PDA

View Full Version : Pictures sometimes not showing in threads

hawkenhunter50
12-13-2020, 03:25 AM
Anyone else come across threads that should have a picture but nothing showing? For a while now I've been noticing that, I'll see other replies that seems like they are seeing the picture but all I see is the text.

Minerat
12-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Sometimes the OP removed the attachment from their storage or attempted to upload a picture that was too large. Look on the upper left side of the post and you will see the date of the original post. If it is old then it probably was removed. In other cases it maybe the picture was saved on a storage folder like Photo bucket and the have closed that account or took the picture down.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-13-2020, 07:30 PM
2nd thread today on this subject, or closely related. I very much like to post photos, believing in the old saying that "A picture is worth a thousand words." However, when I first joined the Forum I found that in a year's time or a little less I was out of photo storage space. You know this when you attempt to upload a photo and the site tells you that you don't have enough storage space remaining to accomplish the task. So at that point you have three options: (1) Upload no more photos, (2) remove some of the photos you have uploaded to make space for others, (3) Become a Team Boolits subscribing member...the rates are not onerous, and help to fund this great storehouse of knowledge and conversation....and with the subscription comes more photo storage space.
There are 3 levels of membership, and the amount of available storage space is increased with each level. In my case, the top level of membership only lasted about 4 years, and then, once again, it was filled up with no recourse to acquire more space. So, after struggling long and hard, I went back through about 26 +/- pages of stored photos and eliminated those that seemed less important. After awhile I went through them again and eliminated more. I wasn't happy about it, but in making lemonade out of lemons I found that it was fun to repost them again as needed in new threads. I know how frustrating it is to research a subject and what comes up on the "search" has no photos; but just speaking for myself I use a digital camera to take the photos, then upload them from the camera to the computer, and then upload to the Forum site as needed. Others do not use this system at all, and store their photos on internet sites such as Photobucket. Then you see a link instead of a photo and when you click on the link it takes you to the location where the photo is stored on another site. When you look at a thread and see a little black box with an "X" in it the photo has been removed, and there is usually a message stating that the picture has been removed by the owner. It's not a problem with your computer-- it's a storage problem for the member who posted the photo. Hope this clears it up. I keep all my photos in my computer, so if you run across any of my posts where the photo has been removed and want to see it just e-mail me, and I'll reply via e-mail with the appropriate photos. One other thing, I use jpg photos, and those can't be attached to PMs, but the off site type can be linked to PMs.

DG

hawkenhunter50
12-13-2020, 09:26 PM
These are either brand new threads or relatively new, and nothing shows except text. Nothing to click or black boxes with x's. And other replies indicate they viewed the picture. I have seen older threads that are as you say, that looks like something has been removed but the post that caused me to post this was minutes old when I viewed it. Thanks for the replies.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Strange indeed. Well then, the next time that this happens to you contact one of the mods and we'll look at the post and find out if we can see the photos. If we can, then it isolates the problem to your computer or server.

DG

AlHunt
12-14-2020, 07:11 AM
Anyone else come across threads that should have a picture but nothing showing? For a while now I've been noticing that, I'll see other replies that seems like they are seeing the picture but all I see is the text.

I see that on another forum. It's related to photos hosted on 3rd party site. I've never seen a good answer for it.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-14-2020, 11:51 AM
If that is the case (as stated by AlHunt), and the photos are stored off-site, then it's their problem and nothing we can do about it.

DG

AlHunt
12-14-2020, 12:18 PM
If that is the case (as stated by AlHunt), and the photos are stored off-site, then it's their problem and nothing we can do about it.

DG

It's a strange problem. Some users can see them, some can't and those who can't see no indication that a pic is even supposed to be there. But "View Source" shows the code. Same board software, btw.