PDA

View Full Version : what to bring

hiram
12-14-2008, 02:25 PM
A friend invited a few of us over for a venison lunch. One guy is bringing cookies. I was thinking of bringing wine. What wine goes along with venison?? Any other ideas what I could bring??

Thanks

leadeye
12-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Reds usually go with meats but it really is just a matter of what you like. I had friends over last Wednesday and we had some of my first batch of paw paw wine which is a white.

hiram
12-14-2008, 03:40 PM
ok--thanks

Glen
12-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I like syrah with venison.

waksupi
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Merlot!

hiram
12-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Voila--- I have Merlot.

KYCaster
12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Red wine with possum....white wine with catfish! Rednecks like wine too.

The Merlot or Syrah (Shiraz?) either one will be great.

Jerry

Boz330
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
dark beer

jdgabbard
12-16-2008, 12:05 AM
dark beer

+1 Dark Beer.

jlchucker
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
A case of Ballantine Ale!

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
i was going to make a wise ass post and say boonesfarm but you stirred my soul. I havent had ballantine Ale since i was in the service in the early 70s!! It used to be my favorite beverage. Cant find it anywhere up here and i thought for years it just wasnt made anymore.
A case of Ballantine Ale!

jlchucker
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
i was going to make a wise ass post and say boonesfarm but you stirred my soul. I havent had ballantine Ale since i was in the service in the early 70s!! It used to be my favorite beverage. Cant find it anywhere up here and i thought for years it just wasnt made anymore. I asked the local general store if it still existed last Christmas. Sure enough, the distributor had it. I gave a case of it to my brother for Christmas. We had some great-uncles who used to rabbit hunt back in the 40's, right after church on Sundays. They had great big mongrel hounds, a variety of old single barrel shotguns, and a taste for Ballantine after the hunt. They'd use it to wash down their Seagrams VO, as they waited for my grandmother to cook up a big pot of rabbit stew. I miss those guys--but BA is best drank cold! See if your store can get it from their distributor.

jlchucker
12-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Lloyd Smale, I just remembered. Over the course of the summer, sitting around the fire, my brothers and I got to thinking about beer from back in the day (early 70's). I happened to notice Narragansett in a cooler at a local beverage center. That stuff was really crap in the old days so I bought a 6pack to try out on Brother Jim, who was too young to drink back then. His reply in the modern era? "That's not bad!" I guess they improved. As time went along we managed to out-skunk each other by also locating Schlitz in cans, and Schaeffer. Couldn't find Carling Black Label. Knickerbocker is long out of business, as is Kruger. But Ballantyne Ale is now our holiday standby.

Junior1942
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Question: Name the largest American-owned brewery.

Answer: Pabst Brewing Company.

Boz330
12-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Carling's Black Label is what I used to drink when I first came of age. Used to drink a bunch of PBR when I was in the Army and this one town I worked in, PBR was all the bootlegger carried. Brings back some memories.

Bob

uncle joe
12-16-2008, 06:57 PM
+1 Dark Beer.

+20 on the dark beer
it will go with anything
je

10-x
12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Anybody on the east coast remember "National Beer"?:drinks:

MT Gianni
12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
No but I sure remember Lucky Lager and Bergie.

Lloyd Smale
12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
when i was little we lived near the canada border and i can remember my father and his chronys drank nothing but black label and drewreys beer. I havent had either of them in years either. Here in MI when i was just starting my drinking carreer Strohs was the beer of choise around here followed by pabst. dont see much of those anymore. About the only odd beer around hear anymore is all the comercial fisherman down at the dock are usually found with a can of blatz in there hand. At the bar everyone drinks those yuppie light beers.
Lloyd Smale, I just remembered. Over the course of the summer, sitting around the fire, my brothers and I got to thinking about beer from back in the day (early 70's). I happened to notice Narragansett in a cooler at a local beverage center. That stuff was really crap in the old days so I bought a 6pack to try out on Brother Jim, who was too young to drink back then. His reply in the modern era? "That's not bad!" I guess they improved. As time went along we managed to out-skunk each other by also locating Schlitz in cans, and Schaeffer. Couldn't find Carling Black Label. Knickerbocker is long out of business, as is Kruger. But Ballantyne Ale is now our holiday standby.

jlchucker
12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
I'd forgotten all about Blatz. Back in 62 I went with family to visit relatives in Milwaukee, where a beer or two was being manufactured back then. It seems like the big factory was Schlitz (we visited the plant) and there were Blatz signs on nearly every building in the city. One my relatives there hated was Miller, for some reason. I was too young then to have developed a discriminating taste. PBR today beats the hell out of any yuppie designer beer. As does Ballantine Ale when it comes to yuppie "Ales". :drinks:

Junior1942
12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
>PBR today beats the hell out of any yuppie designer beer.

