PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Selling the Star and a Lyman 45

dverna
12-14-2020, 01:00 PM
I am looking for opinions.

Here are my circumstances:
I will be reducing my reloading to about 6-8000 metallic rounds a year.
Normally size/lube 1000 bullets at a time.
Most of it will be cast .38 Spl. +P and 9mm. Lesser amounts of .40 and .45ACP
I may play around with cast in .223, .30/30, .308 but do not currently shoot cast in rifles
I am downsizing from a 250-300 sqft set up. One bench as been moved to the basement and is shown below. It will be the only bench, and I am using the In-Line QC system. I have two rolling tool chests (18x45) for storage of miscellaneous reloading stuff.

I currently have a Star and two Lyman 45's. I have no desire to PC or Hi-Tek as I do not want to bake in the basement.

Option 1
Use BLL for pistol bullets and add a Lee APP for sizing. I would keep one Lyman 45 in case I ever want to lube rifle bullets. That covers my needs and puts me $200 ahead. I would not use the bullet feeder or tubes due to my hatred of tubes and low tolerance level for tweaking stuff to get it to work. KISS The downside is my lack of space for drying. The tool chests measure 18x45 but I know I will have stuff on them most of the time.

Option 2
Keep the Star and one Lyman 45. Keeping the Star gives fast lubing and sizing in one machine. This is the option I am leaning towards.

BTW, love the In-Line QC system, Currently have the RC, Co-Ax and RCBS bench prime on QC plates. Planning on adding plates for the Dillion 600, Lyman 45 and a vice. Another plate for either the Star or the APP. Might even put the 550 on a QC plate and sell the Strong Mount.

Based on my shooting needs, what would you do? Any other thoughts/comments?

Green Frog
12-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Don, you are faced with a problem only you can answer. I have two Lyman 450s and a Star as well as three old Ideal #1 lube and size presses, but only keep a couple set up at once. The others are on the back bench waiting to be called up to play. Not really space saving but it works for me... does either of those rolling chests have the big open cabinet style space on the bottom? Could you store the Star and the second Lyman there? If it were me, that’s what I would do for at least a while until I got a feel for just how much or how little I was going to need them. But like I said to begin with, it’s your stuff, so you provide the final answer.

Regards,
Froggie

onelight
12-14-2020, 01:46 PM
I use one of the plastic folding tables to expand my work surface when needed , and just fold it up and get it out of the way when finished.

Rcmaveric
12-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Keep the equipment. You will regret it if you sell it. My space is a corner of the living room and I use the Lee reloading stand and Lee QC system. Pull out what I need and stow when done. I use the harbor Freight fold up work bench to expand table space when need.

Funny because I tried to use it as a work bench and broke it its flimsy metal legs on the first sheet of ply wood. But for 20 bucks it makes a nice sturdy table. Rated for 220 pounds my... um well nvm.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

metricmonkeywrench
12-14-2020, 02:31 PM
The only thing permanently mounted on my bench is the press, everything else is mounted to Oak boards (especially the sizers) and C clamped to the bench when used and put away when not used. This allows me to have greater flexibility in my "small" reloading space.

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-14-2020, 02:36 PM
The workmate type folding benches make good sturdy reloading benches. Used one for years when I has on the road a lot, no more than a year at any work location.

ShooterAZ
12-14-2020, 07:03 PM
The only thing permanently mounted on my bench is the press, everything else is mounted to Oak boards (especially the sizers) and C clamped to the bench when used and put away when not used. This allows me to have greater flexibility in my "small" reloading space.

