PDA

View Full Version : What am I (still) doing wrong?

walker77
12-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Mold is NOE 311-242. I don't get it. Is it possible my mold is too hot? I have the mold sitting on a hot plate set to medium. Lead is straight wheel weight set to 700 degrees. Bullet is dropping at .313 at the base. I'm sizing down to .310. I'm attempting to powder coat. The PC isn't coming out perfect but I need to get this stuff fixed first.

Bazoo
12-10-2020, 08:29 PM
What are you using to size? Looks like bullets run through a lubesizer crooked. Could be bent bullets from dropping them too hot or on a too hard surface.

trapper9260
12-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Frost bullets is hot mold , for how the photo looks that it start with the nose and then work to the full bullet, once you start casting you do not need it on the hot plate just cast and let it cool a little . just pace yourself. normal frost bullets will not matter. I use them , I size and lube . I do not PC.

walker77
12-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Yes, sizing with lubesizer.

I'm trying to size before PC.

walker77
12-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Frost bullets is hot mold , for how the photo looks that it start with the nose and then work to the full bullet, once you start casting you do not need it on the hot plate just cast and let it cool a little . just pace yourself. normal frost bullets will not matter. I use them , I size and lube . I do not PC.

These are going to be subsonic 300blk. I figured PC would be better for that.

Winger Ed.
12-10-2020, 08:44 PM
The frosting is from a little too much heat, and its just on the outside as if you'd spray painted them.

The high level of shine would be normal for sizing down .003.
In a perfect world, it still does that, ya just don't notice it as much with a boolit that drops out of the mold looking chrome plated.

I'd drop down to half WW and half Lead, They should still be plenty hard.

walker77
12-10-2020, 08:48 PM
I'm more concerned with how far up its sizing.

Dusty Bannister
12-10-2020, 08:52 PM
If you are using a lube sizer, is it dry so you do not have to clean the bullets before powder coating? That is going to put a lot of resistance on that bullet going in and out of the die. If you are doing this to fresh cast bullets, you might be putting too much pressure on the soft alloy casting and that can give you the problem you are seeing. That is quite a bit of sizing down in one pass for a long soft bullet. Consider trying the Lee push through with a little lube to make it easier with less resistance which deforms the casting and by going nose first, there is less likely to be a bent bullet.

Conditor22
12-10-2020, 09:00 PM
Walker, mistake 1 is sizing in a lube sizer before PC, a little contamination on the boolit and the PC won't stick.
You would need to boil out the sizing die and make sure it is 100% clean before sizing, check the entrance to the sizer for sharp edges -- if sharp, polish smooth

Try sizing after PCing.

what powder are you using?
have you checked the heat of your oven?
How long are you baking?
Did you try the Hammer test on the PC to see if it was sticking before sizing

megasupermagnum
12-10-2020, 09:09 PM
What do the noses drop at? Bore ride should be .300"-.301". My guess is you are sizing them crooked. I'm assuming you are using a fitted top punch. If so, it is not unheard of for a lubesizer to be out of alignment. Push through sizer, such as those sold by Lee and NOE, are superior.

AlHunt
12-10-2020, 09:16 PM
How many cavities in the mold? The bottom example looks ok. The other 2 either aren't filling out or the cavity is not right.

On the other hand, if they mic ok and they're concentric, carry on with powder coating and shoot them.

I've been casting wheel weights lately and find 750 the sweet spot. Tin helps with fill out but your grooves look ok.

megasupermagnum
12-10-2020, 09:23 PM
The bottom is the worst of them. That is supposed to be a bore riding nose.

AlHunt
12-10-2020, 09:32 PM
The bottom is the worst of them. That is supposed to be a bore riding nose.

Got it. Clearly, this is something I'm not familiar with. Carry on and I'll watch and learn.

JM7.7x58
12-10-2020, 09:40 PM
NOE aluminum molds are overly coolant saturated when new. I finally got one of their mold to cast well on it’s third casting session. It had been owned by two different guys on this site, and at least one of them had cast with it before I bought it. I scrubbed it after each casting session with dish soap and a toothbrush.

Wash that mold out again. Heat it up, and then wash it again. Then hit it with some acetone or brake cleaner. And, I would smoke it one time.

When casting don’t get that mold so hot. Frosty bullets are caused by an overheated mold. To stop it you need to slow down your casting rhythm, or you can cool the mold.

JM

Huskerguy
12-10-2020, 10:11 PM
I use the Lee push through and used them on several different bullets before PC. One time it didn't work and I had a mess.

Lee says not to run a bullet without some kind of lube. Seems you have two issues here.

