PDA

View Full Version : Don't ship.

tankgunner59
12-13-2020, 07:58 PM
Hey guy's whatever you do be careful shipping once fired brass to or from Quincy, Illinois. I just received a PM from someone here that I sent some brass to and the package was empty when he received it. This happened once before when I shipped to a different state. It appears someone in Quincy is stealing brass from packages.
I'm going out tomorrow to chew some butt out. Sorry about that it's with the USPS.

BrutalAB
12-13-2020, 08:14 PM
The carrier might be usefull info so that we could use others if shipping to or from there.

Conditor22
12-13-2020, 08:39 PM
IF it's priority mail it's insured for $50

Wheelguns 1961
12-13-2020, 08:43 PM
A guy from here shipped me some pewter one time, and the usps delivered me an empty box. I figured that it wasn’t taped up enough. I put packing tape to cover the whole box.

Handloader109
12-13-2020, 08:54 PM
put anything that is loose in a bag then box. you can get tyvek priority mail bags and put in box. or use tyvek inside a tyvek. make it difficult guys

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

metricmonkeywrench
12-13-2020, 09:00 PM
I've taken to using food saver bags and vacupacking stuff to keep things together and stapling and taping them to the inside of the box.

Concur, don't make it easy for the rats

tomme boy
12-14-2020, 02:26 AM
Good luck getting paid from the usps.

marlin39a
12-14-2020, 09:40 AM
I’ve never had a problem with sellers of brass and lead on this forum. I had 2 bad experiences on the popular auction site. Both times got empty boxes that weren’t wrapped well. P.O. Was no help with my claim.

bedbugbilly
12-14-2020, 10:26 AM
Some more information would be helpful. I'm guessing that you shipped it USPS - so how did you pack it? How well was the box taped? What did the guy say was the damage to the packing when it arrived? Was there signs of it being roughly handled in transit or was it clearly tampered with and cut open?

While I'm not saying that there might not be a theft problem - and there may well be - most of the time when an empty package arrives, it's primarily due to poor packaging. For any of the shippers you have to assume that it will be handled roughly, tossed, have things piled on top of it during shipment, etc.

I bought a set of Lyman 310 45 Colt dies one time from a fella in TX. All I got here in AZ when it arrived was an empty SFRB because the fool just stuck them in the box loose, closed the box and sealed the flap but never taped the box - to add insult to injury - when I notified him, he tried telling me it was my fault because I didn't ask for insurance. I even had to tell him that it automatically had $50 insurance on it and he owed me a refund - took two months but he finally ponied up.

I recently bought some bottle of Alox from a member here - again - he just put them in a SFRB - never slid them in any type of plastic baggie which would have been easy enough to do by wrapping them individually in one. When it arrived - yep - a very g=big mess as two of the bottles had leaked. There were a total of 5 bottles and all of the lids were loose and not tightened tight.

If your package was clearly tampered with - then both you and the recipient need to hang on to the packaging and file a complaint with the Postal Inspectors on your end and his. A number pf years ago, I dealt with the Postal Inspectors during an investigation they were conducting in our area concerning an employee of there PO who was defrauding the PO with false workmen's comp claims. I got to know them pretty well and believe me, they don't like dishonest employees no matter what the issue is.

Blanket
12-14-2020, 10:33 AM
it is Illinois, lots of thieves there

salpal48
12-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Try to Collect from the PO . Lots of Luck. don't hold your breath

Handloader109
12-14-2020, 11:05 AM
And, YEP, tape ALL the flat rate boxes. Never depend on that little strip of tape inside. I just send out a bunch of bullets, in a ziploc inside a padded envelope inside the SFRB. Taped all around.
It fit..... and you'd have to destroy outside box....

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Well, sounds like it would be smart to start packing loose brass cases, so they don't rattle or make noise when the box is shaken ;)

BigAlofPa.
12-14-2020, 11:55 AM
I put brass in zip lock bags. Then into the padded flat rate envelope. And tape up like crazy lol. I have also doubled the padded envelope too. If its a real heavy load of brass.

rockrat
12-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Just sent some bullets to MI, put in a freezer baggie, then wrapped with bubble wrap and taped the whole thing so nothing would shift or rattle and more bubble wrap in the SFRB. Taped sides of box and taped flap with shipping tape. Got there just fine

Got some boolits from a guy, he wrapped them and put them in tyvek envelopes. Then taped both envelopes together. When it arrived the end of the box was just about torn off, but boolits were still there, safe. Not a one lost

shooterg
12-16-2020, 06:29 PM
IF it's priority mail it's insured for $50

Tried through 3 appeals at PO to recover $44 from lost brass, before that tried to collect $28 for somegizmo my wife orfered that was delivered in 3 pieces. Got zip both times. The $50 free is a joke.