I do the exact same thing. Powder measures, sizers, RCBS bench mounted primer, Dillon 600 primer pocket swage, etc. are mounted on a board and will quickly interchange on the bench with c-clamps. And personally Don, I would go with your option #2 for now. If you decide to further downsize in say 5 years or more, it's still not a problem to downsize.

winelover
12-15-2020, 08:07 AM
I too, have no desire to PC. Standard lube in the grooves. I have a Star and a LAM permanently mounted on my six foot bench. Plenty of room if you set it up correctly. Currently, three reloading presses (Lyman Orange Crusher, RCBS JR and a Hollywood Senior Turret) The Lyman is mounted on the side, behind the Star. I use a bench mounted RCBS primer tool bolted on a piece of 2x6, C-clamped to the benchtop, as needed. The 4 1/2" Craftsman vise doubles to hold a Uniflow and a Hollywood Powder measure.

Winelover

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Sell whatever you like, I might sell things that were easily replaceable with NEW (just as good or Better) tools, but I wouldn't sell my Stars or Lymans (and dies). If I were to get to a place where those tools wouldn't get used, I would just store them. You never know when you might change your mind.

dannyd
12-15-2020, 01:33 PM
Keep your gear in the future you may have to trade it for food. Just saying

Rcmaveric
12-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Yall are too organized and that bench is way too clean. I would be afraid to use it. I might mess it up or loos something. I hate organizing my bench like that because then I loose tools for a month.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

dverna
12-15-2020, 02:28 PM
I appreciate the comments and advice. Sometimes just putting thoughts in writing helps me sort things out. But after being here a long time, I have learned there are experienced folks that pick up on things I miss. Tapping the brain trust is never a bad idea.

I am going to keep the Star and both Lyman 45’s for now. The 45’s are not worth much anyway ($60-70). If I ever need to run a different lube for rifle bullets, having one set up would be very convenient...and having a spare for parts is cheap insurance.

Moving the metallic reloading setup has been an eye opener. Decades of stuff. Found things I had “lost” and stuff I do not remember having. It will take weeks to sell off what I no longer need.

Cherokee
12-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Option 2.

onelight
12-15-2020, 05:37 PM
Well your compact setup looks very nice and organized . I have 4 presses setup on 3 portable stands and use them pushed up against my bench but I have used this type stand for so many years that I am comfortable with it. 2 of the stands are kept out and the one with my Lyman orange crusher is kept in a closet. And only rarely comes out.
My bench is used for powder scale , trickler , loading blocks and working on guns and knife sharpening . I use a portable table when needed for overflow. My equipment is simpler than yours but on my portable stands I use all the time I have 3 bins on each for cases , bullets and loaded rounds . I am sure you will find a system that works for well . In the space you have. When I started I worked out of a cardboard box and 1 portable stand that all went in a closet when done and that worked to . I just recently moved from a 750 ' shop to a spare bed room in the house after we downsized I feel your pain. :)

charlie b
12-15-2020, 08:26 PM
I've moved enough that getting rid of 'extra' stuff was just part of the drill. Had large shops, small shops, no shops. There has only been one time that I regretted getting rid of any of the stuff.

Right now I have my reloading stuff in a closet. Yes, that's where I do my reloading. A solid core door is cut to fit. I like quick change systems for tools. I have my presses and other stuff mounted on oak boards that are all drill to a standard pattern. The hold down bolts have knobs on them so I can tighten everything down by hand. The reloading bench has two 'stations' that will accept any of the tools. In the garage I have a bench that also has two stations on it. I have shelves to hold the tools not being used with a single hold down to keep them in place.

As to what to keep, I think you made the right decision for now. You can revisit in a year or two and decide if you want to sell off some stuff then.

dogdoc
12-16-2020, 08:54 AM
Keep it. Future conditions may change. They are all long paid for and may be hard to replace in the future. You always need spares.

fredj338
12-17-2020, 03:51 PM
I am coating my cast bullets but I doubt i ever sell my Star. I did sell my Lyman, only used it for gc bullets & pretty much stop using gc with PC. I do like the APP for sizing, very fast. We will see how durable all that plastic is though.

Petander
12-17-2020, 06:28 PM
I still don't have a Star except a few dies for it. I have a LAM and RCBS sizer presses with a good assortment of dies.

I PC and Hi Tek.

And one day I will have a Star.