PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 130 grn cast loads

Reloader06
12-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Ok folks need a little help. I have a H&G 81 .355 that I would like to shoot in a Baby Eagle. My question is, if you have used this bullet, what seating depth did you use? The short nose on this puppy has me a little concerned. I'm fairly new to 9mm loading, but lots of experience otherwise. 20-25 years. Fairly high pressure, small case has got me second thinking this quite a bit. I might just leave this one to the 38 super and be done with it, but it would be nice to use this mold for SWMBO's pistol.

Thanks

Matt:drinks:

crabo
12-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Matt, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone with this mold. I have often wondered how it would do for the 38 Super since the 68 does so well for the 45acp. Is yours plain based?

Could you post some pictures of the boolit it drops?

Thanks,

Reloader06
12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Crabo,

Here's a try at posting a pic.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=310

IcerUSA
12-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Reloader06 , make a dummie round with that boolit and compare it to a factory load for length , meaning that the profile on the factory load and on the H&G match at some point , might have to crimp real close to the top of the front driving band but it looks like it should work .
I would also use a lite load for it as that boolit might go kind of deep in the case .

Let us know how it works out .

Keith

Reloader06
12-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Keith

That's exactly what I did. The dummy round part anyway. It's seated REAL deep and that's what has me concerned.:veryconfu It's very short seated that way so I'm thinking that I'll make up another dummy that's as long as I can get to feed. That and no data. I'm GUESSING that loads about half way between 124's and 147's ought to be about right. Just work slowly at it. I was just hopeing that someone here might have tried it before and had alittle experience that I could gleen. I'm alittle leary of "paving the way" with a cartridge I have so little experience with. Thanks for the input.

beagle
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Looks pretty close to Lyman's 358480 and that's one of my best small game bullets in the 9mm./beagle

Reloader06
12-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Beagle

It does look similar. What is the OAL that you use? I am a bit surprised that these are coming out of the mold @ .359". I'm sizing them down to .357". The barrel slugged .3556". Thanks for pointing out that Lyman mold, I'll look in some of my older manuals and see if anything pops up.

Ia.redneck
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM
A method that's worked for me over the years on my semi autos is to remove the barrel and then seat the bullet long and drop it in the barrel........it probably wont go all the way in, then keep turning in the seating screw, setting the slug deeper in the case till the dummy round chambers all the way.. ....hope this helps:)

Reloader06
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Redneck

I've done that before with my 1911's and why I hadn't thought of that escapes me. Thanks. A very good thought! I'll try that tomorrow. Yea.... Seat it as long as it will chamber without engraving the lead-throat and fit in the magazine and still feed. Yup. Dang it sometimes ya just feel foolish:roll:

Matt

IcerUSA
12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
You can check here also , has most of the powder manufactures loads plus individuals loads . Use for reference only as we all know each gun is it's own and no 2 are identical .
http://www.handloads.org/

Keith

Reloader06
12-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Icer

Thanks. That's kinda my "home board" Although I find myself spending more time here for the past 6 months or so.:-D I think I'll be OK, just have to take it real slow and be careful. I am just hopeing that some one has some experience with this combo so I dont reinvent the wheel. It's the deep seating that has me most concerned. So I'll just seat them out as far as they will function and go from there. Thanks for all the input.

beagle
12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
My OAL is 1.060" and that's in a High Power. I had to tinker around with the seating depth a little and finally got them to feed good.

I was sizing to .3575" for best results.

I have a HP version that I shoot a lot.

Look at castpics/articles/Cast in the 9mm High Power for the loads I used./beagle

Beagle

It does look similar. What is the OAL that you use? I am a bit surprised that these are coming out of the mold @ .359". I'm sizing them down to .357". The barrel slugged .3556". Thanks for pointing out that Lyman mold, I'll look in some of my older manuals and see if anything pops up.