PDA

View Full Version : Mora knife

richhodg66
12-12-2020, 02:20 PM
I ended up losing my Gerber folder which had served as my main field dressing and skinning knife for several years. I liked it, but was looking for other options and was told current Gerbers aren't the same quality levels anymore.

Decided to buy one of these basic Swedish Mora knives, came out to less than $20 shipped from the bay. Had my first opportunity to use it today on a deer. Must say I'm impressed. That blade is just about the exact right size and shape, very sharp and seems strong as all get out. Good handle, well shaped and didn't get slippery.

All in all, I can't see how a guy could beat one of these for a general purpose field knife, especially at that price point. I'm gonna order several more.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Never heard anything negative about them, just good.

DG

RU shooter
12-12-2020, 03:34 PM
I've got about 5 or 6 mora knives around. All of them Are the carbon steel blades don't think I spent over 15 bucks for any of them I know a few were under 10 . They simply can't be beat even if I paid twice the price . I also used my mora companion this year for the first time on my deer .

Bazoo
12-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Mora knives are okay. They lack on style. They shine if a person is prone to losing knives. One in each car kinda mentality. I build a relationship with a good knife, a mora is just a tool.

You can still find a used gerber gator in nice shape on ebay for reasonable. I like those myself.

rking22
12-12-2020, 05:37 PM
Were 12$ last night, 15$ now but still a good deal on a quality plain functional knife, everybody needs one , or some!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNWD40/?tag=bcusa-20

I love a nice pretty knife, in fact I’ve bought 2 in the last couple months, but a Mora is like a work truck, pretty is as pretty does.

richhodg66
12-12-2020, 05:46 PM
I can't get into pretty knives, always wonder about all the handmade knives I see tables full of at gun shows, what are these supposed to do than an off the shelf one won't do better?

I don't need a gold plated shovel or hammer either. Just ordered two more of the Moras just like this one for $29 shipped.

12-12-2020, 06:22 PM
Got one on my hip right now. Fit & function suits me to a tee. Love 'em and a great deal, to boot.

hc18flyer
12-12-2020, 06:34 PM
I have 4 stashed where I will likely need a good sharp knife. They are a great value! A close friend is a quality knife maker and I sentimentally use the ones he gave me , when hunting and camping. But there is a sharp Mora in my deer pack! I am thinking of giving some out for Christmas. Tom

c0wb0y84
12-12-2020, 06:36 PM
I like their stainless blades for working in marine environments and the handle is well suited for wet and slippery conditions as well.

panhed65
12-12-2020, 08:01 PM
I have several of the mora knives, and like and use them all the time. they are a real good deal as far as I am concerned, for the price. I like the carbon steel ones, with the thicker blade, but had given one to a buddy, forgot to tell him I guess, about a little oil and cleaning now and then, looked pretty shabby for a bit til I cleaned it up for him. be nice if they came with a better sheath, but would be more $$.
Barry

pietro
12-12-2020, 08:56 PM
I can't get into pretty knives, always wonder about all the handmade knives I see tables full of at gun shows, what are these supposed to do than an off the shelf one won't do better?

They do the same thing that nice wood does on a long gun, they instill a pride of ownership...….. and something to enjoy during times when not much is going on.

Bazoo
12-12-2020, 09:30 PM
You don't have to have a custom knife to have a nice knife. But you do have to pay more than 15 bucks. My Buck 192 is my favorite, then the 110. A 110 will cost you about 40 I think at Walmart. Course if it's just a tool, guess it don't make much difference.

Kinda like the difference between a glock and a 1911.

Cargo
12-12-2020, 10:05 PM
I have a super secret stash of vintage Gerber 600 Magnum LSTs. One of which is still in the slightly yellowing clam pack. It's absolutely my favorite folder for under $100

As far as Mora's are concerned, I've always had at least one handy for the last 22 years. I've broken one, which was my fault, and have never had one complaint about them. Ultralight and super inexpensive, what's not to like?

GhostHawk
12-12-2020, 10:06 PM
I have at least 5 or 6 scattered around the house. Some in camping gear kits. Some by doors, one hanging on the hidden side of the fridge.

Yet to have an issue with one, from the basic to the companion.

You can do some fairly interesting things with patina on those with mustard and hot vinegar. Heck you could put your initials on it.
Good knives clear across the board.

Also have their spoon carving knives. Good company, good price, good product.