Idaho45guy
12-16-2020, 06:46 PM
Just have whoever sends you brass, sew it up into military-grade nylon bags.

A wonderful forum member here sent me some range brass and I was floored by how much care he took in sorting and shipping it.

Winger Ed.
12-16-2020, 06:56 PM
Just have whoever sends you brass, sew it up into military-grade nylon bags.

That's funny.
Not only does that look 'Post Office Proof',
It might also come through after a 3 megaton blast.:kidding:

flyingmonkey35
12-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Brass goblin's https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201216/ebdf13472da30a372ab365af2ccdfe36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tankgunner59
12-16-2020, 07:52 PM
The part I hate is what it does to my reputation. I will NEVER rip off anyone. I will be taping up every box from now on , and by that I mean they will be wrapped in packing tape.

BamaNapper
12-16-2020, 08:21 PM
I sent probably 25 lbs of cast boolits to my brother last year. I bagged them and duct taped the bags. Then I placed the bags in the FR box and filled it level with cat litter. Weight didn't matter and the littler keeps the heavy stuff from shifting around and busting out of the box. I tried bubble wrap and packing paper but neither does much to keep lead from shifting around.

hiram
12-17-2020, 01:14 AM
I shipped four boxes of 180 gr sierra projectiles and something else in a SFRB. It was heavy!! The usps postal clerk asked what was I shipping and I told her machine parts. Another time I shipped a box to Australia. mtm boxes, loading blocks, dies, etc. It was at least as big as a wine carton. I had to fill out a customs form. Where it asked for contents, I wrote hobby supplies, not shooting supplies. On the box to Australia I used reinforced tape. It had the fly screen pattern in it.

SweetMk
12-17-2020, 01:31 AM
I used to ship up to 70 pounds in boxes, and never lost one,
the boxes were taped with fiberglass tape, and clear shipping tape over it.

We never lost one,,

We shipped up to 150 pounds UPS,, but, when it went over 70 pounds, we used 3/4" wide steel banding.

The only thing we ever lost that was steel banded was some trailer tires banded to a pallet,,
They really had to work at it to get the tires,, but,, some people can not be stopped.

We shipped like that for 12 years,, virtually zero lost.
Heck, some of the stuff went by mail, then by Greyhound (or whatever) into Canada,, and made it.

bullet maker 57
12-17-2020, 09:34 AM
I do the same as metricmonkeywrench, vacuum seal, lots of bubble wrap. Tape the box with fiberglass-reinforced tape. The only box that didn't make it wasn't packed correctly. My bad. Learned my lesson quickly.

salpal48
12-17-2020, 10:10 AM
You all Know the Postal Regulation " Do not Throw packages over 30 Feet, Fragile packages 20 feet"

tankgunner59
12-17-2020, 11:41 AM
Well, on top of wraping it in tape, I also will be packing it till it can't move. Thats how I used to do it but I unfortunately got too trusting of the USPS.

wv109323
12-17-2020, 07:38 PM
This concerns UPS and not USPS.
I ordered a desktop computer recently. I found the box on my porch after delivery. It had a nice clean hole in the side of the box. I thought it was a handhold to carry the box. Upon closer examination it was something that punctured the box. I immediately took pictures of the box and shipping label before I brought it in the house. I took pictures of how the bubble wrap was pierced as I unpack the computer.
It appeared as the the box had been hit and pierced by the fork of a forklift. By the way the UPS driver delivered the package and left even though I was home.
Luckily the computer just received a scratch in the paint. I contacted the seller to inform him and he went back on UPS trying to receive damages. UPS has a policy that to claim damages, pictures need to be per their protocol. Pictures must include three sides of the package from certain angles. Then another picture to show the three remaining sides. Something that the average guy would not do.
I had discarded the box in the time that UPS got back to the seller. What do I need to keep a large box with a hole in the side?
Long story short UPS would do nothing because plain pictures of the box and shipping label did not meet their ridiculous requirements. As with the USPS, The UPS insurance is a joke.

MT Gianni
12-19-2020, 12:01 PM
Standard procedure for a flat rate box is to tape all inside seams, then all outside seams. Brass should be packed so it doesn't rattle and write RATTLE OK across the box.
I had some gas checks held up because they were obviously broken. Any brass shipped should be bagged and taped.

BNE
12-19-2020, 12:36 PM
People are funny (I’m being nice.) when it comes to packaging. I get lead shipped to me in a lot of different ways. Most of the time it survives.

I think it is important to make the inside product secure, then add extra tape around the outside of the box.