+1 on that!!!! Pabst still tastes like beer.

Boz330
12-17-2008, 03:36 PM
I grew up in Cincinnati and there were 5 local brewerys, Hudepol, Weidemans, Shoenling, Burger and Bavarians. There might have been more but those are the ones I remember. Of course the city had a heavy German influence, my grandparents and great grandparents on both sides had a bunch of German mixed in.
The light beer is way too light for me. The darks just seem to have more body and taste to them. After a hot long day, what ever is available will work or as one of Jeff Dunham's puppets, Bubba J, when asked what his favorite beer was, said "COLD".:drinks:

Bob

Sprue
12-24-2008, 08:44 PM
A friend invited a few of us over for a venison lunch. One guy is bringing cookies. I was thinking of bringing wine. What wine goes along with venison?? Any other ideas what I could bring??

Thanks

Hoppin Gator

Ken O
12-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I remember Old Dutch, Falstaff besides most those mentioned. In the early 60's I mostly drank Rolling Rock because thats what my buddy's father kept in his garage fridge. Black Lable, Stoths were popular, and at one time Goeble was the most popular because they sponsered the Detroit Tiger games.

Ken O
12-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Also I'd like to add... the Light beers are B.S., I tried them, in fact I once sat down, drank a case and didn't loose a pound!

223tenx
12-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Is it tru that bere kils brane cels? I remember Stroh's sold for $0.99 for a cold six pak when I was a senior in hs and later Berger Ale was my favorite until it disappeared from the shelves. I had a bil that would only drink PBR and when he'd visit I'd have to search all over town to find any. I think it is more available now, but that was about 7-8 years ago.

Junior1942
12-28-2008, 09:43 AM
I remember Old Dutch, Falstaff besides most those mentioned. In the early 60's I mostly drank Rolling Rock because thats what my buddy's father kept in his garage fridge. Black Lable, Stoths were popular, and at one time Goeble was the most popular because they sponsered the Detroit Tiger games.Back in the early 50s Falstaff was big around north Louisiana. But they donated a pile of money to the NAACP, and I don't have to tell you what the rednecks thought about that......

jlchucker
12-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Anybody remember Sterling and Falls City, brewed in the Louisville, KY area? I drank a few barrels of those back in my Army days at Ft Knox. The Christmas dinner at my brother's this year featured, as part of the Beer Food Group, Ballantine Ale and Schlitz. :drinks:

Hipshot
01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I like Sarah with venison---------Palin that is !!!

Hipshot

BPCR Bill
01-26-2009, 09:36 PM
>PBR today beats the hell out of any yuppie designer beer.

+1 on that!!!! Pabst still tastes like beer.Fellas, I have to point out something that would probably bring you around to maybe liking those "Yuppie" designer beers. I spent 2 years in England in the mid 70's, and one thing the Brits, and Europeans in general, do well is beer. Micro-Brews have been the norm there for hundreds of years, and it's not unusual to see as many kinds of beers as there are small villages. The same thing was true here in the states for a good number of years. Then we went to the big breweries and quality, as well as selection, went south in favor of quantity. Our micro-brews now have great beers in just about any selection you'd like, and they provide jobs for our folks. Take a look, now the major breweries are once again offering premium beers in a wider selection. I'm not above hoisting a Schlitz or PBR with the guys, but I think if you try some of those beers, you'll find they're darn tasty, and you'll be "Buying American" to boot.

Regards,
Bill

01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Got some Black Label in the fridge - Oh Mable, Black Label. We used to call Ballintine, Three Ring Pete. And a toss up for my favorite, the one beer to have when you're having more than one, Schaeffer. We could never afford the Bass Ales, Molsons, Heinikins, Labatts, etc.

jlchucker
01-28-2009, 01:56 PM
725, where in heck did you find the Black Label? I had my local store check with his distributors and they claim they don't have it. I can get the store to order me as much Ballantine Ale as I want. I still have 5 bottles in the cellar, waiting for a special occasion. I need to find some Black Label though.

Suo Gan
01-31-2009, 04:55 AM
I think that the season (temperature) plays a large part on what I prefer to drink while eating red meat. In summer I like cold beer that is not too heavy and flavor killing, its pretty hard to beat ice cold Budweiser, in winter I like red wine, like a cab or merlot.

PineTreeGreen
01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
I remember Dawson's Chug a mugs. The troops paid $2.70 a case :-D