PDA

View Full Version : Measuring shoulder bump in .22hornet and 7.62x54r

Wolfdog91
12-13-2020, 05:35 AM
So was looking at getting one of horandys, head space gauge to help me measure my shoulder bump, apparently it help with brass life. Problem is apparently you can use it for cartridges like. 22hornet or 7.62x54r ,. Wanted to know how do y'all go about measuring shoulder bump on these.

zarrinvz24
12-13-2020, 09:45 AM
I use the Redding instant indicator. I love it! I don’t think one is offered in the x54, but you could call them and see if they will produce one for you. I know Redding is almost a dirty word here on the forum these days but in my own experience, they’ve always been helpful a step above and beyond my expectations.

Larry Gibson
12-13-2020, 10:13 AM
The Hornady gauge have different diameter holes to measure a "datum line" on the shoulder. The gages attach to a caliper for measurement.

The shoulder headspace length on the 7.62x54R is easily measured with the "C" gauge.

My set of gauges does not have one small enough for the 22 Hornet. However, a 243 Winchester case and be deprimed and used as a "gauge" as the 243 neck slips over the neck of the 22 Hornet case. A 25-20 case works better.

garandsrus
12-13-2020, 06:22 PM
Just go to the hardware store and buy a nut. Use your calipers to figure out the width of the 22 Hornet neck about 1/2 way down the shoulder and drill and optionally ream the hole with the closest drill bit you have to that size. Then use the nut with your calipers. The initial measurement of the brass case in the nut becomes 0 and then you can see how far back you push the shoulder when sizing. One nut can be used for 6 different diameter holes. Here’s the commercial version: https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/bullet-comparators/sinclair-hex-style-bullet-comparators-prod83792.aspx

Here’s a video of it in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6P3GeLn2BA. The video shows it checking OAL to the bullet ogive but it’s the same principle.

country gent
12-13-2020, 11:25 PM
While the hornet will benefit from maintaining the shoulder height, It will be harder to measure accurately do to the very gradual shoulder angle. The steeper angles on modern cases are much easier. On the small gradual shoulder angle of the hornet a small bump will make several thousandths difference. But it can be done. A tip for an indicator could be made to thread into a 1" dial indicator on a height gauge allowing for a measurement on the shoulder under the same tension every time.
The nut works well for most an does a good job.
An easy way is to darken a neck shoulder with a marker. Raise the die up and lower sizing down to where it just blends into neck shoulder junction. you will see the touch on the shoulder right away if you go to far. Once at this point if you want .001 bump back measure between die and shell holder with shim gauges subtract .001 and set die