Markopolo
12-12-2020, 10:53 PM
hey rich!!! Lets see that knife!! i am not sure what they look like... show me the steel

redriverhunter
12-12-2020, 11:23 PM
some how my mora fillet knife made it's way into the kitchen draw and my wife has claimed it. I have a few mora's, my only dislike is the plastic sheath, I cant seem to get it wear right.

Texas by God
12-13-2020, 02:39 AM
I field dressed my latest buck with my oldest Mora carbon steel knife two weeks ago. A few years back I bought one for each member of the family. The year after that I had $600 worth of custom knives built for them. The Moras get used, while the elk and pecan customs stay put up. My son gave me a $25 gift card to the LGS- within minutes I walked out with a red handle and a blue handle stainless Mora knives. My chef daughter has already taken the blue one.
We like them!
Here's a poor pic. I found a leather sheath for the carbon one a while back, much better to me than the snicky plastic one.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201216/ad6168c7f8c3a0edc0a5ec0f569f938b.jpg

richhodg66
12-13-2020, 04:02 AM
hey rich!!! Lets see that knife!! i am not sure what they look like... show me the steel

Looks just like this one, but they make them in various colors and slightly different configurations. Can be had on Ebay and such for dirt cheap for what they are.

Dapaki
12-13-2020, 07:31 AM
My EDC is an Eafengrow EF221 folder, D2 Blade and G10 Handle because it has an axis lock allowing to me open and close it one handed.

I never heard of Mora knives before, I will have to add that to my Christmas list this year. Thank you gents!

jonp
12-13-2020, 08:01 AM
Cheap knife in a plastic sheath and the best value in knives out there. Much like a Hi Point. Inexpensive, not pretty but works great. I have several.

jonp
12-13-2020, 08:05 AM
My EDC is an Eafengrow EF221 folder, D2 Blade and G10 Handle because it has an axis lock allowing to me open and close it one handed.

I never heard of Mora knives before, I will have to add that to my Christmas list this year. Thank you gents!

Mines a Byrd Meadowlark. Essentially a Spyderco with cheaper steel and sold by them. I got sick of losing Spyderco knives and I'm a big fan of them. Sharpens easily, holds a good edge and if you lose it you won't get as depressed as losing 4 Spyderco like I did. I got one for my wife's birthday from Bladehq and had it personalized "happy birthday" for a cheap enough fee by them. Great gift.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Byrd-Manual--126

wildwilly501
12-13-2020, 08:46 AM
Where Gerber got the bad rap is from their made in China knives there's nothing wrong with the made in USA knives .Nothing wrong with Moras I must have 1/2 dozen or more in tool boxes,the truck and tackle boxes.For cutting meat and filleting fish I use the white handled Dexter-Russell made in Japan knives better than a Mora for that and less money than a Mora.And I have a Mora fillet knife.

FullTang
12-14-2020, 04:57 PM
Basic Mora knives are great utility knives, but they do come in somewhat fancier versions. The laminated carbon steel blades are what made Mora famous, and they are some of the sharpest blades around---better than a lot of "super steels" you see on the market today, and not terribly expensive. You can also get bare blades from various sources online and make your own custom knives if you want something nicer. That's a fun little craft project without getting into forging blades or any specialty tools.

ironbrew
12-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Mohrs Kohansky carried a Mora. That was enough for me. If that guy figures they are good enough and then some, I will not argue. Quite a fellow. I was sad to see his passing.

tomme boy
12-15-2020, 02:34 AM
I used to have moras all over the place. Now I carry one of these. https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-140-carbon-steel/63686

I have both the stainless and carbon versions. They are awesome. But for the price moras are a great deal. I just wanted a full tang knife.

Markopolo
12-21-2020, 10:18 AM
i wonder how they do in Salty water and bad weather.... do the rust bad with those carbon blades?

richhodg66
12-21-2020, 11:31 AM
This one is actually showing a little discoloration where it got blood on it, guess I didn't get to washing it down soon enough, doesn't show any sign of rust really.

