PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a MP mold?

WinchesterM1
12-12-2020, 10:45 AM
So about a year ago I got on a Group buy for the MP 358-135 mold. I got the 8 cavity alum. Well I casted with it for one or two sessions and it did great and then the third time I used it not even three weeks later my mold blocks were off by over thousands of an inch I didn’t drop it I didn’t miss treated I let it cool down on my plate I treated it like a normal mold actually better because it was an expensive mold do you all have any ideas I haven’t been able to use this thing and I’m running out of 9 mm bullets I need to cast him up especially in today’s society and claimant I will try to take pictures in a little bit so you can see.

Flailguy
12-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Mine did the same thing. In my case one of the alignment pins had backed out a smidge I got it up to casting temp closed the blocks set it on a heavy flat metal object and gave the alignment pin a couple taps. Good as new now.

WinchesterM1
12-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Mine did the same thing. In my case one of the alignment pins had backed out a smidge I got it up to casting temp closed the blocks set it on a heavy flat metal object and gave the alignment pin a couple taps. Good as new now.

Okay silly question, how do you know which one if any are out of alignment

Flailguy
12-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Take the handles off, hold the blocks together and wigle them you should be able to feel movement

Mal Paso
12-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Heating the mold helps with moving the pins. Aluminum expands more/faster than steel. I drilled and crosspinned the alignment pins. I think the new molds are crosspinned.