PDA

View Full Version : Newb Alert

WestKentucky
12-11-2020, 10:34 AM
Hi guys, long time lurker finally taking the plunge into casting. I’m getting in slowly but surely sometime in 2021. I have tried to avoid joining here because each forum I get on ends up costing me time and money, I’m sure y’all can relate. I have been reloading for about 25 years now and am getting into some oddball stuff that’s not easy to source bullets for so I’m declaring independence from the big bullet companies. I will start with rifle 25 caliber 60ish grain GC bullets for .256 winmag, 100ish gr 32 cal wadcutters, a simple but properly sized bullet for 38s&w, 16ga slugs, and then I will branch out to some other things I will use but are more easily found. 45 caliber muzzleloader bullets are high on my radar but I’m not sure what direction I want to go. Mine is a bastard twist TC and I don’t shoot it much because it’s neither a bullet gun or a patched ball gun.

Minerat
12-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits. Just jump right in. If you can't find the answer to a question then just ask, someone here has an answer or can direct you to the answer. There are no dumb questions on Cast Boolits. Be sure to read the rules and you will get along just fine here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=TOS

If you have site questions you can contact any of the moderators via Private Message and we will help.

Good luck with venture into making your own projectiles.

metricmonkeywrench
12-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Second Minerat's sentiments, plenty here to learn and the right place to ask. the search function will be your friend initially.

If you have not done so pretty much the "bible" and required reading for cast loading for handguns (and in general) is the Glen Fryxall book. it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

I am moderately new to reloading (6 years or so) and a virtual newby (2+ years) to casting and have more or less abandoned all the other gun and reloading sites i used to frequent in favor of this one.