PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Ramrod

LILSHARPS
12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Hello,
I just purchased a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken. Can anybody tell me where I can find a good replacement ramrod. The ramrod measures 34" end to end. I was thinking of a fiberglass one but am concerned about the wear to the muzzle. Thank You.

Junior1942
12-14-2008, 04:20 PM
They're easy to make. See

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rod.htm

Red River Rick
12-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I was thinking of a fiberglass one but am concerned about the wear to the muzzle.

Stay away from fiberglass.

RRR

KCSO
12-14-2008, 06:06 PM
If you can find real hickory you can make the best ramrod you will ever have. Attach the ends per Juniors posts and then make a tube from old plastic pipe. Put the ramrod in the pipe and cover it with 50/50 linseed oil and turpentine and leave it set for a month. After that wipe it occasionally with the same mixture and it will last you a lifetime. The plus is that it doesn't wear as bad as fibreglass and it's REAL!

Blammer
12-14-2008, 06:17 PM
look for the "plastic" ones, they are cut to lenght, so it only has a screw hole on one end.

Good stuff.

mooman76
12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
You can get a good ramrod anywhere that sells a good supply of BP items. You need to figure out what kind you want first be it fiberglass or a softer plastic material or whatever. They even have a resin based ramrod that is wood imperegnated with a hard resin to keep it from breaking. You can get them any length you want or a basic size and cut it yourself. Some places are Dixiegunworks, Track of the wolf or Cains outdoor, just do a web search.

freedom475
12-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Go to any hardware store and get yourself the correct size tubeing. If your furniture is brass buy brass, get stainless tubeing if your furniture is brown or steel

You can torch the stainless if you want it to look old. Brass will naturally turn old in just a few sessions of shooting.

Take the tube and insert a Tight fitting wood dowel the length of the tube.

You now have a real nice almost unbreakable rod and the brass ones really look sharp.:Fire:

....you can usually torch the ends red hot and put your old rod tips ON/IN the rod while it is hot.

I have used arrow inserts as ends so I was able to thread a brush into the end and a steel blunt the rest of the time.

Hope this helps.

longbow
12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
freedom475 has another take on an idea I saw about 30 years ago (I feel old).

I met a fellow at a muzzleloader shoot in Bend Oregon who was selling "unbreakable" ram rods. The way he made them was to saw strips of wood (hickory I think), then using a thin saw blade he notched 2 pieces full length down the middle and glued them together around a 1/8" diameter steel rod, then doweled the wood. They looked like a standard wood ramrod but with a heart of steel!

I bought one but never even bent it. I try not to torture test these things.

Brass tube would be a bunch easier though.

By the way another +1 on don't use fibergalss!

Longbow

freedom475
12-14-2008, 09:40 PM
I forgot to add the ..Fiber-glass SUX! ...I have a glass rod on my 72cal that came stock with the Kodiak .

It gave me a sliver about 4 years ago and I swear the thing is still in the web of my hand cause I still feel it hurting from time to time, can't see it but sometimes I preform surgery with my knife but still no luck,
I can't imagine breaking one of these and haveing a whole "nest" of FG slivers in my hand!

eka
12-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I like these.

http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=188

Keith

Geraldo
12-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I forgot to add the ..Fiber-glass SUX!

Roger that. I bought one decades ago and hated it. I used to buy hickory rods from Log Cabin Shop, but I believe Track of the Wolf has them as well. Just buy the right diameter and cut it to length.

longbow
12-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I was advised to stay away from fiberglass by a gunsmith many years ago because they can be abrasive and wear the muzzle.

I had a friend that found out the hard way.

Maybe okay if the fiberglass is coated with a non-abrasive "skin".

Longbow

GLOCKENNBOOMER
07-23-2009, 12:02 AM
tag...I have a FG ramrod that came with my GM barrel.....Was cleaning it and the tip came off of the ramrod and stuck down in the barrel with my swab still on it.....I had fun trying to get it back out. Threw it away after that.

Lead Fred
07-23-2009, 02:23 AM
My 42 inch barrel broke two the first year.

I got one from this guy two years ago, and its the last one Ill ever need

http://www.periodramrod.com/index.html

hamour
07-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Solid aluminum ram rod from RMC Sports

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

Custom made to any length, also available pre made in proper lengths for standard guns. Like TC etc.

I use them and do not worry about broken ram rods.

07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Really liked Jr's article.