RU shooter
12-22-2020, 07:22 AM
i wonder how they do in Salty water and bad weather.... do the rust bad with those carbon blades?
They do also sell the Stainless version n most of their line . But to answer your question they rust the same as any other carbon steel knife I have . To help them out I pre "rust " the ones I'm gonna take out in the weather hunting or fishing what I did was soak a paper towel in some cheap hot sauce I had and wrapped it around the blade for a couple days , card it off and did it again and then oil it . Took one to the ocean fishing to use as a bait knife at the end of the week I had a few spots near the edge that started rusting but wiped right off with a rag and oil .

richhodg66
12-22-2020, 09:57 AM
They do also sell the Stainless version n most of their line . But to answer your question they rust the same as any other carbon steel knife I have . To help them out I pre "rust " the ones I'm gonna take out in the weather hunting or fishing what I did was soak a paper towel in some cheap hot sauce I had and wrapped it around the blade for a couple days , card it off and did it again and then oil it . Took one to the ocean fishing to use as a bait knife at the end of the week I had a few spots near the edge that started rusting but wiped right off with a rag and oil .

I know how this sounds and really don't like this mentality as a general rule, but the things are cheap enough, if it rusts badly, pitch it and get another one. Had two more show up yesterday exactly like the one I had, twenty eight bucks and a little change shipped. I wish there were more things out there with this combination of cheap and good.

uscra112
12-22-2020, 01:02 PM
The laminated blade sold me. The core lamination being very hard, they take and hold a wicked edge, and will continue to do so no matter how many times the blade is sharpened. I must have half a dozen stashed around the place. One in a kitchen drawer for when I need a SHARP knife, e.g. for filleting. Another I use for woodcarving. A third is in my muzzleloader kit for trimming patches, which most guys think can only be done cleanly with a straight razor. I once used one to "razor-cut" hair. Haven't tried shaving with one, but I don't doubt that I could.

The plastic scabbards are the only thing I don't like, but will put up with.

Shawlerbrook
12-22-2020, 07:53 PM
The Mora is definitely worth the price.

kootne
12-22-2020, 07:54 PM
I was given one for a favor done a few years ago. I had always heard good things about them. Bad as my hearing is, it was just fine regarding Mora knives. I have some nice handmade knives but this Mora will do every thing I need a knife to do. I keep an old ceramic insulating tube from the old knob & tube wiring close to any knife I want to stay sharp and use it a couple swipes like a steel each time I use the knife. Always razor sharp that way. The much maligned plastic sheath has a real upside. I leave the Mora in the kitchen a lot and my wife tolerates the plastic sheath where she does not like leather ones in her knife drawer. I hate what a woman can do to a perfectly good edge on a knife in no time at all but this system works good for both of us. She's scared of sharp and I'm flustrated with dull.

DanishM1Garand
12-22-2020, 07:58 PM
I love mine.

I sent one to a buddy in Syria. He is an Army Reserve Combat Engineer.

The shipping instructions on the label from Amazon said “Always carry a knife, there might be cheesecake or you might have to stab a mother ****er in the neck” Woody knew exactly who sent it.

perotter
12-22-2020, 08:21 PM
The Mora I have used as my hunting knife since the 1960's was left by a cousin of mine when he joined the Navy in 1961 with my dad for safe keeping. It got the job done just fine.

But now it's time to send it to his niece so it can stay in that branch of the family. It's one of those nice birch handled ones. But I replaced the Mora with a different brand mainly because it was a free gift from work.

Bazoo
12-22-2020, 10:12 PM
I've made a couple sheaths using only a mora for the cutting. The main thing I don't like about the mora is the scandi grind. It's great for whittling, but I prefer a bucks hollow ground blade for general use. Sharpness of the edge is 50% of a sharp knife and blade geometry is the other 50%.

The wife tests my various knives in the kitchen on meat. She said the sharpest is my buck 192 and second is the old timer 143 I got out of the swap box. I have a sharp brand fillet knife, and while the edge holding isn't spectacular, the geometry is excellent and it's amazing for meat and vegetables.

Tim357
12-22-2020, 11:06 PM
I've made a couple sheaths using only a mora for the cutting. The main thing I don't like about the mora is the skandi grind. It's great for whittling, but I prefer a bucks hollow ground blade for general use. Sharpness of the edge is 50% of a sharp knife and blade geometry is the other 50%.

The wife tests my various knives in the kitchen on meat. She said the sharpest is my buck 192 and second is the old timer 143 I got out of the swap box. I have a sharp brand fillet knife, and while the edge holding isn't spectacular, the geometry is excellent and it's amazing for meat and vegetables.
The Skandi grind is wicked sharp, but is very fragile, as there is no meat directly behind the edge. Having said that, it is a wonderful knife for wood working of just about any type.

rking22
12-22-2020, 11:28 PM
Interesting, we all have different take on our knives. My wife tests mine(and my patience) by cutting into plates and granite counter tops. Along with the dishwasher! I keep a mora on the counter to distract her from the expensive ones! I prefer a convex or full flat grind, but the Scandi or saber is ok, I detest hollow grinds. If you let the mora take a good natural patina by just wiping it off rather than scrubbing it after use, it will be near impervious to rust, and just looks well loved :) I prefer my blades to take a patina, not much on shiny things, to each their own.

