I had bought 2 batches of 500 count 357 Mag cases
These were from Midway and had John as the head stamp
I remember there was a number of different "Names" you could get

I remember opening one of the boxes and loading a few of the cases
But quickly quit because the OAL of the cases was all over
Some were longer than the max case length of 1.29"
Others were really short , like 1.16"
All the cases need sorted and trimmed to some standard length to be usable
With the wide length differences , I only ever loaded a few just to have some of My 357 Mag ammo

So my question ... well 2 questions
I now have the time to use the cases
Not sure who made the cases and with the wild case lengths , I am not sure I would want to load hot loads in the cases
Any idea who made those cases for Midway ?

Also I have a nice Marlin Lever action rifle in 357 Mag that I like to plink with
So I will be trimming the cases and making batches of 357 mag cases to use
Lets say a batch has to be trimmed to 1.2" in length ( a guess of a length )
I then load a 158 gr cast bullet to a OAL of 1.58"
Would that load have the same velocity as the same load in a case trimmed to a length of 1.285" and the loaded OAL of 1.58" ?

Thanks
John

Bazoo
12-14-2020, 12:58 AM
If the overall length is the same, then a variance in case length will not change the pressure or ballistics.

Stupid question here. Have you or did you size the cases? I've heard of folks not sizing new brass, so that's what I'm thinking. I have some 44 mag starline that was short when new, until I sized it.

That's neat as crap by the way, my name is John.

contender1
12-14-2020, 07:36 AM
I think Starline would make cases with special headstamps like that. I have some done as a tribute to a truly great guy in 44 Spl.

JRLesan
12-14-2020, 09:41 AM
FWIW: Midway in Columbia' MO is just north Sedalia, MO which is home to Starline Brass (which is nearly next door to Sierra Bullets). Your brass likely came from Starline. I once ordered 45acp brass from Midway headstamped TEXAS as my brother is from and lives there...

Winger Ed.
12-14-2020, 04:43 PM
I'd FL size them, then run them all through a trimmer, and get to the 'trim to length' listed in the books.

Then load & shoot 'em.

Going by the proper OAL, and a decent crimp, I don't see how you could get in trouble.