PDA

View Full Version : Doe shouldn't have crossed the fence

hc18flyer
12-10-2020, 08:52 AM
Took a nice corn fed Nebraska doe last night with my TC muzzleloader. My homemade tripod stand sits on a rise about 20 yards off a very active trail along the neighbors fenceline. Very warm 60 degree December day for us. About 4:45pm, pretty quiet in the stand, listening to an audio book on my Ipod. She spends about 15 minutes on the wrong side of the fence, then disappears behind a couple of cedars. She pops her head out about 20 yards away on my side of the fence. For five more minutes she is mostly obscured by brush, finally steps out offering a shot quartering towards me. Steep downward angle, my shot was a little high and too far back. Takes off first to my left, then appears to circle back to left, hops the fence, looks unaffected. Reload, gather my stuff, send a text to a friend hunting nearby. Only find a clump of hair at site, no blood sign. Circling in the dark for 30 minutes, finally find a little blood on the grass 50 yards away, she is15 yards further away. The Hornady PA ball-et over 75 grains of FF, worked as expected. Don't like messed up shoulders BUT, I may have just have been 'inlightened'? So you pitch 1/2# of meat, big harry deal! Now we can concentrate on getting my 14 year-old Grandson his 3rd deer. I will post a couple of camp pics and my doe. Later, Tom

Silvercreek Farmer
12-10-2020, 02:42 PM
Very nice!

Bull-Moose
12-10-2020, 02:59 PM
Outstanding!

Silvercreek Farmer
12-10-2020, 06:09 PM
Got a picture?

missionary5155
12-13-2020, 03:20 AM
Good morning and Congratulations !
Older years and no longer a thrill in crawling around looking for blood speckles makes shoulder busting all the more important.

gumbo333
12-13-2020, 10:54 AM
Good job flyer. I haven't seen a deer where I hunt since firearms season opened. Maybe this week while it is colder. Maybe January. Best of luck with your grandson. Does he shoot BP too? My 7th grade grandson didn't get close enough during rifle season, he has an older SS Knight sighted in and ready with Pyrodex, just cause I have a bunch. I also have 777 and some American Pioneer, boxed it up during housecleaning a couple years ago, hid it real good!!! Jeez.

hc18flyer
12-13-2020, 10:45 PM
We set up an elk like Camp along the Platte River East of Schuyler and 'stand hunt' morning and evening, mostly on the weekends. A friend appreciates our hunting style, so he allows us on his precious river bottom for 2 weeks of the December muzzle loading season. Friday night it snowed 4", so was especially pretty in the timber! I will resize some pics and get them posted. My Grandson had a couple opportunities, but didn't take a shot. He is a high school wrestler, which limits his time, but he has the rest of December. I prefer using 'Holy Black' in my smokepoles. Gumbo- Good luck to you and your Grandson! Hc18flyer

Scrounge
12-14-2020, 11:38 AM
Took a nice corn fed Nebraska doe last night with my TC muzzleloader. My homemade tripod stand sits on a rise about 20 yards off a very active trail along the neighbors fenceline. Very warm 60 degree December day for us. About 4:45pm, pretty quiet in the stand, listening to an audio book on my Ipod. She spends about 15 minutes on the wrong side of the fence, then disappears behind a couple of cedars. She pops her head out about 20 yards away on my side of the fence. For five more minutes she is mostly obscured by brush, finally steps out offering a shot quartering towards me. Steep downward angle, my shot was a little high and too far back. Takes off first to my left, then appears to circle back to left, hops the fence, looks unaffected. Reload, gather my stuff, send a text to a friend hunting nearby. Only find a clump of hair at site, no blood sign. Circling in the dark for 30 minutes, finally find a little blood on the grass 50 yards away, she is15 yards further away. The Hornady PA ball-et over 75 grains of FF, worked as expected. Don't like messed up shoulders BUT, I may have just have been 'inlightened'? So you pitch 1/2# of meat, big harry deal! Now we can concentrate on getting my 14 year-old Grandson his 3rd deer. I will post a couple of camp pics and my doe. Later, Tom

So you shot her for trespassing? :)

I believe it has now been about 40 years since I last ate venison. Did get to eat an elk steak about 22 years ago, visiting my family in Colorado. Miss them both. I haven't had access to a place to hunt since I left home in 1973. I envy you! Enjoy!

444ttd
12-14-2020, 12:32 PM
great deer!!!!!!

country gent
12-15-2020, 12:49 PM
crossing the fence line out west was always a risky thing to do LOL congratulations doe can be real good eating

Bowhunter73
12-15-2020, 06:12 PM
Congrats on taking a nice doe

Winger Ed.
12-15-2020, 06:54 PM
In mid-evil times over in Europe, they'd post signs in the forest & woods warning the animals not to
do crop damage or get into various other forms of mischief.

Maybe you could do the same for the deer.
Post a sign like you see in the safari/wild life parks with big cats in them:

"No Trespassing violators will be eaten".