2002) getting over 20 feet.
Now I live in Tucson, AZ. It's 68 and sunny and has been for the last few weeks. In another month or two, it'll start getting warmer. I'm NEVER moving back to the cold unless I have no other choice.

Shawlerbrook
12-17-2020, 02:37 PM
About 30” here at 1700’ in Central NYS. The NH Boomer 40 with blower and pusher took care of it all.