PDA

View Full Version : flintlock conversion

farmbif
12-14-2020, 12:55 PM
I'm not a gunsmith but have a very rusted hawkens percussion 50 cal that I'm thinking g of trying to restore ands am very interested in having a primer less gun and was wondering if anyone here might give me some insight as to feasibility converting it to a flintlock

LAGS
12-14-2020, 01:02 PM
First.
You need to know what Brand and Model your rusty rifle is.

beshears
12-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Check to see if bore is rusted. If is find another project. Is the nipple in the breech plug or in a drum that screws in to side of barrel?

farmbif
12-14-2020, 01:13 PM
its a traditions brand

farmbif
12-14-2020, 01:18 PM
there is a stainless steel nipple threaded into side of barrel. that nipple is the only thing that is not caked in rust. the fixture or whatever on side of barrel its threaded into sticks out off side of barrel

LAGS
12-14-2020, 01:23 PM
A bad Bore can always be Refreshed .
Sleeved or Re Bored by Hoyt in the caliber you want and your choice of rifling twists.
I have a Traditions Kit that I am considering converting it to a Flintlock or Combo Rifle.
Mainly because I can't convert the TC percussions to a Flintlock.

pietro
12-14-2020, 03:17 PM

The percussion drum would need to get disappeared, as would the hammer/lock/etc, then the drum's hole in the barrel drilled out (maybe) for a vent liner that flinchlocks use.

The hardest part would be installing a new flint lock/hammer that would both fit the percussion lock inletting, line up with the trigger mechanism, and also line the pan up with the ignition channel. [smilie=b:

IMO, it's be a bit of a money pit ( a new lock is expensive). :shock:

I'd sell it and buy a new Traditions flintlock, instead of doing all that work, though.

mooman76
12-14-2020, 06:57 PM
First how rusty is rusty? MLs can be somewhat forgiving as far as rust goes with their deep rifling. It is possible to convert of coarse. I did a CVA years back and they are made by same company that makes Traditions. It's best to replace the whole lock that way you don't have issues lining up the everything. Get came brand lock and it should fit with little to no inletting. The drum can be a bear to remove. I have heard of people removing the nipple and replacing with a small bolt for some grip and leverage. Back when I did mine, I couldn't find a touch hole that would fit and there was little to no internet to speak of back then so I made one from a bolt of the correct size. I believe you can buy one these days. In the long run you are probably better off just buying a good used flinter but so was I. It still made a fun project.

farmbif
12-14-2020, 07:37 PM
I saw that I could get a 1/4-28 threaded touch hole. I guess it would replace the drum. I started soaking some of the key points and parts with kroil, got all the screws out that I could see except for the 4 that hold the metal washers that the barrel key goes through, trigger guard is only part that has come loose yet. I will soak the barrel key a bit longer before trying to tap it out. I figure worst case scenario I could cut barrel down. tap for new breach plug if I cannot get old one out and drill and tap for touch hole.
does this sound about right or what else should I try.
im not so worried about rifling. I can still see it, although its all covered in rust. but I've seen old winchesters and marlins with real rough looking bores that shoot just fine. I'll just brush it out real good with kroil soaked brass brushes and scour pads