Bazoo
12-23-2020, 12:03 AM
My wife treats my knives kindly. She understands a dull knife ain't worth a darn. We don't have a dishwasher, and we have cheap kitchen knives for plates and such.

fatnhappy
12-23-2020, 01:17 AM
I have a couple kids I take deer hunting because, sadly, they don’t have or know adults that will. By and large I have to equip them as well. It’s easy enough to get them hand me down hunting clothes and lord knows I have enough firearms to outfit a platoon.
When it comes to knives though I’ve been giving them new moras. Dirt cheap and they do the job. I usually split the rib cage when I gut a deer. It makes it easy to show kids where and what they’re cutting. It’s tough on the edge but I can do 2 or 3 deer before I feel the need to resharpen.

More often than not I use the marbles drop point in my avatar which is the 52-100 ball bearing steel. I also use a rapid river drop point which is d2 tool steel. Guess what, I normally resharpen after 2 or 3 deer with either of those.

I kind of like the mora knives. They’re an excellent value.

tomme boy
12-23-2020, 02:36 AM
Look up doing a micro bevel on the scandi grind. The edge holds up a lot better.

Greg
01-01-2021, 08:02 PM
they are great knives

if any one has an extra plastic sheath ? I could sure use one

jonp
01-01-2021, 08:14 PM
Well, went to the gunshow and saw the 3.6in Stainless for $9 so bought one for me and one for the wife. Prefer the carbon but all they had were the stainless and for that price it was a no brainer. Cheaper than Amazon

Shawlerbrook
01-01-2021, 08:43 PM
Not to take a left turn, but anyone have any experience with the Wahoo Killer. Basically an Asian imitation of the Mora. I bought a bunch of them when they were less than $2 each. Now they are $6-7 each. Not a classic, but a good chore knife for garden work or keeping in a vehicle or bug out bag.

https://www.budk.com/BKCK125-27087

jonp
01-02-2021, 05:26 AM
looks like they are on sale for $4. How long have you had them and how are they holding up? How is the stainless doing on them? Looks like a good, cheap knife to do what you say. I do like the handle

https://www.budk.com/Wahoo-Killer-Fillet-Knife-Orange-And-Black-36094

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2021, 06:02 AM
looks like they are on sale for $4. How long have you had them and how are they holding up? How is the stainless doing on them? Looks like a good, cheap knife to do what you say. I do like the handle

https://www.budk.com/Wahoo-Killer-Fillet-Knife-Orange-And-Black-36094

I was going to try a couple but they want 10 bucks shipping to ship a 4 dollar knife.

jonp
01-02-2021, 07:31 AM
I was going to try a couple but they want 10 bucks shipping to ship a 4 dollar knife.

I didn't check on that. If you bought a couple they would be the same as a Mora. Have to get 3 or 4 to make that worthwhile but still, $14 isn't bad for a stainless 4in.

GhostHawk
01-02-2021, 07:59 AM
I bought 2, and a few other items to spread out the shipping.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the products I've bought from BudK over the years. They still have the best price and best features in Stun guns. But you do need to read the descriptions carefully.

Shawlerbrook
01-02-2021, 08:44 AM
I have had some of them( the Wahoo Killer)for almost 10 years. The stainless still looks good. I have used them in ways that I would never use a good blade and they are pretty strong. I used to do some flea markets and bought and sold 2 or 3 dozen over the years. I bought them for less than $2, including shipping and was selling them like hot cakes for $5/each. Now they have tripled in price, but if you can spread out the shipping( or get the occasional free shipping deal) they are a real value.

Jack Stanley
01-14-2021, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know how long the tang is on the Mora knives ?

Jack

RU shooter
01-14-2021, 11:44 AM
Does anyone know how long the tang is on the Mora knives ?

Jack
Do a search for Mora knife blanks I've seen pics of them to sorta give you an idea of the length but their not full tang/handle length I'm remembering about 3/4 or little more handle length

Conditor22
01-14-2021, 02:19 PM
I always carried a Gerber multi-tool to work, now I always strap it on when I go shooting.