Yes, you are a bit too warm but a few frosty ones don't bother me. I find in any session I have some goldilocks, a few too cool, a few too hot and most just right. Perhaps just slow down a bit to find that sweet spot.

Then try to PC prior to sizing. Then you can use your lube sizer with no problems. Depending on the bullet, I may spray a little of my homemade case lube on a few bullets and it can help.

Let us know what helps.

charlie b
12-10-2020, 11:03 PM
I've also been through issues with long skinny bullets. When the mold is too hot mine look like those. The bullets are very sensitive to mold temp compared to shorter pistol and rifle bullets. You'll need to adjust your casting cadence and maybe your alloy temperature to get the noses filled out evenly.

Once you get the bullets right, then work on sizing. You will have to clean everything out good. If there is any hint of contamination then I rinse mine in acetone before coating. Then I size again after coating. I also like to use NOE push through sizing dies.

Just as a warning. You may need to size the noses of the bullets as well to fit in your bore. Most molds are designed to be a slip fit without PC. The extra .001"-.003" of coating can cause them to not chamber. I size mine to .300 before coating, then .302 after.

Three44s
12-11-2020, 12:21 AM
I would make sure your mold blocks are completely closed. Then use an intermediate sizer die to size down in steps. You might PC before any sizing. The PC will stick better before you create that mirror finish you have in the picture.

I support all the other suggestions posted here as well.

You just have to change up your MO until you get the kinks out of things.

One change at a time, however.

Three44s

walker77
12-11-2020, 08:47 AM
You guys got me wanting a lee push through setup. But I can't find one in stock at a reasonable price. I hate 2020......

Ill play around with this a little more this weekend. I think I'm close. I've made dummy rounds last week that chambered fine. I haven't been able to test any out yet. My wife said I can't shoot in the house anymore :veryconfu

Huskerguy
12-11-2020, 09:26 AM
I have several of the Lee sizers so that is all I know. I hear very good things about the NOE versions. What I have found is the Lee sizers my need to be worked on to get the exact size you want. Lee tells me they are withing .005 of the actual number and I find that true to the smaller side. YMMV

Finster101
12-11-2020, 09:39 AM
I was looking for myself and NOE has the .310 size kit in stock as of last night. That's the way I would go. Cheaper than the Lee in the long run when you want to do different sizes just buying the bushings. I use .310 for .300 Blackout.

walker77
12-11-2020, 03:14 PM
I was looking for myself and NOE has the .310 size kit in stock as of last night. That's the way I would go. Cheaper than the Lee in the long run when you want to do different sizes just buying the bushings. I use .310 for .300 Blackout.
I would still need a single stage press. I currently have a Hornady lnl AP

gwpercle
12-11-2020, 03:53 PM
NOE aluminum molds are overly coolant saturated when new. I finally got one of their mold to cast well on it’s third casting session. It had been owned by two different guys on this site, and at least one of them had cast with it before I bought it. I scrubbed it after each casting session with dish soap and a toothbrush.

Wash that mold out again. Heat it up, and then wash it again. Then hit it with some acetone or brake cleaner. And, I would smoke it one time.

When casting don’t get that mold so hot. Frosty bullets are caused by an overheated mold. To stop it you need to slow down your casting rhythm, or you can cool the mold.

JM

If you want to get the oil out ...stop with the dish soap and get out a can of acetone and an old Oral-B toothbrush ...soaking in the acetone and scrubbing ...two or three heating / cooling cycles will get the oil out .
Gary

JM7.7x58
12-11-2020, 03:53 PM
I would still need a single stage press. I currently have a Hornady lnl AP

If you go down this rabbit hole. Look at your options. I went with the old style Lee sizing dies. They have released a new style that goes along with their new sizing press.

Also take a look at NOE’s sizing system.

I’m considering switching over to the new Lee system.

JM

P.s. Yes, you do need a single stage press!

David2011
12-11-2020, 07:28 PM
The suggestion to powder coat before sizing is good advice. PC reduces the friction of sizing and the PC has a better chance of sticking to the metal.

Bashby
12-11-2020, 07:54 PM
I seem to remember when I wanted a .310, I found Lee didn’t make one, so I got a .309 and reamed it out.

charlie b
12-11-2020, 09:43 PM
During normal times Lee will make custom sizes, but, NOE has just about all the sizes at much less per bushing. NOE also have nose size dies that are a different taper that works better for that. They include special nose punches for nose sizing so you can push the bullet back out of the die. The bad part is I don't think it will work with the new Lee APP press.

Probably can't find any presses used these days. I got a Lee for $25 in the used bin of out local gun shop several years ago. I can also use my progressive without the 'advance' feature, ie a single stage. Not sure if the Hornady can do that.