PDA

View Full Version : Started this morning with a bang

Doubles Shooter
12-10-2020, 07:11 PM
I spent some time this week cleaning out my old Lyman mould master getting ready to start casting soon. Today I did my Lee drip o matic. It was 1/3 full with solid lead with 2-3" of sprues from sinker making last winter. I was sitting at the computer 10 feet away from the pot. About 15 minutes into warm up BANG!! WTH just happened? Looked in the pot and found this. It must have fallen in sometime during the last year. The only serious injury was to my *** when the wife tore into it for waking her up so suddenly at 5:15 am.

Note to self, CHECK THE POT BEFORE COOKING!!!273016

StuBach
12-10-2020, 07:46 PM
[emoji1787] this gave me a good laugh but in seriousness, glad you and equipment came out unscathed.

Winger Ed.
12-10-2020, 08:16 PM
I recognize that.
I used to wash my range brass in the kitchen sink, and dry 'em in the oven.

After the second .45ACP cooked off in the oven, all reloading activities were banned from the kitchen.

bimus
12-10-2020, 10:15 PM
I have had to replace the vacuum cleaner when it sucked up a dropped primer and blew .

ebb
12-10-2020, 10:33 PM
I have not killed a vacuum cleaner yet, but as many primers as I drop I should be on about 10.

tankgunner59
12-10-2020, 11:07 PM
I'm with ebb, I have vacuumed up a few, so far with no booms. Haven't cooked of a round in either a pot or the oven. However my wife entered her disclaimer when I began reloading and casting. "Nothing in my kitchen"!

NyFirefighter357
12-10-2020, 11:53 PM
I was once melting stray lead in a plumbers ladle to pour a few sinkers, some were old pulled bullets I had gotten from someone. All of a sudden a large flash happened, I'm guessing a tracer.

RKJ
12-11-2020, 12:00 AM
I dumped some range scrap into a pot to melt and there was a 22 LR round in with it. Those darn things are loud when they go off unexpectedly. :)

Rcmaveric
12-11-2020, 12:28 PM
I got banned from playing with molten lead in the living room.

I was doing pound cast of Grendel. Grabed a case. Grabbed my neglected label. Lit the torch to melt the lead in the label.

Once molten I poured the hot lead into the case. Bang!!!! Lead flew everywhere. I was seeing stars from the flash and my ears were ringing. Wife came out of the bathroom tripping over her pants to check on me. Was a funny sight. Still makes me giggle thinking about it.

I put on my most innocent kid face I could muster. Didn't save me though. Funny how woman get so angry afterwards. Could you atleast be happy that I still have all my fingers and toes. Sheesh woman.

Now I check cases for live primers before pouring in molten lead for pound casts.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Acorn
12-12-2020, 09:59 AM
I had a box of .357 magnums on the dashboard of my old Ford pickup come open and dump a half dozen or so down the defroster ducts. I wasn’t about to tear the dash out to liberate them. I could hear them rolling around making a turn. I used to cringe when I’d turn the blower on.

Joe504
12-12-2020, 08:16 PM
That's a very inefficient way to flux, if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NyFirefighter357
12-18-2020, 10:09 PM
I melted a bunch of range scrap, it's a good I used the lid on the dutch oven as I heard several loud pops come from the pot. I found a couple of FMJ that ruptured.

GregLaROCHE
12-19-2020, 08:40 AM
I had a 22lr go off when melting a bucket of range scrap someone gave me. I should of wised up, but kept adding scrap and another went off. After that I threw away what was left. It was pretty dirty anyway. I think I was lucky and the 22s had floated to the top of the melt before they went off. That’s what spared me from too much wrath from the tinsel fairy. Now I only melt range scrap I’ve collected myself.

blikseme300
12-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Along with giving up on WW’s as a source of alloy the excitement when a round pops cured me from mining berms. I’ll pay for good alloy, usually ISOcore, as the effort to process dubious scrap quality is no longer worth it. YMMV

GregLaROCHE
12-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Along with giving up on WW’s as a source of alloy the excitement when a round pops cured me from mining berms. I’ll pay for good alloy, usually ISOcore, as the effort to process dubious scrap quality is no longer worth it. YMMV

Even though I probably have more than I will ever use, I enjoy recovering range scrap and casting it into ingots. It’s a part of the hobby I enjoy.

jsizemore
12-20-2020, 11:19 AM
You may have to buy some suspenders after the wifey thing.

I used to burn the trash at the range on match day. Had a round cook off while I dumped a trash can. I'd already checked the can refuse for live ammo. Still got bit. Now I go through the burn barrel too.

I got a bunch of indoor range scrap once. The range officier said he'd checked and cleared all live rounds. He was good at his word. I don't regret checking 1.5 ton of range scrap for a second.

robg
12-20-2020, 11:55 AM
hope you were wearing brown trousers

green mountain boy
12-20-2020, 01:02 PM
and i once had a box of old cast rejects that i was melting down and as i added a serving spoon full the pot exploded.....it was in the kitchen and the kitchen rug was covered with lead everywhere. there was a 9mm case in the bottom of the lead pot when i was cleaning up. LUCKY BOY !!

lightman
12-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Glad you were far enough away from it and didn't get burned.

GregLaROCHE
12-24-2020, 05:14 PM
God takes care of fools, drunks and maybe now boolit casters.

gnappi
12-26-2020, 10:23 PM
It's a good ideat to not have any live ammo, primers or powder anywhere except for where they belong...

I (unknowingly) once had a live primer stuck in the heel of my shoe and I kicked something in the living room (tile floors) and it went off. The dog, cat and wife all flew out of the room like an earthquake happened :-)

Peregrine
12-26-2020, 11:12 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience Doubles Shooter, not all would but I got a good laugh at it.

My one boom reloading was when I was teaching a friend to use an RCBS hand priming tool. He had a double feed, handed it to me to fix, and being ham fisted and using force when I shouldn't have I managed to triple feed it and detonate all three. They were magnum rifle primers too, took a few seconds of stumbling around to even realize what happened.:eek::eek: